Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Get to know more about your Colts GM, Chris Ballard

ColtsBlueFL

Now that his first draft is completed (except for UDFA signings to come) I thought I would post some information on our new GM for those that haven't already researched him, to get to know more about our General Manager.

Things I've found to know about Chris Ballard a little more-

Ballard grew up in Texas City, Texas and fell in love with football at an early age.  He played football at Wisconsin as a wide receiver, but sat out his senior year with knee injuries. He graduated in 1993.

Ballard and his wife Kristin have 5 children-  Kierstyn, Cole, Sunnie, Cash, and Rainn. His love of the outdoors is reflected in Sunnie's and Rainn's names.

He joined the Bears organization as a Southwest area scout in 2001 and held that position for a decade, then was promoted to Director of Pro Scouting in 2012. Ballard has since spent the past few years in Kansas City as Director of Player Personnel, then Director of Football Operations.

Ballard was heavily involved with the Bears draft selections of Matt Forte, Charles Tillman, Johnnie Knox, Nathan Vasher, Tommie Harris, and Henry Melton. He also had involvement in getting Brandon Marshall, Martellus Bennett, and Jermon Bushrod to Chicago. {reportedly literally pounded the table in meetings / draft room for Tillman!  LOL}

But, not always was it roses though as he also was a big proponent of Cedric Benson ahead of Aaron Rodgers, Roddy White, Antrel Rolle, and DeMarcus Ware in 2005. { So NO, to Dalvin Cook at #15, anyone?  ;-) }

While it is reported Ballard had once said once long ago his favorite pro sports team was the Pittsburgh Steelers, with his favorite athlete being Terry Bradshaw, he is now all in for Indy.  His quotes-

“Everyone will have to understand that we are all a part of something bigger than ourselves and that every decision we make will be in the best interest of the horseshoe. It will never be about one person; it will take all of us to come together as one.”

“To our past players, who have created such high expectations and high standards, we will make you proud of the team that we are going to build together and know that you are always welcome back here in Indianapolis. I think it’s very important to bring back the former players and get them around our current players so they understand the history and the high standards that have been set by the past successes.”

“I care about our ex-players in this game and I want to help them find their life’s work. I want to help our current players find their life’s work. I think that is very important.”

This guy gets it,  life is more than just football, too! And while it will take a couple of years to truly evaluate the fruits of his and the Indy Colts scouts work, in his first Colts draft so far it appears golden.