Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our New Strength And Conditioning Coach... Thoughts?

GoGoColts

That is precisly my point. Their coaches only go to weekend certifications which is why it is so bad. I think that they coaches spend a lot of time bad-mouthing legitimate training so that the newbies that survive are totally brainwashed.

If this is the case, then it is shoddy business. It would seem that they have over expanded and care more about getting warm bodies in the gym to make money than to offer a quality product. This would put clients at risk. But that doesn't mean that the workouts are necessarily bad. It means they have been implemented incorrectly.

I have extensively searched out the best workouts because I have injured myself working out and playing sports. I have had physical therapists and personal trainers. So, I do have an eye for good form and good teaching. I have also seen an excellent Crossfit instructor that has successfully trained numerous mma fighters, practitioners of jiu jitsu, judo, high school wrestlers, football players, and competitive olympic style weightlifters. I've personally seen him in action. The sessions were difficult but they were safe and proper form was taught. I'm not saying that is typical. That was just one session. I will say that I saw a lot of positive results from the workouts in the physique and stamina in the fighters at my dojo. It just didn't fit into my schedule or my budget.

I don't have a dog in this race. I could really care less if crossfit is legit or not. However, you can't just make a blanket statement that all of the trainers train wrecklessly and don't look after the safety of their trainees. You are taking a few YouTube videos and an article as empirical data and it is not.

Furthermore, it was your assertion that Crossfit may have been responsible for Colts being injured. I pointed you to a legal case with expert opinions and in the opinion of a therapist, Crossfit should not be dangerous to people who are as physically fit as football players.

Like I said in response to another poster, I am glad to see someone fresh come in because whatever was going on was not working. I hope that the new regimen will help keep players on the field. However, I am not going to blame it all on Crossfit unless I see some hard data. And watching some YouTube video is not is not going to provide that. So pardon me if I don't find your YouTube argument to be conclusive.

Crossfit and it's claims are junk. If a person gets a crossfit cert. They subscribe to junk science. Whether they are caring, considerate, or what, it's junk. As far as a crossfit coach having success, even a broken clock is right twice per day.

As for Crossfit being the downfall fo the Colts NO, I said, "Crossfit style nonsense." This meaning that the S&C coach was spening too much time on conditiong and not enough time with the ol' fashioned strength training.

Crossfit and it's claims are junk. If a person gets a crossfit cert. They subscribe to junk science. Whether they are caring, considerate, or what, it's junk. As far as a crossfit coach having success, even a broken clock is right twice per day.

As for Crossfit being the downfall fo the Colts NO, I said, "Crossfit style nonsense." This meaning that the S&C coach was spening too much time on conditiong and not enough time with the ol' fashioned strength training.

But your premise is wrong. Strength training doesn't prevent injuries. No training does that. However, flexibility and endurance training can help lessen the liklihood of strains and sprains, and can aid in quicker recovery time.

Try supporting that. LOL If you found anything supporting that, it would be a non-contact sport. I am embarrassed for you.

I am more embarrassed that I feel compelled to educate you. So I have provided just a few tidbits. Now, to make a clarification, I have misused the word flexibility. I said flexibility when I should have said full range of motion. I never intended to give the impression that football players should be able to contort themselves as gymnist do. That would weaken the connective tissue and would not support the joint. Special attention must be given to full range of natural motion and not going beyond that (refer to the thrid reference). If you take issue with the term I used I apologize. But range of motion is necessary to be able to function as an athlete.

I think you are either misunderstanding, ignoring, or not reading all of my posts in response to you. I am all in favor of strengthening the body. I am not in favor of bodybuilding. Hypertrophy, which is the aim of building, limits the range of motion and adds unnecessary bulk. Football players don't need to be able to bench press or curl an opponent. They need explosive strength. That is why am in favor of power lifting. Olympic lifts combine speed and strength to create power. You move a lot more weight with compound movements that use speed and force than you can when you isolate muscles and focus on one movement. Compound (i.e. multijoint) exercises use full range of motion and thus teach lifters how to use strength throughout the full range. This keeps the joints, ligaments, tendons strong yet flexible. I am all for strength training, as long it doesn't inhibit range of motion.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stretching/HQ01447

"The main benefits of stretching are thought to be:

• Improving athletic performance
  • Decreasing the risk of activity-based injuries

Stretching can help improve flexibility. And better flexibility may improve your performance in physical activities or decrease your risk of injuries by helping your joints move through their full range of motion. For instance, say your Achilles tendon is tight and lacks flexibility. If you do a lot of hill walking, your foot may not move through its full range of motion. Over time, this can increase your risk of tendinitis or tendinopathy in your Achilles tendon. Stretching your Achilles tendon, though, may improve the range of motion in your ankle. This, in turn, can decrease the risk of microtrauma to your tendon that can lead to overload and injury.

Stretching also increases blood flow to the muscle. And you may come to enjoy the ritual of stretching before — or better yet, after — hitting the trail, ballet floor or soccer field. "

http://www.unco.edu/shc/topics/sprains.htm

"Prevention

The best way to prevent sprains or strains is to keep you in good physical shape, so that your muscles, ligaments, and tendons are strong and flexible enough to resist trauma. To prevent recurring injury, ask your doctor for exercises designed to rehabilitate the muscles in the injured area. If you are overweight, ask about an appropriate diet and general conditioning program.

Tips developed by the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons to help reduce your injury risk:

1. Participate in a conditioning program to build muscle strength.
  2. Do stretching exercises daily."

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/flexibility.html

"3. Connective Tissue

Deep connective tissue such as fascia and tendons can limit ROM. In particular, two characteristics of connective tissue, elasticity and plasticity are related to ROM. Elasticity is defined as the ability to return to the original resting length after a passive stretch (5). Plasticity can be defined as the tendency to assume a new and greater length after a passive stretch (5).

Ligaments do not seem to display any elastic properties. However, with exposure to stretching they may extend to a new length (9). The strength and conditioning coach must remember that increased mobility in the ligaments reduces the stability of the joint - often an unfavorable adaptation, particularly in contact sports.

4. Muscle Bulk & Weight Training

Hypertrophy of skeletal muscle can adversely affect ROM. It may be difficult for very bulky athletes to complete certain stretches such as an overhead triceps stretch. However, in these athletes, significant muscles mass is usually move favorable to their sport than extreme ROM.

Resistance training can increase flexibility (6) although when heavy loads are used within a limited ROM, weight training can reduce flexibility (7)."

I am not trying to be a jerk. I'm trying to show you that standard weightlifting is not enough to prevent injuries.

I am more embarrassed that I feel compelled to educate you. So I have provided just a few tidbits. Now, to make a clarification, I have misused the word flexibility. I said flexibility when I should have said full range of motion. I never intended to give the impression that football players should be able to contort themselves as gymnist do. That would weaken the connective tissue and would not support the joint. Special attention must be given to full range of natural motion and not going beyond that (refer to the thrid reference). If you take issue with the term I used I apologize. But range of motion is necessary to be able to function as an athlete.

I think you are either misunderstanding, ignoring, or not reading all of my posts in response to you. I am all in favor of strengthening the body. I am not in favor of bodybuilding. Hypertrophy, which is the aim of building, limits the range of motion and adds unnecessary bulk. Football players don't need to be able to bench press or curl an opponent. They need explosive strength. That is why am in favor of power lifting. Olympic lifts combine speed and strength to create power. You move a lot more weight with compound movements that use speed and force than you can when you isolate muscles and focus on one movement. Compound (i.e. multijoint) exercises use full range of motion and thus teach lifters how to use strength throughout the full range. This keeps the joints, ligaments, tendons strong yet flexible. I am all for strength training, as long it doesn't inhibit range of motion.

http://www.mayoclini...etching/HQ01447

"The main benefits of stretching are thought to be:

• Improving athletic performance
  • Decreasing the risk of activity-based injuries

Stretching can help improve flexibility. And better flexibility may improve your performance in physical activities or decrease your risk of injuries by helping your joints move through their full range of motion. For instance, say your Achilles tendon is tight and lacks flexibility. If you do a lot of hill walking, your foot may not move through its full range of motion. Over time, this can increase your risk of tendinitis or tendinopathy in your Achilles tendon. Stretching your Achilles tendon, though, may improve the range of motion in your ankle. This, in turn, can decrease the risk of microtrauma to your tendon that can lead to overload and injury.

Stretching also increases blood flow to the muscle. And you may come to enjoy the ritual of stretching before — or better yet, after — hitting the trail, ballet floor or soccer field. "

http://www.unco.edu/...ics/sprains.htm

"Prevention

The best way to prevent sprains or strains is to keep you in good physical shape, so that your muscles, ligaments, and tendons are strong and flexible enough to resist trauma. To prevent recurring injury, ask your doctor for exercises designed to rehabilitate the muscles in the injured area. If you are overweight, ask about an appropriate diet and general conditioning program.

Tips developed by the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons to help reduce your injury risk:

1. Participate in a conditioning program to build muscle strength.
  2. Do stretching exercises daily."

http://www.sport-fit...lexibility.html

"3. Connective Tissue

Deep connective tissue such as fascia and tendons can limit ROM. In particular, two characteristics of connective tissue, elasticity and plasticity are related to ROM. Elasticity is defined as the ability to return to the original resting length after a passive stretch (5). Plasticity can be defined as the tendency to assume a new and greater length after a passive stretch (5).

Ligaments do not seem to display any elastic properties. However, with exposure to stretching they may extend to a new length (9). The strength and conditioning coach must remember that increased mobility in the ligaments reduces the stability of the joint - often an unfavorable adaptation, particularly in contact sports.

4. Muscle Bulk & Weight Training

Hypertrophy of skeletal muscle can adversely affect ROM. It may be difficult for very bulky athletes to complete certain stretches such as an overhead triceps stretch. However, in these athletes, significant muscles mass is usually move favorable to their sport than extreme ROM.

Resistance training can increase flexibility (6) although when heavy loads are used within a limited ROM, weight training can reduce flexibility (7)."

I am not trying to be a jerk. I'm trying to show you that standard weightlifting is not enough to prevent injuries.

I am more embarrassed that you posted something to refute my assertion, but it actually supports it.

I am more embarrassed that you posted something to refute my assertion, but it actually supports it.

What is your assertion? That being flexible is useless? That is what I against. Read the posts. You are just being pig headed. Are you reading one or two lines and dismissing the rest?Researching work puts is my hobby. I love to read about them. Two of my best friends are certified personal trainers and firemen. They are extremely knowledgable about different workouts. I'm not exactly ignorant about exercise. I don't everything. I have stated over and over that power lifting is needed but you seem to overlook that point. If you want to have a civilized discussion, then let's do it. Otherwise what you're doing is trolling. Don't be mad when people disagree. I'm just trying to explain that I favor a well balanced fitness routine for the Colts. One the includes full range of motion, explosive lifting, compound lifts, and endurance training. Lifting by itself will not cut it. Do you agree or disagree with that? Why or why not? That's all there is to it. No need for your persistent disrespect.