Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My pick: Derek Barnett

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I've danced around this for a while, but as of right now, two hours before the draft, and about four hours before the Colts pick, I'm all in on Derek Barnett! :)

What officially sold me is this: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/derek-barnett-nfl-draft-cover-letter/

Somewhere Chris Ballard just reached for a tissue. Lol

Seriously though that was an awesome letter. I think I can overlook the number of sentences he started with And and But and give him a chance with the colts.  

For what its worth (nothing) mayock has us getting Barnett in his mock. :)

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If he is still there.

Yeah, I'm not sure he will be. I'm hoping some of these shenanigans that are being rumored about RBs and QBs actually happen. If Trubisky, Watson and Mahomes go in the top 15, and if McCaffrey and Fournette both go, and if someone takes a chance on Foster and Allen (he's dropping far in recent mocks), Barnett might fall into our laps.

I think the Ballard-Harris love connection is real, though. Ballard probably watched this guy every Saturday for the last two years, probably knows his coaching staff closely, etc. I wouldn't mind Harris, but I feel like he's more of a #25 guy than a #15 guy, and if Barnett is gone and we trade back, Harris is a good consolation prize.

10 minutes ago, J@son said:

Somewhere Chris Ballard just reached for a tissue. Lol

Seriously though that was an awesome letter. I think I can overlook the number of sentences he started with And and But and give him a chance with the colts.  

For what its worth (nothing) mayock has us getting Barnett in his mock. :)

Good thing it's not an English paper, he'd have some serious red marks. Even missed a word once or twice.

I wonder what kind of editors the PT has...

Lets figure this out. If 2 QB's, 3 RB's, 1 WR, 1 TE and 1 O-Lineman go before us, that's 8 players there. That leaves 6 defensive players. Myles Garrett, Jamal Adams, Jonathan Allen, Malik Hooker, Marshon Lattimore, and Solomon Thomas. 

He can reach us with a bit of Luck, and another CB could easily go as well. There's some wiggle room.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Lets figure this out. If 2 QB's, 3 RB's, 1 WR, 1 TE and 1 O-Lineman go before us, that's 8 players there. That leaves 6 defensive players. Myles Garrett, Jamal Adams, Jonathan Allen, Malik Hooker, Marshon Lattimore, and Solomon Thomas. 

He can reach us with a bit of Luck, and another CB could easily go as well. There's some wiggle room.

It's hard to see an OL going ahead of us. You left out Foster (understandable) and Reddick (I think he's up there).

Just now, Superman said:

It's hard to see an OL going ahead of us. You left out Foster (understandable) and Reddick (I think he's up there).

Reddick I'm on the fence about. You could easily replace the OL with Reddick though and it still works out to get Barnett. So it's definitely possible.

Barnett is someone I don't want. I don't think he can play olb in a 3-4. Looks too stiff. His 4.88 40 and 1.7 10 yard split is a concern for me as well. He did have a lot of production at TN but seems like he relies on the same dip move around the edge. 

11 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

With how much Ballard and Pagano want speed on defense I can't see Barnett being the pick. If they go pass rusher round 1 I think it'll be either Charles Harris or Takk McKinley.

More than anything they want guys who can do their job.
Barnett can be highly effective against the run and pressuring the QB.
 With a high durability factor.

45 minutes ago, Superman said:

I've danced around this for a while, but as of right now, two hours before the draft, and about four hours before the Colts pick, I'm all in on Derek Barnett! :)

What officially sold me is this: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/derek-barnett-nfl-draft-cover-letter/

Holy crap, that was inspirational as hell. DRAFT HIM!  No but really, I never thought too much of him, just someone who was another top prospect, but that shows me something about him that you don't see in all people nowadays: confidence and a great upbringing with work ethic. I hope the best for him so he can give back to his mom. I'm sure that's on the top of his ToDo list. 

7 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

My question for you @Superman. Do you think he can be a dominant edge player? Or just a pretty good one?

I think he can be a Brian Orakpo level player. But not hurt, diminished Orakpo... full strength, game changing Orakpo. I think his floor is Derrick Morgan -- not great, but a serviceable player/starter.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think he can be a Brian Orakpo level player. But not hurt, diminished Orakpo... full strength, game changing Orakpo. I think his floor is Derrick Morgan -- not great, but a serviceable player/starter.

Thanks for your thoughts. I think he has fantastic hands, and is good enough vs the run to play the SAM. But I don't think he can play in coverage to often.

If he can be a perennial 8-10 sack guy like Orakpo, that would be nice.

4 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

Thanks for your thoughts. I think he has fantastic hands, and is good enough vs the run to play the SAM. But I don't think he can play in coverage to often.

If he can be a perennial 8-10 sack guy like Orakpo, that would be nice.

I see him as a Rush backer. He shouldn't be in coverage more than 10% of the time. 

