Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts trade up for McCaffrey?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL. Yeah. As good as he is, and could be we're gonna trade up for a white RB, who'll probably end up being used as a slot WR, a scatback, and a bit of everything. It would be a waste of a pick when the best back in the class is gonna be sitting there in the 2-3 range.

I personally don't want to trade-up for McCaffrey, or any other player in this draft from where we are.

We are NOT one key player away from being a great team.      We are LOTS of key players away.    We need all he picks we can get.      

That's why we're linked/picked to be a team trading DOWN,  not UP.

Can't believe the number of posters who play the race card by noting McCaffrey is white.

His skin color may be white,  but his game isn't.

His tape says otherwise,  and so does his athletic testing.

If McCaffrey disappoints, or is even a bust,  it won't be because he's white,  it'll either be because he gets hurt or because he's not used properly.      It won't be because he's white.....

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Can't believe the number of posters who play the race card by noting McCaffrey is white.

If McCaffrey disappoints, or is even a bust,  it won't be because he's white,  it'll either be because he gets hurt or because he's not used properly.      It won't be because he's white.....

It's truly amazing.

12 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

So if he wasn't white he wouldn't sell jerseys? I'm not sure what race has to do with it or why it always gets brought up. I'm sure Fournette and Cook would also sell a ton of jerseys in Indy....

Fans love the smallish White skill position players. See Blair White and Griff Whalen lol.  No biggie. 

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

"His game isn't"???  Racist

i kid

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Is that in response to me? Because my discussion had nothing to do with him busting or not being talented/athletic. It was about selling jerseys. And I contend that he would sell a hell of a lot of Colts jerseys...moreso than any other RB...and probably even moreso than any other possible 1st round pick. And yes, part of that is because he's a white RB/WR from Stanford...a powerful combo of novelty and symmetry. 

But I don't want to offend anybody...so let's just say he would sell jerseys because he's a "unique and interesting talent." Which he is...but for different reasons to people...who would ultimately be buying those jerseys. 

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Yet no one said he would lead in Jersey sales.

What are you talking about?

"So many people would own his jersey if the Colts drafted him, I don't think there is any question"  is the quote.

Why point out McCaffrey's potential jersey sales unless its to compare it to Cook's, or Davis', or any other players jersey sales and imply it would be more?

Why would it be more if each player played like the 15th pick in the draft?

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

McCaffrey is a white RB...who also happened to go to Stanford. He will sell a ton of jerseys in Indy.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

Fans love the smallish White skill position players. See Blair White and Griff Whalen lol.  No biggie. 

Really? You all bringing out the race card? Are you all going nuts or something?!

32 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Really? You all bringing out the race card? Are you all going nuts or something?!

Race card?

You think Yuo Ming sold a lot of jerseys in the Chinese community strictly off his basketball skill?

and I'm sure the love and loyalty shown to Micheal Vick in ATL had nothing to do with him being a succesful black QB.

Not that big of deal.

2 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

Possibly, but it wouldn't be because he is white and they aren't...which was my point.

And if being white was a factor, he'd sell only as many jersey's as Griff Whalen did if he stinks and was overdrafted.  And if he is good, he'll never be as good or as popular as Luck, so Luck's jersey's will suck up all of the white people's money.

It could possibly be like when Dallas Clark sold a few jerseys relative to Peyton.  But that only happened after Clark turned out to be good.

59 minutes ago, csmopar said:

This whole thing is nuts. He would obviously be a popular player in Indy right out of the gate. Apparently, you can't point out the novelty of a white RB who could be a top 10 pick...as if it's something that happens every year. 

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And if being white was a factor, he'd sell only as many jersey's as Griff Whalen did if he stinks and was overdrafted.  And if he is good, he'll never be as good or as popular as Luck, so Luck's jersey's will suck up all of the white people's money.

It could possibly be like when Dallas Clark sold a few jerseys relative to Peyton.  But that only happened after Clark turned out to be good.

Luck's jersey has been sold for five years now...so many people have already bought it. And many people buy more than one jersey. Outside of TY, the Colts probably don't have many current guys who are selling a ton of jerseys right now...so he is also has that going for him.

I never said CM would lead the team in jersey sales...just that he would sell a lot of jerseys. And I struggle to think of another player in round 1 (unless Garrett somehow made it to #15) who would sell more right out of the gate.

