Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017-2018 Indiana Pacers and Everything NBA Thread


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

The Warriors are a completley different monster, they also have the defensive player of the year playing inside(Draymond Green). Also, Klay, Durant and Steph are much better shooters than CP3, Harden and PG13.  The Warriors also have a solid bench, the Rockets didn't have that great of a bench last year and traded like 6 players away for CP3.  If they don't get someone else, I see them being 2nd or 3rd in the West, I think the Spurs are better.  If they get Melo or Paul George(I don't know what trade assets they have to get one of those two) then they can probably make the West Finals but they aren't beating GS.

Completely agree. The Warriors are literally unbeatable if all of their guys stay healthy. I don't care what the other team can present

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMO Paul George failed at giving an honest 100% effort every night on both ends of floor and being a leader . He has the me me me syndrome, nothing against you my friend I like you . that is and has b

Mark is on an island here. I wouldn't waste too much energy on changing his mind. This team is going to the promise land.. woot.

Love how all the mainstream sports media outlets are talking about what went wrong with the Cavs and LeBron instead of praising the Pacers. 

Posted Images

interesting article from indystar regarding the pacers history with free agents

 

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2017/06/28/pacers-free-agency-ranking-every-player-they-have-signed/421879001/

 

not a good look when david west is our best signing ever and no one else even remotely sniffed an all star game

 

no mention of teague, and rightfully so if he leaves after one season imo

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

interesting article from indystar regarding the pacers history with free agents

 

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2017/06/28/pacers-free-agency-ranking-every-player-they-have-signed/421879001/

 

not a good look when david west is our best signing ever and no one else even remotely sniffed an all star game

 

no mention of teague, and rightfully so if he leaves after one season imo

 

I agree with you we don't attract any great FA it's just how it goes 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not sure. I am still clueless what we will do with PG and not sure this move will have any impact who we trade him too.

I think he'll be more of an advisor, so to speak.  I'm sure Pritchard will have the final say on everything.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Rumors say the pacers are asking for a lot from Boston for pg and they are  calling it unrealistic guess we want the Nets and Lakers picks next year plus starting player(s)

That's not too much at all. Ainge and KP are just playing hard ball with one another

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Luck is Good said:

That's not too much at all. Ainge and KP are just playing hard ball with one another

That is quite a bit to ask for if PG is a 1 year rental imo. If Boston can somehow acquire PG knowing he'll extend his contract with them then it's a fair trade. Otherwise, they'll giving up a lot of assets just to see him go to LA the following season. Wouldn't that be funny if the Celtics was able to acquire and retain PG--considering the history between that franchise and the Lakers?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Rumors say the pacers are asking for a lot from Boston for pg and they are  calling it unrealistic guess we want the Nets and Lakers picks next year plus starting player(s)

WE should be.....we should be asking for the price of Paul if the resigns there..

If they say no, they can stay with Marcus Smart

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boilermaker said:

That is quite a bit to ask for if PG is a 1 year rental imo. If Boston can somehow acquire PG knowing he'll extend his contract with them then it's a fair trade. Otherwise, they'll giving up a lot of assets just to see him go to LA the following season. Wouldn't that be funny if the Celtics was able to acquire and retain PG--considering the history between that franchise and the Lakers?

It's arguable.  Many teams go decades (with an s) without winning a championship.  Many can go several years without even making the playoffs or posting a winning record.  Boston is close to a championship now and they need a few pieces to get them over LeBron in the East and to be competitive against the Warriors in the West.  Clearly, what they have now isn't working since they just lost 4-1 against Cleveland.  When you're that close to a championship, there's a strong argument for going all in and trying to win it all in the next year.  Not only that, but PG - who changes his mind more than he changes his underwear - has said he wants to play for a contender.  If the Celtics can show him that they're in a position to compete for a championship for the next few years and they actually have the pieces to go against LeBron and the Warriors, he might stay.

 

If Ainge is too scared to pull the trigger, he could end up with the same team he has now.  Good for regular season success, but not good enough to beat LeBron and nowhere near good enough to compete against the Warriors.  So you could stay championship-less now, or roll the dice and try to hang another banner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

Until we decide where Paul George is going, it will be difficult for us to sign anybody...on July 1..

We dont know who we have so we dont  know who we want to bring in to help who we have.

 

This is a bad position to be in

Not always 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Not unless Brad meets Gordon halfway here in Indy. That's about the closest Gordon will ever get to here.

apparently PG saying he'd leaving publically,,,,removed any chance of Hayward even talking about coming to Indianapolis..

 

..looks like the only free agents who will think about us are the ones who cant get a job interview anyplace else

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

It's arguable.  Many teams go decades (with an s) without winning a championship.  Many can go several years without even making the playoffs or posting a winning record.  Boston is close to a championship now and they need a few pieces to get them over LeBron in the East and to be competitive against the Warriors in the West.  Clearly, what they have now isn't working since they just lost 4-1 against Cleveland.  When you're that close to a championship, there's a strong argument for going all in and trying to win it all in the next year.  Not only that, but PG - who changes his mind more than he changes his underwear - has said he wants to play for a contender.  If the Celtics can show him that they're in a position to compete for a championship for the next few years and they actually have the pieces to go against LeBron and the Warriors, he might stay.

