Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017-2018 Indiana Pacers and Everything NBA Thread

6 hours ago, akcolt said:

Abunoby is the guy I was hoping we'd take in the draft when he was there. Mainly because he was a Hoosier but he was good value. He was projected as a lottery pick before the injury. He's looking like a steal for the Raptors 51% fg 43% from deep we knew he could defend. 

The draft was the low point of the offseason IMO. As you said Leaf needs to get stronger but he looks like he can score. I was hoping for a guy that could help now.  I don't think Sumner has a future the kid can't shoot. Hopefully Ike will develop. 

I'm not complaining most rookies don't give you much anymore. The front office more then made up for it bringing in Dipo  Sabonis Bogy CoJo and DC. 

Yeah that defiantly would have been a very good pick for us he's also a SF a position we are not that great at depth wise right now 

I think Leaf can be a solid guy off the bench. He can get up and down the floor score the ball and has 3pt range. He should fit what we do.

It would have been nice if Brooks slide 2 more spots. The PAC 12 POY and he was the 3rd Duck off the board. He'starting for Memphis It's hard to complain with the team we put together. 

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

We all know now who won the Paul George trade now. 

We have the base put in place for the starting of a very competitive team for the future. With what we have seen all we need is that one added player to be considered in the top of the league.

Getting Robinson back could also help as he brings some defense with him when he returns.

I think what you said in the PG trade has been settled. We traded a player who didn't want to be here for two players who are damn glad to be here. That in itself makes a big difference.

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

We have the base put in place for the starting of a very competitive team for the future. With what we have seen all we need is that one added player to be considered in the top of the league.

Getting Robinson back could also help as he brings some defense with him when he returns.

I think what you said in the PG trade has been settled. We traded a player who didn't want to be here for two players who are damn glad to be here. That in itself makes a big difference.

True dat. Now, getting Robinson will help against OKC, we should be able to take care of them, IMO.

Here are my assessments for the 1st Trimester of the season for our Indiana Pacers. 1/3 of the season is in the books, 27 games in and here we go:

-Team Record and Positioning = B+ , it is a B+ at worse. Eventhough 16-11 isn't outstanding but it is far better than anyone thought it would be so far. We are basically tied with the Bucks for the 4th Seed in the East.

-Coaching = A, I have to give Nate McMillan an A as he has had us playing with great Chemistry and great Energy every night. Our Team Defense is much better than last years too.

-Victor Oladipo = easy A, I will say A+ for Vic - a SuperStar in the making

-Myles Turner = B, our 2nd best player and he's coming around. 24 in last nights win

-Bojan Bogdanovic = B, deadly 3 point shooter

-Thad Young = B, hustle guy and tough physical PF

-Domantas Sabonis = B, a lot better than I thought he would be

-Darren Collison = B, I like him better than Teague

-Lance Stephenson = B- , brings energy off the bench

-Corey Joseph = B- , gives 100% and does what is ask of him

-Al Jefferson = Incomplete, hasn't played enough for me to grade him

-TJ Leaf = Incomplete, hasn't played enough for me to grade him

-Joe Young = Incomplete, hasn't played enough for me to grade him

-Damien Wilkins = Incomplete, hasn't played enough for me to grade him

-Glenn Robinson III = Incomplete, hasn't played at all

*I gave out Incomplete's rather than bad grades to a few players because they have either been injured or just get very little minutes. Out of our Top 8 players not one of them deserved below a B- IMO.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Here are my assessments for the 1st Trimester of the season for our Indiana Pacers. 1/3 of the season is in the books, 27 games in and here we go:

-Team Record and Positioning = B+ , it is a B+ at worse. Eventhough 16-11 isn't outstanding but it is far better than anyone thought it would be so far. We are basically tied with the Bucks for the 4th Seed in the East.

-Coaching = A, I have to give Nate McMillan an A as he has had us playing with great Chemistry and great Energy every night. Our Team Defense is much better than last years too.

