Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Malik Hooker [Merge]

danlhart87

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If the job of the FS is to play the ball 80% of the time, I'd think it would make more sense to select quality pass rushers and CBs high than it is to take a FS high, when he is basically only asked to be a one-trick pony.

We are going to be in serious trouble if we don't find a replacement for Vontae.  A CB who can cover, track the ball, and support the run really well.  And in a defense where we want the FS to play centerfield 80% of the time and not support the run much or get into short pattern coverage a lot, two CBs like Vontae would be better.

I'm thinking this was a bad pick...not a bad player...but a bad pick strategically in the long term.  We'll see how the rest of the draft goes.

BPA is never a bad strategy. The Colts need was defense. There wasn't a corner worth taking there. Humphrey isn't going to be an All-Pro.

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If the job of the FS is to play the ball 80% of the time, I'd think it would make more sense to select quality pass rushers and CBs high than it is to take a FS high, when he is basically only asked to be a one-trick pony.

We are going to be in serious trouble if we don't find a replacement for Vontae.  A CB who can cover, track the ball, and support the run really well.  And in a defense where we want the FS to play centerfield 80% of the time and not support the run much or get into short pattern coverage a lot, two CBs like Vontae would be better.

I'm thinking this was a bad pick...not a bad player...but a bad pick strategically in the long term.  We'll see how the rest of the draft goes.

:spit::realitycheck:

After thinking about the HOOKER pick, I see what happened here and why we didnt go FOSTER. HOOKER protects the deep ball game. He allows the CBs to play tighter coverage and when and if the QB goes deep, HOOKER will be there near the area. Also, The CB class is deep so we can get a CB in the 2nd or 3rd. HOOKER allows for most plays to be played in front of him. I feel as though he is responsible as a safety, and you need safeties to be very responsible as most times they're on an island. Combine that with a stood who has great hands, and this can be dangerous (but in a good way).

32 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

yeah he will help the corners out, thats partly what makes this a great pick

Yup...

32 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

he may not get the int if he has to run 25 yards across the field but an incompletion is still a win for the defense

its not like the ints are the only good thing he did.  he was great overall in coverage and was not a liability against the run, he just took some bad angles at times.

No, he can do that too!

38 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Nobody is comparing them as players.  I am comparing the comments and the picks at their respective rounds.  

I see both as NFL projects, according to their weaknesses, talent, and playing experience.  The better one being drafted higher.  

Lol...

This is ridiculous.  They aren't even comparable via comments from scouts.

Green was a 5th round pick taken in the second.  He fundamentally didn't know how to play DB, but was a freak athlete.

Hooker is an absolute complete football player who can tackle, cover, read, react, with elite range, elite physical tools, elite measurable, against elite competition with statistics to back literally everything up.  The fact you think they are even 1% comparable is laughable.  Hooker's sole weakness is he doesn't know how to take angles against ball carriers from center field.  That's it.  If you want to tout playing experience for a sophomore as a weakness then that too is hilarious.

Get a grip on reality.

TJ Green was so heavily touted by the media but if you actually watched him you could easily see he had no clue what he was doing and didn't deserve to be drafted for anything other than he can be a really good athlete. 

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are trying to hard to not like this pick LOL. He was projected to go in the Top 10 by most NFL experts and has Great potential written all over him. What is not to like about this pick? A lot of NFL people are comparing him to Ed Reed. We can still Draft a potentially Great CB in Round 2 or 3 and be ok. We still have Vontae Davis as well last I looked who may not be Great anymore but he is still Very Good and a legit #1 CB. I wanted Reddick but once he was gone, I was happy with this pick. I was shocked Hooker was there at #15 actually. I think he and Geathers will mesh well together and I am still holding out hope Green will turn out at least in GOOD category.

I think it makes more sense to pick Humphrey, for what we want our DBs to do and what our roster looks like.  They were both always ranked high so neither would have been a reach.  Baltimore picked Humphrey at 16.

I'm sure there will be comments about how bad Humphrey is and how good Hooker is, but by all accounts from the professionals, they were ranked pretty equally.

1 minute ago, Surge89 said:

Lol...

Green was a 5th round pick taken in the second.  He fundamentally didn't know how to play DB, but was a freak athlete.

