Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stitches

"Height, weight, speed" mock drafts

Recommended Posts

"Height, weight, speed"... that's the mantra Ballard seems to be repeating and since we don't have a real sample of him picking players, lets assume he will indeed be prioritizing players with some combination of those attributes. It's not going to be easy to incorporate them all for all picks, but try to do it to the best of your ability. Here's my try with it:

 

Round 1: Gareon Conley, CB Ohio State - he fits perfectly, above average height and weight for position and elite speed for the position and size. Very good corner with even greater potential

Round 2: Derek River, OLB, Youngstown state - his weight is not great but he fits the other two criteria and if we need him to gain some muscle and strength, he has a nice frame for it. He is a talented pass-rusher with good technique and elite athletic testing.

Round 3: Tyus Bowser, LB, Houston - a bit raw and might be a bit of a projection moving to an off-the-ball role in the NFL but his physical profile and athleticism are insane - 6'3", 250, elite speed and explosion(jumps) tests.

Round 4.1: Dont'a Foreman, RB, Texas - OK, I cheated here. He probably won't be there on day 3, but he fits perfectly the criteria, big back with good speed. He's not my favorite prospect, but he's probably the best of the big backs in this range. Maybe get Brian Hill if Foreman is unavailable.

Round 4.2: George Kittle, TE, Iowa - big, blocking TE with potential in the passing game because of his athleticism(tested almost as good as David Njoku at the combine).

Round 4.3: Deatrich Wise, DE, Arkansas - tall and long DE, with good speed and burst.

Round 5: Shaquill Griffin, CB, UCF - again good height and weight and elite speed(ran in the 4.30s at the combine).

 

What is your version of "height, weight, speed" draft?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it and it definitely seems "Ballard-like" given no draft history and only going off of what he's preached and done so far in FA. Bowser is a wildcard, as he could go high 2nd to low 3rd, but I'd be ecstatic with those top 3. I'm not on the Foreman hype train, but I wouldn't be upset if we picked him. Awesome post @stitches!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest I would not mind this at all.  All have great attributes and Ballard has definitely continued to mention this.  The benefit to Ballard over Grigson (who hyped the same thing) is CB seems to have a better eye for potential and future pros.  Overall though I like this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

To be honest I would not mind this at all.  All have great attributes and Ballard has definitely continued to mention this.  The benefit to Ballard over Grigson (who hyped the same thing) is CB seems to have a better eye for potential and future pros.  Overall though I like this!

based on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, csmopar said:

based on?

Nothing really.  I just feel like he has a better eye so more of a personal thought than any fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Nothing really.  I just feel like he has a better eye so more of a personal thought than any fact.

Fair enough, I agree with you on CB but was curious as to what you were using as a measuring stick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@stitches I have to give you props for mocking one of my fellow alums in the 2nd round.  That would be the highest a YSU player has been drafted since Ron Jaworski (I think).

 

The other YSU DE, Moss, may also be drafted in the late rounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Shive said:

I like it and it definitely seems "Ballard-like" given no draft history and only going off of what he's preached and done so far in FA. Bowser is a wildcard, as he could go high 2nd to low 3rd, but I'd be ecstatic with those top 3. I'm not on the Foreman hype train, but I wouldn't be upset if we picked him. Awesome post @stitches!

One of the CBS guys (that Bruegler guy, or something like that) put Bowser at #23 this morning...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2017 at 3:10 PM, stitches said:

"Height, weight, speed"... that's the mantra Ballard seems to be repeating and since we don't have a real sample of him picking players, lets assume he will indeed be prioritizing players with some combination of those attributes. It's not going to be easy to incorporate them all for all picks, but try to do it to the best of your ability. Here's my try with it:

 

Round 1: Gareon Conley, CB Ohio State - he fits perfectly, above average height and weight for position and elite speed for the position and size. Very good corner with even greater potential

Round 2: Derek River, OLB, Youngstown state - his weight is not great but he fits the other two criteria and if we need him to gain some muscle and strength, he has a nice frame for it. He is a talented pass-rusher with good technique and elite athletic testing.

Round 3: Tyus Bowser, LB, Houston - a bit raw and might be a bit of a projection moving to an off-the-ball role in the NFL but his physical profile and athleticism are insane - 6'3", 250, elite speed and explosion(jumps) tests.

Round 4.1: Dont'a Foreman, RB, Texas - OK, I cheated here. He probably won't be there on day 3, but he fits perfectly the criteria, big back with good speed. He's not my favorite prospect, but he's probably the best of the big backs in this range. Maybe get Brian Hill if Foreman is unavailable.

Round 4.2: George Kittle, TE, Iowa - big, blocking TE with potential in the passing game because of his athleticism(tested almost as good as David Njoku at the combine).

Round 4.3: Deatrich Wise, DE, Arkansas - tall and long DE, with good speed and burst.

Round 5: Shaquill Griffin, CB, UCF - again good height and weight and elite speed(ran in the 4.30s at the combine).

 

What is your version of "height, weight, speed" draft?

 

 

 checks the boxes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rotoworld mock had Bowser in the 1st this morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, csmopar said:

 

23 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

To be honest I would not mind this at all.  All have great attributes and Ballard has definitely continued to mention this.  The benefit to Ballard over Grigson (who hyped the same thing) is CB seems to have a better eye for potential and future pros.  Overall though I like this!

 

based on?

 

 

Granted, not much to go on, but enough 'there' there to speculate we might have a good one on our hands...

 

"The former Chicago Bears personnel staff member spent 12 seasons with Chicago, including one season as the Director of Pro Scouting (2012). He spent the previous 11 seasons as the Bears Southwest Area Scout (2001-11). During that time, Ballard helped Chicago draft Pro Bowlers Matt Forte, Johnny Knox, Charles Tillman, Tommie Harris and Nathan Vasher."

 

"1. Ballard has been credited with helping Kansas City General Manager John Dorsey remake a roster that went 2-14 in 2012 into a team that has posted four consecutive winning seasons, with three playoff appearances and this season’s AFC West title. Kansas City is 43-21 over the past four seasons.

 

2. Several published reports credit Ballard’s role in evaluating cornerback Marcus Peters, a controversial first-round pick in 2015. At the University of Washington, Peters was suspended for the first quarter of the Fight Hunger Bowl after the 2013 season after he was late turning in a final for a class and had to wait for the grade to post. In a game on Sept. 6, 2014, Peters head-butted an Eastern Washington receiver, drawing a penalty that extended a drive. He refused to let an assistant coach calm him down, throwing down his helmet and gloves, according to a USA Today story. He also failed a drug test for marijuana in 2011.

Ballard spent time with Peters and his family in Oakland and told the Chiefs he would not be a problem. Peters made the Pro Bowl his first two seasons in the NFL."

 

I'm excited to see his M.O. these next few years.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2017 at 1:21 PM, csmopar said:

based on?

He literally could have named anyone and the statement would have been true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Round 1:  Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama - Medicals aside (which I wonder if he tried to avoid on purpose by the way), there's no question he's the most physically gifted ILB in this class in my mind.  He's a missile set to destroy.

Round 2: Jordan Willis, OLB, Kansas State - Yeah, he's all over the place in mocks going anywhere from 1st to 3rd round.  I'll split the difference and call him a 2nd round prospect.  He's an athletic specimen and as far as Edge guys go, second in that area only to Myles Garrett.

Round 3:  Ahkello Witherspoon, CB Colorado - Has some strength he could add, but his length and speed take the cake and he would make a good 3rd round pick.

Round 4.1: Justin Evans, SS, Texas A&M - Put up solid workout numbers on his proday, including a 41.5 inch vertical.  Not blindingly fast, but he will bring the boom.

Round 4.2: Mack Hollins, WR, North Carolina - Yeah, I know he hurt himself at his combine, but he's got a rare blend of size and athleticism.  On tape, he's really good.  Had a good showing against Clemson in 2015 against some top draft talents (i.e. Mackenzie Alexander).   

