Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OL run blocking stat

Superman

On 6/15/2017 at 11:02 AM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Yeah, not really. The offensive line has to create a hole in order for a runningback to find it, that's why a 33 year old back was able to rush for 1,000 yards in the first place.

Well actually, there is a lot of space on a football field so what our line does mostly is maintain contact
 long enough for our Franky to hit the best gap available. Now this is true of most mediocre lines. 

Of course Frank doesn`t have the speed to often get 25-30+ yd runs.
  Good is the only guy we had that is solid at driving his man back on run plays.But he is worthless trying to get to the 2nd level or to pull outside. Much the same as Mewhort. Just too slow.
  I do hope Haeg has put on some weight and gotten considerably stronger. He can run well enough to add that diversity to our run game to his side that Luck has never had. Gore will have more 5+ yard runs this go around.
 La'Raven is going to be very good with some experience.He pancaked a few guys. lol  Pray for good health.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Well actually, there is a lot of space on a football field so what our line does mostly is maintain contact
 long enough for our Franky to hit the best gap available. Now this is true of most mediocre lines. 

Of course Frank doesn`t have the speed to often get 25-30+ yd runs without second level blocking.
  Good is the only guy we had that is solid at driving his man back on run plays.But he is worthless trying to get to the 2nd level or to pull outside. Much the same as Mewhort. Just too slow.
  I do hope Haeg has put on some weight and gotten considerably stronger. He can run well enough to add that diversity to our run game to his side that Luck has never had. Gore will have more 5+ yard runs this go around.
 La'Raven is going to be very good with some experience.He pancaked a few guys. lol  Pray for good health.

I agree with everything you say, but edited to reiterate the point I continue to make, which is that slower backs like Gore, Blount, etc. don't pop long runs without good second level blocking.  I agree that the line has not been giving Gore or Turbin that blocking.  Gore was one of th best at the 9ers in popping long runs, but that's because they had great second level blocking from the line, TEs and WRs.

6 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

The generic playcalling didn't make the OL's job any easier. I saw there were some Turbin threads out there that I haven't gotten into yet. They should have gave him more rushes, including some out a 2 back set not called the I-Formation. 

Agreed on Turbin. I'm actually surprised to look back and find out he only had 47 carries last season.

On 6/16/2017 at 9:25 AM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I wonder if they included QB runs in those stats.

Because those are three of the fastest QBs in the game.  Luck, Taylor, and Mariota.

When those guys decide to take off, it's probably a good 10 yds before anyone touches them.

I'm pretty sure QB runs are included; there's no indication I see that they washed QB runs from that stat. Among QBs, Taylor was 1st with 580 rushing yards; Mariota 6th, 357 yards; Luck 7th, 351 yards.

But the Colts still had better results than other teams with really good running/scrambling QBs: Carolina, Seattle, Green Bay, Dallas, etc. 

If I did my math right, if we assume all of Luck's rushing yards were before contact (and they weren't), and adjust the Colts' percentage accordingly, then approximately 39% of the RBs rushing yards came before contact (the right answer is probably somewhere in the mid to low 40s, which we could figure if we knew how much of Luck's yardage came before contact). Even if it's 40%, and you add a speed back, there's a potential for danger there.