Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017-2018 Indiana Pacers and Everything NBA Thread

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Mark this isn't the NFL...most superstars are top 10 picks...rare to find some outside that. I'm not for tanking long term...but using the year as a trial to see if we could find lightening in a bottle with some young guys I'm ok. That said Boston is very competitive with majority under 25. If you have right guys all that will sort out and those young guys grow into harden Durant and Westbrook maybe

dg;

You cant say in retrospect..that the Cavs lost intentionally to get LeBron.

They didn't know LeBron was coming.

Most 1st round draft choices are average players. A few are your lightning in a bottle..

Check last year's draft

....In the NBA you sign free agents or get young guys on their 2nd or 3rd contract...

Like Hayward...Like Durant...Like Paul George

Draft 19 year olds and you are the Lakers and the Sixers

Note that when Monta and Big Al end their time with us this coming year.

..we will have significant cap space

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

dg;

Once you tank, you cant say how long it will be.

Maybe your draft choices fail..and you cant get free agents.

...or the next Durant doesn't come along the year you tanked

There's nothing wrong with getting lottery pick if you didn't lose 60 games intentionally to get it.

If you did, like the 76ers.

Its a disgrace....For us to do it?  No tanks!

Of course. 2018 is one of the strongest in decades. You can go young and lose for a year....save cap space and then sign guys in 2019 if you want to be a mediocre team. There is doing what 76ers did and that is jettison any decent player for years...sign guys and stash over seas...sign guys that can't play because of injuries and be like 70 million below the cap. I'm just saying dont waste cap on mediocre guys to get a 8 seed. I'm patient I don't mind going young for a year and then putting that cap space to use on a star and taking a step back to take two forward. Having a plan is one thing...I'm not saying get rid of everyone and trying to lose every game. Just choose a path that we have a better chance to draft a PG or another Myles instead being in a spot for next 5 years to sign the next TJ Leaf and Tyler Hansboroughs

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

dg;

Most 1st round draft choices are average players. A few are your lightning in a bottle..

Check last year's draft

....In the NBA you sign free agents or get young guys on their 2nd or 3rd contract...

Yet we won't be a destination for elite talent in FA so that cap sure is a big help 

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Of course. 2018 is one of the strongest in decades. You can go young and lose for a year....save cap space and then sign guys in 2019 if you want to be a mediocre team. There is doing what 76ers did and that is jettison any decent player for years...sign guys and stash over seas...sign guys that can't play because of injuries and be like 70 million below the cap. I'm just saying dont waste cap on mediocre guys to get a 8 seed. I'm patient I don't mind going young for a year and then putting that cap space to use on a star and taking a step back to take two forward. Having a plan is one thing...I'm not saying get rid of everyone and trying to lose every game. Just choose a path that we have a better chance to draft a PG or another Myles instead being in a spot for next 5 years to sign the next TJ Leaf and Tyler Hansboroughs

Where was Paul George drafted...

Kawhi Leonard...Jimmy Butler.

You need to acquire players..You don't have to draft them in the top 10.

You may not be saying lose every game but some here are...obviously

4 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Folks Love picks until you put a name on them and they play a year.

Victor Oladipo was a lottery pick.

Everyone here liked him...until we acquired him

VO was drafted way to high the night he was drafted quit trying to twist this to help you we want the next game changers VO was not one on draft night no matter how stupid the magic were to take him 2nd overall

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

Yet we won't be a destination for elite talent in FA so that cap sure is a big help 

Then..in your world CF.....,,,what should we did...

WE should lose 82 games to get top players who wont stay anyway because we're not a 'destinaton'

...The problem with the 76ers is 'They eventually will have to pay these 'process' players max deals or they will go to a 'destination'  .

Then what?

Its better to try to make the postseason every year and get your shot in the conference

Just now, oldunclemark said:

Then..in your world CF.....,,,what should we did...

