Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gareon Conley accused of sexual assault (edit)

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

I never said he was guilty, hence the "potentially". I was actually talking to my girlfriend about this earlier and her first reaction was "that's really convenient timing..." These are murky situations and a first time GM is not going to draft a guy with a situation like this that will most likely not be resolved by draft day.

OK. Say he's not guilty of anything, and we pass on him in the 4th RD. He turns into a pro bowler. Then what? Is it really worth taking that chance and passing on a top 15 talent in the mid RD's??? We have a shot to bring in 3-5 1st RD caliber players because of all this mess. In our situation we need to take advantage of it. We need an infusion of young talent. And I seriously doubt anything comes of this personally.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

OK. Say he's not guilty of anything, and we pass on him in the 4th RD. He turns into a pro bowler. Then what? Is it really worth taking that chance and passing on a top 15 talent in the mid RD's??? We have a shot to bring in 3-5 1st RD caliber players because of all this mess. In our situation we need to take advantage of it. We need an infusion of young talent. And I seriously doubt anything comes of this personally.

Let's say he's found guilty? The Colts are the team that drafted a rapist, which would be a PR nightmare and a wasted pick. If you're only looking at on-field talent, your approach is perfect. In reality, you're negating everything else: PR backlash, potentially wasted draft pick, chemistry issues in the locker room, etc.

26 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

It's a gamble and the collateral is much higher even if there just a 30% of he begin guilty so we have to wait and see the talent is there, i 'm pretty sure a lot of teams are researching and maybe they are gonna draft him with some information.

I smell a huge rat.

Whenever you see a headline, story, or words like "police are investigating John Doe for _____", it is codespeak for "not having enough evidence to arrest or charge, just hoping to throw mud and hope it sticks."

Basically being "investigated" for rape without being arrested or charged. Sounds like someone's ex is highly loco, ala Nick Harper.

9 hours ago, NFLfan said:

What does all this have to do with a player being accused of rape two days before the draft? This makes no sense. 

Nothing directly at Conley AFAIK.  Its part of a longer conversation spanning a few threads that drifts into bigger issues.  I'm done with it here.

6 hours ago, rock8591 said:

I smell a huge rat.

Whenever you see a headline, story, or words like "police are investigating John Doe for _____", it is codespeak for "not having enough evidence to arrest or charge, just hoping to throw mud and hope it sticks."

Basically being "investigated" for rape without being arrested or charged. Sounds like someone's ex is highly loco, ala Nick Harper.

Yep. That's why I'm defending him. He's gonna lose millions because of this.

Just please steal this kid in the mid RD's Ballard!!!!!! PLEASE. For the sake of our team. Now we no longer have to draft a CB early. We can get 2 of the top 5 corners in this class in the 3-4 range. Gareon Conley and Jourdan Lewis. 2 day 1 starters, and Conley would come in and become our number 1 IMO.

40 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Just please steal this kid in the mid RD's Ballard!!!!!! PLEASE. For the sake of our team. Now we no longer have to draft a CB early. We can get 2 of the top 5 corners in this class in the 3-4 range. Gareon Conley and Jourdan Lewis. 2 day 1 starters, and Conley would come in and become our number 1 IMO.

He won't be drafted unless he is cleared of the charges by tomorrow

10 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

There's a difference. conley and Gordon have completely different issues. So Conley most likely isn't going to have any continuous issues like Gordon. This is more of a 1 time thing from my point of view as its two totally different things. Same with Mixon. Williams would be more of a concern IMO, but I believe in 2nd chances, and I believe kids can change. Grow up and figure things out.

Right, and my point is, if you take too many of those guys, the law of averages says you will lose some of them - maybe more often than not, maybe not.  I have no idea whether Conley will have a continuous issue, neither do you.  But if you take Conley, Mixon, Peppers, and Foster all in the same draft, it might look sexy on paper, but chances are you're going to lose some of those guys for related reasons and you dont' want to look back and be like, man, we lost our 2nd and 3rd round picks because the guy didn't have the mental wherewithal to keep his life in order.  

