Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Moving To A 3-4 Defense Could Be Beneficial (Unedited)

Andy

Article I'm writing for the Montreal Gazette

Switching to a 3-4 defense has scheme a lot of teams have changed to recently, and the Colts could be one of those teams making the switch.

The Colts recently hired Chuck Pagano as their head coach, and Greg Manusky as their defensive coordinator. Both coaches are coaches with 3-4 experience. They have been with teams that use the 3-4 defense, and both of these guys endorse it. Switching to a 3-4 defense is a very possible, even probable scenario. Now, would it be beneficial?

There are a lot of pros and cons that come with the defense. It's very good against the run, gets good pressure on the quarterback, and it's good vs fast running backs. It's not as good as a 4-3 defense when it come to pass defense, and the most important con is that if you don't have the right personnel, it's useless. You have to have the right personnel for the scheme to work. If you don't have a proper nose tackle, good 3-4 defensive tackle, and/or outside linebackers that can get to the QB and drop back in pass, then it won't work.

Let's look at the Colts. If they switch, Freeney and Mathis would become outside linebackers. This would be a tough switch, but with a good offseason working at it, they should be able to make a smooth transition.

The Colts have 2 good inside linebackers in Pat Angerer and Kavell Conner. Conner has good size for an inside linebacker, but Angerer is just slightly undersized. If he gets bigger for next year, he'd be a perfect inside linebacker.

The only thing that would change in the secondary would be the plays and the coverages (man or zone).

Now, the defensive line. I have a feeling that Drake Nevis and Fili Moala would become good 3-4 defensive tackles. We saw Cullen Jenkins make a nice transition from 3-4 to a 4-3 defense. With some good training from Manusky and what is probably going to be a defensive line coach that coaches in a 3-4 defensive scheme, Nevis and Moala could become solid starters, with Foster, Matthews and others becoming good backups. The right coaches and some good training could make it work.

If this works, the Colts should be able to stop most running backs as that is the main "pro" the 3-4 does: stop the run. The Colts have never been good against the run, being ranked 17th or worse against the run the last 12 years. Stopping the run would make most teams go to pass heavy gameplans. The Colts have a secondary that is getting better and better. It ended the year on a high, and it has some players that could become very good in the future. Jerraud Powers leads the group of young up-and-comers, with Chris Rucker, and Jacob Lacey trailing behind. One high draft pick for the cornerback position would give the Colts a solid cornerback group. Antoine Bethea is always good too. The pass defense has been good in the past, so there's no reason to think that it can't be good again.

The Texans had a terrible pass defense, but once they signed Jonathan Joseph, a middle tier free agent, their pass defense became great. This was also due to the Texans changing to a 3-4 defense and their pass rush becoming better. Maybe switching to a 3-4, getting a new cornerback and letting Powers develop would make the pass defense great.

After evaluating all the pros and cons, I realized that there are more pros than cons. For this to fully work, the Colts must draft a nose tackle in the upcoming draft, or they must sign one in the free agency. Antonio Johnson is not a capable starter in a 4-3 defense, so what makes you think he'll be a shutdown nose tackle in a 3-4. He's barely a backup. For it to fully work, they must get a shutdown 3-4 nose tackle. It's going to need some training and preparing, but if the Colts are willing to go 100% into becoming a 3-4 defense, it could be very benefitial going forward.

Article I'm writing for the Montreal Gazette

Switching to a 3-4 defense has scheme a lot of teams have changed to recently, and the Colts could be one of those teams making the switch.

The Colts recently hired Chuck Pagano as their head coach, and Greg Manusky as their defensive coordinator. Both coaches are coaches with 3-4 experience. They have been with teams that use the 3-4 defense, and both of these guys endorse it. Switching to a 3-4 defense is a very possible, even probable scenario. Now, would it be beneficial?

There are a lot of pros and cons that come with the defense. It's very good against the run, gets good pressure on the quarterback, and it's good vs fast running backs. It's not as good as a 4-3 defense when it come to pass defense, and the most important con is that if you don't have the right personnel, it's useless. You have to have the right personnel for the scheme to work. If you don't have a proper nose tackle, good 3-4 defensive tackle, and/or outside linebackers that can get to the QB and drop back in pass, then it won't work.