-Victor Oladipo = easy A, I will say A+ for Vic - a SuperStar in the making

-Myles Turner = B, our 2nd best player and he's coming around. 24 in last nights win

-Bojan Bogdanovic = B, deadly 3 point shooter

-Thad Young = B, hustle guy and tough physical PF

-Domantas Sabonis = B, a lot better than I thought he would be

-Darren Collison = B, I like him better than Teague

-Lance Stephenson = B- , brings energy off the bench

-Corey Joseph = B- , gives 100% and does what is ask of him

-Al Jefferson = Incomplete, hasn't played enough for me to grade him

-TJ Leaf = Incomplete, hasn't played enough for me to grade him

-Joe Young = Incomplete, hasn't played enough for me to grade him

-Damien Wilkins = Incomplete, hasn't played enough for me to grade him

-Glenn Robinson III = Incomplete, hasn't played at all

*I gave out Incomplete's rather than bad grades to a few players because they have either been injured or just get very little minutes. Out of our Top 8 players not one of them deserved below a B- IMO.

I disagree with a couple of the grades. What do Sabonis and Bogy have to do to get A's? Sabonis is hitting 75% ft's, 55% fg's and 45% from deep while averaging 12pts and 8.5 boards. He stepped in when Myles was hurt then seamlessly went back to his role when he returned. He has exceeded all expectations. 

Bogy has been Vic's Robin the first 1/3 of the season. He stepped in became our second leading scorer and has shown an all around game most didn't believe he had. He's shooting 86% ft's 49% fgs and 42% from 3. He's close to 90/50/40 and there aren't a lot of guys that can stroke it like that.  He's played timely D  and hit big shots. He's a big  part of our success.   

I can get with the other grades I might ding Myles until he's consistently our second best player. I think most expected more from him this season and I still think are still going to get that guy. Injuries are part of the game can't really grade on a curve for them.

I would grade the other guys. Their roles have been established barring injury they aren't getting more minutes. Joey Buckets has played pretty well when called on. It helps they haven't asked to play a lot as the 1. Al has been solid and TJ has been hit or miss. Wilkins has been as you'd expect. 

Thats my two cents. The thing that jumps out is we don't have our second best player all the way back and we still have an important rotational piece coming back. The current NBA power rankings have us sitting 7th. Houston GS SA Cavs Celtics and Raptors are the teams ahead of us. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I disagree with a couple of the grades. What do Sabonis and Bogy have to do to get A's? Sabonis is hitting 75% ft's, 55% fg's and 45% from deep while averaging 12pts and 8.5 boards. He stepped in when Myles was hurt then seamlessly went back to his role when he returned. He has exceeded all expectations. 

Bogy has been Vic's Robin the first 1/3 of the season. He stepped in became our second leading scorer and has shown an all around game most didn't believe he had. He's shooting 86% ft's 49% fgs and 42% from 3. He's close to 90/50/40 and there aren't a lot of guys that can stroke it like that.  He's played timely D  and hit big shots. He's a big  part of our success.   

I can get with the other grades I might ding Myles until he's consistently our second best player. I think most expected more from him this season and I still think are still going to get that guy. Injuries are part of the game can't really grade on a curve for them.

I would grade the other guys. Their roles have been established barring injury they aren't getting more minutes. Joey Buckets has played pretty well when called on. It helps they haven't asked to play a lot as the 1. Al has been solid and TJ has been hit or miss. Wilkins has been as you'd expect. 

Thats my two cents. The thing that jumps out is we don't have our second best player all the way back and we still have an important rotational piece coming back. The current NBA power rankings have us sitting 7th. Houston GS SA Cavs Celtics and Raptors are the teams ahead of us. 

I can respect your points, a B is still a Very Good grade. You may be right with your assessment's though. I think mine are pretty fair as well. We have definitely exceeded expectations so far. Lets hope the 2/3 is just as solid.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:11 PM, akcolt said:

Abunoby is the guy I was hoping we'd take in the draft when he was there. Mainly because he was a Hoosier but he was good value. He was projected as a lottery pick before the injury. He's looking like a steal for the Raptors 51% fg 43% from deep we knew he could defend. 

The draft was the low point of the offseason IMO. As you said Leaf needs to get stronger but he looks like he can score. I was hoping for a guy that could help now.  I don't think Sumner has a future the kid can't shoot. Hopefully Ike will develop. 