Round 4.3: Marlon MackRB, South Florida - Not much else can really be said about him thatt hasn't already been said.  He's one of the better day 3 picks and he's athletic enough to be picked here and flashes some power.

Round 5:  Robert Davis, WR, Georgia State - Yeah, I know, 2 WRs.  But the exercise is in athleticism and strength, and Davis has it...all of it...elite-all-of-it.  His tape is sparse and from what I've seen, you'd like to see him draw more targets.  But when your combine results draw comparisons to Julio Jones, and you're the 2nd all time leader in the Sun Belt Conference (coincidentally, second only to TY Hilton), you take a flyer on that kid at some point.  

 

 

Of course, who really knows how the draft will pan out, but I tried to find at least some authority from 1 of the 4 major websites (i.e. ESPN, PFF, CBS, NFL) to slot these players where they were drafted.  Unrealistic, realistic...I don't know.  Doesn't really matter, as we'll find out in a few weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Round 1:  Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama - Medicals aside (which I wonder if he tried to avoid on purpose by the way), there's no question he's the most physically gifted ILB in this class in my mind.  He's a missile set to destroy.

Round 2: Jordan Willis, OLB, Kansas State - Yeah, he's all over the place in mocks going anywhere from 1st to 3rd round.  I'll split the difference and call him a 2nd round prospect.  He's an athletic specimen and as far as Edge guys go, second in that area only to Myles Garrett.

Round 3:  Ahkello Witherspoon, CB Colorado - Has some strength he could add, but his length and speed take the cake and he would make a good 3rd round pick.

Round 4.1: Justin Evans, SS, Texas A&M - Put up solid workout numbers on his proday, including a 41.5 inch vertical.  Not blindingly fast, but he will bring the boom.

Round 4.2: Mack Hollins, WR, North Carolina - Yeah, I know he hurt himself at his combine, but he's got a rare blend of size and athleticism.  On tape, he's really good.  Had a good showing against Clemson in 2015 against some top draft talents (i.e. Mackenzie Alexander).   

Round 4.3: Marlon MackRB, South Florida - Not much else can really be said about him thatt hasn't already been said.  He's one of the better day 3 picks and he's athletic enough to be picked here and flashes some power.

Round 5:  Robert Davis, WR, Georgia State - Yeah, I know, 2 WRs.  But the exercise is in athleticism and strength, and Davis has it...all of it...elite-all-of-it.  His tape is sparse and from what I've seen, you'd like to see him draw more targets.  But when your combine results draw comparisons to Julio Jones, and you're the 2nd all time leader in the Sun Belt Conference (coincidentally, second only to TY Hilton), you take a flyer on that kid at some point.  

 

 

Of course, who really knows how the draft will pan out, but I tried to find at least some authority from 1 of the 4 major websites (i.e. ESPN, PFF, CBS, NFL) to slot these players where they were drafted.  Unrealistic, realistic...I don't know.  Doesn't really matter, as we'll find out in a few weeks.

I was going to say I'd prefer Ryan Switzer later in the draft but Robert Davis sounds very interesting! Need more info on him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

I was going to say I'd prefer Ryan Switzer later in the draft but Robert Davis sounds very interesting! Need more info on him

Unfortunately there just is not enough film out there on the guy. Makes it difficult to be able to verify anything that anyone says about his play. They have one game on Draft breakdown and there is a highlight reel you can find on YouTube but that's about it. The one knock on him that everyone seems to make is that he only accounted for a 31% market share of the team's total passing offense and that he didn't "dominate" inferior competition the same way that Corey Davis did. His team was clearly not a passing team though, so I don't know how much I buy that criticism. With the lack of film out there it's hard to really come to a well informed opinion on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on the "height, weight, speed" montra. I'd go with..

1) LB Reuben Foster

2) CB Quincy Wilson

3) DE Tanoh Kpassagnon (likely gone, backup EDGE Tyus Bowser)

4) G/C Ethan Pocic

4) RB Brian Hill

4) EDGE Daeshon Hall

5) LB Alex Anzalone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...