Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather

3 hours ago, GOZER said:

Wow, bitter much?  Lasted 10 rounds with a 40 year old champ that came out of retirement, who hadn't "Legitimately"(not counting Ortiz fight) TKO'd anyone in ten years? Yeahhhh no. Two things are apparent here:

1.You don't watch boxing or have never boxed.

2.You didn't watch the fight.

Mayweather TOYED with him for 10 rounds, never even showed a sign of being hurt or gassed! Mcgregor was gassed after the third round, breathing through his mouth and not throwing anything significant. Mcgregor even said this post fight. His plan failed, he wasn't fighting Jose Aldo.

Like I said in original post, put Mcgregor against a young boxer in his prime, and he loses in devastating fashion. Common sense. Mayweather even said it was all part of the plan, he even mentioned this after the fight....basic boxing, let them come in and wear themselves out, then pick them apart. Same strategy that  has been used for years. I believe the only reason it went into the 10th was to give the people their monies worth. Of course this was a big spectacle, only an * would turn down the opportunity to make this much money win/lose!!!!!

It was entertaining, well worth my $20, but anyone who isn't a UFC/Mcgregor homer knew what the outcome would be.  Then you get this "oh he wouldn't last a second in MMA blah blah sour grapes" excuse......Really? A guy who's not trained in martial arts, wrestling, or jujitsu wouldn't stand a chance in the octagon? Gee who'd a thunk it? Maybe I missed it, but did Mayweather go into the UFC proclaiming he would destroy one of thier best fighters? Nope...This was all Mcgregor and that * Dana White at first then Mayweather jumped on the money train. I'm a huge fan of MMA and it has definitely killed boxing in popularity since it's mainstream success, but I'm starting to lose a lot of respect for it due to this recent clown show put on by Dana White.

Did I mention I really don't like Mayweather either? lol.

I am not bitter at all jeez.  All I said was Mcgregor can hold his head up after going ten rounds. With him never boxing before IMO that is not bad. I never one second thought he had a chance to win this fight. Why I am being talked to like I had a problem and was a Mcgregor fan is beyond me. I watch boxing but I do not watch MMA because of all the hype and nonsense that goes with it. The way Mayweather hand picked his fights no wonder he has the record he does. He is a boring fighter that never drew my interest. I give him more credit for being smart over being a great fighter.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I am not bitter at all jeez.  All I said was Mcgregor can hold his head up after going ten rounds. With him never boxing before IMO that is not bad. I never one second thought he had a chance to win this fight. Why I am being talked to like I had a problem and was a Mcgregor fan is beyond me. I watch boxing but I do not watch MMA because of all the hype and nonsense that goes with it. The way Mayweather hand picked his fights no wonder he has the record he does. He is a boring fighter that never drew my interest. I give him more credit for being smart over being a great fighter.

Ok my bad, your response to my post seemed to be a little bitter over Mayweather winning, especially with the whole he wouldn't last in the MMA statement. I will give him credit for hanging in there for 10 rounds, although I still believe a Canelo or someone in their prime would have KO'd him by the 4th. I honestly wanted them both to lose, would have LOVED a double knockout!!! It is what it is.

I will disagree with your great fighter comment, you don't go 49-0 without being a great fighter.....he's both great and smart. Shifty, quick, technical, and has been hit/rocked by some of the greatest fighters in boxing. Boring...yes at times, and annoying. Can't believe I'm sticking up for him, barf.

Interesting tidbit on Mcgregor...he was a champion boxer in Ireland(I know, small country, but they're scrappers!) before joining the UFC. It'll be interesting to see who he fights next in UFC, already talks of a Diaz trilogy, although I'm not sure he wants to fight someone tough like that after a loss. He'll definitely  have better hands going forward.

I'm not a mayweather fan but I was rooting for him. I was watching it with 50 other people and only like 5 of us were going for mayweather lol. The reason I was going for Floyd is because I felt mcgregor was only in this for the money. He didn't respect the game of boxing and knew from the beginning he was going to lose. He is a great trash talker and promoter but had no business being in the ring with Floyd. Had it been a winner-take-all, mcgregor would have never agreed to the fight.

