Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Something surely needed

26 minutes ago, Albaby said:

Sean Spence is a completely under-rated LBer.  

When I watch his film, I'm not sure why people aren't higher on him, especially compared to what we have.  Might surprise some people.  

thats something that i noticed with all (okay most) of the people we brought in.  watching their highlights (yeah, i know) they all tackle well and create turn overs.  gonna be exciting this year if we can be half in the league in turn overs.  

5 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:
Making tackles. 

Hopefully by week 3 it's him and Walker JR starting. 

Spence is a great pick up. That may be a bit optimistic about Walker.  He's a smart player but I'm not sure he's going to start over Bostic, Jackson, or even Morrison this year. 

16 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Spence is a great pick up. That may be a bit optimistic about Walker.  He's a smart player but I'm not sure he's going to start over Bostic, Jackson, or even Morrison this year. 

Bostic is a nice pick up too, but has injury concerns. Walker is very smart, and has great size and speed. I see him passing Morrison and eventually Jackson on the depth chart. 

15 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Bostic is a nice pick up too, but has injury concerns. Walker is very smart, and has great size and speed. I see him passing Morrison and eventually Jackson on the depth chart. 

Could be.  I watched some of his tape and at times he looks great.  Other times he looked lost.  I know he's got the brains, coaches son and all that, and the desire. I think he led the B1G in tackles two years ago, so you know he can hit and wrap up.  Did I read something about him bulking up too much in 16?  Maybe it wasn't him.

I'm rooting for him.

I'm also hoping the light comes on for Morrison, but that may be asking too much.  He may have been still injured last year.

30 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Could be.  I watched some of his tape and at times he looks great.  Other times he looked lost.  I know he's got the brains, coaches son and all that, and the desire. I think he led the B1G in tackles two years ago, so you know he can hit and wrap up.  Did I read something about him bulking up too much in 16?  Maybe it wasn't him.

I'm rooting for him.

I'm also hoping the light comes on for Morrison, but that may be asking too much.  He may have been still injured last year.

Yes that was him. And Morrison just doesn't have the quickness or speed imo. He's a run stuffer. 

26 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'd be surprised if Walker Jr is plugged in as a starter that quickly.

Maybe week 3 is a little early. But there isn't 1 sure-fire starter at ILB.. so I'd say it's a possibility. 

2 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Yes that was him. And Morrison just doesn't have the quickness or speed imo. He's a run stuffer. 

Maybe week 3 is a little early. But there isn't 1 sure-fire starter at ILB.. so I'd say it's a possibility. 

Right now I think it's Morrison's job to lose unless Walker Jr. just comes into camp and blows everyone's mind. Having that 1 year of experience bodes well for Morrison IMO, and I assume Walker will be eased into his role unless we have a rash of injuries. Either way, I feel good about the overall talent level on D, and the fact that the coaches actually have some pieces to play with is a luxury we haven't seen in a long time.

7 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:
Making tackles. 

Hopefully by week 3 it's him and Walker JR starting. 

I can't see Walker JR starting that early, unless we're riddled with injuries. I'm excited to see Edwin Jackson.. I think he might be a solid started if he continues to grow.

20 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Right now I think it's Morrison's job to lose unless Walker Jr. just comes into camp and blows everyone's mind. Having that 1 year of experience bodes well for Morrison IMO, and I assume Walker will be eased into his role unless we have a rash of injuries. Either way, I feel good about the overall talent level on D, and the fact that the coaches actually have some pieces to play with is a luxury we haven't seen in a long time.

Lol match him up with some tightends in preseason to see then we'll see if he should start (Morrison)

21 hours ago, LuckyHooker24 said:

I can't see Walker JR starting that early, unless we're riddled with injuries. I'm excited to see Edwin Jackson.. I think he might be a solid started if he continues to grow.

Considering the colts talent level at ILB, I could definitely see him starting that early.

