Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Joe Mixon makes sense for Colts

I'm not saying draft Mixon in the 1st, but I think he'd be a great fit and would make this offense elite if Ballard got him early in the 3rd. If he starts rising in draft stock, may have to get him late round 2.

-First, he would have veteran leadership at the RB position to help him mature in Frank Gore and Turbin.

-Second, he wouldn't be asked to be the guy right away, since Gore is still here. He could take over possibly mid season if he's ready or in 2018.

-He's a great pass catching, space RB which Indy needs since Andrew needs an elite option out of the backfield to throw to.

-I believe he is best in a zone blocking scheme, which I believe Indy has switched to now.

-And finally, because Ballard has shown to take a chance on a player who made a bad mistake before (Marcus Peters, Tyreek Hill)

Obviously Ballard would have to be sure that Mixon has shown signs of maturity since his incident, but this locker room seems to have gotten stronger with the addition of Simon and a strong RB group to help guide him to be a star.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

And finally, because Ballard has shown to take a chance on a player who made a bad mistake before (Marcus Peters, Tyreek Hill)

This is still a common misconception.  He helped in looking into these players but Ballard did not draft these guys.  Dorsey and the owner and even Andy Reid more than likely had input in drafting these guys.  Now that Ballard is in a different position he might or might not consider him.  Different organization all around!

5 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

This is still a common misconception.  He helped in looking into these players but Ballard did not draft these guys.  Dorsey and the owner and even Andy Reid more than likely had input in drafting these guys.  Now that Ballard is in a different position he might or might not consider him.  Different organization all around!

So by some here, Ballard gets major props on picking players that has built KC into a solid team. However, he has no reponsibility in drafting bad boys Marcus Peters and Tyreek Hill,

6 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

So by some here, Ballard gets major props on picking players that has built KC into a solid team. However, he has no reponsibility in drafting bad boys Marcus Peters and Tyreek Hill,

When Ballard didn't draft them directly why should there be attention to Peters and Hill?

Every team in the league hits and misses so there is no drama here.

3 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I have never said anything about him drafting anyone.  Because he has not and never has.  He has merely helped in finding potential guys for Dorsey and even the Bears.  He was Director of Football Operations and a scout before that.  He can find talent I will give him that but he has yet to draft anyone.  Just saying that since KC drafted 2 guys with a pass directly correlates to Ballard is simply not true.

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

I have never said anything about him drafting anyone.  Because he has not and never has.  He has merely helped in finding potential guys for Dorsey and even the Bears.  He was Director of Football Operations and a scout before that.  He can find talent I will give him that but he has yet to draft anyone.  Just saying that since KC drafted 2 guys with a pass directly correlates to Ballard is simply not true.

I agree with that. This his first gig as GM, his slate is clean. But my post was directed at others. Just a couple days ago aposter was telling another poster to "relax, Ballard has a HISTORY of BUILDING UP TEAMS". Quite a acomplishment when the colts are his first gig as GM.

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I agree with that. This his first gig as GM, his slate is clean. But my post was directed at others. Just a couple days ago aposter was telling another poster to "relax, Ballard has a HISTORY of BUILDING UP TEAMS". Quite a acomplishment when the colts are his first gig as GM.

Ok I gotcha now.  I did not quit understand your post to be honest.  I agree though, some expect things to translate for how the Chiefs are ran but everything will be different.

49 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I'm not saying draft Mixon in the 1st, but I think he'd be a great fit and would make this offense elite if Ballard got him early in the 3rd. If he starts rising in draft stock, may have to get him late round 2.

-First, he would have veteran leadership at the RB position to help him mature in Frank Gore and Turbin.

-Second, he wouldn't be asked to be the guy right away, since Gore is still here. He could take over possibly mid season if he's ready or in 2018.

-He's a great pass catching, space RB which Indy needs since Andrew needs an elite option out of the backfield to throw to.

-I believe he is best in a zone blocking scheme, which I believe Indy has switched to now.

-And finally, because Ballard has shown to take a chance on a player who made a bad mistake before (Marcus Peters, Tyreek Hill)

Obviously Ballard would have to be sure that Mixon has shown signs of maturity since his incident, but this locker room seems to have gotten stronger with the addition of Simon and a strong RB group to help guide him to be a star.

The buzz in the NFL grapevine is that Mixon will be long gone before the 3rd.

