Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CR91

2017 NFL Draft Day 1 Thread [Merge]

Recommended Posts

That concludes the first day of the draft. Thanks for everyone that helped keep track of picks. Much appreciate, have a good night and god bless 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

True..but when confrontations come on the field..you have to make plays...you 'win' ore are 'defeated' by the guy you confront.

 

..and the SEC is talent laden....I'm just saying that you have plenty of opportunity to make accurate evaluations against quality foes

It's much easier for a LB to make plays when they have the ability to move freely, instead of having to shed O-linemen before making the play. Foster benefited from a stellar d-line and that is always a factor when you're scouting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saints did alright...perhaps best corner and tackle in the draft. Not too shabby. Signed Peterson too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, oldunclemark said:

Pack needs O)-line help

They really do. Luckily Lamp is waiting for them at the first pick of the 2nd round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

49ers are cleaning up so far. Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster in the 1st. 

 

Cleveland did very well too. Garrett and Njoku and a 2018 first round pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shive said:

It's much easier for a LB to make plays when they have the ability to move freely, instead of having to shed O-linemen before making the play. Foster benefited from a stellar d-line and that is always a factor when you're scouting.

Sure it is...but he wasnt playing the JV....of the other SEC schools

...that also has to be considered...

 

That logic would suggest that talent playing with talent cant develop fully because of the talent

I cant go with you there

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only 13 more picks till we are back on the board. Edge/corner value should be there guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, oldunclemark said:

That logic would suggest that talent playing with talent cant develop fully because of the talent

I cant go with you there

 

Not saying they can't. Just saying that you have to take it into account.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

The Colts' defensive overhaul: New Indianapolis GM Chris Ballard has a vision, and he's executing it beautifully. Thursday's selection of Ohio State safety Malik Hooker was a fantastic value at No. 15 overall and immediately improves a woeful secondary. Since the start of March, Ballard has added defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins, linebackers Jabaal Sheard, John Simon and Sean Spence and defensive end Margus Hunt. No team has done a better job improving its toughness and defensive depth this offseason.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000803728/article/winners-and-losers-after-round-1-of-the-2017-nfl-draft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I;m scrambling..I dont know a lot about him

Seriously?  I thought you were a big ten guy.  Hooker was a unanimous selection for all American.   He was ranked in the top ten of just about every pundit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

With which CB(s)?

 

Pretty much all of them.

 

Most Seahawks players use different tackling techniques than they did in college. Seahawks use rugby-style tackling, which is fairly rare at college level. NFL too, though its been gaining popularity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Seriously?  I thought you were a big ten guy.  Hooker was a unanimous selection for all American.   He was ranked in the top ten of just about every pundit 

I like the pick of Hooker very much. However, national awards have more to do with stats like 7 interceptions than they do with NFL prospectus. 

 

I agree with the Hooker pick, but it has absolutely nothing to do with college post-season awards. Johnny Manziel and Tim Tebow won Heisman's. There are many, many more examples in any of the awards voted on. College award winners have a relatively poor guarantee of any NFL success. Voters for college awards are not (or should not) be projecting to NFL prospects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

I like the pick of Hooker very much. However, national awards have more to do with stats like 7 interceptions than they do with NFL prospectus. 

 

I agree with the Hooker pick, but it has absolutely nothing to do with college post-season awards. Johnny Manziel and Tim Tebow won Heisman's. There are many, many more examples in any of the awards voted on. College award winners have a relatively poor guarantee of any NFL success. Voters for college awards are not (or should not) be projecting to NFL prospects.

Did you read the post I responded to?  He said he hasn't heard of hooker before the pick.  I wasn't suggesting awards mean success in the NFL.  However,  safeties transfer better to the nfl than most spread offense qbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Finball said:

 

Pretty much all of them.

 

Most Seahawks players use different tackling techniques than they did in college. Seahawks use rugby-style tackling, which is fairly rare at college level. NFL too, though its been gaining popularity.

Rugby-style? Inform me. When I have watched rugby, it is mostly in close quarters breaking out of a scrum. Not open field at all. Is it chest high tackling??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Did you read the post I responded to?  He said he hasn't heard of hooker before the pick.  I wasn't suggesting awards mean success in the NFL.  However,  safeties transfer better to the nfl than most spread offense qbs

I'm not convinced. There is not a specific safety award but the Jim Thorpe award for DBs hasn't translated particularly well.

 

2016 Adoree Jackson USC 46 Solo, 9 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 5 Int
2015 Desmond King* Iowa 46 Solo, 26 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 8 Int
2014 Gerod Holliman* Louisville 34 Solo, 10 Ast, 1.0 Sk, 14 Int
2013 Darqueze Dennard* Michigan State 32 Solo, 28 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 4 Int
2012 Johnthan Banks* Mississippi State 39 Solo, 24 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 4 Int
2011 Morris Claiborne* LSU 32 Solo, 19 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 6 Int
2010 Patrick Peterson* LSU 29 Solo, 13 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 4 Int
2009 Eric Berry* Tennessee 56 Solo, 31 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 2 Int
2008 Malcolm Jenkins* Ohio State 34 Solo, 23 Ast, 1.0 Sk, 3 Int
2007 Antoine Cason Arizona 57 Solo, 14 Ast, 1.0 Sk, 5 Int
2006 Aaron Ross* Texas 47 Solo, 10 Ast, 1.0 Sk, 6 Int
2005 Michael Huff* Texas 44 Solo, 43 Ast, 2.0 Sk, 1 Int
2004 Carlos Rogers* Auburn 2 Int, 53 Yds, 1 TD
2003 Derrick Strait* Oklahoma 3 Int, 127 Yds, 0 TD
2002 Terence Newman* Kansas State 5 Int, 21 Yds, 0 TD
2001 Roy Williams Oklahoma 2 FR, 25 Yds, 1 TD
2000 Jamar Fletcher Wisconsin 7 Int, 179 Yds, 0 TD
1999 Tyrone Carter* Minnesota

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

I'm not convinced. There is not a specific safety award but the Jim Thorpe award for DBs hasn't translated particularly well.

