Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard

tvturner

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Let's not forget that it was just in 2012 that Ryan Grigson had what was described by ESPN at the time as the 9th greatest draft in the history of the NFL.

How did that draft eventually work out?

How did Grigson eventually work out.

All I'm saying is that Ballard is one mile in to a 26 Mile marathon....    let's not pronounce him the winner of the race at this point....

I also love his picks....      but let's see how they actually do on the field first....

Luck, Hilton, Fleener, Ballard and Allen were good picks.

It's easy to love the Ballard picks, but just remember, Ballard was drafting BPA for at least the first 3 rounds. It just so happened that those BPA filled huge holes on the roster.

His free agency was also very attractive, and he looks like he knows exactly what he's doing. He is building this team, getting difference makers in the draft at whatever position he can, and then filling with good value signings in FA.

You really can't ask much more from any GM, let alone a rookie.

He really seems to have a bright future ahead of him.

Round 1 - Defense

Round 2- Defense

Round 3 - Defense

I love Ballards thought process. Fix/repair the defense so the offense doesnt have to try to score 40 points in a game to win it. And even got a talented running back to to take Gores place at some point. 

22 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

An 8-8 team is not near as bad as you claim it to be. There will be quite a few of present players on the roster that will stay on this roster. It is not all doom and gloom as you suggest.

8-8 in the AFC South is pretty bad.  Take into consideration the nearly universal opinion of those that are so called, 'experts', that Luck helped to mask a bad roster of players.  Besides Luck, can you think of any of the players from Grigson's drafts, or trades, that would be considered a dominant player at their position?

10 minutes ago, jet1968 said:

Round 1 - Defense

Round 2- Defense

Round 3 - Defense

I love Ballards thought process. Fix/repair the defense so the offense doesnt have to try to score 40 points in a game to win it. And even got a talented running back to to take Gores place at some point. 

I am concerned, as I was with last year's draft, that these players will have contracts that expire at the same time.  I hope that in time the Colts will be able to balance the draft choices so that the best player available can be selected.

2 hours ago, nstra1025 said:

8-8 in the AFC South is pretty bad.  Take into consideration the nearly universal opinion of those that are so called, 'experts', that Luck helped to mask a bad roster of players.  Besides Luck, can you think of any of the players from Grigson's drafts, or trades, that would be considered a dominant player at their position?

Players don't have to be dominant at their positions to be starters or winners in the NFL.

First about Ryan G., he is a good guy, but horrible at making decisions. I like what Chris did last weekend. Choosing players that most of the fans have heard of.  It looks like it may take a while to dig out the hole that Ryan and his scouting dept made. But I think that Chris is off to a good start. 1. Addressing the role players in free agency 2. Addressing the needs of the team in the draft 3. Getting rid of the scouting dept of Ryan Grigson today 4. The players that was release today, none of those guys was going to help the Colts make a playoff run late in the season. I am looking forward to the start of Training Camp in August

9 hours ago, nstra1025 said:

Vontae, Hilton

31 minutes ago, JR Indy said:

First about Ryan G., he is a good guy, but horrible at making decisions. I like what Chris did last weekend. Choosing players that most of the fans have heard of.  It looks like it may take a while to dig out the hole that Ryan and his scouting dept made. But I think that Chris is off to a good start. 1. Addressing the role players in free agency 2. Addressing the needs of the team in the draft 3. Getting rid of the scouting dept of Ryan Grigson today 4. The players that was release today, none of those guys was going to help the Colts make a playoff run late in the season. I am looking forward to the start of Training Camp in August

Most of the scouting department was here before Grigson.

Right now Ballard has a lot of faith in the O-line that Grigson did bring in.

This blaming Grigson non stop is a knee jerk reaction by him being fired. It has now become chic to blame everything imaginable negative about the Colts on Grigson. Did he bring in the players of need when needed? Yes. Did they have the talent he thought they had? No. A couple of injuries also killed a couple of player he did bring in.

I am not blaming injuries on all the problems the Colts had but they did play a part. The main problem IMO was the drop off in talent between the starters and the backups and that is what cost Grigson his job.  We had so many different starting offensive linemen we lost count. We had rookies that were not ready to be starters forced into starting when a few injuries forced the issue.

Even though Luck had a good year it was obvious he played like he was hurt.