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Right, and my point is, if you take too many of those guys, the law of averages says you will lose some of them - maybe more often than not, maybe not.  I have no idea whether Conley will have a continuous issue, neither do you.  But if you take Conley, Mixon, Peppers, and Foster all in the same draft, it might look sexy on paper, but chances are you're going to lose some of those guys for related reasons and you dont' want to look back and be like, man, we lost our 2nd and 3rd round picks because the guy didn't have the mental wherewithal to keep his life in order.  

Foster and Peppers didn't even fail the tests. It was just "diluted" Conley probably didn't even do anything, and Mixon did, but he was a kid. Young and stupid and seems to have grown up and learned from it. But how do you pass on top 20 talents in the mid RD's when the other guys available with actual mid RD grades probably wont turn out to be anything.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Probably, but IMO a 4th RD pick is worth the risk. Reward outweighs the risk by 10 million miles. We're talking about a top tier, top 15ish talent here. And assuming he didn't do anything, we get a number 1 corner, basically for free. If he goes undrafted we probably wont even get him. And like I said. I seriously doubt he did anything. This seems like a setup IMO.

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

Foster and Peppers didn't even fail the tests. It was just "diluted" Conley probably didn't even do anything, and Mixon did, but he was a kid. Young and stupid and seems to have grown up and learned from it. But how do you pass on top 20 talents in the mid RD's when the other guys available with actual mid RD grades probably wont turn out to be anything.

Diluted doesn't mean innocent either.  Conely may have not done anything, but he might have.  The point is, you don't know, and because you don't know, it's an added risk similar to injuries.  You could wake up to a call one morning that your player was arrested for whatever.  There's enough stories of guys who had problems in college that spilled into their NFL career, so I don't need to go at length to it.  Point is, it's a risk.  And the more high risk guys you take, the higher your chances of losing them for those sorts of reasons.  That's all it is, risk analysis.

3 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Probably, but IMO a 4th RD pick is worth the risk. Reward outweighs the risk by 10 million miles. We're talking about a top tier, top 15ish talent here. And assuming he didn't do anything, we get a number 1 corner, basically for free. If he goes undrafted we probably wont even get him. And like I said. I seriously doubt he did anything. This seems like a setup IMO.

Taking risks on guys like Conley and Mixon in the 4th round is okay - despite my comment above.  My concern is taking them with picks where you should be filling in with starters on Day 1 and Day 2.  Mixon, teams have had time to investigate.  Conley they haven't.  The risk cannot be calculated at this time.

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

Diluted doesn't mean innocent either.  Conely may have not done anything, but he might have.  The point is, you don't know, and because you don't know, it's an added risk similar to injuries.  You could wake up to a call one morning that your player was arrested for whatever.  There's enough stories of guys who had problems in college that spilled into their NFL career, so I don't need to go at length to it.  Point is, it's a risk.  And the more high risk guys you take, the higher your chances of losing them for those sorts of reasons.  That's all it is, risk analysis.

So you're better off gambling on a lower rated player in the mid rounds? A player who probably wont ever be an impact player? We have 3 4th's. We might get lucky to get a star with 1, and that's if we're lucky. So why not gamble on Conley, Lewis, and say Brantley with those 3 picks? Or a kid like Anzalone who's had injury issues, but when healthy has the potential to be a star caliber ILB.

So you're better off gambling on a lower rated player in the mid rounds? A player who probably wont ever be an impact player? We have 3 4th's. We might get lucky to get a star with 1, and that's if we're lucky. So why not gamble on Conley, Lewis, and say Brantley with those 3 picks? Or a kid like Anzalone who's had injury issues, but when healthy has the potential to be a star caliber ILB.

See my comment above.  I'm okay with taking risks on guys who I can't project their career because their decision making ability off the field is in question.  The question is simply how much am I willing to pay. If this had happened to Conley in December, I might be able to do enough digging on the incident to be comfortable taking him on Day 2.  That's where I am at with Mixon.  I think with what is out there, I'd be comfortable taking him in round 2, certainly round 3.  With Conley, I don't know anything.  I've learned my lessons on impulse buying and taking Conley on Day 1 or 2 would be tantamount to an impulse buy.  Day 3, his price is low enough to justify the risk.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Reminds me of the Lael Collins situation.  Collins was so sure that he didn't do anything wrong and would be cleared that he gave teams an ultimatum of drafting him before round 3.  

