Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Don't Know About You But I Felt Madonna Rocked The Half Time Show

chad72

Which is why for years I have clamored for an actual show. Even the classic rock acts, which I am a fan of, have no place in the game.

Im all for an actual show. A cirq-de-soli type show, an Olympic opening ceremonies type show, a drum line type show, a parade, anything other than an 'artist' out there trying to plug the latest album, or like you mentioned, a nobody trying to cause a scene in order to no longer be a nobody (MIA).

Well, you have a great point because music tastes often do not transcend age demographics. It's impossible to find an artist that is appealing to everyone. I've only ever watched like 2 or 3 halftime shows. That's my smoke break time and a silly mini-concert is the last thing I'm thinking about. I watch the SB for football, not song and dance.

Well, you have a great point because music tastes often do not transcend age demographics. It's impossible to find an artist that is appealing to everyone. I've only ever watched like 2 or 3 halftime shows. That's my smoke break time and a silly mini-concert is the last thing I'm thinking about. I watch the SB for football, not song and dance.

Well you are in the minority for sure. The halftime show is a big part of the SB spectacle and the fact that Madonna topped the game in ratings only solidifies my point.

Well you are in the minority for sure. The halftime show is a big part of the SB spectacle and the fact that Madonna topped the game in ratings only solidifies my point.

A minority I'm glad and proud to be a part of. Some people watch the SB for the commercials for cripes sake....talk about superficial. Sure, many non-fans tuned in to watch Madonna and then turned the channel to watch some other garbage. I care not what non-fans do. The same kinda people that watch part of the game and say something like "Did Brady just throw a homerun".

See, I don't agree with this, because we don't know if people would tune in for a show or not. A Cirq-De-Soli type show could pull in MORE than what Madonna did, but until the allow for that to happen, we'll never know. And frankly, of all the reviews I've seen, very view are actually ABOUT Madonna, more about the quality of the show (dancers, set etc), and not "Boy Madonna really killed it with her gyrating and on point vocal renditions"

And I think if everyone were honest with themselves, I'd say an easy majority tuned into Madonna not because of her cultural relevance, but more or less for the "what will she do" factor. Is she gonna thrust the stage in a wedding dress? Wear cones over her girls? Kiss Two New Pop Princesses etc etc. That and possibly the morbid curiosity of seeing a 53yrd old woman try to move like a 19yr old college sophomore at the club with her roommates ID.

A minority I'm glad and proud to be a part of. Some people watch the SB for the commercials for cripes sake....talk about superficial. Sure, many non-fans tuned in to watch Madonna and then turned the channel to watch some other garbage. I care not what non-fans do. The same kinda people that watch part of the game and say something like "Did Brady just throw a homerun".

I enjoy every part of the SB commercials included. All the events, pre-game hype, and pageantry just add to the whole SB experience for me.

I enjoy every part of the SB commercials included. All the events, pre-game hype, and pageantry just add to the whole SB experience for me.

I can respect that. I however, despise the noise and distractions. I watch for the game of football, nothing more.

See, I don't agree with this, because we don't know if people would tune in for a show or not. A Cirq-De-Soli type show could pull in MORE than what Madonna did, but until the allow for that to happen, we'll never know. And frankly, of all the reviews I've seen, very view are actually ABOUT Madonna, more about the quality of the show (dancers, set etc), and not "Boy Madonna really killed it with her gyrating and on point vocal renditions"

And I think if everyone were honest with themselves, I'd say an easy majority tuned into Madonna not because of her cultural relevance, but more or less for the "what will she do" factor. Is she gonna thrust the stage in a wedding dress? Wear cones over her girls? Kiss Two New Pop Princesses etc etc. That and possibly the morbid curiosity of seeing a 53yrd old woman try to move like a 19yr old college sophomore at the club with her roommates ID.

Madonna's concerts are all about the show. And you can bet she controls every aspect of the show from production to choreography. She is a world class dancer and average singer so it's not about the vocals. She is about the only artist I will give a pass to for some pre-recorded vocal tracks. Go run a couple miles and see how easily you can sing. She actually dances way more than she did last night if she didn't have to scale down her show due to time restrictions. And anybody that says she's not relevant outside the SB is wrong. Her last tour set an all time concert revenue record. I'm a rock guy(long time local drummer) but I could see how Madonna was a better choice for this type of gig than most rock artists. I will say that Prince killed it. He's more of a pop artist to me though.

Madonna's concerts are all about the show. And you can bet she controls every aspect of the show from production to choreography. She is a world class dancer and average singer so it's not about the vocals.

Which is exactly my argument. Why bother bringing in someone to do a set? Why not just have dancers? You yourself just said she is not about the vocals, so why bother with them? Why couldnt the show have been choreographed simply to Madonnas music?

