Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your Top 5 for Our 1st Round Pick

Basically let's narrow down the 1st round pick at number 15. This isn't necessarily who you want at 15, but more so who you think will be there and who you think we would draft. 

Mine are (in no particular order):

1. Forrest Lamp- A blue chip OG who could start day 1 at RG. Ballard wants to build the trenches and he will probably be there at 15

2. Hassan Reddick- Super athletic player that fits best as a 3-4 Will. I think he fits the 3 down coverage LB type that Ballard says he wants. Should be available at 15

3. Reuben Foster- Its hard to imagine that out of the teams in the top 15 the Colts will be the only team who don't care about the off the field stuff. But he also has some medical, football IQ, and size concerns. It's a slim-good chance he drops to us. If he does Ballard might not pass.

4. Charles Harris- Its reported that Ballard likes him. He's a great scheme fit with tremendous length. I think he'll be there at 15 but 15 is a bit high for him. However there are some scenarios where he might be BPA.

5. Gareon Conley- Its a deep CB class. I liked  Sidney Jones for us before the injury. Lattimore is the pick if he falls but if we're looking at CB round 1 and Lattimore is gone, I think his teammate is just as good if not better. He's 6'0" and ran a 4.44 40. He's a press CB so he's a great fit.

I think one of those 5 players will hear their name called at 15.

At Pick #15

1. Hasson Reddick - Inside/ EDGE Backer   -    High-motor, scheme versatile Defender

2. Reuban Foster - Inside Backer                 -    Big thumper, that quarterbacks the Defense and has +Speed

3. Gareon Conley - Cornerback                    -    Great technique, play man-to-man. May be better > Lattimore

4. Charles Harris - Edge Backer                    -   BIG, Spin-cycle like a washing machine that gets after the QB.

5. Quincy Wilson - Cornerback                      -   Big-bodied frame, w/ athleticism & feisty Defender that COVERS

All LBs and CBs, since players have been targeted this offseason at RB, WR, TE, G-C, NT, OLB, and DE but not CB; the need and holes at the position are GLARING. After signing D. Butler, with the caveat of moving him to Safety, I imagine this Pick @ 15 will most likely be a CB, or premier Edge rusher than a CB in round 2 due to the 17' class' being top-heavy with Edge players & has good depth of Corners to be had in the first 3 rounds.

I could also see DL J. Allen being the Selection, IF he falls due to his Arthritic shoulders.

In no order. Guys I think are likely to be there and who could potentially give us a star.

Hassan Reddick

OJ Howard

Dalvin Cook

Taco Charlton

Garreon Conley

And now, guys who remind me of people that KC has picked in recent years that could be sleepers for first or second round

Malik McDowell --- reminds me of Chris Jones who KC picked last year

Christian McCaffrey --- souped up version of Tyreek Hill, but can also be starting RB

Curtis Samuel --- another souped up version of Tyreek Hill.

1 hour ago, BlueTruth said:

At Pick #15

1. Hasson Reddick - Inside/ EDGE Backer   -    High-motor, scheme versatile Defender

2. Reuban Foster - Inside Backer                 -    Big thumper, that quarterbacks the Defense and has +Speed

3. Gareon Conley - Cornerback                    -    Great technique, play man-to-man. May be better > Lattimore

4. Charles Harris - Edge Backer                    -   BIG, Spin-cycle like a washing machine that gets after the QB.

5. Quincy Wilson - Cornerback                      -   Big-bodied frame, w/ athleticism & feisty Defender that COVERS

All LBs and CBssince players have been targeted this offseason at RB, WR, TE, G-C, NT, OLB, and DE but not CB; the need and holes at the position are GLARING. After signing D. Butler, with the caveat of moving him to Safety, I imagine this Pick @ 15 will most likely be a CB, or premier Edge rusher than a CB in round 2 due to the 17' class' being top-heavy with Edge players & has good depth of Corners to be had in the first 3 rounds.

I could also see DL J. Allen being the Selection, IF he falls due to his Arthritic shoulders.

Yeah, ideally I'd like to go CB/LB or LB/CB with our first two picks. Preferably LB first because the CB class is deep. Reddick round 1, Awuzie round 2 is one possibility. On the flip side, Conley 2, and McMillan 2 isn't bad either.

30 minutes ago, FalseStart said:

1a. Barnett DE

1b. Foster ILB

1c. Humphrey CB

1d. Peppers S

1e. Hooker/Lattimore S/CB.

