Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Malik Hooker: The Film Room

The Peytonator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glWAP7vbeH8

I don't know if this has been posted but it's worth a watch. This guy has a pretty cool channel with a lot of informative film breakdowns. I am so stoked Malik fell to us, and he will go a long way towards having an actual defense in Indianapolis. In the last couple years, it seems the league has been bereft of talent at the deep safety position. There's tons of good box and Cover 2 safeties, but the deep safety has been lagging behind. Before he even plays a snap, I'd say Hooker already puts us in the top five at that spot. I really don't care about his poor angles to the ball carrier. He'll get better at that, and if our front seven can't stop the run, we've got bigger problems anyway. 

13 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glWAP7vbeH8

I don't know if this has been posted but it's worth a watch. This guy has a pretty cool channel with a lot of informative film breakdowns. I am so stoked Malik fell to us, and he will go a long way towards having an actual defense in Indianapolis. In the last couple years, it seems the league has been bereft of talent at the deep safety position. There's tons of good box and Cover 2 safeties, but the deep safety has been lagging behind. Before he even plays a snap, I'd say Hooker already puts us in the top five at that spot. I really don't care about his poor angles to the ball carrier. He'll get better at that, and if our front seven can't stop the run, we've got bigger problems anyway. 

I agree but I dont remember the last time our front seven stopped the run lol

27 minutes ago, Stephen said:

That will be very different this year as well. Hankins will hugely contribute to that along with Anderson and Langford on the D-line. OLB's are solid and ILB is now IMO the weakest spot on defense (on paper)

4 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

That will be very different this year as well. Hankins will hugely contribute to that along with Anderson and Langford on the D-line. OLB's are solid and ILB is now IMO the weakest spot on defense (on paper)

I agree with ilb looking like the weakest position on paper but have huge expectations out of walker and spence if they stay healthy

8 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I agree with ilb looking like the weakest position on paper but have huge expectations out of walker and spence if they stay healthy

Do you think Walker can take a starting role over either Jackson or Morrison?  I think their familiarity with the system might give them the thumbs up week 1

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

They did for 4 weeks in 2006 :)

10 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

My proudest moments the Dungy Defense at its best after a reg season worst record it still amazes me when I recall how that D stepped up & got it done .:colts:

All thanks to Rob Morris. :)

1 hour ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Do you think Walker can take a starting role over either Jackson or Morrison?  I think their familiarity with the system might give them the thumbs up week 1

I think walker will start by seasons end. He is said to be very football smart and I believe his dad is a coach. He has great football instincts and can cover better than morrison and jackson

3 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

My proudest moments the Dungy Defense at its best after a reg season worst record it still amazes me when I recall how that D stepped up & got it done .:colts:

At its best, it was awesome. At its worst, ehh... well... Drew Brees was probably laughing at how easy it was to dissect.

9 hours ago, Stephen said:

I think walker will start by seasons end. He is said to be very football smart and I believe his dad is a coach. He has great football instincts and can cover better than morrison and jackson

I see Spence holding down a spot over Walker.  They both play the same spot as an ILB.  They are the rangy sideline-to-sideline guys who can cover.  Walker IMO will not take over the Mike spot because that is not his fit.  We need a Bostic/Morrison type player.  As Supe would say you can have a player that is good in a phone booth right here if the other can cover.  One day we might have two solid athletic guys but for not we have players who are definitely serviceable. Hankins alone should be a factor for us.

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

I see Spence holding down a spot over Walker.  They both play the same spot as an ILB.  They are the rangy sideline-to-sideline guys who can cover.  Walker IMO will not take over the Mike spot because that is not his fit.  We need a Bostic/Morrison type player.  As Supe would say you can have a player that is good in a phone booth right here if the other can cover.  One day we might have two solid athletic guys but for not we have players who are definitely serviceable. Hankins alone should be a factor for us.

i see spence and walker on the field at the same time at some point. Walker could def do the mike. And it be a good idea to have those two on the field versus pass happy teams

5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

i see spence and walker on the field at the same time at some point. Walker could def do the mike. And it be a good idea to have those two on the field versus pass happy teams

I mean if Walker can become a solid player I could possibly see it.  I am hoping Spence shows up big this year and maybe even someone like Bostic as well.

13 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

I remember before the Chiefs game, Dungy was being asked about how they were going to stop Larry Johnson.  Dungy responded, "Look, we're not going to hold him to 12 carries for 25 yards."

The Colts held Johnson to 13 carries for 32 yards in the game.

In the post game press conference Dungy started off by saying, "Well, I told you we were not going to hold him to 12 carries for 25 yards"

The NFL is a passing league now and bringing in a guy like Hooker was a no brainer. I love the direction the secondary is headed, and hopefully we can keep building it up, along with getting some solid pass rush back in Indianapolis.

I can't wait for next years off-season already! :D

2 hours ago, LuckyHooker24 said:

The NFL is a passing league now and bringing in a guy like Hooker was a no brainer. I love the direction the secondary is headed, and hopefully we can keep building it up, along with getting some solid pass rush back in Indianapolis.

I can't wait for next years off-season already! :D

That's a good point.  I'm not a huge fan yet of drafting Hooker, mainly because I think #15 is too soon to draft someone with 1 year experience in the NCAA(and it doesn't help matters that he a Buckeye) but the NFL is a passing league and a defense needs 4 guys back there that can track the ball in the air and despite some of Hooker's shortcomings, in the year of experience he proved he can do that well.

On 5/11/2017 at 6:05 PM, Stephen said:

Hooker helps the run game simply because he allows another guy in the box. 

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Def going to need that versus fournette

Teams are going to stack the box and make Bortles beat them.....and he has proven he can't consistently do that. Also Jax traded Orange Julius to the Dolphins for a used up and broke down Brandon Alberts to start for them....he may even retire. I'm not sold on Jacksonville's offense in the least bit. That defense should make strides I think with the guys they've brought in but the offense I will have to see it to believe it.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Teams are going to stack the box and make Bortles beat them.....and he has proven he can't consistently do that. Also Jax traded Orange Julius to the Dolphins for a used up and broke down Brandon Alberts to start for them....he may even retire. I'm not sold on Jacksonville's offense in the least bit. That defense should make strides I think with the guys they've brought in but the offense I will have to see it to believe it.

True we face some nice rb this year. David johnson,bell, McCoy,ect. Hopefully we can stop them.

22 hours ago, Stephen said:

True we face some nice rb this year. David johnson,bell, McCoy,ect. Hopefully we can stop them.

Looks like we have the players to do it. So if we can't get it done this year then perhaps its the coaches schemes and game planning that needs to change.

The guy spent his day at the children's hospital during what would be one of the biggest days of his life.

Once I read that I immediately fell in love with the pick.

I fell in love with the guy about two months before the draft. What I saw on film looked like a guy who would be gone long before we picked.

We struck gold with this pick. He has the ability to be very special and this defense desperately needs a play-maker like Hooker.

A quote from an un-named scout, sourced from Pro Football Weekly ...

"On Safety Malik Hooker – “I sure hope his surgeries went well because he is the best safety in the last 10 years. Maybe he’ll fall to us now!”"