Let's look at the Colts. If they switch, Freeney and Mathis would become outside linebackers. This would be a tough switch, but with a good offseason working at it, they should be able to make a smooth transition.

The Colts have 2 good inside linebackers in Pat Angerer and Kavell Conner. Conner has good size for an inside linebacker, but Angerer is just slightly undersized. If he gets bigger for next year, he'd be a perfect inside linebacker.

The only thing that would change in the secondary would be the plays and the coverages (man or zone).

Now, the defensive line. I have a feeling that Drake Nevis and Fili Moala would become good 3-4 defensive tackles. We saw Cullen Jenkins make a nice transition from 3-4 to a 4-3 defense. With some good training from Manusky and what is probably going to be a defensive line coach that coaches in a 3-4 defensive scheme, Nevis and Moala could become solid starters, with Foster, Matthews and others becoming good backups. The right coaches and some good training could make it work.

If this works, the Colts should be able to stop most running backs as that is the main "pro" the 3-4 does: stop the run. The Colts have never been good against the run, being ranked 17th or worse against the run the last 12 years. Stopping the run would make most teams go to pass heavy gameplans. The Colts have a secondary that is getting better and better. It ended the year on a high, and it has some players that could become very good in the future. Jerraud Powers leads the group of young up-and-comers, with Chris Rucker, and Jacob Lacey trailing behind. One high draft pick for the cornerback position would give the Colts a solid cornerback group. Antoine Bethea is always good too. The pass defense has been good in the past, so there's no reason to think that it can't be good again.

The Texans had a terrible pass defense, but once they signed Jonathan Joseph, a middle tier free agent, their pass defense became great. This was also due to the Texans changing to a 3-4 defense and their pass rush becoming better. Maybe switching to a 3-4, getting a new cornerback and letting Powers develop would make the pass defense great.

After evaluating all the pros and cons, I realized that there are more pros than cons. For this to fully work, the Colts must draft a nose tackle in the upcoming draft, or they must sign one in the free agency. Antonio Johnson is not a capable starter in a 4-3 defense, so what makes you think he'll be a shutdown nose tackle in a 3-4. He's barely a backup. For it to fully work, they must get a shutdown 3-4 nose tackle. It's going to need some training and preparing, but if the Colts are willing to go 100% into becoming a 3-4 defense, it could be very benefitial going forward.

Did you mean 3-4 DE's?

Did you mean 3-4 DE's?

Well, I thought they were called DTs, then after doing some research I realized that they're really called DEs. I thought Justin Smith, JJ Watt, and Haloti Ngata were technically DTs and the inside guy was a NT. My bad.

Well, I thought they were called DTs, then after doing some research I realized that they're really called DEs. I thought Justin Smith, JJ Watt, and Haloti Ngata were technically DTs and the inside guy was a NT. My bad.

No sweat man! I know your topic had "un-edited" in it....

Its a good article, and as far as the CB that could be aquired in FA... Tracy Porter was pretty good with the saints, and their facing cap issues with having to re sign brees, and try to bring back Nicks... so i doubt theyll resign him and he could be a perfect mentor to the Colts DB's as he was coached by a very good DC. and theres a good NT out there in garay i believe his name is

You are correct they are DT's. In their scheme they line up as DT's.

I have serious concerns about a 3-4 switch. It's not going to be a quick, easy transition. The Colts need about 7 players for a 3-4 (2DE, NT, ILB, OLB, CB, S) and just 4 in a 4-3 (NT, OLB, CB, SS)

Well, although it may be tough, they can teach pass rushers Freeney + Mathis to play OLBs, who 75% of the time pass rush. They did it for Mario Williams, so there's quite a bit of hope that it will happen. Linebackers changing is not a big switch. Ryans and Cushing were still great this year and they found the transition "smooth". CB and S shouldnt change too much besides the fact that the plays will be changing. The Colts would need to draft a NT, and they could make Nevis and Moala 3-4 DEs. That would be tough, but they have a great staff and these kids are still young. I think it would be easier than you think. It's more beneficial going forward. Look at all the best defenses in the league, Steelers, Ravens, 49ers, Texans... they all use a 3-4. With the right personnel, it works.

Came across this article the on PFW

Obviously Cap is in an issue, but the future will soon let us know what we can and can't do in the rebuild

Colts could peg Ravens' free agents to rebuild 'D'

New Colts head coach Chuck Pagano raided the Ravens' coaching staff this week, hiring Marwan Maalouf as his special-teams coordinator, Roy Anderson as safeties coach and Alfredo Roberts to coach the tight ends.