If Hooker falls to us @ 15 that would be crazy! Dude is a ball-hawk and could create a lot of extra possessions for our offense  

D.Barnett

R.Foster

S.Thomas

J.Adams

M. Humphrey

hopefully one of those guys can drop to us in round 1, if not I'd love to trade down 5-6 spots and target someone like Harris, Reddick, Melifonwu, or which ever CB they like best of Jackson, Tabor, or Wilson. 

16 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Adam Stites keeps a mock draft database updated. The most updated version includes 66 different mock drafts, and here’s how those mocks look for the Colts:

1. Haason Reddick, LB,  - 13.6%

1. Reuben Foster, LB,  - 13.6%

3. Dalvin Cook, RB,  - 12.1%

4. Derek Barnett, EDGE, - 9.1%

4. Forrest Lamp, G,  - 9.1%

12% for Cook??? and not a CB on the list??? Hmmmmmm

2 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

12% for Cook??? and not a CB on the list??? Hmmmmmm

ballard has said several times they are going BPA, and specifically they are not drafting for need on defense if they think a better offensive player is there

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/colts-gm-ballard-on-the-draft-we-will-take-the-best-player/

i wont be mad if we get cook but would prefer a LB myself. 

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

ballard has said several times they are going BPA, and specifically they are not drafting for need on defense if they think a better offensive player is there

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/colts-gm-ballard-on-the-draft-we-will-take-the-best-player/

i wont be mad if we get cook but would prefer a LB myself. 

Best case, IMHO, is best D player in the first (CB, ILB, Edge, even S), Mixon in the 2nd. 

17 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Adam Stites keeps a mock draft database updated. The most updated version includes 66 different mock drafts, and here’s how those mocks look for the Colts:

"Others" had the most at 25%.  I think what is SO hard to figure for the Colts is two things: 1) They have SO Many needs that analysts are all over the map with picks, and 2) they have a new GM with no real track record as of yet.  Should be interesting.

19 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

"Others" had the most at 25%.  I think what is SO hard to figure for the Colts is two things: 1) They have SO Many needs that analysts are all over the map with picks, and 2) they have a new GM with no real track record as of yet.  Should be interesting.

Yup, but they weren't mocked enough repeatedly as the others. 

Irsay basically said we're interested in pass rushers and corners yesterday at his meeting, so I think he narrowed it down. 

18 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Irsay spoke about this being a D focused draft.  Trying to get faster on D so for your sake I think the 1st round Cook theory is gone.

6 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Irsay spoke about this being a D focused draft.  Trying to get faster on D so for your sake I think the 1st round Cook theory is gone.

Those aren't mine or anyone predictions. It's the summary of all the mocks that have been made so far from every site/analyst. 

Ive never once advocated for Cook lolol, polar opposite actually. I've preached D all along. 

1 minute ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Those aren't mine or anyone predictions. It's the summary of all the mocks that have been made so far from every site/analyst. 

Ive never once advocated for Cook lolol, polar opposite actually. I've preached D all along. 

That is what I am saying.  I am not referring to any poll but you specifically.  You have been very against the thought of Cook in round 1.  So...I am saying for your sake I believe it is not an option now.  I see Irsay pushing hard for a D playmaker not offense.

6 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

That is what I am saying.  I am not referring to any poll but you specifically.  You have been very against the thought of Cook in round 1.  So...I am saying for your sake I believe it is not an option now.  I see Irsay pushing hard for a D playmaker not offense.

Ahh I totally misread it, my bad. But yeah I was pretty happy to hear that lol. Some will say it's just talk or a smokescreen, but I honestly don't think a RB is even an option for us at 15. 

Just now, Majin Vegeta said:

Ahh I totally misread it, my bad. But yeah I was pretty happy to hear that lol. Some will say it's just talk or a smokescreen, but I honestly don't think a RB is even an option for us at 15. 

I don't see it as smokecreen.  I see that as honesty and telling other teams that we are focused on D prospects so if Riddick is there and another team wants him bad and we do not for some reason maybe we can use it for a trade.  Random example that is highly unlikely. 

20 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I don't see it as smokecreen.  I see that as honesty and telling other teams that we are focused on D prospects so if Riddick is there and another team wants him bad and we do not for some reason maybe we can use it for a trade.  Random example that is highly unlikely. 

I don't see it either.  They are looking long and hard at D.  Which position is anyone's guess.

34 minutes ago, GoColtsGo5150 said:

At #15: 

1. Conley

2. Barnett

3. Jarrad Davis

4. Reddick

5. Humphrey

I would be willing to trade up for Jamal Adams if he falls a little.

