Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patty Mac takes more shots at grigson

CR91

I was in pretty strong support of Pat when Grigson was let go and that first round of tweets came out. However, its gonna be hard to continue to back up Pat's brand of scrutiny here, even though Grigson continues to sound like a major jerk. Which, is also a disappointing fact, while as Colts fans we were all put in the position of supporting him and attempting to give him the benefit of the doubt for multiple seasons as well...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you wanna make the argument that mocking Grigson had a limited comedy shelf life now that we have a new GM in Ballard, that seems reasonable. 

Kind of like making jokes about Jim Mora in 2017. Okay, I will admit his "Playoffs?" line never gets old. Perhaps that's not the best case for me to make on dated material that loses it's potency & luster over time. 

Pat wouldn't keep making Ryan jokes if his audience didn't still want or demand it though. 

8 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Speaking on behalf of every Canadian, we do not want him.

What makes this post funny is your shall we say your Maple Leaf intro 21. 

Like a strike in bowling that you can feel coming even before you release the ball, that set up is priceless. :hat:

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

If you wanna make the argument that mocking Grigson had a limited comedy shelf life now that we have a new GM in Ballard, that seems reasonable. 

Kind of like making jokes about Jim Mora in 2017. Okay, I will admit his "Playoffs?" line never gets old. Perhaps that's not the best case for me to make on dated material that loses it's potency & luster over time. 

Pat wouldn't keep making Ryan jokes if his audience didn't still want or demand it though. 

That Jim Mora clip will never get old. Mora's attempt at keeping it pc & holding it together in general was comedic gold.

57 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

If what Pat says is the truth then Grigson is human scum. Treating someone like an object.  Not cool

Yeah it's so extremely rude it's almost hard to believe. But I've known a few people like this...

I had a boss once who tried to embody Dennis Hopper's character from Blue Velvet, Frank Booth. It was sorta comical unless you were at the end of one of his obnoxious alcohol & drug fueled rants...

1 hour ago, Buck Showalter said:

That Jim Mora clip will never get old. Mora's attempt at keeping it pc & holding it together in general was comedic gold.

The fascinating thing about that whole situation was the lesson it taught coaches in the NFL. 

You wanna bond with your players, but not want to turn into Rex Ryan once he stopped competing for SBs in NY.

My point here is this: Jim realized the danger in a comic moment that goes viral--If you are seen as a clown in the locker room, no player will view you as an authority figure/leader to be taken seriously anymore. You can be funny & famous just not infamous. 

Mr. Mora can do that "Playoffs" line as a private citizen & it's hysterical now, but back in his INDY coaching days, there's a fine line between disciple & signature humor stick.  

11 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I agree.  I have 0 doubt that Grigson was arrogant and annoying and hard to get along with.  But I think this is missing some context.  Regardless of how much of a jerk he may be, I have difficulty seeing a GM walk up to his All-Pro punter and the first thing out of his mouth is "you're the lowest part of the organization".  At the very least, I think they'd exchange pleasantries, however superficial they may be.

Also, didn't Pat say Grigson pretty much ignored him for several weeks?  I remember McAfee saying he didn't like how Grigson would walk past him in the halls and not even acknowledge him, say hi or make eye contact or anything.

lmao I was just about to post this exact same thing.  Speaking on behalf of every Canadian, we do not want him.

I'm wondering if it's more "as a punter, you're the lowest priority position in the organization" and it was probably said during contract negotiations. It probably shouldn't have been said regardless but I'm guessing that's somewhat along the lines of what the context was

10 hours ago, Nadine said:

I think someone referring to you as a 'thing' is pretty terrible. I'd have a hard time getting passed that. But, he already said his piece on Grigson, Continuing to attack him just reflects poorly on Pat.  

Now I feel like their first meeting was the meeting of two massive egos. Possibly neither of them has recovered from it.

Let it go, move on, stop hating and being petty

From the way I understood it, Pat was asked about Grigs during the interview and answered .  Assuming that he was being honest, I have no problem with it. It's not like he volunteered the information out of the blue 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

From the way I understood it, Pat was asked about Grigs during the interview and answered .  Assuming that he was being honest, I have no problem with it. It's not like he volunteered the information out of the blue 

From what I saw in the interview, he wasn't asked about Grigson at all.

I would agree though, if he was asked about why he dislikes him so much, it for sure would have been a fair answer.

Even then though, I would have been ok with him sharing what he Grigson said, still would not be OK with saying he deserves to be removed from the country.

It's not like anyone was disagreeing that Pat had a reason to dislike the guy so much.  

I know a lot of people love Pat and hate Grigson. I'm not trying to say they shouldn't feel that way.  My comments are just about this interview. 

The way I see it, he's trying to make Grigson feel how Pat felt when he was called a 'thing'

I get the motivation. But, to me, this makes Pat look the same as Grigson.  Both were personal shots.

In the end, I don't feel bad for either of them.  They both landed on their feet.

13 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I agree.  I have 0 doubt that Grigson was arrogant and annoying and hard to get along with.  But I think this is missing some context.  Regardless of how much of a jerk he may be, I have difficulty seeing a GM walk up to his All-Pro punter and the first thing out of his mouth is "you're the lowest part of the organization".  At the very least, I think they'd exchange pleasantries, however superficial they may be.

Also, didn't Pat say Grigson pretty much ignored him for several weeks?  I remember McAfee saying he didn't like how Grigson would walk past him in the halls and not even acknowledge him, say hi or make eye contact or anything.

lmao I was just about to post this exact same thing.  Speaking on behalf of every Canadian, we do not want him.

Just PLEASE round up Nickleback and take them back!!!! 

14 hours ago, GOZER said:

I find it amusing that people say they're tired of hearing him bash Grigson, but click on a thread titled, "Patty Mac takes more shots at grigson." :dunno:

I don't see anything wrong with him exposing someone for who they truly are, especially someone who IMO and many others hurt this team badly.

I think he's hilarious, been to his show before, and have tickets already for his next show. Different strokes for different folks I guess.....

At this point it seems like he's trying to find excuses to take shots at Grigson.  

At some point when two people who don't like each other no longer have to work together and no longer have to see one another and they have aired their issues with the other guy. . . At some point it's just a good idea to just let it go.

McAfee is past the point at which he should have just let this go and it's making him look bad.  At the very best he looks immature by continuing to bring it up.  

Yes, Pat has said the same stuff about Grigson over and over but one thing I think he added that I might've missed before was how it was Irsay's choice to keep him back in 12' and for him to be re-signed.

Makes me wonder how many other decisions Irsay had a hand in over the past seasons..

i feel like grigson is a dead horse topic on this forum, but outside of the website i almost never hear about him

if what pat says is true, and he feels like he is in front of the right crowd i can understand why he still bashes him

Grigson was obviously a *.  I know most bosses aren't perfect....but it would be really hard to work your butt off to be your absolute best for a guy like that to get all the credit in the end.  I believe that he was KILLING our team chemistry and was for sure not doing anything good for our locker room.

I like the personnel changes we have made, love our draft, but the biggest move we made in the offseason was getting Ryan Grigson away from our facilities.  Not only was he not doing anything to make us better, he was making players worse.

IMO... if Pat would not have had to play for Grigson for a few years, he would not have gotten burnt out on football and would still be our punter. 

Grigson got another job because he was good at working the cap and won a GM of the year.

I know his last two years were bad but over looking his first three years is being narrow minded. We are getting ready to go into this season with an O-line he did bring in.

Outside Pat, very few have been as vocal about it from the Colts' side.

I do think Pat never got to explain this part (his first conversation with Ryan Grigson) to anyone and had probably been dying to get it off his chest. He did tweet "Unwarranted Arrogance" and other one-line tweets but I do not think he went into the elaborate reason behind his personal affront till now.

Now that Pat truly got to the source of his affront publicly, something he could afford to do without being a Colts player, I am thinking him targeting Grigson, will die down, IMO. He is smart enough to realize that it will look petty the more he does it down the road. Maybe he got some closure from it, and if he did, it is now time to let it go. 

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I do think Pat never got to explain this part (his first conversation with Ryan Grigson) to anyone and had probably been dying to get it off his chest. He did tweet "Unwarranted Arrogance" and other one-line tweets but I do not think he went into the elaborate reason behind his personal affront till now.

Now that Pat truly got to the source of his affront publicly, something he could afford to do without being a Colts player, I am thinking him targeting Grigson, will die down, IMO. He is smart enough to realize that it will look petty the more he does it down the road. Maybe he got some closure from it, and if he did, it is now time to let it go. 

I agree. The FO of the Colts are not going to air their dirty laundry out in public. Irsay handled it by firing Grigson so he made his statement.

For Pat to keep harping on it would be beating a dead horse.

14 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

If this true, and I see no reason to think it's not, the fact he wanted to let Pat go should have been enough to tell Irsay day one he hired the wrong guy.

There was no reason to want Pat gone back then, but he wasn't the All Pro punter he eventually became. He always had a strong leg, but he wasn't great at ball placement (Polian brought this up in 2011, even though he shouldn't have been talking about the punter at all when his team was 2-14, which had virtually nothing to do with the punter), and it wasn't until 2014 that the Colts started coming up with different ways to take advantage of Pat's ability with the onside kicks and whatnot. He was voted All Pro in 2014, also.

It wouldn't be surprising to see a new GM and coaching staff want to bring in a new punter right away. It's not shocking to me that Grigson might have wanted to replace him. It is pretty surprising that he talked to him so disrespectfully, which doesn't seem to be warranted in any way. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Pat talked about this in February: https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/2/2/14491684/pat-mcafee-opens-up-on-relationship-with-ryan-grigson-he-and-i-did-not-like-each-other-at-all-colts

"Yeah I think you can just describe it as a hate,” McAfee said. “I mean, he did not like me at all, from day one. Our first conversation was a negotiation where he called me the lowest thing in the organization and all this stuff. He did not want to keep me around. If you remember, he got rid of all the ex-players except for Hall of Famers, really. And I think Mr. Irsay and I have had a really good relationship for a long time, I think Mr. Irsay might have told him that he had to keep me and I don’t think he enjoyed that much. So we just hadn’t really got along. And that’s going to happen and all that stuff, but in the facility that I work in I have a lot of friends at the Colts facility, you’re talking about athletic trainers that I’m really good friends with, people that I consider family, equipment managers, coaches, and I was happy that he got relieved of his duties because he just didn’t treat people the right way. I’m a big believer in you just got to treat people the right way. You can be a tough guy and not be an butt. I think there’s a big difference in there.

I think Ryan will be a good GM one day because he has a great work ethic, but I think the way he handled people and the communication thing was just horrendous, and I think this is a wake-up call for him. Hopefully he’ll go on to have success, but he and I did not like each other at all. So I was excited that he got let go mostly because I have a lot of family in that West 56th office and I want the Colts to be successful and I think that Chris Ballard will be the guy that comes in and kind of brings the Colts back to a building that has some harmony.”

“Well, I mean I don’t need to pile on about that type of stuff,” McAfee said, “and I never talked about my dislike of the guy or how he treated people in the locker room because you never want to be a cancer, right, you never want to spread negativity in the locker room because it’s a big team sport. We’re all in this together, you know? But after I came out and spoke, I got a lot of text messages and DMs and stuff from ex-teammates and you know just basically thanking me for putting it out there, because a lot of my really good friends were treated poorly. It’s the business of the NFL, but just the way he went about it was just new. I think it wasn’t the norm, and I got a lot of text messages from a lot of guys telling me thank you, basically, for speaking up and saying something because most people don’t do that. In the NFL, you can’t really speak out about much because there’s so many people that want your position and me doing that I think a lot of people were appreciative because I was speaking for a lot of people there.”

But going back to what McAfee had mentioned earlier, was it really Jim Irsay that told Ryan Grigson that he had to keep McAfee?

“Yeah, I’m pretty certain,” McAfee said. “And you’ve got to remember, it’s completely understood for a guy, new GM. At that point I was two years away from my public intoxication, I was a good punter but was I great? Not at that time I wasn’t, so I think he had a lot of negative connotations about me coming into Indianapolis because people who don’t know me probably if they read my Twitter they can get a bad kind of rap about me, but all I try to do at work is just work my butt off and be great, and I don’t think he really saw that side or wanted to see that side. I think he just had a bad impression about me at the beginning and I think that Mr. Irsay was the one that kept me in town.”

The part in red bugs me. He'll make a good GM, but now that he's with the Browns, they're stupid for hiring him???

As for the rest, Pat brought up the fact that Grigson didn't want him around, and was confident that Irsay stepped in. He also acknowledges that he understood why Grigson might not be sold on him at that time, which is good self-awareness on Pat's part. 

I agree with him that it's important not to treat people poorly, which Grigson apparently did. But he told this story over four months ago. And hopefully he will let it die down now, but he probably should have done that after he first told the story.

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

Pat talked about this in February: https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/2/2/14491684/pat-mcafee-opens-up-on-relationship-with-ryan-grigson-he-and-i-did-not-like-each-other-at-all-colts

The part in red bugs me. He'll make a good GM, but now that he's with the Browns, they're stupid for hiring him???

As for the rest, Pat brought up the fact that Grigson didn't want him around, and was confident that Irsay stepped in. He also acknowledges that he understood why Grigson might not be sold on him at that time, which is good self-awareness on Pat's part. 

I agree with him that it's important not to treat people poorly, which Grigson apparently did. But he told this story over four months ago. And hopefully he will let it die down now, but he probably should have done that after he first told the story.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, knowing that, I am a bit surprised why he had to bring that up all over again. If it was a loaded question regarding Grigson, then yeah, bring it up. Now that I know that he had a chance for the elaborate grievance airing prior to this PFT interview, I do think he should have just let it go. It almost seems like he is yearning attention in a sensationalist manner, and this was his way to do so. 

He does have to be careful, should he ever need a job with NFL Network etc. It is not like he is a famous comedian who happened to be a punter, it was mainly the other way.

On 6/19/2017 at 3:29 PM, weslo1812 said:

Ooohhh boy, Pat isn't holding back. Good for him... I quite honestly don't blame. 

Yeah, Grigs is a total jerk. I started hating him to during his very first press conference and that feeling has never left me. I could tell that's a guy I would not want to work for. I totally agree with McAfee. We first want to send Bieber back and now we want to send Grigs there... What did Canada do?.

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

Grigson was obviously a *.  I know most bosses aren't perfect....but it would be really hard to work your butt off to be your absolute best for a guy like that to get all the credit in the end.  I believe that he was KILLING our team chemistry and was for sure not doing anything good for our locker room.

I like the personnel changes we have made, love our draft, but the biggest move we made in the offseason was getting Ryan Grigson away from our facilities.  Not only was he not doing anything to make us better, he was making players worse.

IMO... if Pat would not have had to play for Grigson for a few years, he would not have gotten burnt out on football and would still be our punter. 

I know and Pagano if he could speak freely he wouldn't have anything nice to say about Grigson. But he can't not now. But I do believe that Pagano was given another chance this year because he won't have that cancer to deal with and can freely coach his team now. 

All I know is that somewhere in Cleveland, Ryan Grigson's counting the millions of dollars that he received upon leaving Indianapolis, while Pat McAfee is making radio appearances to tell halfway funny jokes at his expense. Call me shallow, but I'd take Grigson's side of that equation all day.

As others have said, McAfee wasn't an all pro punter back when Grigson made those comments.  Saying what Grigs said was not a nice way to say it, but he wasn't saying it to an all pro.

Pat became an excellent punter the year after the comments were made.  Just being factual.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

As others have said, McAfee wasn't an all pro punter back when Grigson made those comments.  Saying what Grigs said was not a nice way to say it, but he wasn't saying it to an all pro.

Pat became an excellent punter the year after the comments were made.  Just being factual.

If the conversation that Pat has expressed is true it doesn't really matter if it's a hall of famer or the janitor treating others and talking to people in that manner, even in a cut-throat and competitive industry is unnecessary and shows a lack of awareness and in my opinion mental weakness. I guess I just fail to see where the time line of Pat's progression plays much of a role in the transaction...

Slightly off topic: You do wonder when August rolls around if Pat will regret leaving INDY for the comedy club stage similar to how retired players struggled their first season away from the game. 

That itch to pin the ball deep is still there. I know McAfee thought this through. His civilian transition into a new arena, but it's still a battle between...Am I happy now vs I can still make my presence known in a Colts uniform. 

The other thing you think about once you start doing the comedy circuit is this: Am I genuinely funny anywhere or was I just the funniest dude in our NFL locker room? They  are not the same thing & the only way to know for sure is go somewhere where the audience has no idea who you are & see if you tank or not. I know he did radio station skits, but that's not the same as a remote corner of the world symbolically naked in a venue. 

16 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Just PLEASE round up Nickleback and take them back!!!! 

haha I missed this joke the 1st go round. Well played Lolly! 

I must say that Canadians take little comedic jabs at their country more or less in stride. Cool.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:45 AM, Buck Showalter said:

I was in pretty strong support of Pat when Grigson was let go and that first round of tweets came out. However, its gonna be hard to continue to back up Pat's brand of scrutiny here, even though Grigson continues to sound like a major jerk. Which, is also a disappointing fact, while as Colts fans we were all put in the position of supporting him and attempting to give him the benefit of the doubt for multiple seasons as well...

What is there to not support?  He was asked a question. I guess the second part about having him go to the CFL would be better, might be considered out of taste. He was trying to be funny and I get it. But he isn't lying either. When a person tells you that you are the most worthless person in the organization, I would think you would hold a bit of a grudge too.