Cirq-De-Solie doing an interpretive set to classic Madonna songs. Have Madonna introduce the show.

Next year have the state champion drumline base a set on the music of Kiss. So on so forth.

Which is exactly my argument. Why bother bringing in someone to do a set? Why not just have dancers? You yourself just said she is not about the vocals, so why bother with them? Why couldnt the show have been choreographed simply to Madonnas music?

Cirq-De-Solie doing an interpretive set to classic Madonna songs. Have Madonna introduce the show.

Next year have the state champion drumline base a set on the music of Kiss. So on so forth.

Sure, I'm all for it. As long as they aren't pretending to do what they were hired to do.

straight-up.....Madonna pretended to sing. Thats lame. People that are OK with that are lame. End of story.

The fact that she could literally have ate a cheeseburger while "singing" and still "sang" just as well says it all

That is a great idea as well but lets not kid ourselves. A lot of people do tune in based on the artist name. If Gaga does it next year it will be a huge draw because of her popularity. A lot bigger draw I think than if you said we are going to have a drum line playing to Gaga songs.

Sure, I'm all for it. As long as they aren't pretending to do what they were hired to do.

straight-up.....Madonna pretended to sing. Thats lame. People that are OK with that are lame. End of story.

The fact that she could literally have ate a cheeseburger while "singing" and still "sang" just as well says it all

Madonna was hired to put on a show and that's what she did. Every band at the last Olympics lip-synced. Many alternative bands included. It's not uncommon at big events.

Madonna was hired to put on a show and that's what she did. Every band at the last Olympics lip-synced. Many alternative bands included. It's not uncommon at big events.

I know, and I just think it's so lame that "fake" is OK in our society. People make fun of the Tom Petty concert because it was outdated and they were all old guys. Well, at least they have talent to play live, ya know, like an artist? Instead of doing like Madonna did and pretending to sing while lumbering around like a zombie craving brains. Even her face is fake. Plastic surgery much? Her shtick reminds me of that 50 year old woman at the bar wearing a T-shirt that says "Cherry" while her lumpy gut falls disturbingly out of her midriff. Grow up! I'll say the same for Steven Tyler. Leather pants and teased hair and eye make-up on a 63 year old man.....yuck. Grow up!

''Which is exactly my argument. Why bother bringing in someone to do a set? Why not just have dancers?"

Madonna has garnered a huge following over the years. Many of those consider her amongst the best entertainers in history. They don't just want dancers, especially no names, even if they are talented.

Why not just use CFL players after the just dancers? Because we not only want true NFL players, we want the best of the best. I had kids and wives of husbands hanging in the kitchen come flooding into the home theater room and my own wife even cranked the 7.1 system to near concert leve dB's!! Everyone had a blast and when it was over, I lowered the volume and the room cleared backed out by some 60%. :) I'm sure more than a few of them consider her the best of the best, much like an ageing QB that has had a HOF career.

Me, I was impressed how she moved- 52? in high heels? on high school gym type stands? I've fallen on them while I was in high school!! LOL

M.I.A., well she'll get a healthy fine. But the exposure might be worth that expense.Time will tell.

''Which is exactly my argument. Why bother bringing in someone to do a set? Why not just have dancers?"

Madonna has garnered a huge following over the years. Many of those consider her amongst the best entertainers in history. They don't just want dancers, especially no names, even if they are talented.

Why not just use CFL players after the just dancers? Because we not only want true NFL players, we want the best of the best. I had kids and wives of husbands hanging in the kitchen come flooding into the home theater room and my own wife even cranked the 7.1 system to near concert leve dB's!! Everyone had a blast and when it was over, I lowered the volume and the room cleared backed out by some 60%. :) I'm sure more than a few of them consider her the best of the best, much like an ageing QB that has had a HOF career.

Me, I was impressed how she moved- 52? in high heels? on high school gym type stands? I've fallen on them while I was in high school!! LOL

M.I.A., well she'll get a healthy fine. But the exposure might be worth that expense.Time will tell.

This is what the music industry has come to!

Thats because fake is OK with most people. They want their music to be performed by attractive and flashy personalities with as much gimmick as possible. They don't care if they're actually talented, they don't care if they can belt out a tune live in front of a national audience. I equate it to a dog chasing a flashlight, people want flashy to distract them from the lack of talent.

My general rule is; If the musician/band/singer has back-up dancers, it's not for me.

REALLY? How old are you....You do know Madonna has been around since 1984, right? She has sold millions upon millions of albums, still plays to sold out stadiums, and has attained a level of famous on par with Michael Jackson (in his prime), The Rolling Stones, Elvis, etc.... You may not like her style of music, but she is one of the transcendent musical artists of the past century.

