Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any soccer fans on this forum?


Recommended Posts

I've been on this forum for a while and I've never noticed any soccer discussions. I know soccer isn't as popular as the Big 4 in America (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB), but it's my second favorite sport behind football, and soccer is the biggest sport in the world. Honestly, I find the other three sports (basketball, baseball, and hockey) to be incredibly boring. 

 

I guess this can be a general soccer thread, whether domestic soccer (MLS) or foreign soccer (La Liga, Premier League, etc.). Who are your favorite teams and players?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I born, raised and live in Europe, so for me, soccer is the favourite teamsport, even ahead of football. (Actually, "football" means soccer over here, and we call US football "american football". So I guess I'm just a football fan after all :) )

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/14/2017 at 3:35 AM, Peterk2011 said:

I born, raised and live in Europe, so for me, soccer is the favourite teamsport, even ahead of football. (Actually, "football" means soccer over here, and we call US football "american football". So I guess I'm just a football fan after all :) )

 

What part of Europe? I have spent some time there. Do you follow the EPL? Which league? Team?  How about MLS? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, akcolt said:

What part of Europe? I have spent some time there. Do you follow the EPL? Which league? Team?  How about MLS? 

 

Well, I live mostly in Hungary, when not in Germany / Switzerland due to business. (I was born and raised as hungarian, then moved to England for cca a decade to work there - i'm an IT guy -, then moved back to Hungary to start my own business.) I still go to England few times a year. Chelsea is my team over there, I usually watch their games when i'm there. But I'm not picky, I watch any London team depending on which game fits my schedule. Here in Hungary, there's a local team I kinda follow. It's not a major franchise, so you might never heard of it's name (Ferencvaros). And of course I watch Champions League. MLS is out of my sight, there's too many soccer already to watch over here. :) I kinda watched last year's MLS playoff though. There was a hungarian guy (Krisztian Nemeth) playing for Kansas City, who I knew personally. He moved back to Europe, so not much MLS for me since.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

 

Well, I live mostly in Hungary, when not in Germany / Switzerland due to business. (I was born and raised as hungarian, then moved to England for cca a decade to work there - i'm an IT guy -, then moved back to Hungary to start my own business.) I still go to England few times a year. Chelsea is my team over there, I usually watch their games when i'm there. But I'm not picky, I watch any London team depending on which game fits my schedule. Here in Hungary, there's a local team I kinda follow. It's not a major franchise, so you might never heard of it's name (Ferencvaros). And of course I watch Champions League. MLS is out of my sight, there's too many soccer already to watch over here. :) I kinda watched last year's MLS playoff though. There was a hungarian guy (Krisztian Nemeth) playing for Kansas City, who I knew personally. He moved back to Europe, so not much MLS for me since.

The closest I came to Hungary was Prague I guess  Vienna is closer. I do like to go to the see the smaller clubs too. The sport has such an intense following outside the US at every level. I support Arsenal in the EPL while Chelsea isn't as bad as the Spurs. I'm not fan of the Blues especially after "the chosen one" managed their side. I don't care for that guy.

 

The Gunners are poised for a title run. We brought in Lacazette and Mahrez wants to come over. It looks like Lemar might be in the mix too  If we have Sanchez Ozil and Mahrez with Lacazette up top of our 4-3-3-1. We shoild not have a problem putting the ball in the back of the net. I got the CL dig The first time since Wenger took over we are out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, akcolt said:

The closest I came to Hungary was Prague I guess  Vienna is closer. I do like to go to the see the smaller clubs too. The sport has such an intense following outside the US at every level. I support Arsenal in the EPL while Chelsea isn't as bad as the Spurs.

 

Vienna is cca 40 mins drive from my house, it's close, even in European measures. :) Yeah, soccer is popular at every level over here. And unlike US major sports, soccer is an around the clock thing, it's off for only 3-4 weeks a year. The 2017 season already started, teams already playing either league or cup, or international games. Once you're in, you're in all year. Wife loves it lol :D

I like what Wenger does with the Gunners, they're always fun to watch. It's not him, but the way soccer business works, hold them back from winning more. I think football will see it's own cap system to keep it competitive. Not in a year or two, but eventually.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

 

Vienna is cca 40 mins drive from my house, it's close, even in European measures. :) Yeah, soccer is popular at every level over here. And unlike US major sports, soccer is an around the clock thing, it's off for only 3-4 weeks a year. The 2017 season already started, teams already playing either league or cup, or international games. Once you're in, you're in all year. Wife loves it lol :D

I like what Wenger does with the Gunners, they're always fun to watch. It's not him, but the way soccer business works, hold them back from winning more. I think football will see it's own cap system to keep it competitive. Not in a year or two, but eventually.

We are finally spending money signing. Lacazette looks like Mahrez might be coming. We are after Lemar and now rumored to be on Muller. We are playing Bayern right now about 15 mins to go down 1-0

 

The USMNT had a big 3-0 win vs Nicaragua in the Gold Cup. We needed all 3 to win the group. It was a crazy match missing 2 PK's then finally got the 3rd goal in the 88th. We play El Salvador tonight.

