Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Draft trade Value Charts -Bogus!

Here's snippets from a Free article by Chris Landry -

"Undoubtedly, you have read one of the many draft trade charts on the internet and it is quite comical hearing pundits in the media talk about what trade value is when they have never step inside of a draft room. And, adding to the confusion is that fans believe this nonsense and the result is an ignorant fan and media base."

" ... my intent is not to embarrass those who have no experience or knowledge on the topic  ... "

"

While operating drafts for decades, I was responsible for handling all trade matters, which included determining the proper value for trades.

First of all, draft trades have been calculated for years long before the Cowboys publicly took credit for their numerical chart that is the genesis of the one you see on line today."

"Essentially, the chart attempts to quantify the value of each pick, with the No. 1 pick valued at 3,000 points, the No. 10 pick at 1,300 points and just 100 points for the No. 100 pick.

Want to trade from No. 10 to No. 8? Well, the No. 8 pick is worth 1,400 points and No. 10 is worth 1,300 points so an early fourth-round pick worth about 100 points should do the trick.

The problem with this is that draft picks themselves are ..."

See the rest of this article here and give your thoughts...

https://landryfootball.com/explaining-draft-trade-charts-read-online-bogus-free/

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

I do agree that when people preach the value charts as if their gospel, they're missing the point. Yet, for the most part, trades for picks only seem to come close to the published charts most of the time. 

I believe this to be the case for real teams, not as much mocks form media and fans.  The reason I believe is this.  Teams making draft day trades don't disclose players.  What happens is team A wants to trade up.  they find Team B that has an interest in trading down.  But team B wont trade down unless their player(s) targeted goes off the board before their pick.  Thus, they have determined plan B guys targeted later in the round and (at least one of them) will be there even dropping down a few slots to team A's round 1 slot. Team A says ok,  if your round 1 guy is gone, and our round 1 guy is still on the board at your pick, we'll  trade you our round 1 for  your round one, and also give you  _______.

This is where the depth of the draft of similar graded players comes in.  If the draft contains , say 51 round 2 graded players, and  another 38 players grouped tight with high to low round 3 graded players, then an early round 4 pick would very likely get one of them, and thus a round 4 pick might satisfy the extra compensation.  With less talent per round, it takes a higher extra draft pick to satisfy the trade. maybe a round 3 pick.  But names aren't divulged, just terms.  then see how it plays out from there whether a trade is on, or fails.  So it may or may not follow the value chart, but because team know the grade and value of players where they'll likely land, not necessarily the value of draft slots.

Author: "Using the draft trade chart to vlaue picks results in ignorant fan and media base."

*Proceeds to use the draft trade chart to analyze value of draft picks*

EDIT: BTW, I really get the point he is making - the chart is the starting point, points vary year-to-year depending on your grades on all the players.  I just thought it was a little comical that he used it at all.