 

If Ainge is too scared to pull the trigger, he could end up with the same team he has now.  Good for regular season success, but not good enough to beat LeBron and nowhere near good enough to compete against the Warriors.  So you could stay championship-less now, or roll the dice and try to hang another banner.

I see what you're saying. I would be more inclined to pull the trigger if this was 3 or so years ago before the Warriors as we know them today existed. But there's a lot of uncertainties with an acquisition such as this.

 

1) As mentioned, will PG stay longer than one year? PG's went on the record saying he wants to play for a contender. However, he prefers to play for the Lakers, who currently is not even in the conversation of remotely contending especially out in the west at the present moment.

 

2) If the Celtics justify the risk of acquiring PG for a one year rental on the basis of going "all in" for a championship, how good of a chance do they truly have of winning it all even with PG? With PG, I think they have a pretty solid chance of ousting Lebron and the Cavs. However, I don't see the Celtics beating the Warriors in a best of 7 even with George. It's possible, but unlikely. Maybe if they add Gordon Hayward then it gets more interesting but that's another if. TBH, I don't see the Celtics making this trade unless if they acquire Hayward.

 

Overall, I think the risks outweighs the benefits of making the aforementioned trade. Sure, if they don't pull the trigger then the team could remain the same for next year. But is that really that bad? All things considered, the Celtics are in a good position for the future unlike organizations like the Cavs. They have plenty of draft picks to build for the future. Furthermore, they have an excellent coach in Brad Stevens who's always going to get the most out of his team. This in turn will attract other notable free agents. If I was Ainge, I wouldn't gamble all of those assets away for a possible championship without knowing for certain that PG's committed to stay long term. That's a desperate move that's not necessary for the Celtics.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Not always 

 

But this time, it is.

We need to settle the PG thing so anyone who wanted to take our offers will know who they're playing with..

 

Even Jeff Teague is probably waiting on us to decide what trade we make with Paul

Link to post
Share on other sites

   I think we'll settle for Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder and one (not two) of the high Boston picks.

That allows the Pacers to stay competitive AND get a high pick (Maybe 2 with their own) in 2018

 

..and it allows Boston to occupy LeBron with PG, take their shot at the title (keep {G away from Cleveland) and keep a high draft choice for 2018 and 2019

Link to post
Share on other sites

Boston has to resign  Avery Bradley after this coming season and they wont be able to keep him and Isiaih anyway..

PG would replace Crowder and they've drafted Crowder' eventual replacement

 

I think we're just haggling....we'll make this deal

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

It's arguable.  Many teams go decades (with an s) without winning a championship. 

12 out of 30 nba teams have never won

 

26 minutes ago, Boilermaker said:

I don't see the Celtics making this trade unless if they acquire Hayward.
 

i think thats the idea.  if they get hayward, they think they can extend PG

 

if they dont get either, they are content to keep their picks and wait out the cavs and warriors.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boilermaker said:

I see what you're saying. I would be more inclined to pull the trigger if this was 3 or so years ago before the Warriors as we know them today existed. But there's a lot of uncertainties with an acquisition such as this.

 

1) As mentioned, will PG stay longer than one year? PG's went on the record saying he wants to play for a contender. However, he prefers to play for the Lakers, who currently is not even in the conversation of remotely contending especially out in the west at the present moment.

 

2) If the Celtics justify the risk of acquiring PG for a one year rental on the basis of going "all in" for a championship, how good of a chance do they truly have of winning it all even with PG? With PG, I think they have a pretty solid chance of ousting Lebron and the Cavs. However, I don't see the Celtics beating the Warriors in a best of 7 even with George. It's possible, but unlikely. Maybe if they add Gordon Hayward then it gets more interesting but that's another if. TBH, I don't see the Celtics making this trade unless if they acquire Hayward.

 

Overall, I think the risks outweighs the benefits of making the aforementioned trade. Sure, if they don't pull the trigger then the team could remain the same for next year. But is that really that bad? All things considered, the Celtics are in a good position for the future unlike organizations like the Cavs. They have plenty of draft picks to build for the future. Furthermore, they have an excellent coach in Brad Stevens who's always going to get the most out of his team. This in turn will attract other notable free agents. If I was Ainge, I wouldn't gamble all of those assets away for a possible championship without knowing for certain that PG's committed to stay long term. That's a desperate move that's not necessary for the Celtics.

