Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reddmmann

Belichick Cuts Player One Day Before The Sb

So why is he automatically getting a ring? Don't they have to win first or did Belicheck find a way around the camera usage policy again?

I think it is pretty clear that what people meant is that he will get a ring if the Pats win the Super Bowl. Some did not explicitly state the italicized portion, but it was implied. Stop trying to make something out of nothing.

So why is he automatically getting a ring? Don't they have to win first or did Belicheck find a way around the camera usage policy again?

The team can give a ring to whoever they want. Edge got a ring when we won even though he wasn't with the team at all that season. The team decides that the player made a big contribution and without them, they wouldn't have been able to win. So they give him a ring. Underwood has even played for the Pats this season, so you could argue that he deserves a ring if the Pats win more than Edge deserved one when we won

The other reason they probably waited until the last day to release him was because if they did it 1-2 weeks ago, he would become a free agent and then who knows what crazy stuff could happen, the Giants could bring him in and he could divulge the gameplan or something crazy like that.

Can't any team sign a player from another team's practice squad at any time? How does waiting until now prevent the Giants from signing him?

JerodMayo, you claim cutting Underwood is an intelligent decision, then you criticize my intelligence and say I'm blind? You Patriots fans are so blinded by your wins, that you support anything Belichick does. Just because your team is winning doesn't mean everything your head coach is doing is morally right. When you bring your opinions on a Colts forum - what do you think you're going to get? I've got my own opinions and I'm sticking to them.

I read this story this morning and it made me sick. Sure the guy was probably not going to play unless Welker AND Ochocinco broke their legs, but its the fact that the guy had a chance to win a Super Bowl and get that elusive ring. Then a classless, cold-hearted coach comes through and over-strategizes and he gets cut. The guy was good enough to be on the roster for the entire season and now he isn't? The guy they brought up from the practice squad will probably play less than 5 snaps himself... I hope that some how Belichick finds himself in need of a WR and doesn't have it.

The guy was good enough to be on the roster for the entire season and now he isn't? The guy they brought up from the practice squad will probably play less than 5 snaps himself...

If you had read this thread before posting, you would already know that what you say is not true. This guy has been shuffled in and out of the roster all season. This is what happens when you are at the bottom of the 53-man depth chart. You get shuffled in and out depending on need for each game. Heck, there is no guarantee that he would have been on the active 45-man gameday roster even if he wasn't dropped from the 53-man roster. If the guy that they replaced him with ends up playing 5 snaps, then that means it was a good move.

Frankly me dear, I don't give a hoot.

Clearly you do, or you wouldn't have responded. Also, I was being sarcastic.

Can't any team sign a player from another team's practice squad at any time? How does waiting until now prevent the Giants from signing him?

Yes but they must sign that player to their active roster, which means the Giants would have to cut one of their own players to take a player off of the Pats practice squad.. but by releasing Underwood, he would be a free agent and the Giants could do whatever they want with him, they could even hire him as an "assistant" or consultant.. you never know and you dont take any chances with the Super Bowl on the line

I don't understand the presumption that the Pats would have released him and not signed him to the practice squad if they had done it 1-2 weeks ago. I am assuming that they would have signed him to the practice squad either way. I don't see how doing this yesterday is any different from a strategic (i.e. not letting the other team get their hands on him) aspect than doing it 1-2 weeks ago.

JerodMayo, you claim cutting Underwood is an intelligent decision, then you criticize my intelligence and say I'm blind? You Patriots fans are so blinded by your wins, that you support anything Belichick does. Just because your team is winning doesn't mean everything your head coach is doing is morally right. When you bring your opinions on a Colts forum - what do you think you're going to get? I've got my own opinions and I'm sticking to them.

I don't know how you can even bring morals into this discussion, this was a business move made at the highest level of football in the world and it was made to better their chances of winning the biggest game in all of sports. Its not some surprise move either, he has done this with Underwood 3 times this year and hes done it with many other players throughout the year.

Your moral compass argument is the silliest argument I've ever heard when you're talking about a billion dollar BUSINESS that is the National Football League and weakening your team to cater to someones feelings. This isn't church or sunday school, or some Play 60 NFL sponsored event with some kids or something, this is the Super Bowl and he wants his team to win. Those are decisions that any person in any sort of managerial role has to make every single day in this world, making tough decisions that aren't always fun to make but they have to be made. That comes with being a manager or any sort of role that carries a lot of responsibility. There is nothing immoral about him cutting a player to make room for another player from the practice squad that he feels gives his team a better chance to win the Super Bowl.

You just get all caught up and emotional about it because hes a young kid that shaved a Patriot logo into his giant fro of a haircut, but doing that doesn't guarantee you anything.. you have to earn your spot in the biggest game in the world and he didn't earn his spot. He had 3 catches all year long and he was a depth chart guy that couldn't even really provide anything on special teams either. Kevin Faulk, the longest tenured Patriot, is inactive for the game.. Do you think thats "immoral" too? This is the NFL, where MEN who are some of the best athletes in the world have to compete every single day of their lives to earn playing time.

Your moral argument is insanely flawed and one of the craziest arguments ive ever seen presented for a professional sport. Underwood has been a bench warmer all year long and has been cut 3 separate times to make room for a practice squad player. He wouldn't have played in the Super Bowl regardless because he would have never made the active 45 man roster for this game. Your hatred of the Patriots and Belichick has completely clouded your judgment on this particular issue, and its not just this issue, I've been a member of these boards for a long, long time and just about all of your posts regarding the Patriots are full of emotion, bias and hatred. You're obviously very bitter towards them and nothing they ever do is positive in your eyes, you always paint everything that they do out to be evil, immoral or classless...