Bill Polian stated this on ESPN a few weeks ago,  and now I'm reading more and more that some teams might even be tempted to take him with a late first round pick.     Certainly no later than the 2nd round.     And, if by some chance he happened to fall all the way to the 3rd,   he's not lasting an additional 16 picks until our pick in that round.

This is not happening.     There have been ZERO reports of Mixon being connected to the Colts.    We've shown ZERO INTEREST.       It appears that the Mixon to the Colts ship has sailed.

If it happens,  there should be great surprise here....    so I wouldn't get my hopes up....   not even a little...

40 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I seriously doubt he makes it to the Colts 2nd pick in the draft. Very possibly the best RB in the draft. 

Guaranteed, the teams that are thinking about drafting him already have his script ready, and are ready to romance the press with 'second chances' speeches.

Even though our owner should totally agree with people getting second chances, his daughter is very instrumental in running the team.

And we all heard Ballard say he's bringing in "Players the fans can be proud of". 

Personally, I'd love to see Mixon in the second if he makes it that far.  But even if he does, I really doubt we'll draft him.  Ballard is going to look like a hypocrite if we do.

I was just thinking - what if both Mixon and McCaffrey were available with our 2nd.  It's almost like choosing good versus evil.  Heck, one guy's name is Christian!

(I'm not saying Mixon is evil, although I know he's perceived that way by some.)

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

With so many holes on defense, this seems like a good reason to go after a RB in the later rounds and/or address it more aggressively next off season...

I want Mixon probably more than any other RB in this draft honestly. Elite combination of size and speed, I think he's likely the best all-around back in the draft. Breaks long runs like Cook due to his even better speed, his 40 time for a guy at his weight is extremely impressive. Fournette has a history of injury problems that will not be helped by his style of play, and neither he nor Cook look as good catching the ball out of the backfield. Not to mention the turnover issues with both Cook and Fournette.

For the people who don't want him on the team because of his off field issues (well, issue, really), I understand where you are coming from. But he was an 18 year old kid at the time, possibly intoxicated (not sure about this part) when some girl got up in his face, seemingly unprovoked, and started spewing racial slurs. His response was not okay, but in some ways I can see why it happened. Since then he has not had any issues and seems like a well-spoken guy who is genuinely trying to repay the debt that he owes due to his actions.

I'm not trying to exculpate him, but I think he seems like he's matured and moved past this event, and hopefully some NFL vets and coaches keeping him on the right path will be all that is needed. How many of you have never made a mistake or done something illegal when you were young, immature, and still trying to prove that you are "tough" or have something to prove? I bet not many of you. I also bet that most/all of you were fortunate enough to not have that event captured on camera and put online and on TV for the world to see and judge you based upon that one event. 

I just think that his talent level is too high to pass on him for a mistake that happened years ago. Gore doesn't have much left in the tank, and certainly doesn't have that extra gear that Mixon has that can turn a 8 yard gain into a touchdown. I'd be thrilled with him in the second round, or if nobody at 15 is available that we really want/need, we could possibly trade back to later in the first to take Mixon, while picking up a later pick. With his stock rising rapidly, I'm not even sure he'll be there at our 2nd pick. Obviously it will all depend on how this draft unfolds, but I think completely writing this guy off is a big mistake.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

He definitely had a hand in drafting Peters. During the pre-draft process, Ballard flew out to Oakland and visited Peters and his parents for a day. I doubt Dorsey sends him out there if Ballard's input isn't valued. He obviously didn't make the final call, but he signed off on it (according to his quotes)...which would somewhat indicate he is willing to take a chance on players with character concerns.

Not sure about Hill though.

Edit: I think I misread your comment. Just ignore it.

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He is going to be a PR nightmare for any team that drafts him

Could be, but not if its handled properly. They would have to get out in front of it with the "we did extensive research and interviews to really get to know who Joe really is. While we don't condone his actions, we feel that he deserves a 2nd chance and we also believe that Joe will prove to be a true 'Horseshoe guy' on this team". Then cue the part about the support the team will give him, etc.

7 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Even though our owner should totally agree with people getting second chances, his daughter is very instrumental in running the team.

And we all heard Ballard say he's bringing in "Players the fans can be proud of". 

Personally, I'd love to see Mixon in the second if he makes it that far.  But even if he does, I really doubt we'll draft him.  Ballard is going to look like a hypocrite if we do.

I could see Irsay's daughter having an huge issue with it if it was a domestic violence issue, but to me, this was a temper/anger management issue. I believe that if a guy did the same thing to him, he would have had the same reaction. He actually may have punched as soon as the push happened..

