Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reuben Foster just failed a drug test [Merge]

2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Yeah, this will drop his draft stock a bit - not sure how far.  It's always a toss up.  Tunsil dropped like 10 picks or something.  Randy Gregory dropped almost 2 rounds.  If I recall, Gregory tested positive at the combine, while Tunsil's was an old video.  So I'm thinking this is more like Gregory.  He may not drop that far because I think Gregory already had some weed busts on his record, but I wouldn't be surprised if Foster dropped a full round.

I buy that.  

Yes Tunsil was shown smoking with a gas mask on, lol... 

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Yeah, this will drop his draft stock a bit - not sure how far.  It's always a toss up.  Tunsil dropped like 10 picks or something.  Randy Gregory dropped almost 2 rounds.  If I recall, Gregory tested positive at the combine, while Tunsil's was an old video.  So I'm thinking this is more like Gregory.  He may not drop that far because I think Gregory already had some weed busts on his record, but I wouldn't be surprised if Foster dropped a full round.

The other thing that drops his stock is the injury concern

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The other thing that drops his stock is the injury concern

I didn't want to draft him in the first round for that alone.  I'm not accusing him of causing a raucous to avoid his medicals, but I can't help but shake the notion.  For what his teammates have said about him, it was out of character - at least that's what I've understood.  If that's true, why go out of character on one of the biggest days to date in your football career?  It makes no sense to me and smells like he's trying to avoid something.  With the diluted sample, you now have 2 events that, regardless of what the real facts are, smell like someone trying to avoid detection, both on the biggest stage.  I don't like it one bit.

16 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

He is pretty sure now to fall to #15  what a dilemma. Did he cheat?  it looks like it but this could stink of a character issue so take him or not???

Well how many red flags do we need?  He gets sent home at the combine and now this , not to mention injury concerns.  At the combine where he is supposed to be impressing coaches.  This guy needs counseling.  Let some other team have all the fun.  Not me.   Too many other high caliber players to choose from than this guy. 

28 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

So sad to see a guy who had so much talent sabotage his future like this. Really liked the guy before all this crap came rolling down hill, and now more just keeps coming. 

It never ceases to amaze me how short sided & foolish a few athletes are. Why throw money down the toilet & compromise your financial future? Sigh...

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

1st Round to 3rd Day or UDFA?

That's very dramatic, yes this will drop him but he's still a top 5 talent. What intrigues me now is trading back into the mid 20s and picking up an extra 2nd appose to taking him at 15. Will be interesting to see if Jarrad Davis gets drafted before him as well, I'd think so.

• 21isSuperman changed the title to Reuben Foster just failed a drug test [Merge]

So here's my consensus thoughts on this: 

1) The failed test was probably a fluke. We all know how unreliable the combine med checks are and drinking lots of water when your sick is a feasible reason for this "failure".

2) The argument he had with a medical supervisor at the combine was probably also due to his health. Whenever I'm sick, I tend to be grouchy and impatient as well.

3) I'm happy with this news. I was debating between Foster and Gareon Conley at 15, but with this information coming up, we can get both, with Foster likely falling all the way to 45.

Just my 2 cents on this all!

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I worked in a drug rehab court program as an intern, it happens ALL. THE. TIME.  And they get called out on it with other people in the program in an effort to basically tell everyone else, "Hey, we know you drank too much water on purpose.  We can tell, so just don't do it or you'll get in more trouble for trying to evade it."  They knew they were getting tested, they were told not to drink over a certain amount within x hours before testing, but people did it anyway.

If Foster had previoualy failed a drug test or been in drug rehab I wouldn't  believe him for a second.  Not sure I believe him now, but I'm not totally disregarding his excuse.

Just now, BOTT said:

If Foster had previoualy failed a drug test or been in drug rehab I wouldn't  believe him for a second.  Not sure I believe him now, but I'm not totally disregarding his excuse.

I'm not saying that he is not to be believed. But the fact of the matter is he has raised suspicions and for reasons that are almost entirely under his control. He's not giving me a reason to take him at 15 is all I'm saying

1 hour ago, IndyScribe said:

Do you guys even know how to read? It's a diluted sample. 

I also like his attitude regarding the "failed" drug test. It's hard to tell whether he actually has food poisoning, but the way he approached it was nice. If he falls to 15, I definitely want him there. 

I'd want him too if the drug test results wash out.  But I think the Colts are going to take a corner with their first pick.  It would be funny if he fell enough for the Colts to do that and then nab Foster in the second. 

1 hour ago, UKColt13 said:

Good lord.

Bad to worse.