WE should lose 82 games to get top players who wont stay anyway because we're not a 'destinaton'

...The problem with the 76ers is 'They eventually will have to pay these 'process' players max deals or they will go to a 'destination'  .

Then what?

Its better to try to make the postseason every year and get your shot in the conference

They would want to stay if our stupid FO would learn to keep building instead of going all in every year we get past the 2nd round of the playoffs 

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

VO was drafted way to high the night he was drafted quit trying to twist this tobjelp you we want the next game changers VO was not one on draft night no matter how stupid the magic were to take him 2nd overall

But he was a lottery pick..You cant change history...in hindsight 

DeAngelo Russell was the No.2 pick in the draft

8 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

dg;

Check last year's draft

Yes because PG was never a 19 year old. Melo, Durant, Westbrook, love, Heyward etc. everyone gets drafted...most elite in lottery...it's a fact Mark.

fyi stupid bird has us still on the Hook for al and Monta for two more years at 10 million and 11 plus million year a piece....remember CURRY made only 11 million last year too. Sorry we will have to ship sweeteners with them to get a team to take them....we have 20 plus million wasted for a couple years. Just hope we don't waste the 30 million we have free now on crap deals trying to "not tank" and get an 8th seed.

• Like 1

But he was a lottery pick..You cant change history...in hindsight 

DeAngelo Russell was the No.2 pick in the draft

I'm not using hindsight I said the night he was drafted it was stupid of the magic to reach for him 

9 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Folks Love picks until you put a name on them and they play a year.

Victor Oladipo was a lottery pick.

Everyone here liked him...until we acquired him

Rather have another player like him than a guy like Young who we traded for to compete last year or end up in the back of the draft for a guy like Leaf.

• Like 1

But what would you do..You NEVER say

Keep our picks for one instead of trading them away for players to go all in we always are full of over aged vets that cost to much it's a problem and if we are struggling one year and youbknoe you won't make the playoffs don't fight for a better record just move on to the draft and take the better draft choice it's ignorant to screw your draft pick for meaningless games 

Yes because PG was never a 19 year old. Melo, Durant, Westbrook, love, Heyward etc. everyone gets drafted...most elite in lottery...it's a fact Mark.

fyi stupid bird has us still on the Hook for al and Monta for two more years at 10 million and 11 plus million year a piece....remember CURRY made only 11 million last year too. Sorry we will have to ship sweeteners with them to get a team to take them....we have 20 plus million wasted for a couple years. Just hope we don't waste the 30 million we have free now on crap deals trying to "not tank" and get an 8th seed.

But lottery picks are mostly not stars. That's also a fact. Durant didn't win in OKC

I say again. Get guys on their 2nd or third contract. Like we did Friday night.

Oladipo is good. Its not hop. And he could be better now not playing with the MVP

Sabonis is perfect. He served his apprenticeship with OKC. Now, he's ready to roll.

All players get drafted but they all don't get drafted at age 19..which is the lottery

I want the 8th seed.....20-62....'No tanks'

Rather have another player like him than a guy like Young who we traded for to compete last year or end up in the back of the draft for a guy like Leaf.

Assuming you mean Thad Young.....I agree.

WE got him when we had Paul George.......I;m sure hell go to a contender.

..and lets see Leaf play before we talk him down...'a guy like Leaf? 

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Keep our picks for one instead of trading them away for players to go all in we always are full of over aged vets that cost to much it's a problem and if we are struggling one year and youbknoe you won't make the playoffs don't fight for a better record just move on to the draft and take the better draft choice it's ignorant to screw your draft pick for meaningless games 

So in your world..on your team.....you don't try to make the post-season...???????

You tell the fans....We are the 'CF Flyers'!!'

WE don't ever want to play those meaningless playoff games!!!

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

I do agree with this part.

Last time the Pacers did that for a five year stretch we get Danny Granger, Roy Hibbert, and Paul George. Then we start to trade them away and PG and Myles Turner were the only first round picks on the roster this past season.

