Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017-2018 Indiana Pacers and Everything NBA Thread

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Hayward isn't as great as PG but that lineup would probably have us right back at least a 7 or 8 Seed at worse. Potential is the key here though, in 2 or 3 years Fox and Ingram could explode along with Hayward and Turner then we would have something with your lineup. Randle is already Above Average to Good.

That team would be really good. All the potential in the world

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

If a PG-less team isn't high on players lists..

...why do you want to deal him while he's still under contract?

..and not try to obtain players to play WITH him?

see what I mean?

Lets try to win..not try to tank

WE ARE IN CAP HELL!! WE ARE NOT GONNA GET ANYWHERE WITH THE STUPID GO ALL IN METHOD 

9 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

I think a deal with the Lakers has more potential than a deal with the Celtics

It would....because Boston really wants Josh Jackson. Which is exactly who we should target. Think this way. We land #2 and Ingram and Randle. Boston wants Jackson not Fultz. They then would have to draft Jackson at 1 leaving us to trade Fultz to 76ers for third and future firsts or we get Fultz plus that haul. We would actually get a better deal. 

All things equal I'd actually like Fultz, Smart, and Brown. That's the best trade. I love those guys. Smart and Brown are very versitle guard 3 positions each and Fultz is going to be an elite scorer and can play on ball or off...actually play off Lance well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It would....because Boston really wants Josh Jackson. Which is exactly who we should target. Think this way. We land #2 and Ingram and Randle. Boston wants Jackson not Fultz. They then would have to draft Jackson at 1 leaving us to trade Fultz to 76ers for third and future firsts or we get Fultz plus that haul. We would actually get a better deal. 

All things equal I'd actually like Fultz, Smart, and Brown. That's the best trade. I love those guys. Smart and Brown are very versitle guard 3 positions each and Fultz is going to be an elite scorer and can play on ball or off...actually play off Lance well.

I do love Markelle Fultz. That guy has a certain demeanor about him that's gonna make him a star. Jaylen Brown has a lot of potential too. But I just think a deal with the Lakers has a little more potential

I think LA and Boston have made up their mind to keep their picks. LA wants to keep their core to attract Lebron and PG in 18. Boston wants the young core and picks to trade for Butler and also have cap space to sign Griffin. They would have Thomas, Bradley, Butler, Griffin, and Hortford....with Smart and some others off bench likely having to give up Jackson and Brown and 76ers 18 pick to Bulls.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think LA and Boston have made up their mind to keep their picks. LA wants to keep their core to attract Lebron and PG in 18. Boston wants the young core and picks to trade for Butler and also have cap space to sign Griffin. They would have Thomas, Bradley, Butler, Griffin, and Hortford....with Smart and some others off bench likely having to give up Jackson and Brown and 76ers 18 pick to Bulls.

I think the Celtics could very much be a threat to the Cavs if they get Jimmy Butler. That guy is a balla and would definitely fit in with that team's tough mentality

• Like 1

I think if we trade Paul it might be to a team like Miami. A GM that can convince Paul to stay (desirable location and his baby mama is from there). It's not as good long term as LA/BOS scenerios but allows us to be good potentially right away and in future allowing Pritchard to save face.

Miami trades Winslow, Richardson, and Tyler Johnson plus #14 pick for PG and maybe salary filler. 14 plus 18 could land us say Donavon Mitchell and John Collins...two really intriguing pieces with potential to really help this team down the road. Winslow can be a great defender and improving his offense. Richardson is a three point assassin and great offensive fit. Think about a Teague, Richardson, Mitchell, Lance, GRIII back court with Winslow, Johnson, Young, Collins, Turner, Seraphin front court. That not only is a young exciting team but talented and likely 4/5 seed right away. Actually better than our current Pacer team. Plus some cap space to upgrade that front line behind Turner. There is some logic if we think we can't put a team next to Paul that will get him to re-sign.

Wojo is saying that PG has told the Pacers he plans to go to the Lakers in 2018.

This should not come as a surprise. Assuming PG did have his agent tell the Pacers this (like the article states) i'm glad he did. I never thought the Pacers had a chance to keep PG without a championship contending roster. Bird did not put together that type of roster over the past few years and this team is still a ways away.