That's fair.  But at what point does Ainge want to stop being the Clippers of the East?  It's great to have 50+ win seasons, be ranked #1 or #2 in your conference, and have division titles.  But if there's no championship there, it doesn't mean that much.  Furthermore, at some point, you have to cash in all your assets.  It doesn't help if you're saying "we have assets for the future" every year.  The Celtics are in a position to win now, so their future is now.  This is the time to cash in your assets and make a run for a championship.  Maybe they can acquire Hayward too and really up their chances?  But if they don't make a splash, they don't have any chance of beating LeBron, meaning all of these assets and roster building and great coaching would result in no championships

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

   I think we'll settle for Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder and one (not two) of the high Boston picks.

That allows the Pacers to stay competitive AND get a high pick (Maybe 2 with their own) in 2018

 

..and it allows Boston to occupy LeBron with PG, take their shot at the title (keep {G away from Cleveland) and keep a high draft choice for 2018 and 2019

 

I think you are right.

 

Maybe a third team could get involved for Bradley and/or Crowder? Ideally the Pacers get younger players and picks for PG. Bradley and Crowder are both good and have value but they are likely in the deal for salary purposes. I'm guessing KP would prefer younger players/picks if he had the choice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love this......I have always wanted Olidipo..

He'll start for us and Sabonis has a lot of potential,.

 

This is better than draft choices.......we have payers with track records who can contribute next season....

 

Oladipo is 25..Sabonis just turned 21

Edited by oldunclemark
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

interesting.  i liked VO when he was at IU.  looks like hes averaged 16 pts per game in the nba

 

not familiar with Sabonis

 

is victor more of a point guard or shooting guard for us?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, aaron11 said:

interesting.  i liked VO when he was at IU.  looks like hes averaged 16 pts per game in the nba

 

not familiar with Sabonis

 

is victor more of a point guard or shooting guard for us?

Sabonis is only 21 is Arvytas Sabonis' son 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I thought this was an interesting watch:     There are really only a handful of Superstar Free Agent signings that you can point to and say "that's why they won a SB":  Tom Brady to Tampa.  Reggie White to Green Bay.  Deion Sanders to Dallas/SF.  Brees to New Orleans.  Peyton to Denver.  And every one of those guys is in the conversation of being the best to play their position... like ever.  But the key is that the teams they went to had already been built through the draft, which is what Ballard is doing.  If you build it, they will come.  (We can kind of already see this with Rivers choosing the Colts last year and Wentz preferring the Colts this year)   I don't think anyone that was a free agent this year is in the conversation of being the GOAT at their respective position, so it really didn't make sense to break the bank for any of the "superstar" free agents this year.  I know @DEFENSE doesn't like Ballards "dollar general method", but it's pretty smart considering the big splash free agent signings rarely correlate to SBs, because those elite HoF-type Superstar Free Agents only come around once in a blue moon.   And Ballard has spent quite a bit the last two offseasons on arguably the two most important positions:  QB to make the offense run, and 3T to make the defense run.  He just didn't spent it on superstar free agents, he traded for proven guys still in their prime.  Ballard is being aggressive with trades and big contracts, but he isn't being stupid wasting big money on a FA when there isn't a guy worth that kind of money.
    • Of course that's within reason. Although... to be honest... I personally would draft one of the top 4 QBs if he falls even with Wentz on the roster... but I know I'm in the small minority here and I know Ballard would never do that. And I think it would be a mistake not to take him if he fell(Lance or Fields lets say) . Getting as many good shots at a franchise QB as possible to me is more valuable than a random late 1st DE or OT or WR or CB. Especially when you see what those QBs go for once they fail. Wentz failed and still managed to return 1st and a 3d. Darnold has been bottom 5 QB for his entire career and he still managed to return 2nd , 4th and 6th(this is about 1st round type value). QBs are valuable. I consider all top 4 QBs great prospects and amazing value at 21... so... if one of them falls... I run to the podium.   If Wentz returns to his MVP form... great... You have an MVP type QB and you have an amazing backup for a QB who's had injury problems for several years... or if he's amazing in practice and beats Wentz... maybe you trade Wentz. Or if he's good, but not better than Wentz I bet you can still get at least a second for him in a couple of years. And if Wentz fails you get a shot at a top tier talent with a modest investment.    So yeah... this is my line of thinking here. 
    • There are a lot of factors involved, but generally speaking, I believe,  a 2021 2nd round pick has the same value as a 2022 1st round pick..... so our 2021 1st round pick should be worth a 2022 1st round pick and additional pick(s).    But it takes 2 to tango and Ballard and another GM both need to be willing. 
    • "Best value" could be a trade(down ... or up?) too, I'm not excluding that. Because of the way NFL teams value picks IMO trade down should almost always be option no.1. Teams are gifting value trying to trade up IMO. So... I'm almost always team "trade down" if such opportunity presents itself.     
  • Members

    • dgierhart

      dgierhart 1

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NewColtsFan

      NewColtsFan 9,169

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • C0LT5

      C0LT5 64

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NannyMcafee

      NannyMcafee 1,694

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • JPPT1974

      JPPT1974 835

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...