I think Ballard has done a fine job his first draft but the bottom line is nothing has improved yet. The same things being said about Ballard was also said about Grigson his first two years. You know things like in Grigson (Ballard) we trust. I am fully going to admit I was one of them just like 95% of all the forum members in here did.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

This blaming Grigson non stop is a knee jerk reaction by him being fired. It has now become chic to blame everything imaginable negative about the Colts on Grigson. Did he bring in the players of need when needed? Yes. Did they have the talent he thought they had? No. A couple of injuries also killed a couple of player he did bring in.

I am not blaming injuries on all the problems the Colts had but they did play a part. The main problem IMO was the drop off in talent between the starters and the backups and that is what cost Grigson his job.  We had so many different starting offensive linemen we lost count. We had rookies that were not ready to be starters forced into starting when a few injuries forced the issue.

I think Ballard has done a fine job his first draft but the bottom line is nothing has improved yet. The same things being said about Ballard was also said about Grigson his first two years. You know things like in Grigson (Ballard) we trust. I am fully going to admit I was one of them just like 95% of all the forum members in here did.

Actually, a lot of people here wanted Grigson gone a while before he was fired. It's just mostly some of the homers who now feel it's "ok" to talk bad about Grigson now that he's gone, and wouldn't do it before because he was a member of the Colts. I wanted Grigson gone after he traded for Trent Richardson and wasted a 1st round pick. After we drafted Dorsett in 2015, pretty much everyone was at the same point. I do give you props for sticking to your guns and having the same opinion on Grigson whether he is the GM of the Colts or not. That is rare and I respect it, even though I disagree with your opinion.

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Actually, a lot of people here wanted Grigson gone a while before he was fired. It's just mostly some of the homers who now feel it's "ok" to talk bad about Grigson now that he's gone, and wouldn't do it before because he was a member of the Colts. I wanted Grigson gone after he traded for Trent Richardson and wasted a 1st round pick. After we drafted Dorsett in 2015, pretty much everyone was at the same point. I do give you props for sticking to your guns and having the same opinion on Grigson whether he is the GM of the Colts or not. That is rare and I respect it, even though I disagree with your opinion.

Fair enough.

There was a very small percentage of forum members who were against trading a low round #1 for Richardson   at the time including me. We were all wrong.

I am still on a limb with Dorsett because I don't think he has been utilized correctly. Luck has yet to have the time to go through any progressions and utilize his complete set of receivers. (lack of an even average pass blocking O-line).

Luck has still yet to find a timing pattern and why I have no clue and I think Dorsett is fully capable of handling those types of routes.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Fair enough.

There was a very small percentage of forum members who were against trading a low round #1 for Richardson   at the time including me. We were all wrong.

I am still on a limb with Dorsett because I don't think he has been utilized correctly. Luck has yet to have the time to go through any progressions and utilize his complete set of receivers. (lack of an even average pass blocking O-line).

Luck has still yet to find a timing pattern and why I have no clue and I think Dorsett is fully capable of handling those types of routes.

I don't have a problem with Dorsett specifically as a player, the thing that will ultimately spell his doom most likely on the Colts roster is that he doesn't have Luck's trust as a receiver and gets very few targets. Chud also runs an offensive scheme where it favors the WR1/TE1 and Hilton is going to get most of the targets, which makes it even worse combined with the fact that Luck doesn't seem to trust Dorsett and Moncrief is the no2. This is why I'm very glad Ballard didn't do something like draft a depth WR, because almost any WR can play the WR2/WR3 roles in our offense, and ours are definitely good enough to fit the bill. We just need some solid RB play now, and hopefully Mack can help provide that, but Ballard had to fix the defense first (which he did).

I find it interesting that Ballard I believe has just drafted the two biggest players in the draft.

Banner and Stewart.      I don't think there was/is anyone bigger.

Given that we also signed Hankins and Woods,  I don't think that's a good sign for the future of David Parry.

He just doesn't have the size or the length,  the difference making traits that Ballard looks for....

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I find it interesting that Ballard I believe has just drafted the two biggest players in the draft.

Given that we also signed Hankins and Woods,  I don't think that's a good sign for the future of David Parry.

He just doesn't have the size or the length,  the difference making traits that Ballard looks for....

Don't think it's a big loss to lose Parry, at best he's a role player at this point with some character concerns. Grover Stewart I like more and more the more I hear from him, and I'm higher on Banner than most people on the forum because I just like the mauler type O-Lineman that can dominate on the line of scrimmage. I think they are solid risk/reward types in the 4th round.