In terms of sales, it's the Beatles, Elvis, MJ, and then Madonna in that order. Pretty elite company, and she didn't get there by not being talented. She earned the right to lip synch if she wants to. She's not some "johnny come lately" (for all you older folks on here) that will be gone tomorrow...She's getting older, but I grew up hearing her music and remembering how controversial she was at the time

A side note here: The irony of all ironies is this: in their heyday, The Rolling Stones and Madonna were very polarizing and controversial...."Satisfaction" got banned from the airwaves for a time, and much is known of Madonna's controversies. Now they are the SAFE CHOICES for SB Halftime?? and considered old and past their prime?? WOW how things change as time goes by

REALLY? How old are you....You do know Madonna has been around since 1984, right? She has sold millions upon millions of albums, still plays to sold out stadiums, and has attained a level of famous on par with Michael Jackson (in his prime), The Rolling Stones, Elvis, etc.... You may not like her style of music, but she is one of the transcendent musical artists of the past century.

In terms of sales, it's the Beatles, Elvis, MJ, and then Madonna in that order. Pretty elite company, and she didn't get there by not being talented. She earned the right to lip synch if she wants to. She's not some "johnny come lately" (for all you older folks on here) that will be gone tomorrow...She's getting older, but I grew up hearing her music and remembering how controversial she was at the time

A side note here: The irony of all ironies is this: in their heyday, The Rolling Stones and Madonna were very polarizing and controversial...."Satisfaction" got banned from the airwaves for a time, and much is known of Madonna's controversies. Now they are the SAFE CHOICES for SB Halftime?? and considered old and past their prime?? WOW how things change as time goes by

I believe wordofmouth was referencing the gratuitous middle finger that MIA flipped at the camera for no apparent reason.

oh....and lip-sync'ers are talentless trash, no matter how many people they tricked into buying their music. She doesn't write her music. She doesn't sing her music, she just puts cones on her ta-ta's and kisses woman while riding a nearly naked black man across the stage for shock value. Wow, now that's talent, talent enough to excuse her fake signing performance.

I am old enough to have witnessed her whole MTV/media driven, hype driven, show driven, everything but music driven career. You said a lot of things about her but all were extra-musical ( if that is a term) .

She is the equivalent of a Coke commercial. You have bought into the her marketing plan hook line and sinker.

I am old enough to have witnessed her whole MTV/media driven, hype driven, show driven, everything but music driven career. You said a lot of things about her but all were extra-musical ( if that is a term) .

She is the equivalent of a Coke commercial. You have bought into the her marketing plan hook line and sinker.

I'm not some huge Madonna fan...I do like some of her early stuff. She's never been considered a "great singer" and many of her fans will acknowledge that. A lot of rock front men aren't "great singers" either in terms of real vocal talent. Christina Aguilera is one of the best pure vocalists around and she >>>ed up the National Anthem! But she has a vocal range that few can match (she can cover almost 4 octaves which is nearly unheard of) I have a musical background so I know a bit about singing and what constitutes a good singer, but I'm no expert....

"Coke commercials" as you mean, they flame out. Marketing plans and hype like the Backstreet Boys and NSync fade after a few years. Madonna has been around for nearly 30 years and still going strong. She broke a lot of taboos early on, and wasn't afraid to be controversial....and not just for controversy's sake and publicity. You can disagree all you want but that sustained success is due to something other than "marketing" my friend. b/c if that's the case then Michael Jackson was all hype and marketing....and he's considered the greatest pop musician of all time.

You can disagree all you want. That's fine. But calling her "marketing hype" and "trash" is just ignorant of the facts. You may not like her music, heck even though I am defending her I don't like a lot of it...I just hate when people paint with a broad brush.."she doesn't write her own songs" WRONG, she's written a lot of her own material...or "she lip synchs so she sucks"...well she didn't lip synch the albums that sold millions...

And btw, John Mellencamp would have been a great choice for SB halftime: my first pick was the Foo Fighters but as big as they are I don't think they are big enough to grab that SB spot, which sucks

I believe wordofmouth was referencing the gratuitous middle finger that MIA flipped at the camera for no apparent reason.

oh....and lip-sync'ers are talentless trash, no matter how many people they tricked into buying their music. She doesn't write her music. She doesn't sing her music, she just puts cones on her ta-ta's and kisses woman while riding a nearly naked black man across the stage for shock value. Wow, now that's talent, talent enough to excuse her fake signing performance.

yes, she absolutely does. Madonna has 100% control of everything that is created in the studio. She usually starts out with a tune (in her head)...and she will write lyrics to go with it. Her producers take it one step further...but dont think she doesnt have her hands in every single thing she does. Plus she's a world class dancer to boot. Been through years of dance school. I've read books on her so I know this to be true.

