Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What's Our 2012 Record/

oldunclemark

With the players we have now...

..assuming that Reggie, Mathis and Garcon (who may get the franchise tag)

..all return....next season...

.......replace Manning with Luck.....and resign Danny O.....

....and fill our needs as best we can with the other picks...

....assuming our injured defensive players return healthy..

..assuming some improvement in the offensive line...

......and 1,000 yards for Donald Brown (I just thought I'd throw that in)

....and keeping in mind who we play....

...after 16 games...

what's our record.???

Your thoughts....

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously? We don't even have a set roster yet. Wait a few months.

But CFG....

We've had the same core players on offense and defense for 3 years....

They are nap-town household names.....

Brackett, Bullit, Freeney, Mathis...Clark, Saturday, Garcon, Wayne, Addai, Brown , Collie, Tamme

..assuming we keep that core......

...what's the best we can hope for?

Peyton 12-5

Luck 3-16 (Mannings first season record)

so with Peyton, we are going to play 17 regular season games...but with Luck, we are going to play 19 regular season games....thats strange, especially since we have only played 16 regular season games per year for as long as i can remember! lol

But CFG....

We've had the same core players on offense and defense for 3 years....

They are nap-town household names.....

Brackett, Bullit, Freeney, Mathis...Clark, Saturday, Garcon, Wayne, Addai, Brown , Collie, Tamme

..assuming we keep that core......

...what's the best we can hope for?

We can't assume we'll keep them all

Tamme, Saturday, Garcon, Wayne, and Mathis are all free agents and if we keep Peyton we can't keep them all. By the same token if we don't keep Peyton it probably wouldn't make sense to keep them all.

Add to that Freeney and Clark both have very high cap numbers and need their contracts addressed in some shape or form which could result in them not being here next season and then the fact that Brackett, Addai and Bullitt might just be released because we have had other players take over their roles and then the only guys on that list that we know for sure that will be back next season are Brown and Collie. Everyone else you can make a case for not coming back. I don't think we will lose everyone but I am not going to sit here and think that all of them are coming back either.

That also leaves the question of who our QB will be. Will it be Manning? If it is what kind of shape is Manning in? Even if he's 100% physically keep in mind how out of sorts he looked in the first half of the 2008 season when come back from injury. You can't tell me missing a year of football wont have some kinda impact on him. Also there is the chance that Manning comes back and still has to miss a few games this season although I view that scenario as highly unlikely. Is the QB a rookie in the form of Luck or RG3? I don't think anyone is going to have close to the same expectations for a rookie QB lead team as they will for a Peyton Manning lead team.

There is also the factor of free agency in the draft both of which could change the shape of our team. Maybe the Colts do something crazy on draft day and pull a deal to get another first round pick in addation to the QB that will change how this team looks. Maybe some body slips to them with a draft pick and we get a major steal in the draft. Maybe they do go get a big name free agent on offense or defense.

We don't even know for sure what kind of defense we are going to running next year (although the signs seem to be point to a 3-4 but Pagano has also hinted at using a hybrid style that he used in Baltimore) let alone what the team is going to look like.

We can't assume we'll keep them all

Tamme, Saturday, Garcon, Wayne, and Mathis are all free agents and if we keep Peyton we can't keep them all. By the same token if we don't keep Peyton it probably wouldn't make sense to keep them all.

Add to that Freeney and Clark both have very high cap numbers and need their contracts addressed in some shape or form which could result in them not being here next season and then the fact that Brackett, Addai and Bullitt might just be released because we have had other players take over their roles and then the only guys on that list that we know for sure that will be back next season are Brown and Collie. Everyone else you can make a case for not coming back. I don't think we will lose everyone but I am not going to sit here and think that all of them are coming back either.

That also leaves the question of who our QB will be. Will it be Manning? If it is what kind of shape is Manning in? Even if he's 100% physically keep in mind how out of sorts he looked in the first half of the 2008 season when come back from injury. You can't tell me missing a year of football wont have some kinda impact on him. Also there is the chance that Manning comes back and still has to miss a few games this season although I view that scenario as highly unlikely. Is the QB a rookie in the form of Luck or RG3? I don't think anyone is going to have close to the same expectations for a rookie QB lead team as they will for a Peyton Manning lead team.

There is also the factor of free agency in the draft both of which could change the shape of our team. Maybe the Colts do something crazy on draft day and pull a deal to get another first round pick in addation to the QB that will change how this team looks. Maybe some body slips to them with a draft pick and we get a major steal in the draft. Maybe they do go get a big name free agent on offense or defense.

We don't even know for sure what kind of defense we are going to running next year (although the signs seem to be point to a 3-4 but Pagano has also hinted at using a hybrid style that he used in Baltimore) let alone what the team is going to look like.

Right, GoC...

But, again, if we keep the core with Andrew Luck?

What do you think.....?

If we plug in Luck..with the old guard of receivers..

our 2 young lineman....in the O-line......and some quality catchers....with my man Donald Brown.

..is it just pessimism to say 4-12, 6-10 at best...?

To me..there are no throw away years in pro sports...you dont give up a year

9-7 just won the Super Bowl..could we Luck out and go 9-7?

Right, GoC...

But, again, if we keep the core with Andrew Luck?

What do you think.....?

If we plug in Luck..with the old guard of receivers..

our 2 young lineman....in the O-line......and some quality catchers....with my man Donald Brown.

..is it just pessimism to say 4-12, 6-10 at best...?

To me..there are no throw away years in pro sports...you dont give up a year

9-7 just won the Super Bowl..could we Luck out and go 9-7?