Depending on the full result of the test and what he popped for? 

I'd say 3rd round was his ceiling now with a floor of UDFA. Personally it's one too many red flags for me though.

Although I'd need to see what drug he popped for before I make my final call on him.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

If the doctors gave the thumbs up I would still take him.  I couldn't care less about his argument with some nurse or whatever.

Not me.  At least not at 15.  Just too many red flags

Playing weight

Failed / diluted drug test at the combine

Being sent home from the combine

Medical concern with his shoulder

I think it's funny how he's coming out saying "Test me" as if he's done no wrong. I bet he would pass now since whatever was in his system is probably long gone.

Id take him off the draft board. Too many red flags. And I hate judging a book by its cover but I saw his Instagram and he struck as a knuckle head. He hangs with some real suspicious looking guys. 

1 hour ago, IndyScribe said:

Do you guys even know how to read? It's a diluted sample. 

I also like his attitude regarding the "failed" drug test. It's hard to tell whether he actually has food poisoning, but the way he approached it was nice. If he falls to 15, I definitely want him there. 

Go sprinting to the podium w/the card in your hand. 

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I worked in a drug rehab court program as an intern, it happens ALL. THE. TIME.  And they get called out on it with other people in the program in an effort to basically tell everyone else, "Hey, we know you drank too much water on purpose.  We can tell, so just don't do it or you'll get in more trouble for trying to evade it."  They knew they were getting tested, they were told not to drink over a certain amount within x hours before testing, but people did it anyway.

I got a random drug test a few years ago at work.   They called me in at 1 in the afternoon at work.  Keep in mind I work outside everyday of the year, and this was in early August.  Oddly enough my test came back as diluted.   Took it again the next morning and passed.   

18 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think it's funny how he's coming out saying "Test me" as if he's done no wrong. I bet he would pass now since whatever was in his system is probably long gone.

Id take him off the draft board. Too many red flags. And I hate judging a book by its cover but I saw his Instagram and he struck as a knuckle head. He hangs with some real suspicious looking guys. 

Tons of water was in his system.    That crazy water will get you every time

Also,  it's nice to know you judge people on how they look in pictures

17 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

So here's my consensus thoughts on this: 

1) The failed test was probably a fluke. We all know how unreliable the combine med checks are and drinking lots of water when your sick is a feasible reason for this "failure".

2) The argument he had with a medical supervisor at the combine was probably also due to his health. Whenever I'm sick, I tend to be grouchy and impatient as well.

3) I'm happy with this news. I was debating between Foster and Gareon Conley at 15, but with this information coming up, we can get both, with Foster likely falling all the way to 45.

Just my 2 cents on this all!

FINALLY see that another poster sees the BIGGER Picture! WE may get him in the 2nd

It's understandable why you'd be happy with this news.

1. HIs diluted test knocks him out of the "top 15" or 1st round completely, which makes me feel better about trading back from #15, if CB makes decides to acquire more picks. So the whole combine incident & diluted test may be a Blessing in disguise for Us. - He falls, We pick him up!

2. If he was SICK, then in Indy, it explains the "underweight" concern many had when he weighed-in. Also being sick w/ diarrhea, nausea, and having to eliminate frequently in a hospital, a place where they make you "hurry up & wait", is more than enough to AGITATE me on the eve of an extremely important job interview. - He was sick of waiting & sick of being SICK, then someone pushed his button

3. Our new GM does his HW. Because CB will block the outside noise and do the due diligence that is required to vet a person, I believe CB would know whether or not Foster's story checks out, if he can be counted on to lead this Team, and if he can be trusted as a representative of the organization in the community. - I hope so, that he gets picked here & then goes to issue a personal apology to that staffer

Big Picture: the potential of Foster falling has exponential potential to help Us BTM!

We can land two 1st round talents in by 2nd Round or more if you make the "right trades" & get lucky. What I'd be in favor of is selecting a Wilson or another CB with a trade to the bottom of the 1st & acquiring another 2nd, then taking Foster and another CB or BPA, etc.

If CB didn't just sign another LB, I'd be for taking Reddick in the 1st and Foster in the 2nd, if Foster checks out. Essentially, the possibilities are HOPEFUL.

35 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Depending on the full result of the test and what he popped for? 

I'd say 3rd round was his ceiling now with a floor of UDFA. Personally it's one too many red flags for me though.

Although I'd need to see what drug he popped for before I make my final call on him.