I'm not complaining most rookies don't give you much anymore. The front office more then made up for it bringing in Dipo  Sabonis Bogy CoJo and DC. 

I wouldn't write off all 3 rookies before they play a second....

Nobody 'cant shoot' at age 19....Sumner is very highly regarded..if he heals up okay

and the UCLA boys just need time..all 3 cant help this season...

Edited by oldunclemark

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

I wouldn't write off all 3 rookies before they play a second....

Nobody 'cant shoot' at age 19....Sumner is very highly regarded..if he heals up okay

and the UCLA boys just need time..all 3 cant help this season...

I'm not counting anyone out. I said I think TJ fits what we do. It's easy to see the upside Ike and a healthy Sumner have. I watched a good bit of Xavier and as athletic and explosive as Sumner can be when healthy his shot needs work. The kid is a 6'6 PG I get rolling the dice and hope it works out. Second round projects don't have a huge success rate. 

It wouldve been nice to get a rookie who could contribute. I know its greedy considering the team we put together but it would have been cool to get Anunoby. At least for me being a huge IU fan. I thought he might be the selection. There was lottery talk for him so the value seemed good and our 3 wanted out.. I know hindsight is 20/20 but he's looking good for Toronto. I assure you I'm cool with how things played out. 

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:51 AM, akcolt said:

I'm not counting anyone out. I said I think TJ fits what we do. It's easy to see the upside Ike and a healthy Sumner have. I watched a good bit of Xavier and as athletic and explosive as Sumner can be when healthy his shot needs work. The kid is a 6'6 PG I get rolling the dice and hope it works out. Second round projects don't have a huge success rate. 

It wouldve been nice to get a rookie who could contribute. I know its greedy considering the team we put together but it would have been cool to get Anunoby. At least for me being a huge IU fan. I thought he might be the selection. There was lottery talk for him so the value seemed good and our 3 wanted out.. I know hindsight is 20/20 but he's looking good for Toronto. I assure you I'm cool with how things played out. 

Please don't judge Sumner on where he was drafted/.I think you know he had a knee injury or he's in the first round...so what 2nd round picks do doesnt actually apply to him..

By the time we see him play for us.....(probably the 2018 summer league) he wont be the same player you saw.   Everybody is a roll of the dice....

Sumner is (or was until the knee injury) very, very athletic. I value that much more than his ability to shoot 3s...because you cant teach it.

We are still a young team and we have three young players (I'm including Leaf) who wont be ready until next year.  Add 2 more draft choices and we'll have a wave of young players coming in next season.

I really like that

On 12/11/2017 at 11:56 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can respect your points, a B is still a Very Good grade. You may be right with your assessment's though. I think mine are pretty fair as well. We have definitely exceeded expectations so far. Lets hope the 2/3 is just as solid.

I would agree with B's on those 2.   If you give them A's, that would be saying we have 3 A's on the team which would have us contending for a championship.   I don't think they are there yet. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2017 at 11:11 PM, akcolt said:

I think TJ Leaf is going to be fine. He's a really good shooter. I think he could be a poor mans Kevin Love 

21 hours ago, MTC said:

Cory Joseph is the best backup point guard we've had in years. Way better than the likes of DJ Augustin, CJ Watson, Donald Sloan, Ty Lawson, Aaron Brooks, etc.

Exactly. The nice thing about this Pacer team is everyone seems to know their roll. They play unselfish and none of them feel the need to be the star. They all know that Vic is the man and work off of him. Vic does his thing but always keeps the other players on his radar.

6 hours ago, Myles said:

I would agree with B's on those 2.   If you give them A's, that would be saying we have 3 A's on the team which would have us contending for a championship.   I don't think they are there yet. 

That was my thinking too. Also by giving them A's I would basically be saying those guys have played as great as Dipo has which isn't the case. So far OKC is up 31-27 in PG's return. I would love to win this one but a slow start to the 2nd.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

down 87-79....Their backups are hurting us..I wish theyd put the starters back in

Yeah it’s not looking too good.  Still plenty of time but I’m not really feeling it this game.  No one is really playing well on the Pacers.  7 to 16 fouls lol.  Just getting beat physically.