I usually like your posts but your just coming off like a hater in this thread. I get it. You don't like the fact that she lip-synced part of the performance. It is commonplace in a big production like the SB where no sound check is possible. Some of the acts that did sing everything were quite subpar IMO. Trying to portray Madonna like she has no talent is just making you look silly honestly.

yes, she absolutely does. Madonna has 100% control of everything that is created in the studio. She usually starts out with a tune (in her head)...and she will write lyrics to go with it. Her producers take it one step further...but dont think she doesnt have her hands in every single thing she does. Plus she's a world class dancer to boot. Been through years of dance school. I've read books on her so I know this to be true.

I usually like your posts but your just coming off like a hater in this thread. I get it. You don't like the fact that she lip-synced part of the performance. It is commonplace in a big production like the SB where no sound check is possible. Some of the acts that did sing everything were quite subpar IMO. Trying to portray Madonna like she has no talent is just making you look silly honestly.

It's too bad everyone isn't as intolerant toward lip-syncing as me, then they wouldn't do it, aye? Yes, I am a hater. I hate fake artists. I have more respect for Justin Bieber, because my daughter made me watch some performance of his and that little boy had more guts and talent than Madonna, he actually sang his own songs.

Lip-syncing just one of those things you shouldn't do. But your right, I won't be fair about it. I hate that whole genre of music. When it comes to pop-music, I am a cynical jerk. Absolutely hate it.

(<<<Slayer fan)

I'm not some huge Madonna fan...I do like some of her early stuff. She's never been considered a "great singer" and many of her fans will acknowledge that. A lot of rock front men aren't "great singers" either in terms of real vocal talent. Christina Aguilera is one of the best pure vocalists around and she >>>ed up the National Anthem! But she has a vocal range that few can match (she can cover almost 4 octaves which is nearly unheard of) I have a musical background so I know a bit about singing and what constitutes a good singer, but I'm no expert....

"Coke commercials" as you mean, they flame out. Marketing plans and hype like the Backstreet Boys and NSync fade after a few years. Madonna has been around for nearly 30 years and still going strong. She broke a lot of taboos early on, and wasn't afraid to be controversial....and not just for controversy's sake and publicity. You can disagree all you want but that sustained success is due to something other than "marketing" my friend. b/c if that's the case then Michael Jackson was all hype and marketing....and he's considered the greatest pop musician of all time.

You can disagree all you want. That's fine. But calling her "marketing hype" and "trash" is just ignorant of the facts. You may not like her music, heck even though I am defending her I don't like a lot of it...I just hate when people paint with a broad brush.."she doesn't write her own songs" WRONG, she's written a lot of her own material...or "she lip synchs so she sucks"...well she didn't lip synch the albums that sold millions...

And btw, John Mellencamp would have been a great choice for SB halftime: my first pick was the Foo Fighters but as big as they are I don't think they are big enough to grab that SB spot, which sucks

You are right she is not a great singer, nor is she a great song writer, so what does that leave us? I super tight band with great soloists? no, just show and image with a few licking dogs to make sure you don't forget her.

Coca Cola comercials are exactly what she is the musical equivalant to. Yes they change and she has done an amazing job of keeping her image fresh as well. But You would be hard pressed to show me some kind of musical evealution that has kept her relavent too any thing other than the dumbed down pop market ( not saying you are dumbed down, I'm saying that the market is....Very dumbed down).

Just for the record, I never called her trash and I certainly never called Michael Jackson the greates Pop artist of all time. Unless that is strickly measured by the for mentioned dumbed down market.

Anyway, we will have to agree to disagree on this. We can also agree that Mellencamp and the Foo Fighters would be be better.

It was actually the only part of the event that I didn't watch. I did notice a couple of familiar songs (that I didn't like 20 years ago) playing in the backround while I was in the kitchen, but that was about it.

I know that Madonna has some talent, and I do like some of her stuff, but I detest the entire over the top pointless stage show nonsense, and I resent her for being somewhat responsible for it's all-to frequent presence. I grew up with rock and roll, and dancing bores me to tears. Just write good music, and go out there and perform it. Pour your heart and soul into it - human flaws and all - that's what I appreciate. A couple of hundred dancers surrounding several half-naked (probably gay) guys pretending to be out of there minds in lust over a woman in a bear suit covered with rainbow sprinkles, hanging upside down, while mouthing the words to some incredibly generic and over-produced pop-music (or whatever her show was this year - they're all the same) just doesn't do much for me. DULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.