Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1st rd.pick defense or offense?

On another note, do you guys think Joe Mixon will be there when we pick in the 2nd? If he is do you guys think there's any chance Colts take him? I know what he did was just plain horrible and wrong in every sense of the word, but on the football side of things he is very talented and is said among the draft experts that's he's the best overall back in this year's draft. He would instantly improve our backfield and could be a franchise rb! What all us fans haven't seen in yrs from the Colts!

25 minutes ago, TYtheMan13 said:

On another note, do you guys think Joe Mixon will be there when we pick in the 2nd? If he is do you guys think there's any chance Colts take him? I know what he did was just plain horrible and wrong in every sense of the word, but on the football side of things he is very talented and is said among the draft experts that's he's the best overall back in this year's draft. He would instantly improve our backfield and could be a franchise rb! What all us fans haven't seen in yrs from the Colts!

I don't think Mixon will be there in the 2nd.

Clayton,  I'm not going to disagree with you about the D. But to take a top Rb or signing a decent one is a must. I think the rb position a glaring need somewhere in the draft. You'll see. We will revisit this after the draft. I think Gore is done. What he's done in his career is great but we need a new guy.

11 minutes ago, joeb said:

Clayton,  I'm not going to disagree with you about the D. But to take a top Rb or signing a decent one is a must. I think the rb position a glaring need somewhere in the draft. You'll see. We will revisit this after the draft. I think Gore is done. What he's done in his career is great but we need a new guy.

Maybe it is but it's also a position which can be filled creatively. You shouldn't need a top running back to be successful. 

You damn sure need to invest in defense more than we have though. There will always be a sexy running back or road grading lineman available but we can't ignore the defense forever if we want to win.

1 hour ago, TYtheMan13 said:

It's possible he will be there.  Some will say no way, but players fall unexpectedly every year.  But I highly doubt he is on the Colts board.

It appears all this talk about never take a RB in the first because the position is not as important as it once was is a lot of malarky.  Supposedly it's easy to find a good RB in the middle to late rounds so don't waste a pick in the 1st. round.  That theory is about to be thrown out the window this draft and the second round will see many drafted as well.  I think you can now say GM's are not afraid to draft a RB in the 1st. Rd. if the player grades out to be a 1st. round talent.  Whether they will or not will depend on how they compare to other talent on the board at the time they pick.  But this automatic stance of never take a RB in the 1st. is about to be thrown out the window by the men who do this for a living.  I don't know if we draft one in the 1st. or not but I am certainly not going to be surprised if we do.  

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It appears all this talk about never take a RB in the first because the position is not as important as it once was is a lot of malarky.  Supposedly it's easy to find a good RB in the middle to late rounds so don't waste a pick in the 1st. round.  That theory is about to be thrown out the window this draft and the second round will see many drafted as well.  I think you can now say GM's are not afraid to draft a RB in the 1st. Rd. if the player grades out to be a 1st. round talent.  Whether they will or not will depend on how they compare to other talent on the board at the time they pick.  But this automatic stance of never take a RB in the 1st. is about to be thrown out the window by the men who do this for a living.  I don't know if we draft one in the 1st. or not but I am certainly not going to be surprised if we do.  

that just tells me there are a lot of dumb general managers.

Give me Conley, Lamp, Foster, Barnett, or Fournette and I will be happy. Foster (NO really likes him at 11 from various sources) and Fournette (Jax and 49ers really like him) most likely won't be there.

My top pick for the 1st round is Conley. I LOVE the kid and I feel he is an instant starter and is a plug and play type guy at CB2. Pick up a third CB later in the draft and we will be set for a potential post-Davis world.

Lamp would be OK, I wouldn't be jumping up and down or anything but it would certainly solidify our OL for years to come and is another plug and play type guy. I would be OK with this pick.

Barnett would be pretty LIT. Yes, he isn't that athletic or doesn't wow anybody with his measurables. BUT, his production and his tape playing in the best conference in the country doesn't lie. He is a solid player at worst with potential to be a Pro Bowler. His floor is higher than majority of the pass-rushers in this class and that is exactly what we need on this defense. He would be an instant starter at OLB for us and would be a 4 down player against the pass and the run.

Other picks that have been floating around as possibilities: Riddick, Harris, Cook, McCaffrey, Takk. Riddick is certainly a dynamic player who is probably very versatile and has a high ceiling BUT he is a risk. He is projected to switch positions after playing on the defensive line as a pass-rusher. There is always risk involved no matter how athletic you are or how well you performed at the Senior Bowl compared to other ILBs. Harris wouldn't be a bad pick but I would want him at the end of the first rather than at 15. Cook is probably an over pick at 15 at this point in time. McCaffrey is certainly a top end talent who is extremely versatile but my concern is that our coaching staff isn't advanced enough (sad, yes I know) to really take advantage of his skills and maximize his abilities on our offense. I wouldn't be mad if we took him but I would be scared to see him not reach his potential in our offensive scheme. Takk is extremely athletic but is another risky type pick at OLB and his injury also would hurt his first year a bit. 

13 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

40 time doesn't matter if you're a heavy zone scheme. But our scheme is man, sometimes press. Where speed does matter. 

He was a man CB at Florida. Shutdown CB. 

He's the guy I'd take is all I'm saying. Ballard may not take him, just my personal wish on the defensive side of the ball 

22 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

He was a man CB at Florida. Shutdown CB. 

He's the guy I'd take is all I'm saying. Ballard may not take him, just my personal wish on the defensive side of the ball 

That's college. Against bad QBs. 

And that's cool I was just saying. Not a great fit and wasn't great in the locker room. 

5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Rumor (for what it's worth) is that the Bengals like him at 2.  They've taken guys with issues before.  

Which reminds me...Odell Thurman.

I guess his name meant that he was going to be an ODIOUS character. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. Definitely. Defense or Offense ... :)

You know, Ballard has signed so many defensive players in free agency that he could easily go offense in the first round. 

I know that's not something a lot of folks want to hear, but our offense is still our big weapon. It is the thing that makes us a playoff contender. We should make sure we keep it strong.

Even though we've added Aiken, our WRs are not a strength after Hilton. There are two really good ones in round 1.

Adding a premier TE if he fell would open up the red zone and give Luck more opportunities to dump the ball off without getting killed. 

And a RB --- does the same thing. Protect the King, make us strong.

And I'd STILL love a pass rusher or corner. Soooo, there you go. 

Just now, Majin Vegeta said:

I like Bolles. But he's going to be 25 and we have a good building block in LeRaven Clark. I'm not a fan of Ryan Ram at all. Don't think he's even worth a 1st. Weak. 

Gotcha. yeah that was my opinion too I liked Bolles I thought Ryan's tape wasn't very good just from the eye test. But Lamp looks like the true best pick up if we did go OL imo. Him or Bolles.