Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Without Peyton, We Will Need A Lot Of "luck" -Not Just The Player

Portage Coltfans

I'm not seeing a scenerio where we don't turn out to be the next Detriot Lions, I'm not talking this year's lions but the team that drafted 3 WR's with top picks in a row. Or we could be the Rams. *sidenote: without megatron, that lions team is way overrated*

Without Peyton and this new change to a 3-4. Then no way will Wayne come back. Freeney is a non-factor in the rush from a 3-4 DE position. Our linebackers and secondary are well....you know they need more than just help.

We can only improve from the draft, no FA is going to want to play here with Luck. Lets see, go play with the Bears and Cutler. The Vikings/Cardinals and Manning? or come to rebuilding Indy and a rookie QB. So any scenerio of signing top FA is just not going to happen. Plus, signing top FA isn't the way to go anyways, unless your Superbowl ready. The only way we sign "top" FA this year is if Manning is coming back.

I do think we could be good again in 4-5 years. But that is still just a maybe. And when I say good, I mean like the past 10 years good. When we are not just happy with making it too the playoffs, but want championship games.

I'll keep Peyton, even with a weak triceps, and try to win superbowls now. Even if we do trade away luck for Picks, and manning doesn't work out well. then we are still left with a way more quality team overall. Andrew Luck will not be the last good QB to come out in the next 4 years.

I'm with you, most of this forum fan base isn't, some want both. I just hope irsay hears all trade offers..

I don't believe most do in real life though, I think the Luck Lovers/Peyton quitters are just loudest about their position on here. Go to your work, the store, church, or whereever and I bet 90-95% want Manning back.

Healthy Peyton is worth keeping....an injured / weak armed Peyton who won't be the guy we've watched for so long probably isnt worth keeping for 3 more seasons given the bonus / contract he would get.

Irsay needs to look at what is best for the team....not only in 2012, but the next 3 - 5 years and make his decisions with that in mind.

If Luck, Griffith or Dan O (assuming that Peyton is kept -- a top QB is not drafted and then Manning can't go all season) is starting that likely means this team ends up with another very good pick next season.

2012 likely will be a rough year....but if it is and the drafting is done well, they would be building a nice foundation for 2013 and beyond.

I'm not seeing a scenerio where we don't turn out to be the next Detriot Lions, I'm not talking this year's lions but the team that drafted 3 WR's with top picks in a row. Or we could be the Rams. *sidenote: without megatron, that lions team is way overrated*

Without Peyton and this new change to a 3-4. Then no way will Wayne come back. Freeney is a non-factor in the rush from a 3-4 DE position. Our linebackers and secondary are well....you know they need more than just help.

We can only improve from the draft, no FA is going to want to play here with Luck. Lets see, go play with the Bears and Cutler. The Vikings/Cardinals and Manning? or come to rebuilding Indy and a rookie QB. So any scenerio of signing top FA is just not going to happen. Plus, signing top FA isn't the way to go anyways, unless your Superbowl ready. The only way we sign "top" FA this year is if Manning is coming back.

I do think we could be good again in 4-5 years. But that is still just a maybe. And when I say good, I mean like the past 10 years good. When we are not just happy with making it too the playoffs, but want championship games.

I'll keep Peyton, even with a weak triceps, and try to win superbowls now. Even if we do trade away luck for Picks, and manning doesn't work out well. then we are still left with a way more quality team overall. Andrew Luck will not be the last good QB to come out in the next 4 years.

First, that Lions team has good core of young talent. They are going to get better as time goes along. Its kind of funny how quickly they turned things around after they dumped Millen. He was fired in 2008 and its been three seasons since and they are in the playoffs. Most of the guys Millen drafted are long gone and they managed to go from 0-16 to playoffs fairly quickly imo.

I dont buy it at all that free agents would have no interest in playing in Indy or playing with Luck.

But you are right about the defense, however that is the same as it would be if we keep the current system. Mathis and Angerer were good this season, the rest were not that great. That isnt goign to change.

If we keep Manning or not there needs to be talent added all over the field. Its just much more difficult to do it when you have that much invested in the QB position. I know its the fan mentality to always believe, but I just look at this roster and from top to bottom we are not as good as the best teams in the league even with Manning.

A fully healthy Texans team has a much better and deeper roster than a fully healthy Colts team.

