Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tennessee pro day info

1 hour ago, SP_21 said:

He's more than adequate against the run and can get after the QB. Barnett is a three down Rush backer. 

I also don't see a reason why he couldn't handle himself in short zone coverage. Although it's a moot point because he wouldn't spend much time dropping into coverage anyway. 

Good.  If that's the scouting report on him and how he'll fit into our D, then he's a viable option at 15.

I've liked him since January, but cooled since I've read in multiple places he's not as flexible as desired for a 34 OLB, making him a bit of an NFL tweener. Considering we run the hybrid 34 and more of a 43 a lot of the time, it may not matter that much.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

tumblr_n0k1dtRq0C1r4fk9jo4_250.gif

First, I said he would be a good fit, not a perfect fit. But honestly, I don't see any issues with him. I'm not putting him in a 4-3 front, so his length isn't a problem. I don't see a lack of strength at all. At Rush backer, his usage in space is going to be limited -- maybe 10% of the time will he drop back -- but he does it well enough, has enough bend and flexibility and change of direction to be adequate in short zone coverage and to chase to the flats.

The only thing I agree with is that he's not going to be an other-worldly pass rusher. The question at #15 isn't how many sacks I think he'll get, it's how good of a player he'll be.

Also, I said last year that Joey Bosa probably wouldn't be a big time sack artist, and he proved me wrong in Year 1, without a full camp. I'm learning to leave room for my projections to be inaccurate. 

Those look like pubs. I wasnt quoting you I was using a phrase everyone says. Yea maybe he's decent in a 4-3, IYO he's a good 3-4 scheme fit, but he has no "perfect" scheme fit. We could NEVER drop him in coverage forget it dont even experiment with it throw it in the trash, when he's on the field he's crossing the LOS every play. What I mean by playing in space is setting the edge in the run game, chasing down cut backs when he's back side, and to me his bend and agility rushing the passer is average. Alabama game shows alot of what I'm talking about. Yea he really won't ever be an All-Pro talent probably not even a Pro Bowler and his ceiling is very low, what you've seen is really what your ganna get. Bosa came into the league with an amazing bull rush and elite hand placement and length. He really has 1 technique he's mastered, but he did it flawlessly. Derrek doesn't have a go to move and that bend everybody loves is very sloppy. Doesn't take the sharp angle right off the Ts hip but rounds it off. Pushed off balance too easily because his head is ahead of his feet. All of that is coachable but this is supposed to be his day 1 go to. Might be a good player if used to his best abilities, but if we take him at 15 were passing up on better talent

The scheme fit conversation in this thread highlights a common misperception about a rush backer in our defense...and I think, for some, it goes back to Dwight Freeney.  Freeney wasn't a poor fit because he couldn't play in space, he fit poorly because he couldn't or wouldn't adapt to playing the run.  

Playing in space accounts for such a small piece of the role that it wouldn't have hindered Freeney from finishing his career here.  But...Freeney was a disaster against the run in 2012.

I wouldn't expect Barnett to ever rival Freeney as a pash rusher, but I think he'd bring solid pressure as a rusher and be assignment sound against the run.

37 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

The scheme fit conversation in this thread highlights a common misperception about a rush backer in our defense...and I think, for some, it goes back to Dwight Freeney.  Freeney wasn't a poor fit because he couldn't play in space, he fit poorly because he couldn't or wouldn't adapt to playing the run.  

Playing in space accounts for such a small piece of the role that it wouldn't have hindered Freeney from finishing his career here.  But...Freeney was a disaster against the run in 2012.

I wouldn't expect Barnett to ever rival Freeney as a pash rusher, but I think he'd bring solid pressure as a rusher and be assignment sound against the run.

:thanks: