Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1st rd.pick defense or offense?


Recommended Posts

On another note, do you guys think Joe Mixon will be there when we pick in the 2nd? If he is do you guys think there's any chance Colts take him? I know what he did was just plain horrible and wrong in every sense of the word, but on the football side of things he is very talented and is said among the draft experts that's he's the best overall back in this year's draft. He would instantly improve our backfield and could be a franchise rb! What all us fans haven't seen in yrs from the Colts!

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Ballard goes defense then BPA but if he goes offense 

then Lamp all the way. A RB in the first round would

be a Grigsonesque soft pick and would raise an eyebrow

If he is really serious about building the lines and defense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, TYtheMan13 said:

On another note, do you guys think Joe Mixon will be there when we pick in the 2nd? If he is do you guys think there's any chance Colts take him? I know what he did was just plain horrible and wrong in every sense of the word, but on the football side of things he is very talented and is said among the draft experts that's he's the best overall back in this year's draft. He would instantly improve our backfield and could be a franchise rb! What all us fans haven't seen in yrs from the Colts!

I don't think Mixon will be there in the 2nd.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Clayton,  I'm not going to disagree with you about the D. But to take a top Rb or signing a decent one is a must. I think the rb position a glaring need somewhere in the draft. You'll see. We will revisit this after the draft. I think Gore is done. What he's done in his career is great but we need a new guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, joeb said:

Clayton,  I'm not going to disagree with you about the D. But to take a top Rb or signing a decent one is a must. I think the rb position a glaring need somewhere in the draft. You'll see. We will revisit this after the draft. I think Gore is done. What he's done in his career is great but we need a new guy.

Maybe it is but it's also a position which can be filled creatively. You shouldn't need a top running back to be successful. 

 

You damn sure need to invest in defense more than we have though. There will always be a sexy running back or road grading lineman available but we can't ignore the defense forever if we want to win.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TYtheMan13 said:

On another note, do you guys think Joe Mixon will be there when we pick in the 2nd? If he is do you guys think there's any chance Colts take him? I know what he did was just plain horrible and wrong in every sense of the word, but on the football side of things he is very talented and is said among the draft experts that's he's the best overall back in this year's draft. He would instantly improve our backfield and could be a franchise rb! What all us fans haven't seen in yrs from the Colts!

It's possible he will be there.  Some will say no way, but players fall unexpectedly every year.  But I highly doubt he is on the Colts board.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears all this talk about never take a RB in the first because the position is not as important as it once was is a lot of malarky.  Supposedly it's easy to find a good RB in the middle to late rounds so don't waste a pick in the 1st. round.  That theory is about to be thrown out the window this draft and the second round will see many drafted as well.  I think you can now say GM's are not afraid to draft a RB in the 1st. Rd. if the player grades out to be a 1st. round talent.  Whether they will or not will depend on how they compare to other talent on the board at the time they pick.  But this automatic stance of never take a RB in the 1st. is about to be thrown out the window by the men who do this for a living.  I don't know if we draft one in the 1st. or not but I am certainly not going to be surprised if we do.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It appears all this talk about never take a RB in the first because the position is not as important as it once was is a lot of malarky.  Supposedly it's easy to find a good RB in the middle to late rounds so don't waste a pick in the 1st. round.  That theory is about to be thrown out the window this draft and the second round will see many drafted as well.  I think you can now say GM's are not afraid to draft a RB in the 1st. Rd. if the player grades out to be a 1st. round talent.  Whether they will or not will depend on how they compare to other talent on the board at the time they pick.  But this automatic stance of never take a RB in the 1st. is about to be thrown out the window by the men who do this for a living.  I don't know if we draft one in the 1st. or not but I am certainly not going to be surprised if we do.  

that just tells me there are a lot of dumb general managers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Give me Conley, Lamp, Foster, Barnett, or Fournette and I will be happy. Foster (NO really likes him at 11 from various sources) and Fournette (Jax and 49ers really like him) most likely won't be there.

 

My top pick for the 1st round is Conley. I LOVE the kid and I feel he is an instant starter and is a plug and play type guy at CB2. Pick up a third CB later in the draft and we will be set for a potential post-Davis world.

 

Lamp would be OK, I wouldn't be jumping up and down or anything but it would certainly solidify our OL for years to come and is another plug and play type guy. I would be OK with this pick.

 

Barnett would be pretty LIT. Yes, he isn't that athletic or doesn't wow anybody with his measurables. BUT, his production and his tape playing in the best conference in the country doesn't lie. He is a solid player at worst with potential to be a Pro Bowler. His floor is higher than majority of the pass-rushers in this class and that is exactly what we need on this defense. He would be an instant starter at OLB for us and would be a 4 down player against the pass and the run.

