Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ok Just A Thought About The Defense....

betheafan41

I know alot of you say its unrealistic but after reading this article about the upcoming free agents in the NFL it says its highly unlikely the texans tag Mario Williams because then he will be owed 22 million and the team will have cap issues since they have to resign foster. so unless he works with the texans and signs a home town discount of a contract he will hit the open market.....now only a thought so every one stay calm and dont get hostle with this lol.....

what if the colts dont resign mathis and sign Mario Williams to be an OLB in a 3-4 defense? him on the other side of freeney (if he is whilling to play standing up as an OLB pass rusher) those two could cause some serious damage to QB's. Williams is only 27, so he still has a few years left. and if and i mean IF the colts dont resign mathis, and dont pick up mannings option this could work.

thoughts? heres the link

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/02/09/offseason.questions/index.html?xid=cnnbin

Williams didn't do bad, but he wasn't a natural fit as an OLB. I think he would probably be more likely to join a 3-4 team. I personally would rather have Mathis standing up than Williams. Mathis really is an athletic freak. I would have to guess he would even drop some bulk if he re-signs. Keep in mind, a lot of the time one OLB blitzes and one covers the flats (zone blitz), but sometimes they both backpedal into coverage. I think Mario's height has to be a detriment in coverage to an extent. It is difficult to be extremely agile laterally when you are that tall.

I would be very happy with the pick up but Dwight isn't going to play olb in the 3/4. I even have my doubts about Mathis being able to, if retained?

yeah thats why i brought this up. but i didnt even put Williams height to thought either. figured with his speed and good pass coverage he could cover guys like gronkowski or hernandez since the colts do play New England again next year. and having green bay on the schedule maybe even cover finley too. idk it was a thought couldnt hurt to bring it up lol

I wasn't dissing you, I apologize if it came across that way. I like that you are thinking outside the box and I would love Williams as a Colt. My only fear is that if Indy goes 3/4, that trying to convert two (Freeney and Mathis, if retained) over 30 hand down 4/3 pass rushers to 3/4 olbs, is going to be very difficult if not impossible. Just my opinion and that isn't a proffesional one ;)

I wasn't dissing you, I apologize if it came across that way. I like that you are thinking outside the box and I would love Williams as a Colt. My only fear is that if Indy goes 3/4, that trying to convert two (Freeney and Mathis, if retained) over 30 hand down 4/3 pass rushers to 3/4 olbs, is going to be very difficult if not impossible. Just my opinion and that isn't a proffesional one ;)

oh in no way was i thinking you were dissing me lol. I understood what you were meaning. I was just meaning in a sence that the colts dont retain Mathis. i guess they could put freeney at a DT kinda run the " NASCAR " formation that the giants use with DE's on the line. but yeah i agree using freeney and mathis as OLB in a 3-4 defense would be very difficult. and i couldnt really see it happening. i guess in a dream world sence it could lol