 

I went to the Semi Finals of the Gold Cup about 10yrs ago st Soldier Field It was fun the Mexican supporters We on Donovan all night. It was nothing like an EPL game. I saw Arsenal away vs Everton that's rowdy. The Timbers in Portland gets pretty rowdy The US needs something to get behind. 

 

The Men's team looks like we finally have that guy in Publisic. I think we might finally make some noise in the WC. That kid can play I think the sport might really take off in the states during this next World Cup. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love to watch "good" soccer. Sadly everything over here is shall I say rubbish. lol   I can't stand to watch poor passing, poor ball control, and no creativity. I can't watch MLS. Seems like the only time things open up or a team scores is because a guy basically falls down or makes some bone-headed penalty in the box because he is a hot head. I don't have a lot of time to watch but if I get a premier league game with some top contenders or say La Liga even more rarely I love to sit and watch how fluid the games are for the most part. Its like a total different sport honestly. Watching Barcelona pass the ball and the way guys like Messi open up the field for his teammates is honestly inspiring.....American soccer....not so much. I do usually watch the World Cup when it comes around. Some teams are better to watch then others. I love the passion of the S American teams and the craftsmanship of the European and then you have the Netherlands and Germany who are so efficient....and I just think why in a country of our wealth and size can we not find 11 elite players...baffling. But I do like the sport at the highest level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2017 at 7:48 PM, oldunclemark said:

will someone please explain EL Classico to me,.

 

I don't understand why Barcelona and Real Madrid are playing in Miami

..what are they playing for?

Champions League I think.  I think it's the top teams from different leagues battling it out for supremacy.  I could be wrong though.

 

I like top soccer and I love watching the U.S. in country vs. country battles like World Cup, Olympics, Gold Cup, etc.  I don't really like any one team in the league play teams though, just enjoy watching good matches such as the "El Classico" you are referring to, which was a very entertaining match to watch IMHO.  I have been watching more of the German league play lately and they seem to have a very interesting style from what I can see, very team oriented.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seemed to be exciting for everyone there...but it was just an exhibition, right?

 

I like offensive stars and it was good to see the elites...but I dont understand the structure and why anybody cares about what they call 'friendlies' 

 

I agree with you. I like the World Cup, the Gold Cup..things like that where I understand the structure of the tourney.

I was actually rooting for the Jamaican 'Reggae Boys' against the USA..just took a liking to them in the Gold Cup

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

 

On 7/29/2017 at 4:48 PM, oldunclemark said:

will someone please explain EL Classico to me,.

 

I don't understand why Barcelona and Real Madrid are playing in Miami

..what are they playing for?

El Classico is the name given to any match between football giants Real Madrid and Barcelona. It used to have to be on Spanish soil to be an El Classico but now the term is applied to all matches featuring those two sides. The reasons They hate each other the matches are very intense the fans really go at it and they are today and historically two of the biggest and best clubs in the world. It's Ronaldo vs Messi widely thought of as the 2 best players. 

 

It's a little like IU and Purdue used to be Then multiple the intensity I say used to be I don't live in the state anymore. I don't know for sure but it seems to have lost some intensity. I see people hanging out together in red and black even drinking together When I was a kid you were claimed at birth to be for IU or PU. No one kind of liked Purdue or the General You loved or hated them. Fortunately my blanket was crimson and cream.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Barca and Real Madrid play the first leg of the Supercopa tomorrow. It's going to be intense, like always, since it's a Clasico. 

 

In other news, Barca is linked to Paulinho, who sucks. This is reminding me of Grigson levels of management. 

 

I hope we can at least sign Dembele. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2017 at 6:48 PM, oldunclemark said:

will someone please explain EL Classico to me,.

 

I don't understand why Barcelona and Real Madrid are playing in Miami

..what are they playing for?

It's a preseason match in the US. El Clasico is any match between Real and Barcelona, as answered above.

 

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

        I watched that game and they never explained what you just said...

 

So its as if they call an IU-Purdue game...another 'El Hoosierio'

It's like an intense rivalry between the two teams that happens multiple games throughout the season. It's like that, if they gave IU-Purdue games a name, and probably a lot more intense.

 

On 7/31/2017 at 4:54 AM, oldunclemark said:

It seemed to be exciting for everyone there...but it was just an exhibition, right?

 

I like offensive stars and it was good to see the elites...but I dont understand the structure and why anybody cares about what they call 'friendlies' 

 

I agree with you. I like the World Cup, the Gold Cup..things like that where I understand the structure of the tourney.

I was actually rooting for the Jamaican 'Reggae Boys' against the USA..just took a liking to them in the Gold Cup

No one really cares about friendlies. It's a good way to watch the backups though. And yes, that was an exhibition match, or preseason. Clasico games make a lot of money and the US is a big market so it makes sense to play a game there, even if it isn't regular season. What do you not understand the structure of? A soccer season?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...