I don't think that they need to be drafting in the top 5, though. That seems to be a popular belief among fans. Sure, if you get lucky and that particular draft has a Tim Duncan or Lebron James then it completely changes your franchise but a lot of drafts have a Michael Olowokandi or Anthony Bennett. The Warriors built their championship team picking in the 5-10 range for a few years. 

But lottery picks are mostly not stars. That's also a fact. Durant didn't win in OKC

I say again. Get guys on their 2nd or third contract. Like we did Friday night.

Oladipo is good. Its not hop. And he could be better now not playing with the MVP

Sabonis is perfect. He served his apprenticeship with OKC. Now, he's ready to roll.

All players get drafted but they all don't get drafted at age 19..which is the lottery

I want the 8th seed.....20-62....'No tanks'

Fine...you want expensive avg guys on their second contracts. I'd like to get them young....mold them and have their Bird rights. Id take young draft picks than al Jefferson, Monta Ellis, and Stuckey any day of the week. To each their own.

http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

read this article...fact is your best chance for stars is to tank. I like my chance if I am a good evaluator to find a star then some bad GMs. If I'm Pritchard I have faith in my team to recognize talent and not draft Darko over Melo.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'm not using hindsight I said the night he was drafted it was stupid of the magic to reach for him 

Ben McLemore was a lottery pick.  Most lottery picks are average

Otto Porter was a lottery pick

..and what you say on a message board is irrelevant/ You know that, right?

Just now, Luck is Good said:

I hope the Pacers lose most of their games next year. They need a top 5 pick

..and when that Top 5 pick gets them to .500 and they have to sign him ..

....what...we trade him for more picks and lose again because we're the 8th seed???

4 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

I hope the Pacers lose most of their games next year. They need a top 5 pick

I agree and I think we will. The trade we just made was terrible and I am a very positive person in general. If we go into the season with the Roster we have now, we will be a lottery team.

• Like 1

..and when that Top 5 pick gets them to .500 and they have to sign him ..

....what...we trade him for more picks and lose again because we're the 8th seed???

You just don't understand so it's irrelevant to try to talk to you

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Fine...you want expensive avg guys on their second contracts. I'd like to get them young....mold them and have their Bird rights. Id take young draft picks than al Jefferson, Monta Ellis, and Stuckey any day of the week. To each their own.

http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

read this article...fact is your best chance for stars is to tank. I like my chance if I am a good evaluator to find a star then some bad GMs. If I'm Pritchard I have faith in my team to recognize talent and not draft Darko over Melo.

I'm saying you don't tank and draft well..but you build your team with the guys on 2nd or 3rd deals..

This does not accept that the game (and the draft) has changed.

Question: Last season....which No.1 draft choice made an impact. Answer: None.

What if you'd have tanked to get into the lottery and you end up with nothing.

You'd tank again, right?  That road goes nowhere

You cant run a professional franchise that way.

You have a fan base. You have a responsibility to try to make the post-season.

You owe it to the fans

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree and I think we will. The trade we just made was terrible and I am very positive person in general. If we go into the season with the Roster we have now, we will be a lottery team.

I hope you're right but I've got a feeling they'll either be the 8 seed or barely miss the postseason. Either one of those scenarios would be catastrophic. Purgatory is what those scenarios would be

1 minute ago, Luck is Good said:

I try to stay away from the "we". I used to say that but it's not really "we" because I'm not on the team

I NEVER stay away from 'we'.

The Pacers and Colts are my teams....

I'm not trying to pretend they're not....I'm not going to root for another team if they lose..

..I'm not going to hope they lose...

I'm with them.

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Fans who want the home team to lose will still complain and whine every day when it happens

Not really. I wanted IU basketball to lose as much as possible the last few years. And it got them a new coach. A coach that will actually succeed

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

lmao I actually don't but you guys are making me laugh so don't ignore, please. As long as you guys keep it clean the Mods will leave you alone as well. Colt_12 and Mark are real entertaining.

we're here all week...2 shows on Saturday!!

• Like 1