Hooker is an absolute complete football player who can tackle, cover, read, react, with elite range, elite physical tools, elite measurable, against elite competition with statistics to back literally everything up.  The fact you think they are even 1% comparable is laughable.  Hooker's sole weakness is he doesn't know how to take angles against ball carriers from center field.  That's it.  If you want to tout playing experience for a sophomore as a weakness then that too is hilarious.

Get a grip on reality.

TJ Green was so heavily touted by the media but if you actually watched him you could easily see he had no clue what he was doing and didn't deserve to be drafted for anything other than he can be a really good athlete. 

wanna hear something funny.... same thing was said about Earl Thomas.........

10 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Lol...

Get a grip on reality.

They are not comparable players.  They are comparable picks.  Green being a worse pick than Hooker, but the Hooker pick doesn't look nearly as solid as the Kelly pick did last year. 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

They are not comparable players.  They are comparable picks.  Green being a worse pick than Hooker, but the Hooker pick doesn't look nearly as solid as the Kelly pick did last year. 

you've spent half the day claiming hooker is on the level as green because of his tackling, then it was lack of coverage, now it is because its not as solid as Kelly. we get, you don't like the pick. but the reasons are ridiculous at best  Keep moving the sticks but ultimately, you lose.

12 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

He is starter material, at FS.  Don't be fooled.

/in yours, not Ballard's and the Colts scouting team.  They went BPA a Hooker fell in their lap.

Teams are reviewing medical info: On #OSU S Malik Hooker: Combine recheck went as well as it could. Healing is good. No questions there.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 21, 2017

Ballard said he doesn't draft by need, he stocks the best players... BPA.  He saiys Hooker was High, very high on his list.

Again it was my opinion about talent because it was there. However I'm not upset. I've said multiple times. Whatever this team decided to do I was 100% on board. We have needs everywhere. Plus this kid is a turnover machine. 

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Just to entertain you as I'm bored right now.

How are they comparable picks?

One is a consensus top 10 talent.  He consistently shows elite traits of top 10 talent.  And is considered the best coverage safety by all players available in the draft (the absolute best) picked at 15.

One is a complete unknown on value some valuing him in the first others the 3rd some even down to the fifth (like me).  He has shown 0  elite ability to play the position and was considered to be a heavy risk for any team that would take him. 

Your very own logic is defeating you right now.  Unless you want to pretend you live in a different world I guess.  Which is cool. 

1 minute ago, Luck is Good said:

Malik Hooker was who I wanted. I had no idea he would drop to 15 though. This is a great pick and it was a no brainer

The more I think about it, I actually grade this pick an A. I had it a B last night which is still Good to Very Good but considering where we got him, this should be an A.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The more I think about it, I actually grade this pick an A. I had it a B last night which is still Good to Very Good but considering where we got him, this should be an A.

Chris Ballard knows what he's doing. I expect more great picks out of him tonight

Now lets get Tim Williams and then one of Teez Tabor, Cordrea Tankersley, or Fabian Moreau tonight. Then comeback with Jourdan Lewis in RD4 Saturday and we'll have one sexy draft with 4 day 1 impact players.

Yeah. Think about a pass rush of Tim Williams, Jabaal Sheard, and John Simon

A secondary of Vontae Davis, Clayton Geathers, Malik Hooker, Cordrea Tankersley, Darius Butler and Jourdan Lewis

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

True, but he can't pick his spots when our UDFA quality CBs can't cover past the 5 yard line.  He'll have to commit and help out early, and those ball hawking stats become irrelevant.

I cannot believe someone is so biased against a special talent like Hooker.  Only 6 Safety's have been taken in the top 10 since 2000, the last one being Eric Berry. Hooker was supposed to be top 10. He fell innto Ballards lap, and he essentially got Berry(Hooker) on a rookie 5 year deal.

Speaking of Berry, everyone was hoping Ballard would get him (he essentially has now!) in FA.  Hooker has been compared to Berry and Sean Taylor-

http://bit.ly/2cJ9fin

and Daniel Jeremiah was wit the Ravens when Ed Reed roamed the deep secondary, and he tells what Reed did for the Ravens, and that Hooker is in that same mold...