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Never seen him play, but his combine numbers aren't overly impressive....other than his 3 cone drill.

anyone know where fits on the metric chart Dustin posted couple yrs ago?

Yeah, his Combine doesn't wow me. I think his ability is obvious on film, and his technique is impressive.

The guy who publishes the force player stuff does not consider Barnett to be a force player. More and more, I'm off of his ratings. He's not giving me enough info to really consider his stuff legit. But in the case of Barnett, with a slow 40 and nothing special in the broad and vertical, it's not surprising.

Because of a letter he wrote he sold you?? Hahaha wow thats pretty rediculous. Been saying this forever I hate this pick. Not only is he a terrible scheme fit he's so overrated. Everyone loves his bend(which is average) but what counter moves does he have? How effective will he be with that much space to cover while setting an edge. One of the few picks that would leave me very disappointed tonight. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Yeah, his Combine doesn't wow me. I think his ability is obvious on film, and his technique is impressive.

The guy who publishes the force player stuff does not consider Barnett to be a force player. More and more, I'm off of his ratings. He's not giving me enough info to really consider his stuff legit. But in the case of Barnett, with a slow 40 and nothing special in the broad and vertical, it's not surprising.

Yoooo really? That Trent Murphy comparison made me cringe so hard. How do you want him? Your opinion, I'll leave it alone

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Me too, Barnett or Harris depending on availability.

5 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Yoooo really? That Trent Murphy comparison made me cringe so hard. How do you want him? Your opinion, I'll leave it alone

Stylistically maybe. He is, in my opinion, the most polished pass rusher to come out for as long as I can remember.

He has a loaded tool box as a pass rusher, the most powerful hands in the draft and has good snap anticipation to offset the lack of explosion. Also, he can bend like Von Miller.

He isn't my #1, but he is a good player and a lot better than Murphy.

7 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Because of a letter he wrote he sold you?? Hahaha wow thats pretty rediculous. Been saying this forever I hate this pick. Not only is he a terrible scheme fit he's so overrated. Everyone loves his bend(which is average) but what counter moves does he have? How effective will he be with that much space to cover while setting an edge. One of the few picks that would leave me very disappointed tonight. 

This is such an extremely nonsensical post. 

2 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

Stylistically maybe. He is, in my opinion, the most polished pass rusher to come out for as long as I can remember.

He has a loaded tool box as a pass rusher, the most powerful hands in the draft and has good snap anticipation to offset the lack of explosion.

I agree he's worlds better then Murphy. 

I just don't see that tool box on film. I'm definitely not on board with him having the strongest hands Garrett, Thomas, I'd argue Takk is a better hand fighter then Barrnet. He's really not even the best pass rusher in this class, IMO he's probably sitting around 3-4 best rusher, if Takk was healthy he'd 4sure be ahead of him. 

Just now, Tmoney said:

I agree he's worlds better then Murphy. 

I just don't see that tool box on film. I'm definitely not on board with him having the strongest hands Garrett, Thomas, I'd argue Takk is a better hand fighter then Barrnet. He's really not even the best pass rusher in this class, IMO he's probably sitting around 3-4 best rusher, if Takk was healthy he'd 4sure be ahead of him. 

Garrett maybe with the better hands. I don't think Takk has hands in the samw universe as Barnett. I don't think he is a particularly good rusher from a technical stand point either. That's just me though.

With Thomas, I find it hard to judge him as an edge player with him playing primarily inside at Stanford.

2 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

He has a loaded tool box as a pass rusher, the most powerful hands in the draft and has good snap anticipation to offset the lack of explosion.

I am no one but I would be fine with him.  Everyone in the draft can be picked apart, hell they are only a few years removed from HS.  

The letter he wrote is nice and all, but it is just his sales pitch, although he does seem motivated within his words in the letter and on the field.

We can't get lost in the idea that whoever we draft is going to make an instant difference and realize that they all will need time to develop.  Doesn't mean there won't be some exciting play and results at times, just that all of them will need a lot of coaching (hope we have the right people for that).  Even Myles will need some tuning up.  

Lucky for us this is, according to the pros, a deep draft which makes me feel like it would be pretty hard to make a bad pick.... barring something completely stupid.  I really just hope it is defense.... I mean it has to be right?

1 minute ago, backshoulderfade said:

Garrett maybe with the better hands. I don't think Takk has hands in the samw universe as Barnett. I don't think he is a particularly good rusher from a technical stand point either. That's just me though.

With Thomas, I find it hard to judge him as an edge player with him playing primarily inside at Stanford.

Straight power in the hands I think Takk would give Barnett a run for his money. Takk is super raw and has almost no technique so Dereks hands are all around better RN. Hard to get a feel of how he'll play on the edge but talking pure power punches Solomons hands I'd argue are the Strongest in the class.