I think Luck will be great, and the team will have continued success and deep runs in the playoffs. I have the same evidence to support this as you do!

Just remember Curtis Painter wouldn't win a game in any system.

Aaron Rodgers has had a few good seasons, as have Carson Palmer and Jake Plummer.

Now do you want to talk about the rest of the Pac-10 1st round quarterbacks in the last 15 years?

Aaron Rodgers has had a few good seasons, as have Carson Palmer and Jake Plummer.

Now do you want to talk about the rest of the Pac-10 1st round quarterbacks in the last 15 years?

Wouldn't it make more sense to look at Andrew Luck and see how HE fits?

I'm sure there are SEC qbs that have flamed out, that doesn't mean Manning's going to suddenly suck.

How many of those Pac-10(12) busts were coached by an ex-NFL QB, and are the sons of an ex-NFL QB? Or came out of Oregon or Washington State spread offenses, something not remotely run in the NFL? I get your point, but conferences don't make players, talent, work, ability to learn, pro coaching and system fit are all more relevant than where a kid played when he was 19. So every SEC player should be an All-Pro? No Morehead State QB can ever win a Super Bowl (Simms)? I watch a lot of Pac 12 football, and I agree it is not what it was a generation ago. But neither is the ACC, Big East, Big 10, etc. Spread offenses and pistol-esq formaitons are killing QB development for the NFL. And that's happening in every conference.

I don't believe most do in real life though, I think the Luck Lovers/Peyton quitters are just loudest about their position on here. Go to your work, the store, church, or whereever and I bet 90-95% want Manning back.

Everyone wants him back. Some of us dont want the Colts future to be ruined though IF* Peyton cant comeback and be effective.

The idea of just giving him the bonus and locking into his contract, even if he cant throw well, just out of loyalty is borderline insanity IMO.

My god you are completely right! Luck will be a total bust!! Why didn't the Colts take someone from the SEC?? Loads of great quarterbacks going against great defenses. Just like Jamarcus Russell!! Oh wait....

But you're right still, Pac 10 quarterbacks are god awful. Thank god John Elway went to the Broncos instead of the Colts. . .

For those wondering, let me show you all the Pac 10 QBs taken 1st overall in the SB Era:

Carson Palmer

Drew Bledsoe

John Elway

Steve Bartkowski

Jim Plunkett

3 of them have won Super Bowl(s)

All of them except Jim Plunkett have made the Pro Bowl (ironically he won 2 SBs)

9 SB appearances among them all with 5 wins.

Trade the pick, make the team better so we never ever this relient on a QB again. Would be my ideal situation. Regardless of our team next year if we have a healthy peyton he can get us there.

To be successful, you have to rely on a QB. We see what happens to teams that have strong defenses and running game but have average to above average QBs.

If you want to be a champion you need a complete team.

Plenty of high quality FA's have moved to bad teams over the years. With many it's simply about the $. It's not like basketball where players go where ever they want any time, to play with their buddies. I think via the draft, FA & hard work this team could be up and running (playoff style) in 2-3 years with a much better overall team than we have ever seen, but we all have opinions. Not trying to be over optimistic, or under optimistic. I don't think we will be that great next year but also don't think it will take 4-5 years of terrible play. We still have solid players on the offense. If we draft Luck (assuming Manning is gone) we still could possibly be a top tier receiver in the 2nd (Jeffery or Sanu), heck maybe even draft a TE. I can't see Irsay letting this team suffer for 4-5 years, it wouldn't look good for all this talk about "rebuilding and doing whatever he can to eventually be a super bowl caliber team".

How do you know this?

What if the Colts offer more money? You don't think that will be an overriding factor to a FA decision? If you think otherwise, you are not in tune with the modern day athlete.

The Colts were better than any team ever in the last decade. I think it stands to reason they won't be as good but that in no way means they will automatically be the Lions for the next 5 years.

What if Luck is exactly what most claim him to be and the Colts passed on him?

Without Peyton, Contraction may not be a bad idea. Maybe thats what the NFL should do with the Colts if/when Manning leaves or retires. I mean whats the use in going on?

Lol

Here's my fairytale scenario. I want Manning to finish his career as a Colt and Andrew Luck to take over after that, likely in 3-4 years, in my opinion.