"He would find u"s a way to get us the football, get us a short field, if not just take it and score it himself, said Jeremiah, who spoke on a Wednesday NFL Media teleconference previewing this year’s draft. “I've seen a player at that position have a big time impact on games and seasons."

“Malik Hooker, his ability, like Ed, to get you the football,” Jeremiah said. “To me, he's pretty special with his instincts, range and ball skills.”

“These are two of the best safeties that have come out in a long, long time,” Jeremiah said.

“You have to have special players at that position if you're going to vault them all the way up where we have them.”

http://bit.ly/2pGqqMn

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was on the same thought process. The kid can play so I won't complain. Gives us the help we need in the secondary for years to come.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Who had Kelly in their top ten pre draft last year?

3 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Now lets get Tim Williams and then one of Teez Tabor, Cordrea Tankersley, or Fabian Moreau tonight. Then comeback with Jourdan Lewis in RD4 Saturday and we'll have one sexy draft with 4 day 1 impact players.

Yeah. Think about a pass rush of Tim Williams, Jabaal Sheard, and John Simon

A secondary of Vontae Davis, Clayton Geathers, Malik Hooker, Cordrea Tankersley, Darius Butler and Jourdan Lewis

If Tim Williams is still there that would be wonderful. We don't know who will be there so it's a crapshoot at this point. I would prefer the best Pass Rusher and best CB available in the next 2 Rounds or my man Forrest Lamp but I would be shocked if Lamp is there at 46?

STOP COMPARING MALIK HOOKER TO SOME BUM. He's not comparable or a comparable pick to that freaking loser TJ Green. TJ Green was a stupid pick from day 1 who GRIGSOB drafted on athletic traits. Grigsob had no football iq, or ability to find talent. There's nothing similar between these 2. Hooker's going to come in and make Green look like the little ___ he is and become a top 5 safety in the NFL. THERE IS NO COMPARING THEM. Green was a 5th RD PLAYER. Hooker is a top 5 TALENT. Anyone comparing the picks is stupid. Yeah you know I'll be real so there ya go. Anybody comparing the picks has no idea what they're talking about. Hell. Go watch some tape of the 2 and stop with this stupid s***!!!!

10 minutes ago, ButchFragrance said:

How do I start a topic on this forum? I'm from Malik's hometown and can give you guys some info on a kid that you are absolutely going to love.

go under colts football and click start new topic button on the upper right

Just now, COLTS449 said:

STOP COMPARING MALIK HOOKER TO SOME BUM. He's not comparable or a comparable pick to that freaking loser TJ Green. TJ Green was a stupid pick from day 1 who GRIGSOB drafted on athletic traits. Grigsob had no football iq, or ability to find talent. There's nothing similar to these 2. Hooker's and make Green look like the little ___ he is and become a top 5 safety in the NFL. THERE IS NO COMPARING THEM. Green was a 5th RD PLAYER. Hooker is a top 5 TALENT. Anyone comparing the picks is stupid. Yeah you know I'll be real so there ya go. Anybody comparing the picks has no idea what they're talking about. Hell. Go watch some tape of the 2 and stop with this stupid s***!!!!

he's a troll thru and thru

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Tim Williams is still there that would be wonderful. We don't know who will be there so it's a crapshoot at this point. I would prefer the best Pass Rusher and best CB available in the next 2 Rounds or my man Forrest Lamp but I would be shocked if Lamp is there at 46?

Yeah I wouldn't mind Lamp. I'd LOVE him, but yeah. No way he falls to 46 unless there's something we don't know. Hell I see Zach Martin in the kid. I figured he'd go top 25 last night.

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

Yeah I wouldn't mind Lamp. I'd LOVE him, but yeah. No way he falls to 46 unless there's something we don't know. Hell I see Zach Martin in the kid. I figured he'd go top 25 last night.

We can still do a lot of damage on Saturday too with the 3 4th Rounders. Tonight is going to be real interesting though.

4 minutes ago, ButchFragrance said:

How do I start a topic on this forum? I'm from Malik's hometown and can give you guys some info on a kid that you are absolutely going to love.

This following section, taken from the forum's Rules & Regulations page, should explain the posting process a little more thoroughly:

"If you are a New Member, WELCOME! We are glad you are here. Note: as a new member,you have limited posting privileges for a brief time. New Members may post 5 replies per 24 hour period until they reach 10 posts. They may *not* create a thread. Your 24 hour posting window is tied to the time of your first post. For example, if your first post was made at 4:34 PM, then you are allowed 5 posts between 4:34 PM and 4:33 PM. Once a new member has reached 10 posts, they become part of the 'Member' group and have the same posting privs as all other members. These policies are in place to help us keep our site spam free and to encourage new members to take some time reading and responding to posts. In other words, it's a good idea to get to know the members here at least a little bit first."

So unfortunately you can't start a new topic right away, however, I encourage you to share any information and insight you have on one of the pre-existing threads already discussing Hooker.

Many posters are extremely excited Malik is now an Indianapolis Colt.

5 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

STOP COMPARING MALIK HOOKER TO SOME BUM. He's not comparable or a comparable pick to that freaking loser TJ Green. TJ Green was a stupid pick from day 1 who GRIGSOB drafted on athletic traits. Grigsob had no football iq, or ability to find talent. There's nothing similar to these 2. Hooker's and make Green look like the little ___ he is and become a top 5 safety in the NFL. THERE IS NO COMPARING THEM. Green was a 5th RD PLAYER. Hooker is a top 5 TALENT. Anyone comparing the picks is stupid. Yeah you know I'll be real so there ya go. Anybody comparing the picks has no idea what they're talking about. Hell. Go watch some tape of the 2 and stop with this stupid s***!!!!

Did Grigson make mistakes? Yes, but to say Grigson had no football IQ is wrong. No GM did what he did in his first 2 years can be called low football IQ. Grigson did make some very good high football IQ moves while he was here. Quit exaggerating.

5 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Green is still a Great athlete but I agree Hooker is twice the Football player, one just has to watch the tape. I am happy with our Pick, it was much needed.

14 minutes ago, ButchFragrance said:

there's a space at the top of the main page that says start a thread in blue, but I think you have to post a few time or wait 24-48 hours before you can start a thread bro

We're so accustomed to a slow defense honestly, it'll be great when we see this kid pick off a pass or 10 during the year.

Tired of the crap we've trotted out the past few years. Let's get faster and stronger guys in here with actual high potential. 

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Did Grigson make mistakes? Yes, but to say Grigson had no football IQ is wrong. No GM did what he did in his first 2 years can be called low football IQ. Grigson did make some very good high football IQ moves while he was here. Quit exaggerating.

I'm not gonna get into this again, but you're wrong. Anybody could have done what he did. He was handed a job with the number 1 overall pick in his hands when it just so happens, a once in a generation QB was coming out....Anyone with a functioning brain would have known to take Luck 1 overall. That's all he did to make us a solid team. Literally ALL he did. Me or you could have done a better job as GM.

1 hour ago, AustexColt said:

He was ranked #1 Safety by Walter Draft, although it was noted that he would miss 4-6 months due to his latest surgery. That says alot especially with only 1 year as a starter and being a basketball player through high school. What says more than anything is that OSU had a long list of DB's and he came out of nowhere to start and now be drafted in the first round. What it means: HE HAS HEART and HE IS A VERY CONFIDENT player. HE IS A UNIQUE PLAYER and if he remains healthy, we have an Ed Reed 2.0. This will give Ted Monachino tremendous strategic advantage in his blitz package.

The only downside is his surgery. The labrum and hernia surgery is not a minor surgery. 

The injuries are being way overblown. He still started and played all 13 games last year. His medical re-check is way on schedule. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I'm not asserting that Hooker can't do anything, so there is no reason for me to provide a link.

I'm pointing out that others are asserting that he is an elite player only by talking about the number of interceptions he has collected when allowed to move on the ball at will and not spending his time covering for a beaten CB. 

Try watching this video, it'll give you a better idea as to how Hooker helps our team.

58 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

All of those teams are consistently adding  better talent to their rosters.  Disparaging these teams as competitors in this division is getting old now.

It was a joke, but Is there a single team in another division who wouldn't take the competition in this division over theirs?  Not one.  As far as the NFL goes, this is the closest to Indiana, Rutgers and Purdue as you will get, and with the inexperienced and unpolished QBs in this division, Hooker should have a few opportunities for INTs.