49 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't have a problem with Dorsett specifically as a player, the thing that will ultimately spell his doom most likely on the Colts roster is that he doesn't have Luck's trust as a receiver and gets very few targets. Chud also runs an offensive scheme where it favors the WR1/TE1 and Hilton is going to get most of the targets, which makes it even worse combined with the fact that Luck doesn't seem to trust Dorsett and Moncrief is the no2. This is why I'm very glad Ballard didn't do something like draft a depth WR, because almost any WR can play the WR2/WR3 roles in our offense, and ours are definitely good enough to fit the bill. We just need some solid RB play now, and hopefully Mack can help provide that, but Ballard had to fix the defense first (which he did).

IMO Luck not having the time to find either Moncrief or Dorsett  is more the problem than trust. When he has gone to Moncrief it has paid off but Dorsett is rarely gone to because Luck for sure don't have the time to find the 2nd or 3rd receiver on the field. IMO that explains why Doyle has so many catches because he is being used as a safety dump off receiver. Doyles average yards per catch pretty much shows that.

Hopefully we will see better pass blocking and run blocking. Ballard evidently likes what he sees in the O-line or I think he would have did a little more work on that. I think I was reading earlier where he was surprisingly happy with what was already here concerning the O-line. I guess Grigson did finally do a good job at finding some O-linemen that would work but for him it was too late when other problems were added.

55 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It wouldn't surprise me that Parry being cut is the next move Ballard makes other than signing some undrafted free agents.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I do realize some of the posters in this forum feel a certain way about the moves that was made. Some feel that these moves was wrong, and I respect your opinion. I think one thing that all Colt fans can agree on is the direction that this team was headed. It is one thing to get beat (the game was competitive). But it's another thing to get blown out repeatedly by teams the Colts had no business losing to in the first place. Coaches cut players that under perform. GM release coaches and coaching staff that under perform. Owners release GM that under perform. And when a new GM comes in, alot of changes will be made. I do know know if all these moves will be positive, I do not know. As for me trusting Grigson, I never did. As far as me trusting Ballard or anyone else the Colts hire, I never will.  I just want to see things turn around for the better for the Colts.

30 minutes ago, JR Indy said:

I do realize some of the posters in this forum feel a certain way about the moves that was made. Some feel that these moves was wrong, and I respect your opinion. I think one thing that all Colt fans can agree on is the direction that this team was headed. It is one thing to get beat (the game was competitive). But it's another thing to get blown out repeatedly by teams the Colts had no business losing to in the first place. Coaches cut players that under perform. GM release coaches and coaching staff that under perform. Owners release GM that under perform. And when a new GM comes in, alot of changes will be made. I do know know if all these moves will be positive, I do not know. As for me trusting Grigson, I never did. As far as me trusting Ballard or anyone else the Colts hire, I never will.  I just want to see things turn around for the better for the Colts.

If you think about it Grigson's players brought in were not brought in because they were expected to be good, but didn't.  It's that simple. Grigson is getting a lot of hate that even goes past his moves as a GM. No matter what  anyone thinks Grigson at one time brought this team off the floor and into the playoffs three times with an appearance in the AFC Championship. Did it go south? Heck yes. Does your hate for Grigson make you forget the positive things that did happen when he started being the Colts GM.

Grigson has been fired. He paid for his team going 8-8 two seasons in a row.

I guess that's not enough for those who forget this is the NFL. This stuff is nothing new. I have been a very long time NFL fan and a die hard Colt fan. It's not that dramatic.

A fan is a shorted version of fanatic.   Kinda nuff said.    :dunno:

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you think about it Grigson's players brought in were not brought in because they were expected to be good, but didn't.  It's that simple. Grigson is getting a lot of hate that even goes past his moves as a GM. No matter what  anyone thinks Grigson at one time brought this team off the floor and into the playoffs three times with an appearance in the AFC Championship. Did it go south? Heck yes. Does your hate for Grigson make you forget the positive things that did happen when he started being the Colts GM.

Grigson has been fired. He paid for his team going 8-8 two seasons in a row.

I guess that's not enough for those who forget this is the NFL. This stuff is nothing new. I have been a very long time NFL fan and a die hard Colt fan. It's not that dramatic.

A fan is a shorted version of fanatic.   Kinda nuff said.    :dunno:

I did not (like some in this forum) ever hate (strong word) Grigson. But its a new season, one thing I do agree with you is that I am still a Colts fan, but I am not on the fanatic. 

23 minutes ago, JR Indy said:

I did not (like some in this forum) ever hate (strong word) Grigson. But its a new season, one thing I do agree with you is that I am still a Colts fan, but I am not on the fanatic. 

Sorry if you took it personally. It was not meant specifically for you, just a general comment.