10 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

If the conversation that Pat has expressed is true it doesn't really matter if it's a hall of famer or the janitor treating others and talking to people in that manner, even in a cut-throat and competitive industry is unnecessary and shows a lack of awareness and in my opinion mental weakness. I guess I just fail to see where the time line of Pat's progression plays much of a role in the transaction...

Well, if he was an all-pro at the time, then saying he was the lowest cog on the team wouldn't be accurate.  Pat was an average to above average punter at the time.  Grigson was jerk for saying those words, but not really for thinking them.

I understand how personalities fit into management of OTHERS.  Myself, I work for a paycheck, not praise.  So if said to me, I would take those comments as a sign I wasn't going to get paid or would be worried about my future employment, but personally they would mean very little.  As you said, its cut-throat, a business; so to me the money is what matters, or the potential lack thereof, not the words.

But Pat's a comedian, a character, and artsy fartsy guy.  Emotions and feelings probably are an issue more than if he was a cold-hearted analytical type.  He probably holds a grudge for a long time too.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Well, if he was an all-pro at the time, then saying he was the lowest cog on the team wouldn't be accurate.  Pat was an average to above average punter at the time.  Grigson was jerk for saying those words, but not really for thinking them.

I understand how personalities fit into management of OTHERS.  Myself, I work for a paycheck, not praise.  So if said to me, I would take those comments as a sign I wasn't going to get paid or would be worried about my future employment, but personally they would mean very little.  As you said, its cut-throat, a business; so to me the money is what matters, or the potential lack thereof, not the words.

But Pat's a comedian, a character, and artsy fartsy guy.  Emotions and feelings probably are an issue more than if he was a cold-hearted analytical type.  He probably holds a grudge for a long time too.

I have a hard time comprehending this concept. One may argue that this type of outlook may be human nature, but I refuse to accept that, as it does nothing to improve the overall nature or culture of an organization, or on a grander stage, human-kind in general. Furthermore, in the case of the Colts, evidence points to the culture declining under Grigsons watch so there is something to be said about an overall positive culture. See Polian & Dungy's tenure for comparison. Polian may have had a reputation for arrogance, however,  every game I went to at the Dome, while players were warming up, Polian made it a point to personally shake every players hand and wish them luck. You could see him make his rounds, and at least from body language, it came across as sincere, as players would be smiling and engaging him in brief conversations.

The team during those years seemed like a tight knit and disciplined unit & i believe Polian helped foster that by showing a level of respect. Furthermore, if this negative thinking mentality is the type of character Grigson is/was I am glad the Colts have moved on. If you are a leader of men assembling a team you should set an example, and be looking for the positive qualities of players, not having the negative outlook of "who's the lowest rung". In that process, I feel there can exist a difference between continually improving and infusing the team with better talent, which obviously, means letting players go, yet doing so in a respectful manner, versus the opposite of holding and working within a negative outlook... 

Evidence also supports that Grigson's method and working attitude was counter productive as well , as he brought in several players of mediocre talent and even worse some that showed questionable character...

One posibilty of the cold stern and impersonal approach I have not heard offered, is if Grigson took or held an almost militant approach. One of tearing players down, before 'building' them back up, in an almost  like a drill sergeant. However, if this was Grigsons approach, it seems he forgot to build them back up...

Anyways, I appreciate your own personal analogy of "praise versus the paycheck" and can see how that applies and actually goes far in supporting people's emotional health well in the business world and world at large, however, pro-football at the NFL level seems to be something entirely different no? Don't we as fans turn in each week for the drama on the field, where emotions and mental prowess play a component alongside the more obvious physical demands and athletic skill???

Anyways, I'll just say, I'm glad Irsay moved on from Grigson and I hope Ballard helps foster a more positive culture that extends to the locker room and then out onto the field. I also hope Pat has gotten whatever he feels like he has to say off his chest and does well with the comedy thing...

Apologies for getting long-winded...

8 hours ago, Narcosys said:

What is there to not support?  He was asked a question. I guess the second part about having him go to the CFL would be better, might be considered out of taste. He was trying to be funny and I get it. But he isn't lying either. When a person tells you that you are the most worthless person in the organization, I would think you would hold a bit of a grudge too.

I get this, and don't really begrudge Pat's right to speak his mind, but since some time has passed now from the first round of tweets Pat has had time to move on as have the Colts. As fans we hope Ballard assembles a better team talent wise, and a more positive culture for the franchise in general. As for Pat, in speaking out against someone who seems to have treated people with significant levels of arrogance and disrespect, he had the opportunity to take the high road. As some others have expressed in the thread, I just guess I can understand how some could find Pat's recent remarks as still somewhat petty, that is all...