 

Other picks that have been floating around as possibilities: Riddick, Harris, Cook, McCaffrey, Takk. Riddick is certainly a dynamic player who is probably very versatile and has a high ceiling BUT he is a risk. He is projected to switch positions after playing on the defensive line as a pass-rusher. There is always risk involved no matter how athletic you are or how well you performed at the Senior Bowl compared to other ILBs. Harris wouldn't be a bad pick but I would want him at the end of the first rather than at 15. Cook is probably an over pick at 15 at this point in time. McCaffrey is certainly a top end talent who is extremely versatile but my concern is that our coaching staff isn't advanced enough (sad, yes I know) to really take advantage of his skills and maximize his abilities on our offense. I wouldn't be mad if we took him but I would be scared to see him not reach his potential in our offensive scheme. Takk is extremely athletic but is another risky type pick at OLB and his injury also would hurt his first year a bit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

40 time doesn't matter if you're a heavy zone scheme. But our scheme is man, sometimes press. Where speed does matter. 

He was a man CB at Florida. Shutdown CB. 

 

He's the guy I'd take is all I'm saying. Ballard may not take him, just my personal wish on the defensive side of the ball 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

He was a man CB at Florida. Shutdown CB. 

 

He's the guy I'd take is all I'm saying. Ballard may not take him, just my personal wish on the defensive side of the ball 

That's college. Against bad QBs. 

 

And that's cool I was just saying. Not a great fit and wasn't great in the locker room. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

 

Rumor (for what it's worth) is that the Bengals like him at 2.  They've taken guys with issues before.  

 

Which reminds me...Odell Thurman.

 

I guess his name meant that he was going to be an ODIOUS character. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes. Definitely. Defense or Offense ... :)

 

 

You know, Ballard has signed so many defensive players in free agency that he could easily go offense in the first round. 

I know that's not something a lot of folks want to hear, but our offense is still our big weapon. It is the thing that makes us a playoff contender. We should make sure we keep it strong.

Even though we've added Aiken, our WRs are not a strength after Hilton. There are two really good ones in round 1.

Adding a premier TE if he fell would open up the red zone and give Luck more opportunities to dump the ball off without getting killed. 

And a RB --- does the same thing. Protect the King, make us strong.

 

And I'd STILL love a pass rusher or corner. Soooo, there you go. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Majin Vegeta said:

I like Bolles. But he's going to be 25 and we have a good building block in LeRaven Clark. I'm not a fan of Ryan Ram at all. Don't think he's even worth a 1st. Weak. 

Gotcha. yeah that was my opinion too I liked Bolles I thought Ryan's tape wasn't very good just from the eye test. But Lamp looks like the true best pick up if we did go OL imo. Him or Bolles.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • At this point IMO we need to raise the floor for this pass-rush. Right now we are risking being bottom 5 unit in the league next year. If we are going for it we need at least some solid pass-rushers, even if they are not ideal long-term...
    • Jets take Elijah Moore  Falcons up next
    • You're hanging your hat entirely on TDs, and ignoring every other indicator. I prefer Luck's skill set too (and scheme), but he was in a scheme that stressed passing. Watson in a different scheme, yet the majority of his passing stats are still better than Luck's. There's a whole lot of context to consider. JMO. Then factor Watson can stay healthy and doesn't snowboard. 
    • Yeah, PFF doesn't have a time to pressure/sack stat for pass rushers, just for QBs.    Lawson just doesn't fit into my team building ideal. I don't think he's going to live up to whatever he gets, unless he takes an extremely team friendly deal. I'm not thrilled with any of the FA pass rushers, maybe Okwara would be somebody I'd think about long term, but he's nothing special. At least he fits the mold a little better, has more length and a little more wiggle on tape. But I think Turay has the potential to be better than almost every FA edge rusher.    I haven't really analyzed this, but my inclination would be to double down on lower cost veterans along the DL, and hope we can generate more pressure across the entire front. Taking a flier on Von Miller intrigues me, but he's going to want a ton of money. But realistically, I don't see FA as the answer to our pass rush issues in 2021.
  • Members

    • EastStreet

      EastStreet 9,243

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ReMeDy

      ReMeDy 425

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • 2006Coltsbestever

      2006Coltsbestever 21,943

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • stitches

      stitches 8,063

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • tvturner

      tvturner 295

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • AlanNC

      AlanNC 58

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Colt Overseas

      Colt Overseas 560

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jchandler7

      jchandler7 174

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • danlhart87

      danlhart87 7,499

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NFLfan

      NFLfan 8,313

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...