The way we hear it, don't be surprised when Pagano targets at least one Ravens free agent to bolster his "D."

How the LB corps shapes up this season will be fascinating. Can Robert Mathis, an unrestricted free agent whom the Colts would like to re-sign, play OLB? What about Dwight Freeney? Where do Pat Angerer and Kavell Conner fit in? Does MLB Gary Brackett still have a future in Indianapolis?

While it remains to be seen where all of these players fit in, one Ravens unrestricted free agent who certainly fit well in Pagano's "D" last season was OLB Jarret Johnson. A nine-year veteran, Johnson would be a nice addition to Pagano's unit, we hear.

Ravens CB Lardarius Webb, a restricted free agent, could also receive interest from the Colts.

Grigson on the move!!

Ticats lose Hickman to NFL’s Colts

566b1825402da25750dd08aa6e90.jpg

Moving to Indy
Justin Hickman has agreed to a two-year contract with the Indianapolis Colts of the National Football League.

Hamilton Spectator File Photo

This was one early-morning call that Justin Hickman didn’t mind taking.

The Ticats’ defensive end was still in bed Monday morning when his phone rang at 7:30 and, while he didn’t recognize the number, he knew the area code: Indianapolis. He picked up.

On the other end of the line was new Colts general manager Ryan Grigson, who had just finished watching tape of Hickman. They chatted for a few nervous minutes before Grigson got to the point: He wanted to make a deal.

Less than a day later, Hickman agreed to a two-year contract with the Colts that will see him receive a signing bonus — a key indicator the team is serious about their interest.

“It feels good,” Hickman, 26, said from his off-season home in Surprise, Ariz. “Obviously, playing in the NFL has been a dream of mine since I was a little kid.”

This will be Hickman’s second shot at the NFL. Undrafted out of UCLA, Hickman signed with the Washington Redskins before the 2007 season but was released that September. He then played in the Arena Football League before signing with the Ticats just before the 2009 training camp.

In three productive years with Hamilton, the Texas native amassed 144 tackles and 27 sacks. Hickman had his best season in 2011 when he tied for the league lead in sacks with 13 and collected 49 tackles.

“I had a good year in my contract year and I have to take advantage,” Hickman said. “Signing an NFL contract doesn’t guarantee you a roster spot. I still have to put the work in … there’s no celebration.”

Hickman’s departure is another off-season blow to the Ticats, who have already lost kick returner and receiver Marcus Thigpen to the Miami Dolphins. Another standout last season, kicker Justin Medlock, is exploring NFL opportunities and becomes a CFL free agent next week.

Hickman said the Ticats extended him a contract offer but he wanted to test the NFL market. He had a workout in Jacksonville as well as a session with Indianapolis in early January but didn’t think the Colts were in the mix when general manager Chris Polian got fired the very next day.

“I give a lot of credit to Grigson because he watched the film and saw something he liked,” Hickman said.

At six-foot-two, 265 pounds, Hickman is undersized by NFL standards but says he’ll get an opportunity at outside linebacker in the Colts new 3-4 defensive alignment — essentially a pass rusher.

He’ll also likely get a shot on special teams, something he did in the CFL.

“Special teams is more of will thing, guys just wanting to do it,” Hickman said. “And I’ll do anything to get a job.”

Hickman said he’s thankful to the Ticat organization for giving him an opportunity and would consider returning to the CFL if things don’t work out down south.

“I enjoyed every second of it,” he said.

Andy 246... can you give us some more info on this new signing? ( Justin Hickman )

CFL All Star. Had 13 sacks this year in the CFL. Many of the same traits as Cameron Wake, but is a little bigger and not as fast. Been in the league a couple of years, amassing 14 sacks in 2009 and 2010. He has the potential to be a backup, fight for the starting (4-3) DE or (3-4) OLB spot if Mathis or Freeney leave. Good signing, torched the Allouettes a ton of times.

Thanks for the news, but you should make a thread next time. It's no big deal.