However, the rub with that scenario is that while Peyton is healthy enough to play, he is still not strong enough to play. He could get stronger, or he could hit a plateau. He might not be strong enough by March 8, but possibly by the time of training camp. Thats still too big of a risk factor for 28 million dollars. Irsay has said the money does not matter, but he's not going to pay it unless he feels he can get a positive return on it.

So, here is my "acceptable" scenario.

1. Peyton and Irsay talk this week and work out a plan where Peyton is released, thus voiding the current contract. He is then resigned to a 2 yr contract with little guaranteed money, highly incentive based. The understanding is that assuming we draft Luck, he will be taking over in 2 years. After that 2 years Luck takes over under center (assuming he isnt a bust), and Peyton is offered to resign with the team as a backup and/or assistant coaching position.

**** I hope Peyton is willing to do this with us, and that Luck is willing to wait.

Here's my fairytale scenario. I want Manning to finish his career as a Colt and Andrew Luck to take over after that, likely in 3-4 years, in my opinion.

However, the rub with that scenario is that while Peyton is healthy enough to play, he is still not strong enough to play. He could get stronger, or he could hit a plateau. He might not be strong enough by March 8, but possibly by the time of training camp. Thats still too big of a risk factor for 28 million dollars. Irsay has said the money does not matter, but he's not going to pay it unless he feels he can get a positive return on it.

1. Peyton and Irsay talk this week and work out a plan where Peyton is released, thus voiding the current contract. He is then resigned to a 2 yr contract with little guaranteed money, highly incentive based. The understanding is that assuming we draft Luck, he will be taking over in 2 years. After that 2 years Luck takes over under center (assuming he isnt a bust), and Peyton is offered to resign with the team as a backup and/or assistant coaching position.

**** I hope Peyton is willing to do this with us, and that Luck is willing to wait.

Sounds good to me.

For those wondering, let me show you all the Pac 10 QBs taken 1st overall in the SB Era:

Carson Palmer

Drew Bledsoe

John Elway

Steve Bartkowski

Jim Plunkett

3 of them have won Super Bowl(s)

All of them except Jim Plunkett have made the Pro Bowl (ironically he won 2 SBs)

9 SB appearances among them all with 5 wins.

And 2 out of 5 of them were Stanford QBs.

First, that Lions team has good core of young talent. They are going to get better as time goes along. Its kind of funny how quickly they turned things around after they dumped Millen. He was fired in 2008 and its been three seasons since and they are in the playoffs. Most of the guys Millen drafted are long gone and they managed to go from 0-16 to playoffs fairly quickly imo.

I dont buy it at all that free agents would have no interest in playing in Indy or playing with Luck.

But you are right about the defense, however that is the same as it would be if we keep the current system. Mathis and Angerer were good this season, the rest were not that great. That isnt goign to change.

If we keep Manning or not there needs to be talent added all over the field. Its just much more difficult to do it when you have that much invested in the QB position. I know its the fan mentality to always believe, but I just look at this roster and from top to bottom we are not as good as the best teams in the league even with Manning.

A fully healthy Texans team has a much better and deeper roster than a fully healthy Colts team.

we would have 3 extra high picks plus, I do believe FA would come here to play with a healthy manning

This only ends well if the Colts when a superbowl in the next 4 years. Either way, with Manning or Luck.

yes, with Luck, because I have really high expectations that the "best QB prospect in the past 20 years" should be good enough to win right away. It's funny how you luck lovers/Peyton quitters will be simpathetic to giving him all the time he needs. but you can't wait 3 months for Peyton's tricep.

Paraphrasing Steve Young "28 million is nothing in today's NFL.

This only ends well if the Colts when a superbowl in the next 4 years. Either way, with Manning or Luck.

yes, with Luck, because I have really high expectations that the "best QB prospect in the past 20 years" should be good enough to win right away. It's funny how you luck lovers/Peyton quitters will be simpathetic to giving him all the time he needs. but you can't wait 3 months for Peyton's tricep.

Again with the "luck lovers/Peyton quitters" crap? You know, I can misrepresent your opinions to make it easier to argue against if I want to as well. That's called making a strawman argument and it's a logicall fallacy.