Lol,  He won't make it out of the first round for this

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Tons of water was in his system.    That crazy water will get you every time

And he claims that he had food poisoning but I don't buy it. We didn't hear anything about this until recently. At least we heard beforehand that Barnett had the flu. His agent would have rushed to put something out before workouts if that were the case. I think him getting sent home, the issues with his shoulder and the drug test are all related. I'm tempted to say he almost wanted to get sent home.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

And he claims that he had food poisoning but I don't buy it. We didn't hear anything about this until recently. At least we heard beforehand that Barnett had the flu. His agent would have rushed to put something out before workouts if that were the case. I think him getting sent home, the issues with his shoulder and the drug test are all related. I'm tempted to say he almost wanted to get sent home.

He won't make it to the second round.  His shoulder is a bigger issue than this

24 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

There's a great chance he still gets picked before us at 15.. Any of you saying he falls out of the first are delusional. 

Doesn't he also have a rotator cuff issue and that weird confrontation at the combine.  

In addition, to the diluted test & combine incident & character concern & whether not he knows X's & O's, there is a concern medically about his shoulder healing & concussions with Foster.

*He may be the "faller" of this year's class. 2nd Round is a possibility.

Honestly, if it came down to taking ILB Foster or OLB WIlliams from Alabama, I'd still go with Foster. It simple.

Foster -

Never failed a drug test, in College.

Touted as a leader in the locker room & on the field

Plays on all 3 Downs.

Is a lumberjack, cause he brings the wood for a living

Williams -

Failed multiple drug tests.

Is under concern for smoking cigarettes

Plays against the Pass, exclusively.

Imbibes in Marijuana

If Foster is there in the 2nd, whichever team drafts him is getting a Top-5 talent & a great STEAL. That is the only reason he may still go in the first; he's too good to pass up, if his story checks out & his medical does as well.

19 minutes ago, BlueTruth said:

Williams -

Imbibes in Marijuana

Seriously?  How can an athlete who's success is significantly based on cardiovascular fitness be remotely considered professional material if he smokes cigarettes?  Its the same problem I have with athletes smoking pot.

I'm going to have to re-introduce a question that used to be asked but for some reason has faded away when we discuss college athletics.  As far as Williams and Foster:

What was their major? And what was their unassisted GPA?

Are they smart enough to be an NFL player?

2 hours ago, Imrryr said:

He claims it could be due to food poisoning. He didnt fail a single test in college. I am inclined to believe him wed be stupid to gamble and hope he falls to the second round take him at 15 ballard.

I was just waiting for him to blame that hospital employee too, for elevating his stress levels. :) 

33 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Seriously?  How can an athlete who's success is significantly based on cardiovascular fitness be remotely considered professional material if he smokes cigarettes?  Its the same problem I have with athletes smoking pot.

I'm going to have to re-introduce a question that used to be asked but for some reason has faded away when we discuss college athletics.  As far as Williams and Foster:

Maybe we should get them on that Jeff Foxworthy show? :thmup:

57 minutes ago, DougDew said:

AGREE!

I hope it's not true, but it sounds like just another piece of wood to add to the burning garbage fire that was his "Top-15" draft stock!

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Many,  Many players smoke pot.   It isn't as unheard of as you think.   Most are smart about it  though.  Jerry Jones wants it to be cut from the testing policy in the next contract

1 hour ago, BlueTruth said:

In addition, to the diluted test & combine incident & character concern & whether not he knows X's & O's, there is a concern medically about his shoulder healing & concussions with Foster.

*He may be the "faller" of this year's class. 2nd Round is a possibility.

Honestly, if it came down to taking ILB Foster or OLB WIlliams from Alabama, I'd still go with Foster. It simple.

Foster -

Never failed a drug test, in College.

Touted as a leader in the locker room & on the field

Plays on all 3 Downs.

Is a lumberjack, cause he brings the wood for a living

Williams -

Imbibes in Marijuana

If Foster is there in the 2nd, whichever team drafts him is getting a Top-5 talent & a great STEAL. That is the only reason he may still go in the first; he's too good to pass up, if his story checks out & his medical does as well.

He won't be there in the second unless his injury is worse than we know.  The diluted drug test won't hurt him

He isn't dropping out of the 1st... Or even close to that far. 

My concern with him is the shoulder. If Indy's doctors sign off on him, I would still run to the podium if he's there at 15... If the shoulder is going to affect him long-term, then, not so much. Same goes for the concussion issue.

I don't like the bad decision-making during the draft process, but that is what it was going to take to have him drop to 15... Without these issues, he's off the board when we pick 100% of the time.

Medical could be an issue that will force him to drop out of the 1st, but only a long-term issue... Even substantial risk of a shoulder surgery in the upcoming season wouldn't drop him that far, imo.