Spence will probably have a monster, breakout year with us considering he'll be starting every game and he knows he's the guy. Other than that unless Morrison, Jackson, or Bostic have improved drastically the only advantage they have on Walker is a year (Morrison and E-Jax) of experience. Walker's the best talent of the 4. Also remember we finally have a big stud, run stuffing, double team demanding NT up front to keep the ILB's clean. That makes a big difference.

44 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Spence will probably have a monster, breakout year with us considering he'll be starting every game and he knows he's the guy. Other than that unless Morrison, Jackson, or Bostic have improved drastically the only advantage they have on Walker is a year (Morrison and E-Jax) of experience. Walker's the best talent of the 4. Also remember we finally have a big stud, run stuffing, double team demanding NT up front to keep the ILB's clean. That makes a big difference.

If Spence just shows he can cover tightends and some backs not all out of the backfield that's all we need 

2 hours ago, will426 said:

If Spence just shows he can cover tightends and some backs not all out of the backfield that's all we need 

I'd still like to see us trade say.....a 4th and Morrison for Mychal Kendricks. Kendricks and Spence would be a very good duo and would give Walker a year to develop, but in a way I just wanna see us throw Walker out there and let him learn on the fly and get him experienced. I think he could be a major steal. I was thinking he'd go in the 3-4 range. Not the middle of the 5th. I think he's got some really nice potential, 3 down LB, and could be a starting ILB in the NFL for 10 years or so.

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I'd still like to see us trade say.....a 4th and Morrison for Mychal Kendricks. Kendricks and Spence would be a very good duo and would give Walker a year to develop, but in a way I just wanna see us throw Walker out there and let him learn on the fly and get him experienced. I think he could be a major steal. I was thinking he'd go in the 3-4 range. Not the middle of the 5th. I think he's got some really nice potential, 3 down LB, and could be a starting ILB in the NFL for 10 years or so.

I agree completely with the bolded... His 2015 tape is different from last season's (which wasn't bad, imo). Walker had speed to cover and real quickness two seasons ago. If he loses 10-15 lbs. he should be back to form. He does have some tackling issues, for sure, but that is an easier problem to fix for Walker. It's not that he avoids contact, it's just fundamentals. 

I don't know how soon it'll happen, but I think that Walker will own one of those spots eventually. 

2 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

I agree completely with the bolded... His 2015 tape is different from last season's (which wasn't bad, imo). Walker had speed to cover and real quickness two seasons ago. If he loses 10-15 lbs. he should be back to form. He does have some tackling issues, for sure, but that is an easier problem to fix for Walker. It's not that he avoids contact, it's just fundamentals. 

I don't know how soon it'll happen, but I think that Walker will own one of those spots eventually. 

Hopefully even with his tackling issues he's strong enough to slow them down for someone else to clean up but I do agree he needs to improve 

I don't get what people saw in Morrison. He may have made a play or two in the last few games of the season after D-Jax suspension but I don't remember much of him but him being slow and taking "false steps" and often being out of position on plays. At least I saw Edwin Jackson show a burst and make some hits that I haven't seen since Bob Sanders was around. I bet Ballard remembers the hit he put on Alex Smith last year...  I know I do. Unless Morrison has improved IMMENSELY, he should not be starting and I'm questioning whether he belongs on the roster at all. 

On 5/5/2017 at 3:36 PM, Smonroe said:

It's really Spence vs jackson Ilb

And bostic vs Morrison vs walker mlb 

IMO, 

This just got me thinking about Chris Ballard talking about competition at every position like I feel like there is competition at a lot more positions than we used to, like Nt, all Lb, le, re, cb, ss, fs basically the entire def, weather or not is good competition is tbd 

On 5/6/2017 at 1:41 PM, dodsworth said:

I don't see Morrison having the speed to drop into coverage that Ballard

is looking for. This guy will be sweating bullets on final cut day.

As Smonroe pointed out, Morrison may not have been 100% last year -- he was coming off 2 knee surgeries.  My hope is he's a little faster this year (physically and mentally).  However, I am kind of pegging him in as a STer if he makes the roster.

The nice thing with the Hooker pick up is we may be able to use Geathers (maybe Green, too) as hybrid LBers to cover TEs and mask some of our deficiencies at ILB.