Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Joe Mixon makes sense for Colts

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't we have enough Joe Mixon threads already ? This has been talked about to death in about 6-7 other threads.He is a great RB, and If you like him great, if you don't that's great to, nobody's mind is getting changed on this at this point. In the end it comes down to If Irsay and his daughters want the guy, none of us know the answer to that so lets just leave it alone already.

4 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

Don't we have enough Joe Mixon threads already ? This has been talked about to death in about 6-7 other threads.He is a great RB, and If you like him great, if you don't that's great to, nobody's mind is getting changed on this at this point. In the end it comes down to If Irsay and his daughters want the guy, none of us know the answer to that so lets just leave it alone already.

It's the off season, that's what we do here.  Heck, a newly signed backup long snapper has his own thread. 

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

It's the off season, that's what we do here.  Heck, a newly signed backup long snapper has his own thread. 

Yeah but the problem is no one is debating if he's a good athlete. We all know he's a great RB. What is debated is how you feel about what he did, and that just leads to verbal assaults, some posters on here are in every Joe MIxon thread talking about how great he is but want to attack those who feel differently and are voicing that. It's just bad, especially when this comes down to one man's beliefs and no one knows what they are.

2 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

Yeah but the problem is no one is debating if he's a good athlete. We all know he's a great RB. What is debated is how you feel about what he did, and that just leads to verbal assaults, some posters on here are in every Joe MIxon thread talking about how great he is but want to attack those who feel differently and are voicing that. It's just bad, especially when this comes down to one man's beliefs and no one knows what they are.

What I'm seeing is the debate on if or when we should draft him.  Most agree he's one of the top 3 RBs in the draft.

Yes, some people will never get over that video.  Some will never get over Mike Vick.  Everyone has their right to their opinion.

To me, he's the story of the draft this year, and that's why we talk about him.  No matter how you feel, it's going to be very interesting to see which day his name will be called.  I thought we ruled him out based on what Ballard said earlier, but after reading the article Majin posted I'm not so sure.

3 hours ago, LockeDown said:

I spent time looking over the  local articles when this happened and easily the majority of men felt the same way I do.  Of course women do.  That leaves a small minority of the community where it happened who were more concerned about his NFL career. All of the men repeated the same thing...a  man doesn't hit a woman unless she is threatening his life with a weapon.  If a man is threatened by a woman w/o a weapon so that he needs to hit her, he isn't much of a man.  There are women on this board and it's downright embarrassing that they have to read drivel like yours that you dont think this is all that bad.  

All who oppose drafting him feel it's not ok hitting a woman.

None of us who wouldn't mind us drafting him said it was ok hitting a woman.

YOU HOWEVER said that he is fortunate that he is not in prison. You categorise him as the same mentality as a murderer.

Now Don't you think you went a wee bit overboard?

30 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

What I'm seeing is the debate on if or when we should draft him.  Most agree he's one of the top 3 RBs in the draft.

Yes, some people will never get over that video.  Some will never get over Mike Vick.  Everyone has their right to their opinion.

To me, he's the story of the draft this year, and that's why we talk about him.  No matter how you feel, it's going to be very interesting to see which day his name will be called.  I thought we ruled him out based on what Ballard said earlier, but after reading the article Majin posted I'm not so sure.

Maybe you should re-read this tread, because their are about 3 spots where his draft position is debated...all the rest are debates about the charterer..with some really being close to attacks against a posters actual beliefs.

6 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

Maybe you should re-read this tread, because their are about 3 spots where his draft position is debated...all the rest are debates about the charterer..with some really being close to attacks against a posters actual beliefs.

I just went through the entire thread again.  There was some discussion on how Ballard was involved in selecting some KC players with off the field issues.  There were a couple posts about Mixon being a criminal.

But a majority of the posts are related to if/when he'll be drafted.  His character is the reason it's if and when.

TBH, I stay away from the personal attacks or strong emotionally driven posts. 

You started by saying you thought we had enough Mixon threads and we should just let it go.  I was just responding to you, saying that's what we do in the off season.  Except for a few posts, I think it's a good discussion.

Well.... let me start by saying I was raised to never hit a woman.  Now, as a trained investigator, granted I'm only going off the video and I have no other information, I'm gonna say a few things that are gonna upset some of you. 