I also thought about the "Players the fans can be proud of" as a sign that we weren't going after guys like that, but I'm not so sure. He could very well mean that they're bringing in talented players that will help us win. I think the ambiguity of his statement was intentional, as it leaves it to the individual to determine what that means to them.

4 minutes ago, gregr507 said:

For the people who don't want him on the team because of his off field issues (well, issue, really), I understand where you are coming from. But he was an 18 year old kid at the time, possibly intoxicated (not sure about this part) when some girl got up in his face, seemingly unprovoked, and started spewing racial slurs. His response was not okay, but in some ways I can see why it happened. Since then he has not had any issues and seems like a well-spoken guy who is genuinely trying to repay the debt that he owes due to his actions.

1. He stated at the time that he wasn't drinking and that he has never touched a drop of alcohol.

2. She wasn't entirely unprovoked, as it was reported that outside Mixon and his friends made fun of one of her friends (gay slurs), then he followed her inside. The incident ensued.

3. The police report stated that he said that she didn't make any racial slurs, it was one of her friends.

4. I saw it as a high tension situation where she pushed him, he jumped at her (to me a warning), she hit him (despite the warning, which most likely came from the belief that she could do hit him without consequences because she's a girl), then he decked her.

I've said it in many threads previously; if our FO does their homework on Mixon and they feel comfortable, I'm all for it (outside of the 1st round).

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

The buzz in the NFL grapevine is that Mixon will be long gone before the 3rd.

Bill Polian stated this on ESPN a few weeks ago,  and now I'm reading more and more that some teams might even be tempted to take him with a late first round pick.     Certainly no later than the 2nd round.     And, if by some chance he happened to fall all the way to the 3rd,   he's not lasting an additional 16 picks until our pick in that round.

This is not happening.     There have been ZERO reports of Mixon being connected to the Colts.    We've shown ZERO INTEREST.       It appears that the Mixon to the Colts ship has sailed.

If it happens,  there should be great surprise here....    so I wouldn't get my hopes up....   not even a little...

Reportedly, he was going to be speak with 24 teams (75% of the NFL) during his Pro Day. Beyond CIN, CLE, DET and NO, I haven't seen any other teams mentioned specifically. But given the Colts need at RB, I don't think it's a stretch to assume they were one of those 20 remaining teams.

I will say this...I have no idea who Ballard likes at RB this draft. But I do expect him to draft at least one. It probably won't be Mixon, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

It's not a misconception.  Here in KC, with Peters, they talked quite a bit about Ballard being the main guy to vet playesr and decide if the the off field issues they had were going to be likely in the NFL or if they had learned from their mistakes.

So basically it was Ballard that decided if those guys stayed on the draft board or not.

37 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

He definitely had a hand in drafting Peters. During the pre-draft process, Ballard flew out to Oakland and visited Peters and his parents for a day. I doubt Dorsey sends him out there if Ballard's input isn't valued. He obviously didn't make the final call, but he signed off on it (according to his quotes)...which would somewhat indicate he is willing to take a chance on players with character concerns.

Not sure about Hill though.

Edit: I think I misread your comment. Just ignore it.

Someone in the end puts a grade on every player. Wasn`t that Ballards job?

Irsay will likely vetoe the pick. He's a PR nightmare especially in a league that has taken a hard stance against domestic violence and violence against women.

Ballard wasn't the GM in KC so it's likely it wasn't his decision to draft Peters and Hill. Although since they worked out he'll probably take some undue credit for it.

CB came out and said that you have to evaluate individuals differently but has more recently said he wants to build the team with "players that deserve to be here". 

Not going to happen.

How many young men have gone to prison because they lost their temper just like Mixon and in the heat of the moment, stabbed or shot someone and that victim died?  Mixon did the same thing, only he used his fist as a weapon.  He's really fortunate that his weapon wasn't a knife or gun or he would be in prison too.    

5 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

How many young men have gone to prison because they lost their temper just like Mixon and in the heat of the moment, stabbed or shot someone and that victim died?  Mixon did the same thing, only he used his fist as a weapon.  He's really fortunate that his weapon wasn't a knife or gun or he would be in prison too.    

That's the most asinine reasoning I've ever heard.... You're attempting to liken what Mixon did with shooting or stabbing someone, which is a completely different thing altogether. I know you despise Mixon, but don't come on here with that kind of nonsense....

You don't know what the leadership on the team, like Gore, might think about domestic violence or men hitting women in general.  mixon may be ostracized.  