Why not stick to discussing the situation and refrain from trying to put words in people's mouths?

money

Ok. You do realize there isn't an inexaustable supply of that right? You are aware there is a salary cap in place and that if we're going to give Manning 28 million, that eats up a large chunk of that cap which limits our ability to sign these high priced free agents you're talking about.

no luck wont be the last good QB to come out in the next 4 years, your right about that. but he will be the last QB who is and was compared to alot like manning through out his college career for prob another 10 years. so from this year to the next ten years were risking on drafting another jim sorgi or curtis painter because you rather keep a guy who is turning 36, has had 3 neck surgeries and still does not have strength in his throwing arm? dude im really glad your not the owner of a football team because you will be like the dodgers owner filing for bankruptcy in about 2 or 3 years when majority of your fan base turns their backs on you for making such a dumb move.

Release manning and try to resign him to a 2 yr contract but not for so much money but with incentives ( if hes healthy by start of preseason 5 million dollars, if on opening day roster and starting another 5 million, 4,000 yards 5 million and so forth) if he dont take it oh well that means you have enough money to play with and with drafting luck, they can still sign someone like Mario Williams who is accustomed to a 3-4 defense. and to be honest i think with the speed freeney and mathis have and the athleticism they got, they could play OLB in a 3-4 defense and could be more of a threat standing up then they are down on the line.

as i stated in the last paragraph, they can sign Mario williams to play OLB or even move him to MLB with Angerer. or could even sign Tracy Porter and Laron Landry for the CB and SS position. thats sayin if they resign wayne, and garcon. if they dont resign one of them they can sign one of Porter,landry or williams and turn around and sign someone like Dwayne Bowe or Desean Jackson at WR.

Andrew Luck has been working around peyton manning for years in mannings QB Camp, as a student and instructor im pretty sure manning taught Luck a thing or two about how to play in the NFL and prob has talked about how the colts run things. Im not saying I dont want manning back, i appreciate what the guy has done for the colts and for us fans but we got to face reality. the guy is coming off 3 neck surgeries, nerves that have not regenerated and no guarentee date on when he will be healthy, for all we know he could be out all 2012. so im with Irsay if he decides to let manning go. its not worth risking a future franchise QB over, and Luck and RG3 will both be really good in the NFL. at first i wasnt sold on RG3 but im starting to warm up to the idea he could be taken by the colts, although right now luck is the guy. and btw i have asked people at work if they would rather take a risk with manning or just let him go and draft luck and 90% of em said draft Luck. so no not all fans think like you do and would agree with you

Again with the "luck lovers/Peyton quitters" crap? You know, I can misrepresent your opinions to make it easier to argue against if I want to as well. That's called making a strawman argument and it's a logicall fallacy.

Why not stick to discussing the situation and refrain from trying to put words in people's mouths?

Do you love luck?

Do you think it's time to let peyton go only based upon the fact that his tricep is not ready now in Feb?

moving on, I said that "People who want Luck will be simpathetic to giving him all the time he needs. but you can't wait 3 months for Peyton's tricep." Take Luck out of the picture then, if there was no luck, you wouldn't be so quick to give Peyton the boot.

what are your feelings on this?

Ok. You do realize there isn't an inexaustable supply of that right? You are aware there is a salary cap in place and that if we're going to give Manning 28 million, that eats up a large chunk of that cap which limits our ability to sign these high priced free agents you're talking about.

I didn't mention any names specifically. there are value guys and positions that are cheap to get a FA at and then you draft at the pricer ones.

Ideally that would be perfect, but it will never ever happen. Manning is not going to do that, no way, no how.

we would have 3 extra high picks plus, I do believe FA would come here to play with a healthy manning

im sure they would, question is would we have the money to pay them.

A free agent would come here with either QB if the situation is right for them. By situaion I mean money.

We dont have 3 months, that three months could cost the Colts about 40 million in cap hits if Peyton just cant make it work physically.

Btw Steve Young can say that because its not his 28 million on the line.

no luck wont be the last good QB to come out in the next 4 years, your right about that. but he will be the last QB who is and was compared to alot like manning through out his college career for prob another 10 years. so from this year to the next ten years were risking on drafting another jim sorgi or curtis painter because you rather keep a guy who is turning 36, has had 3 neck surgeries and still does not have strength in his throwing arm? dude im really glad your not the owner of a football team because you will be like the dodgers owner filing for bankruptcy in about 2 or 3 years when majority of your fan base turns their backs on you for making such a dumb move.