10 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Luck's jersey has been sold for five years now...so many people have already bought it. And many people buy more than one jersey. Outside of TY, the Colts probably don't have many current guys who are selling a ton of jerseys right now...so he is also has that going for him.

I never said CM would lead the team in jersey sales...just that he would sell a lot of jerseys. And I struggle to think of another player in round 1 (unless Garrett somehow made it to #15) who would sell more right out of the gate.

To be clear, I never said anybody said CM would lead the team in jersey sales, nor did I say that he would.  I'm not sure where that came from.

Anyway, its a discussion about nothing at this point for me.

Seriously guys. Who cares about how many jerseys he would sell? I mean. That's just dumb LOL. I just care about getting a great, superstar caliber player tonight. I could care less about how many people buy his jersey. And like I said above. trading up for McCaffrey would be so incredibly stupid this forum should explode. And we also wont do it.

18 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Seriously guys. Who cares about how many jerseys he would sell? I mean. That's just dumb LOL. I just care about getting a great, superstar caliber player tonight. I could care less about how many people buy his jersey. And like I said above. trading up for McCaffrey would be so incredibly stupid this forum should explode. And we also wont do it.

If we traded up for McCaffrey, I wouldn't watch football this year, that's how much of a disaster it would be. Basically a better Darren Sproles that this coaching staff would misuse anyway.

I'd rather take Curtis Samuel later on, who can do everything McCaffery can. Samuel put up close to what McCaffery did with ~120 less touches last year. Samuel is a bigger version of Tyrek Hill, valuable in all 3 phases, and won't cost us a top pick, as he probably won't go until Saturday. 

Just now, BleedBlu8792 said:

I'd rather take Curtis Samuel later on, who can do everything McCaffery can. Samuel put up close to what McCaffery did with ~120 less touches. Samuel is a bigger version of Tyrek Hill, valuable in all 3 phases, and won't cost us a top pick. 

Just now, BleedBlu8792 said:

I'd rather take Curtis Samuel later on, who can do everything McCaffery can. Samuel put up close to what McCaffery did with ~120 less touches. Samuel is a bigger version of Tyrek Hill, valuable in all 3 phases, and won't cost us a top pick. 

Samuel in the 3rd would be fine, especially if we traded down and got an additional 3rd, then he'd be a nice utility player with medium risk/high reward. Not breaking the bank on McCaffrey.

I don't care much about the comments  about Jersey sales.....          

What-Freaking-Ever!!

But I do care about the comments implying McCaffrey won't be successful simply because he's white.

How is that different from saying that a quarterback can't be successful if he's white.    And while that's not said very much anymore,  in my lifetime (I'm now 60) that was a commonly held belief.     

You judge on talent and character,  not skin.

As I've said in other posts,  if McCaffrey disappoints, or is even a flat-out bust,  it won't be because he's white.   It'll be because he's hurt or is used badly.

Come on now....

from watching the tape, one really big difference between mccaffrey and samuel is that mccaffrey can make much quicker, sharper cuts. Samuel is much more straight linish, in fact, it makes it look like he plays slower than the 4.3 time he ran at the combine.

Mccaffrey's feet are unreal.

21 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Yeah, I'm not seeing the "overvalued" aspect of his game. It's very debatable whether or not the Colts should trade up for him, no doubt about that, but overrated or overvalued aren't the words I'd use to describe his skillset.

Honestly I just see him as a 3rd down back.  You ask him to take it between the tackles too many times he's going to leave the field on a stretcher.  

He has the build of a WR to me.  And actually given his athletic ability I think he'd make a fine WR.  

22 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Honestly I just see him as a 3rd down back.  You ask him to take it between the tackles too many times he's going to leave the field on a stretcher.  

He has the build of a WR to me.  And actually given his athletic ability I think he'd make a fine WR.  

Did you watch stanford at all the last two years?  He was their offense.  Lots of carries and catches and returns.   His durability hasn't been an issue.  I just don't like first round rbs .  Their careers are usually short across the board

36 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

he has a really similar build and play style to julian edleman

it wasnt really clear what position (if any) eldeman would play coming out of college either, but he fit in pretty well at slot reciever

it will be interesting to see what happens with CM.