Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should Peyton Stay Or Go: Various Takes

KyFan18

On a team that finished last the year before and improved to playoff bound the year after "Manning's" 3-13 record. Worst to first. I'll take any bet that says Luck will do better.

You missed my point. I was responding to people who think that Luck will have this team in a position to never draft this high in the draft again. I'm saying that we drafted high again after getting Manning, so why should we automatically assume that we won't finish with a bad enough record to draft high again with Luck?

My friend is a diehard Ravens fan so I have watched a lot of ravens games, so I've seen Pagano's D. I like Chuck Pagano as a DC but I don't think he is quite ready to take the job as a HC just yet, unless, we hire an excellent OC. We've hired Bruce Arian as our new OC. I think he's a good OC but not an excellent one. I think overall hiring is just too much of gamble by JI (rookie HC, above average OC, average DC, and so on) to take, and he is not an *. So, these hiring moves by JI led me to believe that he is really thinking of PM coming back as a colt next year as his #1 option. If this were to happen and we draft Andrew Luck, have him work with Bruce Arian for a year or two, we will make a smooth transition on our offense after PM retires. And if we were to trade our #1 pick for multiple picks, we can still draft a qb in the later rounds to work with our OC, this would be JI's #2 option. #3 option would be to release PM and draft Luck and start everything fresh from the bottom. Like I said earlier, I think this is too much of a gamble for JI to take. If JI were thinking of rebuliding the franchise all over with Luck from the beginning, he wouldn't have hired a rookie HC, instead, hired an offensive minded coach or at least big name OC.

And that's indicative of the perception problem regarding Luck. It took Peyton YEARS to become a MVP candidate. Brady was basically a game manager for all three super bowl wins. Cam Newton was tremendous this year and the Panthers are picking 8th or 9th. Peyton set all kinds of rookie records and the Colts picked 4th. The Lions picked 2nd the year after drafting Stafford. I'm sure that there are many other examples. If Luck were traded to a team that was just a QB away from making the playoffs, that's one thing. But the odds of a rookie QB turning a lousy team around in one season - particulary one that just gave up a ridiculous number of draft picks - is pretty slim. Luck is just another prospect until he proves otherwise, and it's likely that a team like the Browns are going to be lousy until proven other wise. Particularly when stuck in that division.

i think if we traded said pick for a multi pick deal i have a feeling it won't be to a lousy team that needs help everywhere and can build with the draft. i think the only team willing to give up two years worth of draft picks would be a team like the 49ers or another team who feels they are only a QB away from a SB run. Also i think jim harbaugh would love to have is college protege back