I don't understand the presumption that the Pats would have released him and not signed him to the practice squad if they had done it 1-2 weeks ago. I am assuming that they would have signed him to the practice squad either way. I don't see how doing this yesterday is any different from a strategic (i.e. not letting the other team get their hands on him) aspect than doing it 1-2 weeks ago.

You can't immediately sign a player back to your practice squad, I believe they have to become a free agent and it can take several days before you can sign them back to the practice squad but I may be wrong. What is the point in doing that when you already have Silvestro on your practice squad... then you can still practice with both players and then make your decision as the game approaches as to which way you want to go. Also, like I said, everything is making it out to be some horrible thing that he was cut, and I'll admit that has to be a big time bummer for him, but he wouldn't have even been active for the game anyways so its not like he would have played in the game regardless of him being cut or not. He also got to experience the entire Super Bowl week and be part of the team photo, things that he would have been denied had he been cut 1-2 weeks prior. At least he still got to experience all of that, but some of you are arguing that it would have been better to snub him out of the entire Super Bowl experience and the team photo by cutting him earlier...

Also, like I said, everything is making it out to be some horrible thing that he was cut, and I'll admit that has to be a big time bummer for him, but he wouldn't have even been active for the game anyways so its not like he would have played in the game regardless of him being cut or not. He also got to experience the entire Super Bowl week and be part of the team photo, things that he would have been denied had he been cut 1-2 weeks prior. At least he still got to experience all of that, but some of you are arguing that it would have been better to snub him out of the entire Super Bowl experience and the team photo by cutting him earlier...

If you read what I have written in this thread, I have not tried to demonize Belichick for cutting him. I don't understand the need of some people to cast Belichick in a negative light for every little move that he makes. I just didn't understand the supposed tactical advantage of cutting him yesterday compared to 1-2 weeks ago that you were trying to promote....and I still don't. Anything that could have happened 1-2 weeks ago could have happened yesterday. If anything, it is probably a bigger risk to cut him yesterday because he has been exposed to the game plan all week in practice and would have more info to give the Giants if they hired him as a "consultant." Two weeks ago, they would not have started working on the game plan yet in practice. I don't agree with the attempts from some Colts fans to paint Belichick as the devil incarnate, but I also don't agree with the attempts from some Pats fans to paint everything that he does as an ingenius tactical move. This is routine roster juggling, nothing more, nothing less. Every team does it; they just don't all do it the day before the Super Bowl.

You cant do that..

Cut him at the start of the week...

You cant bring him to the site of the game and then cut him...

It would have been MUCH better to cut him before you let him think he was on the team..

...He knew he wanst playing but now he's not on the team..and he (and his family) find out the night before...?

Poor decision...

I don't know how you can even bring morals into this discussion, this was a business move made at the highest level of football in the world and it was made to better their chances of winning the biggest game in all of sports. Its not some surprise move either, he has done this with Underwood 3 times this year and hes done it with many other players throughout the year.

Your moral compass argument is the silliest argument I've ever heard when you're talking about a billion dollar BUSINESS that is the National Football League and weakening your team to cater to someones feelings. This isn't church or sunday school, or some Play 60 NFL sponsored event with some kids or something, this is the Super Bowl and he wants his team to win. Those are decisions that any person in any sort of managerial role has to make every single day in this world, making tough decisions that aren't always fun to make but they have to be made. That comes with being a manager or any sort of role that carries a lot of responsibility. There is nothing immoral about him cutting a player to make room for another player from the practice squad that he feels gives his team a better chance to win the Super Bowl.

You just get all caught up and emotional about it because hes a young kid that shaved a Patriot logo into his giant fro of a haircut, but doing that doesn't guarantee you anything.. you have to earn your spot in the biggest game in the world and he didn't earn his spot. He had 3 catches all year long and he was a depth chart guy that couldn't even really provide anything on special teams either. Kevin Faulk, the longest tenured Patriot, is inactive for the game.. Do you think thats "immoral" too? This is the NFL, where MEN who are some of the best athletes in the world have to compete every single day of their lives to earn playing time.

Your moral argument is insanely flawed and one of the craziest arguments ive ever seen presented for a professional sport. Underwood has been a bench warmer all year long and has been cut 3 separate times to make room for a practice squad player. He wouldn't have played in the Super Bowl regardless because he would have never made the active 45 man roster for this game. Your hatred of the Patriots and Belichick has completely clouded your judgment on this particular issue, and its not just this issue, I've been a member of these boards for a long, long time and just about all of your posts regarding the Patriots are full of emotion, bias and hatred. You're obviously very bitter towards them and nothing they ever do is positive in your eyes, you always paint everything that they do out to be evil, immoral or classless...

I value football for its integrity and values. I don't like football being seen as nothing more than a business. I wish Belichick would show more compassion for his players. Were you not the least bit concerned when they traded either Seymour, Vrabel, Moss, etc.? Those players defined the Patriots, yet Belichick kicked them to the curb for the sake of business. Young kids look up to some of these athletes, and now their parents have to explain to them why they aren't on the team. This scenario with Underwood is just one example of Belichick believing players are commodities. I don't mind him being cut, but the decision on when to do it was heartless.

From a Colts perspective, I would be enraged if we had traded Wayne, Freeney, Mathis, Manning, Harrison, etc. These players have defined the Colts for years.

I just wish Belichick would put his concept of business and winning aside and recognize football as something more than that. As for hating me for injecting morality into my argument, I'm sorry that I have a heart and I'm sorry you do not have one.

Yay the Giants win! Hey, sorry to the Pats fans I offended in this thread. I was just juiced up for the Superbowl.