Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017-2018 Indiana Pacers and Everything NBA Thread

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If we want to make the whole league more competitive there needs to be a hard cap. As long as the NBA is paid money for teams to go over the cap it will be only those teams that choose to pay for the chance for a championship. IMO the NBA is a joke. I love watching me some basketball but it gets old seeing the same teams over and over competing for the crown.

In truth, the same teams don't compete over and over.in the finals.

Historically, teams go on 2 and 3 years runs...Beither GSSWW or Cleveland or Miami won the title back to back.

We see LBJ in the finals but he went with 3 different teams ( I count Cleveland twice)

Golden State is good now but that's going to end soon when the Lakers get Paul George

Edited by oldunclemark

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Every team needs a Bogdanovic because he spreads the floor and basically shoots 40% from 3 in doing so. In this league now days you need a guy like that or you will get nowhere. I actually think he might be our 2nd most important player behind Dipo.

Very true..Not second best but second most important...to us winning

In truth, we need 2 Bogdonavic's ...one on each wing..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

In truth, the same teams don't compete over and over..

We see LBJ in the finals but he went with 3 different teams ( I count Cleveland twice)

Golden State is good now but that's going to end soon when the Lakers get Paul George

But the fact remains those teams who are willing to pay the NBA are the ones who sign multiple stars on their teams.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

But the fact remains those teams who are willing to pay the NBA are the ones who sign multiple stars on their teams.

I agree with what you are saying about a Hard Cap. Why even have a Cap at all when you got teams like the Cavs going 30 Million over it to sign everyone. It defeats the purpose. Dan Gilbert is a billionaire so he could care less and will pay the luxury tax.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The rules don't stop any team from going over the cap...do they?

A certain midwest team just refuses to do so.

There are no poor owners. Dan Gilbert is just doing what he has to do to win.

Remember the Russian billionaire who owned the Nets.?

They won nothing with his money

Edited by oldunclemark
spell

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree with what you are saying about a Hard Cap. Why even have a Cap at all when you got teams like the Cavs going 30 Million over it to sign everyone. It defeats the purpose. Dan Gilbert is a billionaire so he could care less and will pay the luxury tax.

I long for the days when ABA teams would struggle just to make a payroll but we seen some of the best basketball ever played.  That is when players played the game just for the love of the game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

There are no poor owners

You have to pay a massive luxury tax if you do so, so most owners wont do it. There are few that don't care like Dan the man Gilbert. I call him the MAN because he wants to win at all costs lmao 

• Like 1

I long for the days when ABA teams would struggle just to make a payroll but we seen some of the best basketball ever played.  That is when players played the game just for the love of the game.

Even in the 80s and 90s, teams had limits....players do control the game much more now

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

There are no poor owners

There used to be a hard cap till Boston come up with the "Larry Bird" exemption. Once the money flood gates were thrown open basketball for the NBA started being all about the money. Not the pure sport of basketball.

That is also why I loved the 80's the best. Magic Johnson only made 150,000 a year when he came into the league. Today that is pocket change. To me the players in the 80's and players that came out in the 80's also played for the love of the game for the most part.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You have to pay a massive luxury tax if you do so, so most owners wont do it. There are few that don't care like Dan the man Gilbert. I call him the MAN because he wants to win at all costs lmao 

LeBron better think twice before he leaves Cleveland again because you are right, most owners wont pay the cost to win like Gilbert does

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is also why I loved the 80's the best. Magic Johnson only made 150,000 a year when he came into the league. Today that is pocket change. To me the players in the 80's and players that came out in the 80's also played for the love of the game for the most part.

I agree. Back when there was a thing called defense. Before they made it illegal for a big man to own the boards defensively.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There used to be a hard cap till Boston come up with the "Larry Bird" exemption. Once the money flood gates were thrown open basketball for the NBA started being all about the money. Not the pure sport of basketball.

all sports have changed.....most certainly baseball..

I don't think its fair to say that no players play for the sport more than the cash.

Most..but not all

I agree. Back when there was a thing called defense. Before they made it illegal for a big man to own the boards defensively.

Well, my problem is with the 3-point shot...

It blew up the game.

If you cant hand check a guard like Steph Curry and a 23-foot shot counts more than a hard earned layup....the game is lame

I dont like to see 35-40 3-point shots a game.

(By the way, Houston is playing tonight, right?)

Just now, oldunclemark said:

all sports have changed.....most certainly baseball..

I don't think its fair to say that no players play for the sport more than the cash.

Most..but not all

There are a few but not like it was once was. Now we get to see hear and see what kind of shoes they are wearing. Sad.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well, my problem is with the 3-point shot...

It blew up the game.

If you cant hand check a guard like Steph Curry and a 23-foot shot counts more than a hard earned layup....the game is lame

I dont like to see 35-40 3-point shots a game.

(By the way, Houston is playing tonight, right?)

And doing away with zone defenses.

• Thanks 1

There are a few but not like it was once was. Now we get to see hear and see what kind of shoes they are wearing. Sad.

Yeah, there was  'breaking news' the other day about how negotiations have broken off between Kawhi Leonard's 'people' and his shoe sponsor.

I'm saying, Seriously?  That's what's on his mind when he's sitting out games and cashing his check?.  Wow  

• Thanks 1

32-20 at the end of the 1st We looked good the first 5mins then the Jazz got it going we couldn't buy a basket and were a slow step on D.  

We are getting beat on the glass 0 for 5 from 3. This is not the team to fall behind 20 to and expect a come back We need to get it together now 

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I knew this would be a tough game. Jazz have been playing Great ball for about a month now and we just played 3 Good teams all going to the wire winning all 3. Down by 10 early but this really doesn't surprise me.

Did you see Crowder bank in the 3? I can't stand that guy It seems we have a lot of prayers fall against us 

2 hours ago, akcolt said:

Vegas made the Pacers home dogs tonight +1.5  We.beat the Jazz in Utah handily. The only teams with more home wins are GS Hou. Tor. and Boston. It seems disrespectful to me but I'll cash in on it 

I agree..Utah isn't as good as that number indicates,,

To pick them over us in Indy, they'd have to be 6-8 points better as a team and I need to see that before I believe it.

4 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Did you see Crowder bank in the 3? I can't stand that guy It seems we have a lot of prayers fall against us 

They've been a little lucky so far..This too, shall pass.

If Crowder had played like this the first half of the season, he'd still be in Cleveland

Edited by oldunclemark

9 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

They've been a little lucky so far..This too, shall pass.

If Crowder had played like this the first half of the season, he'd still be in Cleveland

We can't buy a bucket shots are half down popping out 

Just now, oldunclemark said:

They are shooting 60% from the floor.....If that lasts, they'll score 187 points.

They aren't that good

It wont last but it wouldn't shock me if we lost tonight. Jazz have a Good team and we are coming off 3 tough wins against the Bucks twice and Wizards. Jazz are fighting to get into the Playoffs, they are just game out of a Playoff spot. This should be a team we should beat at home but if we lose it wouldn't surprise me. I wont even be upset about it after beating the Bucks twice and Wizards.

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

They are shooting 60% from the floor.....If that lasts, they'll score 187 points.

They aren't that good

Their average will come back to earth Vic hurt his hand on a drive early and it looks like it's still bothering him 

• Thanks 1

Utah has made seven 3s..we have made none

We have had a couple go half way down and pop out We have done a good job fighting through it We are down 9 with about 3 to go We need to close this quarter strong