It will be interesting to see if Conley's agent says anything at all.

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Polian said that the percentage of kids with problems going into the draft that end up playing in the NFL in any material way is very low. 

Just now, COLTS449 said:

Specific to Conley, you don't gamble on rape. It's not one of those stupid mistakes that college kids make. Innocent or guilty, it's a serious accusation. Plus your whole basis for your argument about character guys is flawed. All of what you're saying only makes sense if all players are innocent and never have problems in the NFL. The only way it'd be "worth the risk " is if there was legal proof beforehand that all were 100% innocent and all accusations were completely false.

The fact that Brantley is accused of having knocked a woman out and Conley is being investigated for rape but all you can think about is how the Colts can get some steals in the later rounds is rather disturbing. 

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Polian said that the percentage of kids with problems going into the draft that end up playing in the NFL in any material way is very low. 

Which is why I'm okay with using Day 3 picks.  The later the better of course.  The fact of the matter is, I do believe kids can turn their lives around.  Sometimes people are just evil, and others just need a support system around them.  In any wlak of life, you take risks, some are worth the risk, some are not.  This is no different.  I wouldn't say take all high risk, high reward players with Day 3 picks, but taking one isn't going to kill you, particularly when guys that are drafted Day 3 have a low chance of doing much of anything in the NFL anyway.  1 high reward/high risk player and 3 depth/special teams guys is not a bad haul.

When it comes to cases like Conley, the fact of the matter is, there are plenty of men who do despicable things like rape.  But there are also plenty of women who do despicable things like scream rape for a pay day. We'll see.

31 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

See my comment above.  I'm okay with taking risks on guys who I can't project their career because their decision making ability off the field is in question.  The question is simply how much am I willing to pay. If this had happened to Conley in December, I might be able to do enough digging on the incident to be comfortable taking him on Day 2.  That's where I am at with Mixon.  I think with what is out there, I'd be comfortable taking him in round 2, certainly round 3.  With Conley, I don't know anything.  I've learned my lessons on impulse buying and taking Conley on Day 1 or 2 would be tantamount to an impulse buy.  Day 3, his price is low enough to justify the risk.

I'm saying take him in the 4th. Not the 1-3 range.

7 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Which is why I'm okay with using Day 3 picks.  The later the better of course.  The fact of the matter is, I do believe kids can turn their lives around.  Sometimes people are just evil, and others just need a support system around them.  In any wlak of life, you take risks, some are worth the risk, some are not.  This is no different.  I wouldn't say take all high risk, high reward players with Day 3 picks, but taking one isn't going to kill you, particularly when guys that are drafted Day 3 have a low chance of doing much of anything in the NFL anyway.  1 high reward/high risk player and 3 depth/special teams guys is not a bad haul.

When it comes to cases like Conley, the fact of the matter is, there are plenty of men who do despicable things like rape.  But there are also plenty of women who do despicable things like scream rape for a pay day. We'll see.

The only thing about Conley's situation that is different is that if he did it, he's got jail time and playing in the NFL is impossible.

If he didn't do it, then he really doesn't have a problem to begin with, so the stats Polian is talking about really wouldn't apply to him.

Taking him on day 3 is simply gambling on the idea that he will be cleared of the charges.  If he is, I don't see a lingering problem or even much of a PR issue if there are no questions about his innocence.  He'd be an innocent kid who simply made a poor choice of who to be around one night.

29 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Specific to Conley, you don't gamble on rape. It's not one of those stupid mistakes that college kids make. Innocent or guilty, it's a serious accusation. Plus your whole basis for your argument about character guys is flawed. All of what you're saying only makes sense if all players are innocent and never have problems in the NFL. The only way it'd be "worth the risk " is if there was legal proof beforehand that all were 100% innocent and all accusations were completely false.