I know some will hate on PG for this and even more when he leaves. I don't. I appreciate PG for he has done here and I can't blame him for wanting to go to LA. The Pacers have not done a good job of building the roster around him and the Lakers are a much more attractive situation. The current roster, potential to land other big time free agents, and LA is home to PG.

I have been on the side that thinks the Pacers should trade PG. You know he wants to win and it has been clear that is not likely to happen here. Get what you can and move forward.

17 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I just was reading another article where Paul said he wanted to stay a Pacer if some high caliber players were brought in. So IMO I have no clue what to believe.

32 minutes ago, ar7 said:

Wojo is saying that PG has told the Pacers he plans to go to the Lakers in 2018.

This should not come as a surprise. Assuming PG did have his agent tell the Pacers this (like the article states) i'm glad he did. I never thought the Pacers had a chance to keep PG without a championship contending roster. Bird did not put together that type of roster over the past few years and this team is still a ways away.

I know some will hate on PG for this and even more when he leaves. I don't. I appreciate PG for he has done here and I can't blame him for wanting to go to LA. The Pacers have not done a good job of building the roster around him and the Lakers are a much more attractive situation. The current roster, potential to land other big time free agents, and LA is home to PG.

I have been on the side that thinks the Pacers should trade PG. You know he wants to win and it has been clear that is not likely to happen here. Get what you can and move forward.

Can't say I blame him for leaving. PG is too good to be stuck on a team that struggles to make the playoffs in the East. He won't be doing himself any favors though by going to the Lakers. He'll have to contend with San Antonio and Golden State instead of just LeBron now.

29 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I posted about this in the wrong thread.

I don't doubt PG would be interested in staying here if the Pacers had a team that could contend but they don't. Bird has not done a good job at building this roster. LA is far more attractive with young talent, chance to get other free agent stars to sign, and it is home to PG.

There are probably a lot of people * at PG for this leaking and for him wanting to leave. I don't fault him one bit though. I appreciate all he has done here and it has been fun watching him but it's time to move forward without him. They need to get whatever they can and I have felt that way for some time.

If the Pacers (Bird) did a respectable job at building this roster the past few years I could understand the bitterness some Pacer fans feel towards PG. The roster isn't where it needs to be though and that is on the Pacers not PG. If I was PG I would want to go elsewhere too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ar7 said:

I post about this in the wrong thread.

I don't doubt PG would be interested in staying here if the Pacers had a team that could contend but they don't. Bird has not done a good job at building this roster. LA is far more attractive with young talent, chance to get other free agent stars to sign, and it is home to PG.

There are probably a lot of people * at PG for this leaking and for him wanting to leave. I don't fault him one bit though. I appreciate all he has done here and it has been fun watching him but it's time to move forward without him. They need to get whatever they can and I have felt that way for some time.

If the Pacers (Bird) did a respectable job at building this roster the past few years I could understand the bitterness some Pacer fans feel towards PG. The roster isn't where it needs to be though and that is on the Pacers not PG. If I was PG I would want to go elsewhere too.

The Pacers will not be in contention for a chance at a championship till either Simon spends the money or there is a hard cap. I don't see a change in the cap as long as the NBA is getting paid.

8 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Pacers have to get something for him now. Don't see how you bring a player back after he said hes gone after the next year.

Understandable but finding a trade partner would be tough with Paul's contract as it stands.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Pacers have to get something for him now. Don't see how you bring a player back after he said hes gone after the next year.

No team is gonna trade for PG knowing he's gonna go to the Lakers next summer. It'd be a one year rental. Only team that would trade for him would be the Lakers. Since they're gonna get him in FA, they'd be stupid to trade at all

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Can't say I blame him for leaving. PG is too good to be stuck on a team that struggles to make the playoffs in the East. He won't be doing himself any favors though by going to the Lakers. He'll have to contend with San Antonio and Golden State instead of just LeBron now.

I can't blame him for leaving either. A championship caliber team hasn't been put around him. I won't hate him at all, unless he somehow goes to the Cavs. Oh lord I would hate him for the rest of my life

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The Pacers will not be in contention for a chance at a championship till either Simon spends the money or there is a hard cap. I don't see a change in the cap as long as the NBA is getting paid.

I think the talk of Simon's willingness to spend holding this team back from contention is overblown. I'm not even sure there is a correlation between the highest spending teams and the top 4-5 teams in the league each year though it would be an interesting study.