As I've said, i'm glad Ballard is the GM and hope he improves the roster & brings the overall team culture back to where it seemed to be a decade ago. That is all!

1 hour ago, Buck Showalter said:

I have a hard time comprehending this concept. One may argue that this type of outlook may be human nature, but I refuse to accept that, as it does nothing to improve the overall nature or culture of an organization, or on a grander stage, human-kind in general. Furthermore, in the case of the Colts, evidence points to the culture declining under Grigsons watch so there is something to be said about an overall positive culture. See Polian & Dungy's tenure for comparison. Polian may have had a reputation for arrogance, however,  every game I went to at the Dome, while players were warming up, Polian made it a point to personally shake every players hand and wish them luck. You could see him make his rounds, and at least from body language, it came across as sincere, as players would be smiling and engaging him in brief conversations.

The team during those years seemed like a tight knit and disciplined unit & i believe Polian helped foster that by showing a level of respect. Furthermore, if this negative thinking mentality is the type of character Grigson is/was I am glad the Colts have moved on. If you are a leader of men assembling a team you should set an example, and be looking for the positive qualities of players, not having the negative outlook of "who's the lowest rung". In that process, I feel there can exist a difference between continually improving and infusing the team with better talent, which obviously, means letting players go, yet doing so in a respectful manner, versus the opposite of holding and working within a negative outlook... 

Evidence also supports that Grigson's method and working attitude was counter productive as well , as he brought in several players of mediocre talent and even worse some that showed questionable character...

One posibilty of the cold stern and impersonal approach I have not heard offered, is if Grigson took or held an almost militant approach. One of tearing players down, before 'building' them back up, in an almost  like a drill sergeant. However, if this was Grigsons approach, it seems he forgot to build them back up...

Anyways, I appreciate your own personal analogy of "praise versus the paycheck" and can see how that applies and actually goes far in supporting people's emotional health well in the business world and world at large, however, pro-football at the NFL level seems to be something entirely different no? Don't we as fans turn in each week for the drama on the field, where emotions and mental prowess play a component alongside the more obvious physical demands and athletic skill???

Anyways, I'll just say, I'm glad Irsay moved on from Grigson and I hope Ballard helps foster a more positive culture that extends to the locker room and then out onto the field. I also hope Pat has gotten whatever he feels like he has to say off his chest and does well with the comedy thing...

Apologies for getting long-winded...

I think people who work for "praise" maybe lack satisfaction in other parts of there life, maybe family or socially, so their career may be a bigger part of their identity and happiness then people like me...who go to work for a paycheck and not to form personal relationships.  Nothing wrong with either, but it seems Grigson was the cold hearted business analyst who treated players like pieces of meat and who didn't relate well to the more gregarious and warm hearted types of employees.  A successful manager needs to be able to relate to both types.  Both praise and criticism may be taken differently depending upon the person being spoken to.

I'm sure I wouldn't like what he said if he said it to me.  But I also think I would have gotten over it 5 years later.

As a general rule, beware of managers who want to praise you, shake your hand, constantly tell you how important you are.  They may be simply trying to provide you with the emotional satisfaction of "meaning and significance" to the organization....

...instead of giving you a raise.  Its a popular tactic to keep people happy without actually paying them.  

Me...I'll take the money and skip the sweet talk, thanks. 

On 6/20/2017 at 0:35 PM, chad72 said:

Thanks for the info. Yeah, knowing that, I am a bit surprised why he had to bring that up all over again. If it was a loaded question regarding Grigson, then yeah, bring it up. Now that I know that he had a chance for the elaborate grievance airing prior to this PFT interview, I do think he should have just let it go. It almost seems like he is yearning attention in a sensationalist manner, and this was his way to do so. 

He does have to be careful, should he ever need a job with NFL Network etc. It is not like he is a famous comedian who happened to be a punter, it was mainly the other way.

Yeah. I didn't mind him initially telling his story. It was a 'let me get this off my chest so people know why I didn't like him, and so people know how he treats others' kind of thing. And it was good inside info that I think we all like to be aware of. 

This unprompted retelling though, it comes across as petty, bitter, small, even hostile. And at this point, IMO, it says more about McAfee than about Grigson. It's not a major issue, it's just like 'Pat, man, we're already on your side, now let it go.' 

I don't think this will prevent him from getting any media jobs, and he already wasn't going to be working for Grigson any time soon...