Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Teams that may rise up/improve this season...

Jules

Thinking someone new might come along and possibly surprise/make the playoffs? 

I got my eye on the Eagles, Saints, Bucs for the NFC. And in the AFC South I would not be shocked if the Colts again or even the Jags or Titans over took the Texans for the division crown. 

I don't follow the draft or free agency as closely as many do here, so I was interested in some opinions as to who looks to be shaping up well for 2017 and making strides forward.

I agree with ya on the Bucs and maybe the Saints with what they've done.  Not as sold on the Eagles.  I think it's either Giants or Cowboys in that division.  I think this COULD be a year the AFC South gets two teams in.  I could see 2 from the West and 2 from the South. 

I might be able to see the Bucs put it together.  I do think the Panthers bounce back in that division.  I still see the Saints having a bad defense though, and I think the Eagles are also a few years away of the playoffs.  I think the every other team in their division has a better shot IMO.  In the AFC South there will be 3 teams that will be in competition like last year IMO.  The Jags though I still see as a 5 or 6 win team at best.  They have another year or so with Coughlin before they become a real team.  I hope we surprise everyone and end up 12-4 with a bye.  But I am also bias.

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

My surprise is the Chargers, I expect them to get to .500 even though they play the NFC East and AFC East. They will get a few surprise victories with a home stretch surprise year from Philip Rivers.

Interesting.......I have not been thinking of them at all. I can't say I share your optimism for San Diego but personally I would love it since I still respect Rivers and don't like to see him fade away so bad.

But, it's tough in that division. VERY tough. 

8 hours ago, bababooey said:

I'll wait until the Jags aren't picking top 5 to declare them the winner of anything. Titans need to win a game against us first too.

I agree with this, I think TN has the makings to be good but they have to beat the Colts as well and do better within the division. 

I am actually picking the Colts to win the South again this year as of right now in May. Last year I did pick Houston to win the South but it's tough since their QB situation is so damn dreadful despite that defense. Not feeling the Texans right now.

If we don't win the division I would rather it be the Titans over Texans/Jags.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:08 AM, IndyScribe said:

Jags and Titans will improve. If Watson is good, Houston will take the division. I think the Bucs will improve as well. 

Jacksonville will improve. they have to..with the talent they have..

Houston takes a dip.......QB issues and the losses on defense.

Titans are abut a .500 team

Most improved teams are the Jaguars and the Colts

Colts only need to improve 3 games to win the divison..I think they will

The Eagles have been slowly working on that defense for the past several years, beginning when they fired Reid. They were a weird team last year; as there was a number of games they could have easily won and been a playoff contender, and then they had some very dominant games like when they shut the Falcons offense down to just 7 points for the day, and they held the Steelers to just 3 points. 

The NFC East could be a tough division next year. If Dallas hits on their defensive picks in this draft, they shouldn't regress too much. Dak Prescott is the real deal, but I expect him to struggle a bit in his second year, since most of the gunslinger QB's go through a rough patch. The Redskins are trying to improve their defense too, and their offense actually finished in the top 3 last year. The only team in that division I don't trust is the Giants, who decided to keep the locker room cancer called Odell Beckman Jr and that defense has been picked apart a little bit in free agency. The Giants looked like overachievers last year with how poorly their offense played vs GB in a game they probably could've won had Odell and the other receivers not went and got trashed in Miami that week. 

On 17.5.2017 at 11:21 PM, chad72 said:

My surprise is the Chargers, I expect them to get to .500 even though they play the NFC East and AFC East. They will get a few surprise victories with a home stretch surprise year from Philip Rivers.

That would be my pick too. I don't think any other team has underachieved as much in the past few years. They have questionmarks at LB, S, OL and HC, along with Rivers late game meltdowns but if Lynn proves out to be at least average coach, I think they are fairly serious threat. That's one stacked division they play in though and rough schedule.