The fact that Brantley is accused of having knocked a woman out and Conley is being investigated for rape but all you can think about is how the Colts can get some steals in the later rounds is rather disturbing. 

Its not that. I don't think Conley even did this from what I've read.

But any man who actually rapes a woman should be beat to a pulp IMO. But again. Don't think he did it. Its pretty shady man. Anybody can be accused of anything.

35 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

He's not been arrested. He's never had any issues. People there WHO DID NOT KNOW HIM said he didn't do it, one being a woman!!!. She refused to talk to the cops. If there were evidence he did this....He would have been arrested. IMO. Its a setup by some chick who got mad at him. I'm telling you right now. This kid is being set up by this chick. Wait and see. Pretty sad. But nope even though the FACTS STRONGLY point to him being innocent he's being treated like he's guilty. Wait on this and I would bet anything nothing comes of it.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The only thing about Conley's situation that is different is that if he did it, he's got jail time and playing in the NFL is impossible.

If he didn't do it, then he really doesn't have a problem to begin with, so the stats Polian is talking about really wouldn't apply to him.

Taking him on day 3 is simply gambling on the idea that he will be cleared of the charges.  If he is, I don't see a lingering problem or even much of a PR issue if there are no questions about his innocence.  He'd be an innocent kid who simply made a poor choice of who to be around one night.

Read my post above and look at the facts thus far. He didn't do it.

35 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I don't think it's a matter if the Colts would be better off if they picked Conley in the 4th vs a nobody for example.  Ballard probably isn't going to deal with the pr nightmare of a player who has an incredibly bad allegation against him that hasn't been resolved, his first year as a GM (not like that would even make a difference).  Most likely a no go even if Irsay allowed it.  I don't know if Irsay has automatically pulled him from the Colts boards if Conley was on it.

I think he would be down to take risk.  I could see Foster, Peppers, Mixon and others, but the allegations albeit how fishy they seem against Conley, are most likely going to completely screw him out of the draft.  

I'm sure he's already 100% wiped off many boards, most likely Ballards board also.  Do I know??  Heck no, I just have a gut feeling that Ballard isn't going to deal with the media/pr storm of taking him.  Not really sure who would be willing to deal with the PR nightmare, Dallas maybe lol???

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

It is a gamble and reading the police report is only one side of the story. The good news is, there are witnesses. The bad news is, the girl went there by herself.

I dont see this really going anywhere, but settlement because he sai she said cases are hard to prove with the only witesses on the defendants side. A rape kit could reveal interourse, but not necessarily rape. The fact it remained private for so long (which is most unusual) tells me the girl wanted to keep it private too. Its hard to ignore the thought that the higher he gets drafted, the more he gets paid mightve been a thought that crossed her mind. But then again, she could just want to avoid the attention. Impossible to say.

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

It is a gamble and reading the police report is only one side of the story. The good news is, there are witnesses. The bad news is, the girl went there by herself.

I dont see this really going anywhere, but settlement because he sai she said cases are hard to prove with the only witesses on the defendants side. A rape kit could reveal interourse, but not necessarily rape. The fact it remained private for so long (which is most unusual) tells me the girl wanted to keep it private too. Its hard to ignore the thought that the higher he gets drafted, the more he gets paid mightve been a thought that crossed her mind. But then again, she could just want to avoid the attention. Impossible to say.

One thing that may screw him over a bit is if he stated nothing happened then retracts and comes out saying something did happen.  Like even if they did just hook up for example.  

He's not been arrested. He's never had any issues. People there WHO DID NOT KNOW HIM said he didn't do it, one being a woman!!!. She refused to talk to the cops. If there were evidence he did this....He would have been arrested. IMO. Its a setup by some chick who got mad at him. I'm telling you right now. This kid is being set up by this chick. Wait and see. Pretty sad. But nope even though the FACTS STRONGLY point to him being innocent he's being treated like he's guilty. Wait on this and I would bet anything nothing comes of it.

None of that is for you to determine. It doesn't matter what the facts strongly point to. The only thing that matters is the ultimate outcome of the investigation as to whether he is innocent or guilty. Unfortunately we probably won't know that until after the draft.