Well, although it may be tough, they can teach pass rushers Freeney + Mathis to play OLBs, who 75% of the time pass rush. They did it for Mario Williams, so there's quite a bit of hope that it will happen. Linebackers changing is not a big switch. Ryans and Cushing were still great this year and they found the transition "smooth". CB and S shouldnt change too much besides the fact that the plays will be changing. The Colts would need to draft a NT, and they could make Nevis and Moala 3-4 DEs. That would be tough, but they have a great staff and these kids are still young. I think it would be easier than you think. It's more beneficial going forward. Look at all the best defenses in the league, Steelers, Ravens, 49ers, Texans... they all use a 3-4. With the right personnel, it works.

I am not questioning the 3-4 defense what so ever, I'm questioning the ability of the current personnel to be 3-4 players. Maybe Anderson could be a 3-4 DE, moala sucks no matter where you put him, they would need 2 new DE through draft or free agency. Nevis is not a two gap player, there is no 3-4 NT on this roster either. Ryans is big and always shed blocks well, Cushing had a year to play ILB when Ryan's went down, the texans also play a one gap 3-4 Hybrid, the colts could do that but not a true two gap 3-4 without 7 new pieces.

Not even angerer fits as a 3-4 ILB he is undersized, frankly all the colts are undersized for even a 4-3. However they have options at OLB in a 3-4, Mathis, hughes, wheeler, the two new Canadian guys, one as coverage the other as a pass rusher. Then there is a safety and corner that are fine, that leaves the entire front 3 at least 1 if not 2 ILB's, another safety and corner, 7 pieces minimum. I think a 4-3, with the 4-3 under which is a five man front or the 3-4 the texans run this hybrid would be the start of the transition.

Not even angerer fits as a 3-4 ILB he is undersized, frankly all the colts are undersized for even a 4-3. However they have options at OLB in a 3-4, Mathis, hughes, wheeler, the two new Canadian guys, one as coverage the other as a pass rusher. Then there is a safety and corner that are fine, that leaves the entire front 3 at least 1 if not 2 ILB's, another safety and corner, 7 pieces minimum. I think a 4-3, with the 4-3 under which is a five man front or the 3-4 the texans run this hybrid would be the start of the transition.

Why people keep saying this I do not know. You don't need to be a 250lbs to play ILB. There are multiple ILBs that are anger's size and they play fine. The only thing you can really knock him on his height, but 6'0 is fine it's not going to cripple him when playing ILB.

Why people keep saying this I do not know. You don't need to be a 250lbs to play ILB. There are multiple ILBs that are anger's size and they play fine. The only thing you can really knock him on his height, but 6'0 is fine it's not going to cripple him when playing ILB.

He cannot shed blockers! The 4-3 protects smaller less powerful linebackers, the 3-4 strength is linebackers and having them as the focal point. Angerer cannot shed blocks nor can Conner. You are saidly mistaken to think he is a long term Quality solution as a 3-4 linebacker.

He cannot shed blockers! The 4-3 protects smaller less powerful linebackers, the 3-4 strength is linebackers and having them as the focal point. Angerer cannot shed blocks nor can Conner. You are saidly mistaken to think he is a long term Quality solution as a 3-4 linebacker.

Did I ever say he was a long term solution? Nope. I never even mentioned anything about him being a long term solution. You and I won't truly know how good he is as a 3'4 ILB till they actually start playing. To assume he won't do well in a 3-4 system because he is "undersized" is just silly.

Did I ever say he was a long term solution? Nope. I never even mentioned anything about him being a long term solution. You and I won't truly know how good he is as a 3'4 ILB till they actually start playing. To assume he won't do well in a 3-4 system because he is "undersized" is just silly.

No, to assume he won't do well in a 3-4 because he is undersized, and has the ability of a corner to shed blockers is why he will not be anything other than a temporary piece, is actually a logical reasoning. He isn't a great 4-3 Mike, he would be solid on the outside if he were faster and taller in a 4-3 as say the will or Sam. And we know he has average coverage skills. I am a realist on quality of our personnel check my track record on the forum. I call it like I see it.

No, to assume he won't do well in a 3-4 because he is undersized, and has the ability of a corner to shed blockers is why he will not be anything other than a temporary piece, is actually a logical reasoning. He isn't a great 4-3 Mike, he would be solid on the outside if he were faster and taller in a 4-3 as say the will or Sam. And we know he has average coverage skills. I am a realist on quality of our personnel check my track record on the forum. I call it like I see it.