I don't know because I don't think we are going to keep the whole core and that doesn't account for other free agents who might come in (for example if we release Peyton maybe we take a run at someone like Jackson to give Luck a true number one WR) and who else we get in the draft that could very well change things. Also as much as I like Luck I have no idea what he will look like as a pro. That's why I normally don't guess a team's record till I at least get to see them in the pre-season.

I don't know because I don't think we are going to keep the whole core and that doesn't account for other free agents who might come in (for example if we release Peyton maybe we take a run at someone like Jackson to give Luck a true number one WR) and who else we get in the draft that could very well change things. Also as much as I like Luck I have no idea what he will look like as a pro. That's why I normally don't guess a team's record till I at least get to see them in the pre-season.

That's a good point...Free agents who might not fit with Manning's 'instinct...at the line scheme' like Wayne and Clark do...

..might flourish with a strong-armed Luck in a more conventional scheme.

I would love true speed in the LOS....

When Donald Brown (my guy) is your fastest offensive player...you arent that fast..

That's a good point...Free agents who might not fit with Manning's 'instinct...at the line scheme' like Wayne and Clark do...

..might flourish with a strong-armed Luck in a more conventional scheme.

I would love true speed in the LOS....

When Donald Brown (my guy) is your fastest offensive player...you arent that fast..

I'd say with all due respect to Donald, Garcon is our fastest player on offense.

I'd say with all due respect to Donald, Garcon is our fastest player on offense.

I would hope we put the franchise tag on Pierre Garcon....

Garcon, Collie and Brown gives us at least some young offense that would survive any 'renovation' of the offense

....I think Wayne proved he can catch passes from anyone last year...

...again all this thread assumes is that Manning will not (or can not) be coming back...

Franchise tag on Garcon means you either give him the average of the top 5 players at the WR position or 120% of his last years salary which ever is more is what he gets. For a WR that's about $9.4 million. I like Garcon but in no way is he worth that much money, maybe about half of that, he drops too many passes to be paid like a top tier WR.

with Peyton....10-6.

with Luck........5-11.

but I agree. The draft and FA hasnt even happened. Impossible to really make a good guess at all.

I have a feeling we may be pretty good with Luck and Pagano leading us next year. With us having an improved defense, OL, and running game, not to mention an actual franchise QB playing for us next year should make us around 8-8. Remember our schedule is much more weak next year.

I would hope we put the franchise tag on Pierre Garcon....

Garcon, Collie and Brown gives us at least some young offense that would survive any 'renovation' of the offense

....I think Wayne proved he can catch passes from anyone last year...

...again all this thread assumes is that Manning will not (or can not) be coming back...

Garcon isn't worth nearly what the franchise tag would pay him.

Healthy Manning: 11-5

Gimpy Manning: Won't play

Luck: 8-8

Other: I predicted we'd win 4 games tops without Manning this past season. We were more putrid than I thought and only won 2.

An actual head coach should be good for a couple more wins. Plus whatever we get through the draft to sure up positional needs. (Which is, well, almost everything.) ._. I'll say 4-12 at best with any other QB not named Brees.

If we start Luck, don't be so quick to pencil the Colts as a sub .500 team. I remember the Bengals were the team everyone thought was gonna stink before the season started. Heck people had mock drafts for 2012 with them picking first and selecting andrew luck. What im saying is, anything can happen. I doubt it will happen for us, though. But it could. With a good o-line and a go to reciever for luck, i could see this team be above .500.

If we start Luck, don't be so quick to pencil the Colts as a sub .500 team. I remember the Bengals were the team everyone thought was gonna stink before the season started. Heck people had mock drafts for 2012 with them picking first and selecting andrew luck. What im saying is, anything can happen. I doubt it will happen for us, though. But it could. With a good o-line and a go to reciever for luck, i could see this team be above .500.

Without question anything can happen but I think the Bengals got better by subtration during the off-season. I think Chad and Palmer were bigger headaches than most realized. I also think people greatly underestimated the Bengals defense. I am not sure if the Colts are in as good of a spot as the Bengals were last year and that's to take nothing away from the job Dalton and Green did. You are right no one had high expecations for them and they proved a lot of people wrong.

Without question anything can happen but I think the Bengals got better by subtration during the off-season. I think Chad and Palmer were bigger headaches than most realized. I also think people greatly underestimated the Bengals defense. I am not sure if the Colts are in as good of a spot as the Bengals were last year and that's to take nothing away from the job Dalton and Green did. You are right no one had high expecations for them and they proved a lot of people wrong.

Chad and Palmer had a good thing going for a year or so. The problem is the Bengals FO surrounded them with garbage and then Palmer got hurt when they hit their climax and it was never the same. Frankly, I don't blame them for wanting out. The Bengals did them like many think we're about to do to Peyton. Only when they (Chad & Palmer) were done with the mess did the Bengals surround them with better talent, not coincidentally that included players to replace them.

Dustin...isnt Garcon would more than Reggie....right now...?

Garcon is Wayne's successor..Reggie's got 2 or 3 more years at best

I just don't think that Garcon is worth the average salary of the top 5 receivers in the league. I want him back, but would much rather he signed a long-term contract that will reflect his production, then pay him upwards of $15 mill for a single season.

I just don't think that Garcon is worth the average salary of the top 5 receivers in the league. I want him back, but would much rather he signed a long-term contract that will reflect his production, then pay him upwards of $15 mill for a single season.

he wouldnt get $15 mil...with a tag..who gets that?

Garcon is the one you cant afford to lose going forward...

I agree to sign him long term but we may not be in a position to do that.

he wouldnt get $15 mil...with a tag..who gets that?

Garcon is the one you cant afford to lose going forward...

I agree to sign him long term but we may not be in a position to do that.

That was just a guess. All I know is it's a lot for a guy who hasn't had a 1,000 yard season.