From a legal point of view, at approximately 38 seconds, the woman pushes him(legally committing battery as defined by law), she does it again, a second later, this time slapping her right hand on his neck(battery again, and legally could be pushed up to assault since it hit a vital strike zone), Mixon than swings and at 40 seconds, makes contact with the woman who collapses to the ground. Now, Mixon was charged with assault in this so obviously there's more to this than what I've seen, however, I'd charged the woman as well.  At the minimum, a misdemeanor battery charge.  Legally, she struck first and honestly, a competent defense attorney could probably have gotten him off with a solid self defense argument.  

All that said, it's now been over 2 years from that incident and I am unaware of any other situations that he's been involved in.  If I truly thought he could help the team, I'd draft him but not on day 1.  

4 hours ago, LockeDown said:

I spent time looking over the  local articles when this happened and easily the majority of men felt the same way I do.  Of course women do.  That leaves a small minority of the community where it happened who were more concerned about his NFL career. All of the men repeated the same thing...a  man doesn't hit a woman unless she is threatening his life with a weapon.  If a man is threatened by a woman w/o a weapon so that he needs to hit her, he isn't much of a man.  There are women on this board and it's downright embarrassing that they have to read drivel like yours that you dont think this is all that bad.  

45 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

YOU HOWEVER said that he is fortunate that he is not in prison. You categorise him as the same mentality as a murderer.

^ This. Plus, I hope you don't like guys like:

- Dalvin Cook - was charged with punching a woman in the face multiple times, but the case was dropped (if he had a weapon, murder).

Cam Robinson - was arrested on felony weapon charges for possession of a stolen gun (HE HAD A WEAPON, murder).

- Haason Reddick - him and teammate Dion Dawkins were charged with assaulting another student (male, so it probably makes no difference to you), breaking his right orbital bone and giving him a concussion in '15 (if they had a weapon, murder).

Times are changing and its not always the black and white "don't hit a woman, unless they have a weapon" anymore. Unfortunately, some women attempt to take advantage of this social norm and hit men because they know men shouldn't hit them back. Hell, domestic violence where the woman is the abuser is way higher than it used to be. I'm still not saying its ok to hit a woman, but have some perspective.

1 hour ago, James Ducheteau said:

some posters on here are in every Joe MIxon thread talking about how great he is but want to attack those who feel differently and are voicing that. It's just bad, especially when this comes down to one man's beliefs and no one knows what they are.

It's generally the other way around. There are the folks saying that they'd be ok with us drafting him, then there are the folks that are vehemently against it and insult the people that don't think 1 mistake 3 years ago should be reason for this kid to be in prison and banned from the NFL.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Some unnamed people are an uppity posters who can't stand anyone who disagrees with them.

4 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I get that but scouts found them he talked to them, but ultimately his head was not on the block for the pick.  He did not actually draft them.  So comparing that situation to the Colts is obsolete. 

Yes he has a different position with the Colts.  But there is a reason why a lot of people go from VP of Football Operations to GM... it's because that is the step below and in a football organization and like in any business if you want to be promoted or get hired at another company at a higher position you do the work on the position you want, not the position you have.

Whether or not he has the same philosophy as a GM, I don't know he hasn't specifically stated but I do know he was a large part in drafting Peters and Hill, so I would not be surprised if he brings that same philosophy to the Colts.

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yes he has a different position with the Colts.  But there is a reason why a lot of people go from VP of Football Operations to GM... it's because that is the step below and in a football organization and like in any business if you want to be promoted or get hired at another company at a higher position you do the work on the position you want, not the position you have.

Whether or not he has the same philosophy as a GM, I don't know he hasn't specifically stated but I do know he was a large part in drafting Peters and Hill, so I would not be surprised if he brings that same philosophy to the Colts.

I will not disagree that you want to show your ability to do the job for the next spot.  What I can say is that did he help is drafting someone...yes.  Has he drafted anyone....no!  You cannot argue that and trying to relate the two things again is obsolete.  The organization is different all around.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Well.... let me start by saying I was raised to never hit a woman.  Now, as a trained investigator, granted I'm only going off the video and I have no other information, I'm gonna say a few things that are gonna upset some of you. 

From a legal point of view, at approximately 38 seconds, the woman pushes him(legally committing battery as defined by law), she does it again, a second later, this time slapping her right hand on his neck(battery again, and legally could be pushed up to assault since it hit a vital strike zone), Mixon than swings and at 40 seconds, makes contact with the woman who collapses to the ground. Now, Mixon was charged with assault in this so obviously there's more to this than what I've seen, however, I'd charged the woman as well.  At the minimum, a misdemeanor battery charge.  Legally, she struck first and honestly, a competent defense attorney could probably have gotten him off with a solid self defense argument.  