You're letting personal feelings and opinions get in the way of logic. Logically no team is going to draft him unless it's all cleared before tomorrow. We know this because we saw it play out like that with Collins. NFL teams will not just change their strategy because Collins turned out to be innocent. It will be the same scenario.

What you think personally (or what any of us think) doesn't matter quite frankly. No one is treating him like he's guilty. People are rightfully exercising extreme caution. You can be mad all you want that the Colts don't even spend a mid round pick on him, but that's what's going to happen. Every team will pass and only silly, uninformed fans like yourself will really get mad at the team GM for doing so.

33 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Wow. Everybody's worried about PR and not the facts that point to him being falsely accused LOL. This kid is being set up. Look at the facts. He's a good kid.

Tell me everything you can about his personality?

have seen multiple verified acc on twitter saying he has been set up because he kicked the girl out... pathetic on her part and if true i think women should start getting max sentences for falsely accusing. Man trying to make something of himself two days before the draft and she pulls something like this 

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Tell me everything you can about his personality?

Oh well I've known him since he was a little one riding bicycles with the neighbor kids, and tossing the football. lmao come on man. The kids never been in any trouble. He's been considered one of the safer picks in this draft.

Just now, COLTS449 said:

Oh well I've known him since he was a little one riding bicycles with the neighbor kids, and tossing the football. lmao come on man. The kids never been in any trouble. He's been considered one of the safer picks in this draft.

Lots of people have never been in trouble,  It doesn't make them a good person.   

10 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

have seen multiple verified acc on twitter saying he has been set up because he kicked the girl out... pathetic on her part and if true i think women should start getting max sentences for falsely accusing. Man trying to make something of himself two days before the draft and she pulls something like this 

THANK YOU. This is an innocent kid being screwed over. But here's when I get REAL. And say what others may think, but wont say. His only fault here was messing with some skank 3-4 days before the draft. SETUP.

BUT. If he did this, which he didn't. But say he did. I hope he gets beat to a pulp, then sent to prison and gets raped himself.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Naive response.  By definition in the Collective Bargaining Agreement of the NFL, they did fail. ([positive result)

I addition, I got this-

"WASH YOURSELF OUT: The general strategy for passing urine tests is to increase your fluid intake and urine flow so as to dilute the concentration of drugs in the sample below the threshold of detection. An hour or two before the test, you should fill your bladder with fluids - as much as you can drink. Water is fine - contrary to popular rumor, there is NO evidence that goldenseal, vinegar, niacin, or vitamin C help. However, high-dosage aspirin may reduce the sensitivity of the EMIT urine test for pot (only). Many people wash themselves out for several days in advance by drinking a lot and exercising, but there is no reason to think this is useful. In no case should you give your first urine of the morning, since drug metabolites tend to build up during your sleep.

While you're loading up on water before the test, you may also want to take a large dose (50-100 milligrams) of vitamin B-2, available in B-complex multivitamins. The purpose of this is to color your urine yellow, since otherwise you are likely to produce clear, watery urine, which makes some collectors suspicious (contrary to rumor, vitamin C won't help). In rare instances, some labs will reject a sample for being too watery; in this case, however, they will typically give you a second chance. Wait until your test results have been confirmed before indulging in compromising behavior."

From This site-

"http://norml.org/marijuana/drug-testing/drug-testing-tips

And there's more there, and elsewhere.  it is known this is a 'trick' to beat the system'.  Problem is, because this is known, the NFL and the NFLPA both agreed in the last CBA that a diluted sample is to be treated as a positive result and punish given accordingly. Once both of these guys sign an NFL contract, they will have strike one and be immediately placed in the NFL drug intervention program - Stage 1. 

Now, unlike players not in the program, they can be tested up to 10 times per month (I believe that is correct amount) all year long. Players not in the program only get tested once, in the off season, and it is mini or training camp when it happens.  And (most or smart) players know this and prepare accordingly.  Once the season starts, they could be tested, but only for PED's, not recreational drug use (substances of abuse). So they can smoke after every game without fear of getting caught.  People in the program must always be primed for ;'getting caught' as they are the players tested the most, and year round.