Mayweather won this fight. Boxing lost tremendously yet again.

McGregor lasted 29 minutes longer in the bout than Mayweather would have lasted vs a top 15 talent in the MMA lightweight area, even winning rounds that Mayweather would have 0 chance to do in MMA. 

1 hour ago, GOZER said:

Ok my bad, your response to my post seemed to be a little bitter over Mayweather winning, especially with the whole he wouldn't last in the MMA statement. I will give him credit for hanging in there for 10 rounds, although I still believe a Canelo or someone in their prime would have KO'd him by the 4th. I honestly wanted them both to lose, would have LOVED a double knockout!!! It is what it is.

I will disagree with your great fighter comment, you don't go 49-0 without being a great fighter.....he's both great and smart. Shifty, quick, technical, and has been hit/rocked by some of the greatest fighters in boxing. Boring...yes at times, and annoying. Can't believe I'm sticking up for him, barf.

Interesting tidbit on Mcgregor...he was a champion boxer in Ireland(I know, small country, but they're scrappers!) before joining the UFC. It'll be interesting to see who he fights next in UFC, already talks of a Diaz trilogy, although I'm not sure he wants to fight someone tough like that after a loss. He'll definitely  have better hands going forward.

The true winner was Mcgregor. He walked away with 150 million dollars when five years ago he had nothing.

Mayweather already had millions of dollars. He has spent what Mcgregor made on cars and jewelry in his lifetime.

52 minutes ago, TheMarine said:

Mayweather won this fight. Boxing lost tremendously yet again.

McGregor lasted 29 minutes longer in the bout than Mayweather would have lasted vs a top 15 talent in the MMA lightweight area, even winning rounds that Mayweather would have 0 chance to do in MMA. 

Against a 40 year old retired boxer who hasn't TKO'd anyone for 10 years(again not counting Ortiz fight, that was a sham). Mayweather hardly threw any punches the first 3 rounds. He had the perfect game plan for Mcgregor and executed it flawlessly! Lets see if Mcgregor wants to call out any boxers in their prime after this.....I think not.

And of course Mayweather likely wouldn't make it past the first round in MMA, he's not a mixed martial arts fighter(although some fighters with boxing background have had success in UFC). Silly comparison, everyone knows what the outcome would most likely be. UFC has definitely surpassed boxing in popularity, and there's 3 crowds, boxing traditionalists, MMA fans, then there's fans of both like me. 

33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I want to see Floyd Box someone that is for real like Triple G. I would pay for that one. Triple G knocks everyone out, he will beat Canelo too.

Hmmm IDK man, I like Triple G a lot, hell of a fighter, but I dont think he'll beat Canelo....guess we'll see next month:rock:

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

One thing McGregor did was bring boxing into the limelight for awhile. That was fun while it lasted lol Boxing can go back into the vault now.

Nah bro, boxing has a very healthy following still. Who knows what the future holds though. If anything, IMO, this fight probably brought more viewers to boxing due to the result.  According to this article Boxing/MMA are neck to neck right now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/boxing/before-mayweather-mcgregor-poll-shows-mma-isnt-stealing-boxings-popularity/2017/08/25/f9b3f47a-892f-11e7-a50f-e0d4e6ec070a_story.html

4 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

One thing McGregor did was bring boxing into the limelight for awhile. That was fun while it lasted lol Boxing can go back into the vault now.

Vault?  MMA may be big here in the US but boxing has a huge following worldwide and always has. It is an Olympic event. Just because you may like or watch MMA over boxing does not mean boxing is in a 'vault'.