Last I checked none of us have seen him play in a 3-4 system so you nor I can call jack on wether he'll fit in the system or not. All we can do is wait and see.

Last I checked none of us have seen him play in a 3-4 system so you nor I can call jack on wether he'll fit in the system or not. All we can do is wait and see.

I understand where you are coming from, we don't know, but based on skill set and system requirements, he really doesn't fit. Like Nevis as a 3-4 DE. Good skill set for 4-3 (both of them) not ment for the 3-4. 3-4 ILB are huge and physical, can shed blockers extremely well!

I hope im wrong but i just dont see Nevis being a true 3 4 DE...he is a 1 gap penetrator DT if you ask me.

I think he can be used as a NT on obvious passing situations, or when they go 4 3 which seems to be the case with Chuck Pagano

Exactly he will be kept for 4-3 formations. Give the opponents as many looks as possible.

Hmmm, seems like the Colts need alot of players for a 3-4 defense. Hopefully they could take care of most of it through the draft and free agency. They need a solid CB, SS & some D-linemen it would seem. LB core might be fine if Hughes, Mathis, & or Freeny can convert to LB (assuming they all stay), then they can work on the line and CB & SS spot. Not sure what to do with the 3-4 DEs would Anderson and Brayton be adequate enough? It just seems like alot of work for this undersized defense, I guess the coaches will have their hands full at least, lol.

Hmmm, seems like the Colts need alot of players for a 3-4 defense. Hopefully they could take care of most of it through the draft and free agency. They need a solid CB, SS & some D-linemen it would seem. LB core might be fine if Hughes, Mathis, & or Freeny can convert to LB (assuming they all stay), then they can work on the line and CB & SS spot. Not sure what to do with the 3-4 DEs would Anderson and Brayton be adequate enough? It just seems like alot of work for this undersized defense, I guess the coaches will have their hands full at least, lol.

Anderson has the height and length to control two gaps, not really the size. Hands full is and understatement! lmao

I don't know how Nevis will fit into a 3-4 (he's a classic 1 gap penetrator), but Moala has played 3-4 DE before. USC switched him to that position when they switched from a 4-3 to 3-4, so this should be old hat to him.

It's crazy cause I think on the old forum I would see you say how much you hated moala. I would rather just cut him.. He sucks.

If we get a strong NT like Paul Soliai or maybe Alameda Ta'amu in the late 2nd, early 3rd, and another guy like Jared Crick to play 3-4 DE we should be fine with the LBs we have. Pat Angerer and Kavell Conner can play ILB as long as we put some big bodies in front of them.

If we get a strong NT like Paul Soliai or maybe Alameda Ta'amu in the late 2nd, early 3rd, and another guy like Jared Crick to play 3-4 DE we should be fine with the LBs we have. Pat Angerer and Kavell Conner can play ILB as long as we put some big bodies in front of them.

Temporarily yes, long term no. They do not do make any other 3-4!team as a starting ILB.

People seem to forget Zach Thomas. Whom Pat is taller than, but only about 7-10lbs lighter.

Here are some articles that would shed light on our back and forth size stereotyping for 3-4 defensive positions:

http://bleacherrepor...the-3-4-defense

http://www.scardraft...Parcells34.html

http://www.scardraft.com/LeBeau34.html

A lot of players have transitioned from 4-3 MLB to 3-4 ILB if their instincts and abilities are good enough. Conner is better in run support than Angerer, IMO and that is why Conner suits strongside ILB play while Angerer suits weakside ILB play in a 3-4. Besides, if you get that NT that takes on 2 blockers, we know that Angerer and Conner have a nose for the ball. We are just jumping to conclusions without giving them a chance or seeing them play in a 3-4 behind a good NT. The question is, how will our OLB candidates fare in coverage - mainly Hughes, Wheeler and Mathis?

Freeney, it will be a case of "Let Lawrence Taylor rush the QB all the time" and don't give a hoot about putting him in coverage. That is what Bill Parcells told Belichick when Belichick coached LT as DC for the Giants during their SB wins in the early 90s. If they are going to put multiple WRs and spread us out, the least you can do is make their life miserable with Freeney rushing them and forcing them to use an extra person to double team Freeney. If pass rush is the strength over coverage, use the pass rush and get tipped balls, as simple as that.