All that said, it's now been over 2 years from that incident and I am unaware of any other situations that he's been involved in.  If I truly thought he could help the team, I'd draft him but not on day 1.  

Interesting point of view, thanks for posting.  I was raised like you... never hit a woman as a matter of fact I was told by my dad that if I did, he would beat me half to death just so the other half would wish he had done the whole thing.  So I can't stand it.  Of course I was also raised in an age before their were youtube videos of teenage girls attacking and pummeling other people and sending them to the hospital.  And IMO, that makes the difference in this case, I don't know who started it (that is a matter of he said/she said) but I do know she struck first and as reprehensible as his response was it does not seem to be a trend with him and quite frankly, put into his shoes and in that same situation I'm not 100% sure how I would have reacted.

2 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I will not disagree that you want to show your ability to do the job for the next spot.  What I can say is that did he help is drafting someone...yes.  Has he drafted anyone....no!  You cannot argue that and trying to relate the two things again is obsolete.  The organization is different all around.

Oh brother.  Actually I can argue that because we really have no idea what happens in the war room.  Maybe the GM told him, that it's his call but if it doesn't work out then it's his rear end in the fire.

I don't know and neither do you.

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Oh brother.  Actually I can argue that because we really have no idea what happens in the war room.  Maybe the GM told him, that it's his call but if it doesn't work out then it's his rear end in the fire.

I don't know and neither do you.

Agree to disagree.

24 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Interesting point of view, thanks for posting.  I was raised like you... never hit a woman as a matter of fact I was told by my dad that if I did, he would beat me half to death just so the other half would wish he had done the whole thing.  So I can't stand it.  Of course I was also raised in an age before their were youtube videos of teenage girls attacking and pummeling other people and sending them to the hospital.  And IMO, that makes the difference in this case, I don't know who started it (that is a matter of he said/she said) but I do know she struck first and as reprehensible as his response was it does not seem to be a trend with him and quite frankly, put into his shoes and in that same situation I'm not 100% sure how I would have reacted.

honestly, that's probably why he got a plea deal and only 100 hours of community service and the assault charge dropped.  The prosecution knew they'd have a tough sell to a jury/judge once that video was made public.

7 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I'm less offended by certain types of murderers.

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

honestly, that's probably why he got a plea deal and only 100 hours of community service and the assault charge dropped.  The prosecution knew they'd have a tough sell to a jury/judge once that video was made public.

Yes, I'm sure the public would have been outraged by a smack that wouldn't have dented a tin can.

10 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Yes, I'm sure the public would have been outraged by a smack that wouldn't have dented a tin can.

No. You've missed the point entirely. The point is she made physical contact with him first. The shove and then the smack, as light as they were, is still grounds that a defense attorney can and would use to get him off on a set defense deal. She committed battery, like it or not.  I've seen offenders get off for much much less. 

No. You've missed the point entirely. The point is she made physical contact with him first. The shove and then the smack, as light as they were, is still grounds that a defense attorney can and would use to get him off on a set defense deal. She committed battery, like it or not.  I've seen offenders get off for much much less. 

I didn't miss the point at all.  I just disagree with you.  I don't think that video, if made public, would have swayed people at all.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

I didn't miss the point at all.  I just disagree with you.  I don't think that video, if made public, would have swayed people at all.

You're hung up on the public, they don't matter.  I'm talking about that video being showed in court. Based on that video, a self defense claim would have been argued. Probably successfully since he took one swing and walked away.  That said, I think he's learned his lesson and I can't seem to find any other incidents 

You're hung up on the public, they don't matter.  I'm talking about that video being showed in court. Based on that video, a self defense claim would have been argued. Probably successfully since he took one swing and walked away.  That said, I think he's learned his lesson and I can't seem to find any other incidents 

well, you could have simply said "shown in court" instead if "made public."

I find it difficult to believe the defense would have accepted a deal that could have derailed his career if they believed they had a good shot at winning.

Mixon was suspended one game the next season for being somewhat aggressive with a female parking attendant.  

3 hours ago, BOTT said:

Not sure I follow you here?

The video WAS  made public,  by the defense team.    They wanted to get out in front of the prosecution releasing it.

It's all over the internet,  and not hard to find....

Or, am I misreading your meaning?

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

Interesting if this is your viewpoint?

The shove was nothing....    but the smack was a tremendous hit for a woman.    Nixon said to police that he'd never been hit so hard in life.     That he thought it was like being hit by a guy.