I would also look to trade down and see if any of the 5 I've put are still there

We could trade down and get someone like Davis I believe.  Depending on how far we trade back some others might be there.

Now I see why Ballard wants to trade back.  Of these choices people have made, the only ones with a true

round 1 grade (according to NFL Scout consultant Chris Landry) are-

Jonathan Allen  (#2)

Solomon Thomas  (#3)

Malik Hooker  (#4)

Marshon Lattimore  (#6)

Derek Barnett   (#8)

Taco Charleton  (#9)

Rueben Foster  (#10)

Jabril Peppers  (#15)

Forest Lamp  (#18)

Dalvin Cook  (#22)

Marlon Humphrey  (#26)  Last Round one grade prospect

Round 2 grade prospects (50 prospects) -

Charles Harris  (#29)

Takkarist McKinley  (#31)

Haasan Reddick  (#35)

Quincy Wilson  (#41)

Gareon Conley  (#42)

The Colts pick is at number 15.  There are NO QB's ranked in the first round, thus any QB's taken push

down others.  I expect (opinion) no more than 3 in round 1, and only 1 in top 15.  3 RB's are ranked

#11, #22 and #23.

This guy (Chris Landry) ranking them is still being paid by some NFL teams and college programs for his

work/expertise in scouting.  He was hired by Bill Belichick whenat the Browns, and advanced up from

there to actually doing the drafting for teams, and even running the NFL combine.  Family medical caused

him to retire from an NFL club. When Teams kept calling im for his services, he started a 'from Home'

business consulting firm for NFL teams and College programs.

I will cross check with Chris Mattura, Bill Roos, and other former NFL scouts on my list as their evaluations become available to me.

On 3/27/2017 at 2:22 PM, Majin Vegeta said:

Snippets of a scouting report on the guy (Landry)-

His ability to catch and adjust to the ball out of the backfield is elite. He is more athletic on tape than he is during workouts. He is a proven talent who plays quicker and faster than he times in drills because he anticipates defenders. Medical and off-field concerns would be his biggest issue along with ball security problems on the field.

Cook has the best all around RB skills in this draft. He can stay on the field all three downs. He’s got a lot of ability but he’s got on the field problems with ball security and multiple arrests off of it. Cook lacks the power that you may find with some running backs in this year’s draft, but he is a homerun hitter with make you miss ability and big time performances in big games. He generates quite a bot of avoidance yardage with his elusiveness and speed. He has of the same run qualities as former Florida Gator and Jacksonville Jaguars RB Fred Taylor.

Note- Fred Taylor, for those who did not see him, was an incredible talent in his prime.  A game changer.  And part of the two headed Jags monster (along with Rookie Maurice Jones-Drew) that put up the bulk of the 375 rushing yards against the Colt late in the season in 2006, our Super Bowl year. Cook is a homerun hitter in the manner Taylor was.  But Cook does have a Character history  that teams will investigate deeply before investing round 1 money into him.

33 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Snippets of a scouting report on the guy (Landry)-

His ability to catch and adjust to the ball out of the backfield is elite. He is more athletic on tape than he is during workouts. He is a proven talent who plays quicker and faster than he times in drills because he anticipates defenders. Medical and off-field concerns would be his biggest issue along with ball security problems on the field.

Cook has the best all around RB skills in this draft. He can stay on the field all three downs. He’s got a lot of ability but he’s got on the field problems with ball security and multiple arrests off of it. Cook lacks the power that you may find with some running backs in this year’s draft, but he is a homerun hitter with make you miss ability and big time performances in big games. He generates quite a bot of avoidance yardage with his elusiveness and speed. He has of the same run qualities as former Florida Gator and Jacksonville Jaguars RB Fred Taylor.

Note- Fred Taylor, for those who did not see him, was an incredible talent in his prime.  A game changer.  And part of the two headed Jags monster (along with Rookie Maurice Jones-Drew) that put up the bulk of the 375 rushing yards against the Colt late in the season in 2006, our Super Bowl year. Cook is a homerun hitter in the manner Taylor was.  But Cook does have a Character history  that teams will investigate deeply before investing round 1 money into him.

Cook will never be a Colt. 

And he does not have the all around best RB skills in the class, that'd be Joe Mixon. 

3 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Cook will never be a Colt. 

And he does not have the all around best RB skills in the class, that'd be Joe Mixon. 

Neither will Mixon. Some team will very likely take him in round 2 (that is the murmuring), and I have a feeling Irsay will never let Ballard take him until at least round 4... and he won't be there. 

When Landry releases his scouting report on Mixon, we'll see what he says especially compared to Cook.