 

2016 Adoree Jackson USC 46 Solo, 9 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 5 Int
2015 Desmond King* Iowa 46 Solo, 26 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 8 Int
2014 Gerod Holliman* Louisville 34 Solo, 10 Ast, 1.0 Sk, 14 Int
2013 Darqueze Dennard* Michigan State 32 Solo, 28 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 4 Int
2012 Johnthan Banks* Mississippi State 39 Solo, 24 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 4 Int
2011 Morris Claiborne* LSU 32 Solo, 19 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 6 Int
2010 Patrick Peterson* LSU 29 Solo, 13 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 4 Int
2009 Eric Berry* Tennessee 56 Solo, 31 Ast, 0.0 Sk, 2 Int
2008 Malcolm Jenkins* Ohio State 34 Solo, 23 Ast, 1.0 Sk, 3 Int
2007 Antoine Cason Arizona 57 Solo, 14 Ast, 1.0 Sk, 5 Int
2006 Aaron Ross* Texas 47 Solo, 10 Ast, 1.0 Sk, 6 Int
2005 Michael Huff* Texas 44 Solo, 43 Ast, 2.0 Sk, 1 Int
2004 Carlos Rogers* Auburn 2 Int, 53 Yds, 1 TD
2003 Derrick Strait* Oklahoma 3 Int, 127 Yds, 0 TD
2002 Terence Newman* Kansas State 5 Int, 21 Yds, 0 TD
2001 Roy Williams Oklahoma 2 FR, 25 Yds, 1 TD
2000 Jamar Fletcher Wisconsin 7 Int, 179 Yds, 0 TD
1999 Tyrone Carter* Minnesota

A lot of those guys are corners

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

A lot of those guys are corners

OK. I prefaced by saying that there is no safety award. I did my best. It is all DBs.

 

Can you substantiate that safeties have translated better than DBs in general? So far it's just your proclamation? I have worked to support my view all you have done is nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

OK. I prefaced by saying that there is no safety award. I did my best. It is all DBs.

 

Can you substantiate that safeties have translated better than DBs in general? So far it's just your proclamation? I have worked to support my view all you have done is nothing.

I said they have a better success rate than spread offense qbs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

Rugby-style? Inform me. When I have watched rugby, it is mostly in close quarters breaking out of a scrum. Not open field at all. Is it chest high tackling??

 

No, hip high, target the upper thigh with the lead shoulder. 

 

Funny enough, Buckeyes and thus Hooker use that technique too, if I'm not mistaken.

 

http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/17538/rugby-style-tackling-continues-to-work-for-seahawks-defense

 

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/9/6/12341916/nfl-rugby-tackling-concussions-seahawks-falcons

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, backshoulderfade said:

Anyone watching on NFL Network? Mayock looking like a comic book super villain with that facial hair.

Normally, I get upset when Mike gets mocked, but I've gotta admit BSF, your post was accurate & very funny! 

 

It reminded me of the late Vincent Price actually. 

 

8dce218bb0df065d5c1c542a1a9595a9.jpg

 

 

hi-res-7aa0ffcf90ba398ef6112a763a1f9a52_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • NB;   I came into the series thinking Toronto is the better team but the results haven't show that until Tuesday. Brooke Lopez and Niko Mirotic ..George Hill? We love Hill in Indy but he's never done what he's doing for the Bucks.   Marc Gasol is a great player..I dont know why he was so shy and hesitant in the first two games. Player for player..Toronto should be winning
    • And here is the actual NFL draft profile that was alluded to,  but NOT linked.    I'm linking it.   And, Kelly had a solid draftable grade and was called a possible low-level starter.    So, clearly he might also be considered a decent back-up, which is all anyone is talking about here.   Kelly's profile.   Not a first rounder,  but not a camp body either.   Possible Brissett replacement in 2020 if he leaves.   http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/chad-kelly?id=2557869
    • The second part is correct(perceived pass threat usually makes opponents send less people in the box and create more advantageous run situations), the first part about having elite RB - I'm not sure about. I mean... sure... if you can just snap your fingers and have an elite RB for the same money and without spending premier assets ... sure... have at it. I'm not sure having elite RB is worth investing big asset(1st... maybe even 2nd round pick? or huge contract). Generally the factors by importance for your run game go something like this:   1. Quality of your OLine run blocking  2. Quality of your pass game   3. Quality of your running back   It's not "not important", but it's probably not worth the capital you need to invest in order to achieve it. 
    • I didn't form my opinion off of someone else's draft profile at NFL.com. I based it off of what I saw on film. And Peyton Manning laid a few eggs in college IIRC.
    • Sucks, but probably for the best honestly. He responded to the trolls and that only keeps them coming back. I wouldn't even have a twitter if I was a professional athlete honestly. Then again I don't have one even as a regular guy. I get actors/actresses having them to promote their brand and because fan popularity is so important there, but for athletes it only seems to be a distraction or downfall.
  • Members

    • CR91

      CR91 7,940

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jmac_48

      jmac_48 385

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • coltskane

      coltskane 880

      Senior Members
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ClaytonColt

      ClaytonColt 331

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • SteelCityColt

      SteelCityColt 6,871

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • cjrichard

      cjrichard 64

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • adubb84

      adubb84 228

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Narcosys

      Narcosys 1,684

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • stitches

      stitches 5,229

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • el duderino

      el duderino 61

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...