This franchise has had multiple teams that could contend for the championship during Simon's tenure. Perhaps Simon is willing to do it if it is required for them to keep a key player or bring in an important free agent. Simon is not going to spend money just to spend money but I don't think that his frugalness is preventing the Pacers from building championship contenders. JMO.

18 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

No team is gonna trade for PG knowing he's gonna go to the Lakers next summer. It'd be a one year rental. Only team that would trade for him would be the Lakers. Since they're gonna get him in FA, they'd be stupid to trade at all

PG just killed any trade leverge we had.

7 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

There are some advantages to having him a year earlier. First being he has time to get to know his teammates and who you may want to keep on a team surrounding him and who to move on. Second is when it comes time to re-signing him you can go over the cap to do so/flexibility there. Third it's easier to convince other free agents to join in 2018 if Paul is already in fold. Fourth you don't chance him changing his mind I'd say Miami or Denver takes a one year flier on him. Fifth you can dump salary (Mozgoff) perhaps in making salary match and throw in desirable piece. If I'm Boston I do a trade. First off they have a couple players like Zeller and Bradley that are free agents next year anyways and won't be re-signed....so in essence it's a one year swap for them. The price of the one year upgrade might be one of this future 18picks. Who knows they could possibly make the finals and that might convince PG to stay. At this point we KNOW we aren't getting a good trade....we blew it at the deadline last year. It's why Bird bailed. Maybe we trade to Portland for crabbe and those 3 draft picks in the 20s. They need cap space and no place to put the picks. Maybe they make a one year run with PG. it's going to suck no matter what we get but now we have to rebuild....move all pieces that are worth anything....Young, GRIII, any assets that will fetch a draft pick.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

There are some advantages to having him a year earlier. First being he has time to get to know his teammates and who you may want to keep on a team surrounding him and who to move on. Second is when it comes time to re-signing him you can go over the cap to do so/flexibility there. Third it's easier to convince other free agents to join in 2018 if Paul is already in fold. Fourth you don't chance him changing his mind I'd say Miami or Denver takes a one year flier on him. Fifth you can dump salary (Mozgoff) perhaps in making salary match and throw in desirable piece. If I'm Boston I do a trade. First off they have a couple players like Zeller and Bradley that are free agents next year anyways and won't be re-signed....so in essence it's a one year swap for them. The price of the one year upgrade might be one of this future 18picks. Who knows they could possibly make the finals and that might convince PG to stay. At this point we KNOW we aren't getting a good trade....we blew it at the deadline last year. It's why Bird bailed. Maybe we trade to Portland for crabbe and those 3 draft picks in the 20s. They need cap space and no place to put the picks. Maybe they make a one year run with PG. it's going to suck no matter what we get but now we have to rebuild....move all pieces that are worth anything....Young, GRIII, any assets that will fetch a draft pick.

Does anyone think this has anything to do with the Celtics? I wouldn't think so but one never knows with Danny Ainge

41 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

To all those people who thought Bird shouldn't have traded him, how do you all feel now? And I'm talking about one poster in particular

Im sure Mark feels like he got punched in the gut today. Sure the rest of us saw the writing on the wall for months now but he wanted to believe the fairytale story was going to end with PG holding a finals MVP in one hand and a championship trophy in the other. We knew differently by how his agent and confidants leaking his desires to the press and his Jimmy Kimmell appearance.

i know the Colts catch flack for all the runner up banners and crap but honestly for the Pacers they should be proud of theirs. The NBA doesn't and never will have parity. We should be proud of the contenders we built. In another 5-10 years maybe we will have another run. Let's just nail some draft picks!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Im sure Mark feels like he got punched in the gut today. Sure the rest of us saw the writing on the wall for months now but he wanted to believe the fairytale story was going to end with PG holding a finals MVP in one hand and a championship trophy in the other. We knew differently by how his agent and confidants leaking his desires to the press and his Jimmy Kimmell appearance.

i know the Colts catch flack for all the runner up banners and crap but honestly for the Pacers they should be proud of theirs. The NBA doesn't and never will have parity. We should be proud of the contenders we built. In another 5-10 years maybe we will have another run. Let's just nail some draft picks!

This is gonna set us back 

I hope we tank next year