You're the first person I've ever seen call her hitting him "light"....      

Is that what you meant?

55 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not sure I follow you here?

The video WAS  made public,  by the defense team.    They wanted to get out in front of the prosecution releasing it.

It's all over the internet,  and not hard to find....

Or, am I misreading your meaning?

cmopar felt that making the video public at the time of the trial would have influenced the jury or judge thus the prosecution cut a deal.  I don't think the video was released until recently....and only after a suit was brought for its release.

54 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting if this is your viewpoint?

The shove was nothing....    but the smack was a tremendous hit for a woman.    Nixon said to police that he'd never been hit so hard in life.     That he thought it was like being hit by a guy.

You're the first person I've ever seen call her hitting him "light"....      

Is that what you meant?

What was Mixon supposed to say?  "I barely felt it"

and if you watch the video the slap doesn't even move his head.

Just now, BOTT said:

What was Mixon supposed to say?  "I barely felt it"

and if you watch the video the slap doesn't even move his head.

He's roughly a foot taller and more than 100 pounds heavier.    A shot from a woman that small is not going to move his head.

But her slap was quite a hit.    She got all of him with that slap.     I don't doubt his comment.

As I've stated in past threads,  this might just play out well for the young lady,  who I know you're concerned for, as am I....

If Mixon goes on Day 2, and even in the 2nd round,  his money will be so good that her likely civil lawsuit it going to earn her a good chunk of Mixon's money and I'm all for that.     

She can get help in the civil trial and hopefully that will help Mixon move on with his life and put this behind him.

To be clear,  another thought....

I hope whatever teams drafts Mixon make it clear to him that they don't want his civil case to go to trial.    They don't want that playing out in the news every day.     The team doesn't want that headache.

The team should make it clear that they want Mixon and his legal team to initiate settlement talks.    He can sign over a chunk of his signing bonus,  and then sign over a percentage of his salary in years 2, 3 and 4 of his rookie contract.

If Joe Mixon is who most everyone thinks he is,  he'll be making plenty of money during his career.   

But to have a trial play out at the start of his career is something that no one should want....

Settle it quickly and, if possible,  quietly.    Get t done.

well, i just watched the video. it was not pretty. he hit her full force, just like he was assaulting a guy. and while she shoved him, she did so after he feinted in her direction as if he were going to attack her. 

man. that was not good. I don't know how he didn't face charges.

33 minutes ago, Gigc said:

well, i just watched the video. it was not pretty. he hit her full force, just like he was assaulting a guy. and while she shoved him, she did so after he feinted in her direction as if he were going to attack her. 

Yeah that video wasn't a good look. Not much else to say about that.

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

To be clear,  another thought....

I hope whatever teams drafts Mixon make it clear to him that they don't want his civil case to go to trial.    They don't want that playing out in the news every day.     The team doesn't want that headache.

The team should make it clear that they want Mixon and his legal team to initiate settlement talks.    He can sign over a chunk of his signing bonus,  and then sign over a percentage of his salary in years 2, 3 and 4 of his rookie contract.

If Joe Mixon is who most everyone thinks he is,  he'll be making plenty of money during his career.   

But to have a trial play out at the start of his career is something that no one should want....

Settle it quickly and, if possible,  quietly.    Get t done.

Teams shouldn't get involved in players' legal matters, try to get them to plead this or that, even in civil court, not even for a noise violation citation or a speeding ticket.

That's how cases like Brian Banks get so screwed up.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Just an update - it appears that the Dolphins are out, according to this article.  I originally thought when Ballard said he wanted players the fans could be proud of, that he was ruling Mixon out.  I'm not so sure from his last statement.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2017/03/dolphins-wont-draft-joe-mixon

I think it was an ambiguous statement that could be take 2 ways, depending on what your stance on guys with character red flags.

1. We're only taking guys of a high moral fiber.

2. We're taking talented guys that will make us a good team.

It's a smart move, because it generally pacified both sides and leaves us really not knowing what to expect.

On 3/25/2017 at 1:51 PM, Gigc said:

I'm pretty sure it was that she pushed him, he jumped, she hit him, then he hit her.

I've maintained before that in that situation, I don't believe it would have been any different if it was a guy, other than it may have not been a jump after the push, it would've been a punch.

To me, the jump is one of two things:

1. A warning.

2. Him wanting to throw a punch, but knowing it was a female and not, until she hits him.

As always, I don't condone the action. I just like to provide potential different prospectives.