From what ive read cb wants guys that fit in the locker room.  I hope that type of behavior doesn't fit.  Hard to explain that video away

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

It's not a misconception.  Here in KC, with Peters, they talked quite a bit about Ballard being the main guy to vet playesr and decide if the the off field issues they had were going to be likely in the NFL or if they had learned from their mistakes.

So basically it was Ballard that decided if those guys stayed on the draft board or not.

You are a great poster,  I don't want to seem like I don't believe you,  But do you have a link to that?

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I was just thinking - what if both Mixon and McCaffrey were available with our 2nd.  It's almost like choosing good versus evil.  Heck, one guy's name is Christian!

(I'm not saying Mixon is evil, although I know he's perceived that way by some.)

I would roll with McCaffrey if I had my choice in Round 2. We would have the Stanford connection. He killed it in the combine and was a great player at Stanford. Never been in trouble either.

21 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would roll with McCaffrey if I had my choice in Round 2. We would have the Stanford connection. He killed it in the combine and was a great player at Stanford. Never been in trouble either.

If you get over the publicity issue, and that's the only reason Mixon would be there, I'd take Mixon in a heartbeat.   He's got it all, inside, outside, receiver, and as a blocker.  

McCaffrey seems a little too fragile for me.  But I'd certainly take either in the 2nd.  

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

If you get over the publicity issue, and that's the only reason Mixon would be there, I'd take Mixon in a heartbeat.   He's got it all, inside, outside, receiver, and as a blocker.  

McCaffrey seems a little too fragile for me.  But I'd certainly take either in the 2nd.  

It's just tough to get over. Ok I could be completely wrong and Mixon may never get in trouble again but it's tough to predict that. McCaffrey is not only a safe pick but he is also potentially a Great player. He does need to get a tad stronger but his speed and ability to run and catch is among the best coming out of college.

38 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You are a great poster,  I don't want to seem like I don't believe you,  But do you have a link to that?

Nope sorry.  I live in KC and listen to the local talk radio.

And I don't mind you asking for verification, I just wish I could provide it.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's just tough to get over. Ok I could be completely wrong and Mixon may never get in trouble again but it's tough to predict that. McCaffrey is not only a safe pick but he is also potentially a Great player. He does need to get a tad stronger but his speed and ability to run and catch is among the best coming out of college.

Theyre both great backs.  I think Mixon is NFL ready now.  I'm not sure how long CM lasts.  He reminds me of Donald Brown in a way.  

But youre right, it's hard to get over the Mixon drama.  I think it's moot, we won't get either.  

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Theyre both great backs.  I think Mixon is NFL ready now.  I'm not sure how long CM lasts.  He reminds me of Donald Brown in a way.  

But youre right, it's hard to get over the Mixon drama.  I think it's moot, we won't get either.  

Yeah probably not but we will see. I do like Hunt as well.

5 hours ago, SanDiegoColt8 said:

It wont happen, i wish it would though. Im sure Indy will draft some scrub in the 5th round and he wont amount to anything. Why have an elite running game when Andrew can throw 50 times a game.

Having a great running game will only make Luck better. At the very least, Indy needs to come out of this draft with a talented RB for the future in round 4 or earlier. Potential guys include Kareem Hunt and Jeremy McNichols.

10 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Besides Banning him from football, should we incarcerate him?

Like you said, what if he had a weapon? What if he gets a weapon in the future?

At the very least, he needs to report his movements such as residency, place of employment, where he shops etc... That way women can take precautions from this MONSTER!!!

hahahaha

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Besides Banning him from football, should we incarcerate him?

Like you said, what if he had a weapon? What if he gets a weapon in the future?

At the very least, he needs to report his movements such as residency, place of employment, where he shops etc... That way women can take precautions from this MONSTER!!!

hahahaha

I spent time looking over the  local articles when this happened and easily the majority of men felt the same way I do.  Of course women do.  That leaves a small minority of the community where it happened who were more concerned about his NFL career. All of the men repeated the same thing...a  man doesn't hit a woman unless she is threatening his life with a weapon.  If a man is threatened by a woman w/o a weapon so that he needs to hit her, he isn't much of a man.  There are women on this board and it's downright embarrassing that they have to read drivel like yours that you dont think this is all that bad.  

14 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I get that but scouts found them he talked to them, but ultimately his head was not on the block for the pick.  He did not actually draft them.  So comparing that situation to the Colts is obsolete.