Release manning and try to resign him to a 2 yr contract but not for so much money but with incentives ( if hes healthy by start of preseason 5 million dollars, if on opening day roster and starting another 5 million, 4,000 yards 5 million and so forth) if he dont take it oh well that means you have enough money to play with and with drafting luck, they can still sign someone like Mario Williams who is accustomed to a 3-4 defense. and to be honest i think with the speed freeney and mathis have and the athleticism they got, they could play OLB in a 3-4 defense and could be more of a threat standing up then they are down on the line.

as i stated in the last paragraph, they can sign Mario williams to play OLB or even move him to MLB with Angerer. or could even sign Tracy Porter and Laron Landry for the CB and SS position. thats sayin if they resign wayne, and garcon. if they dont resign one of them they can sign one of Porter,landry or williams and turn around and sign someone like Dwayne Bowe or Desean Jackson at WR.

Andrew Luck has been working around peyton manning for years in mannings QB Camp, as a student and instructor im pretty sure manning taught Luck a thing or two about how to play in the NFL and prob has talked about how the colts run things. Im not saying I dont want manning back, i appreciate what the guy has done for the colts and for us fans but we got to face reality. the guy is coming off 3 neck surgeries, nerves that have not regenerated and no guarentee date on when he will be healthy, for all we know he could be out all 2012. so im with Irsay if he decides to let manning go. its not worth risking a future franchise QB over, and Luck and RG3 will both be really good in the NFL. at first i wasnt sold on RG3 but im starting to warm up to the idea he could be taken by the colts, although right now luck is the guy. and btw i have asked people at work if they would rather take a risk with manning or just let him go and draft luck and 90% of em said draft Luck. so no not all fans think like you do and would agree with you

your glad i'm not the owner? your post could only happen in one football world. Madden 2012

mario williams..lol Can we make bets on here without getting kicked off? I'll be you my 2006 team signed and authenticated superbowl helmet they wont' sign mario willams.

Do you love luck?

Do you think it's time to let peyton go only based upon the fact that his tricep is not ready now in Feb?

moving on, I said that "People who want Luck will be simpathetic to giving him all the time he needs. but you can't wait 3 months for Peyton's tricep." Take Luck out of the picture then, if there was no luck, you wouldn't be so quick to give Peyton the boot.

what are your feelings on this?

My feelings on Luck are that he is a very highly rated NFL prospect. No more, no less.

I don't know if it's time to release Peyton because I don't have access to his medical information. I know very little actual information about the situation. I hear a lot of speculation and wishful thinking, but very few facts.

I think release Manning is a possibility. Maybe even a probability. I know that keeping an unhealthy Manning would be devestating to our salary cap. I also know if he's healthy and able to play like the Peyton Manning we all know, I'd want him under center

I also believe you're being completely irrational if you expect Luck to come in and immediately start winning championships. How many years went by before Peyton even won a playoff game? If you think he's the best ever what sense does it make to hold a lesser QB to a higher standard?

My feelings on Luck are that he is a very highly rated NFL prospect. No more, no less.

I don't know if it's time to release Peyton because I don't have access to his medical information. I know very little actual information about the situation. I hear a lot of speculation and wishful thinking, but very few facts.

I think release Manning is a possibility. Maybe even a probability. I know that keeping an unhealthy Manning would be devestating to our salary cap. I also know if he's healthy and able to play like the Peyton Manning we all know, I'd want him under center

I also believe you're being completely irrational if you expect Luck to come in and immediately start winning championships. How many years went by before Peyton even won a playoff game? If you think he's the best ever what sense does it make to hold a lesser QB to a higher standard?

I said 4 years for a superbowl. thats a long enough time. In fact, we'll be talking about new coaches if it doesnt happen by 4 years. If it goes past 4 years, then we will be the rams/lions. I'm not sure how you could argue against that.

I said 4 years for a superbowl. thats a long enough time. In fact, we'll be talking about new coaches if it doesnt happen by 4 years. If it goes past 4 years, then we will be the rams/lions. I'm not sure how you could argue against that.

It took Manning 6 years to win a single playoff game. We didn't win a championship until his 9th year.

If we held Manning to the same stardards you intend to hold Luck to, he'd have been long gone before he even won a playoff game.

So I'll ask you again, why would you hold Andrew Luck to a higher standard than Peyton Manning?