Every major city in the world has boxing matches going on every weekend. Just about every major police forces have boxing clinics going on for the young people on the streets to have a place to go and learn self control and keep them off the street. That is where Mike Tyson started. Every military base in the country has boxing matches just about every weekend also. I would be willing to believe there is way more boxers than there are MMA fighters.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Vault?  MMA may be big here in the US but boxing has a huge following worldwide and always has. It is an Olympic event. Just because you may like or watch MMA over boxing does not mean boxing is in a 'vault'.

Every major city in the world has boxing matches going on every weekend. Just about every major police forces have boxing clinics going on for the young people on the streets to have a place to go and learn self control and keep them off the street. That is where Mike Tyson started. Every military base in the country has boxing matches just about every weekend also. I would be willing to believe there is way more boxers than there are MMA fighters.

I used to take a group of middle school boys to boxing club every Friday. I know people box. But this match got so much attention from boxing on every source of media that other boxing matches simply don't right now. I feel like UFC/MMA gets more publicity, and I'm no fan of either really .It's only Football and Basketball for me.That's all I'm trying to say. 

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I used to take a group of middle school boys to boxing club every Friday. I know people box. But this match got so much attention from boxing on every source of media that other boxing matches simply don't right now. I feel like UFC/MMA gets more publicity, and I'm no fan of either really .It's only Football and Basketball for me.That's all I'm trying to say. 

Fair enough. But your 'vault' comment seemed to suggest something different. There are a few countries where soccer and boxing are there #1 sports. Boxing is huge in Mexico and in Latin America countries.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Fair enough. But your 'vault' comment seemed to suggest something different. There are a few countries where soccer and boxing are there #1 sports. Boxing is huge in Mexico and in Latin America countries.

I'm very sarcastic and like to use extravagant words that are over the top sometimes.

On 8/27/2017 at 11:37 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I want to see Floyd Box someone that is for real like Triple G. I would pay for that one. Triple G knocks everyone out, he will beat Canelo too.

Let me be clear I am not a fan of Floyd in fact I watched his fights so I wouldn't miss it when someone anyone finally kicked his butt. The guy deserves some credit he's 26-0 vs champions and former champions. Who has he not fought?

As for a fight with Triple G Floyd can't take that fight. Triple G is a legit middleweight he started his career at 160lbs. Floyd won his first belt at Super Featherweight that's a130lbs. That's a 30lb difference to a guy with freakish power for a middleweight. Anyone who follows boxing knows how big a difference just 10lbs can be. Sure they could meet at a catch weight and Triple G could lose 6lbs of muscle to make weight only to rehardrate to 165lbs. That's not a fair fight. There are a lot of really good reasons not to like Mayweather but not fighting Triple G isn't one of them. That's a mismatch in the same vein as clowning Triple G for not fighting as a heavy weight or even Ward at the 178ib limit. Size matters in boxing. 

9 hours ago, akcolt said:

Let me be clear I am not a fan of Floyd in fact I watched his fights so I wouldn't miss it when someone anyone finally kicked his butt. The guy deserves some credit he's 26-0 vs champions and former champions. Who has he not fought?

As for a fight with Triple G Floyd can't take that fight. Triple G is a legit middleweight he started his career at 160lbs. Floyd won his first belt at Super Featherweight that's a130lbs. That's a 30lb difference to a guy with freakish power for a middleweight. Anyone who follows boxing knows how big a difference just 10lbs can be. Sure they could meet at a catch weight and Triple G could lose 6lbs of muscle to make weight only to rehardrate to 165lbs. That's not a fair fight. There are a lot of really good reasons not to like Mayweather but not fighting Triple G isn't one of them. That's a mismatch in the same vein as clowning Triple G for not fighting as a heavy weight or even Ward at the 178ib limit. Size matters in boxing. 

I am also not a Mayweather fan..... you make some great points, although what you described in what would happen if he fought Triple G is exactly what happened in the Mayweather/Canelo fight and he easily decisioned Canelo in that fight? Canelo even had Youth on his side, he just simply couldn't catch him. I know Triple G has definitely got some freakish power, but Mayweather is just so elusive, IDK, it'd be interesting.