Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rueben Foster off the draft board of team with top 15 pick

4 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Let's not forget that Reddick is arguably the better LB anyways. So no worries about Foster. One will be there at 15. 

I really like Reddick and would not be upset at all if he was the Colts pick at 15. I'd prefer a trade down, and Ballard may end up doing that since he recognizes Indy has a lot of needs.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I am leaning toward Reddick as well as my favorite choice at 15. I notice a lot of people in here really like him too. I keep hearing McCaffrey will probably go mid to late Round 1 but oh well.

I think there is a better chance McCaffrey goes before Cook imo. That seems to be the way things are trending....that said we all know it just takes one team to fall in love....but at this point I see them crossing paths now. I thought Cook was a 10-15 guy and McCaffery like a 25-35 guy...and now I think either could go around 20. Like Foster...Cook has some questionable character issues that I think along with a mediocre combine are causing him to fall.

37 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I really like Reddick and would not be upset at all if he was the Colts pick at 15. I'd prefer a trade down, and Ballard may end up doing that since he recognizes Indy has a lot of needs.

I feel that way too. If the right trade scenario played out and we had a few guys there that we liked that would still fall to us. I have a crush on Reddick since watching him play Notre Dame back in 15. He just gets after it all over the field. I feel like he is just one of those hungry players that since he was converted over from safety just could line up anywhere athletically and will fight like a bulldog to get to the ball. I really like his versatility....that he wasn't bad in coverage, obviously he got after the qb, and the way he attacked the ball carrier. I really like Foster too but he has some red flags. The shoulder thing bothers me and then the fact he has been rumored to be a bit immature and the recent outburst I feel more at ease with Hassan at this point. I will be excited no matter what we do...there should be a quality starter there for us in the draft.....watching tape if I had my choice I'd go with Barnett or Reddick at 15 if they are there....and trade down a little if not (if possible).

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

You are not telling me anything I don't already know.

You said for some teams the risk management is removing a player from their board. IMO that is what I would do. I have no clue if it would be the right move just as no one in this forum would know before hand.

We are talking about a player who some thinks he should be the 15th pick. I just don't happen to be one of them.

I am not a GM and I don't have a staff to fill me in of the risk of any players taken.

A lot of forum members see tapes of the players highlights but don't have excess to the player as a whole. If you take 10 plays out of 200 plays and only see those ten plays an educated guess is all it is.

I don't claim to know every player in every draft but todays GMs do have all the information just as you say.

We as fans are far less informed of any negative or positive issues these players have.

I was not arguing against any of your feelings on Foster, I was only commenting on the statement that knowing the risk makes it more of a risk.

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I dont think we can go wrong with either.

I know its a highlight video but yeah hard to go wrong. Hassan looks good in pursuit, in space on passes, and getting after the qb. His versatility amazes me.

Obviously Foster was elite too....of course he had a nice defense all around him to allow him to just make plays....but make plays he did.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

To me Jarrad has that Dog in him. Patrick Willis/Navarro Bowman type personality. 

I don't disagree I read somewhere his size and injury history pushed him down. I didn't see anything about his size I've been lazy haven't compared numbers or RAS any of that stuff. The eye ball test says he can play.  

I'd have no problem going Davis. We can't start Morrison. I really like Awuzie in the 2nd I think Joe Mathis and Rudy Ford are really being overlooked. This could be a good year to have 3 fourth rounders Ford ran a 4.3 40 plays S and the slot and takes care of PR KR duty. 

13 hours ago, krunk said:

Yeah right.   That same no risk player can turn around and screw up when he gets on the team.   You can't always take that position.  Especially on this type of caliber player.    What risk is there other than he had an argument?  You speak like he cocked back and punched the guy and kicked him in the gonads.   I respect your right to your view, but I don't see this as a huge risk.  Especially when there's plenty evidence saying this is an anomaly overall.  I don't think you ignore it, but certainly you perform more due dillegence and you proceed if you're comfortable. 

I bet he would have told us we need no risk players like Parry. lol
 We need players with this guys ability that is for ___ sure!

32 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I know its a highlight video but yeah hard to go wrong. Hassan looks good in pursuit, in space on passes, and getting after the qb. His versatility amazes me.

Obviously Foster was elite too....of course he had a nice defense all around him to allow him to just make plays....but make plays he did.

Man, after the combine I really started watching Reddick, and in my opinion he is the BEST most COMPLETE dwfensive player in the draft period..If we are lucky enough to get him at 15 we stole him!

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Now lets talk about my #1 draft crush in Lattimore at CB....lol  (#15 pick please) 

Yes, let's. Can I see some evidence that he can tackle, at all? I don't like his lack of physicality, it's a big turn off for me. He's great when the ball is in the air.

I like Conley almost as much as Lattimore. He's much more physical, just not as good when the ball is in the air.

Just now, Superman said:

Yes, let's. Can I see some evidence that he can tackle, at all? I don't like his lack of physicality, it's a big turn off for me. He's great when the ball is in the air.

I like Conley almost as much as Lattimore. He's much more physical, just not as good when the ball is in the air.

Having the instincts for finding the ball in the air I find to be more important as once he hits camp tackling will be something they focus on.  Coaching on that is easier IMO then teaching the great skills and instincts he already has.  I like Conley as well but Lattimore to me will become a solid CB right away.

17 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Man, after the combine I really started watching Reddick, and in my opinion he is the BEST most COMPLETE dwfensive player in the draft period..If we are lucky enough to get him at 15 we stole him!

I'm torn. I have two issues with Reddick.

1) Lack of big time competition. Admittedly, he did well in 2015 and 2016 against Penn State, but that's kind of it. Playing in the American conference is a lot different from any Power 5, especially compared to Foster's SEC schedule and big bowl games. 

2) Position switch to ILB. The geometry is different, the assignments are different... that's going to be a challenge, and it's one more variable to be concerned with.

Both of those issues are addressed by his Senior Bowl performance, but I think it's one thing to do well for a weekend against collegiate competition, and another to adjust to the NFL. 

I definitely like him. I just don't know where to put him. I had him as a second round guy (almost mocked him to us at #46), then he blew up at the Combine and everyone is putting him in the top 20, or higher. It would be hard to complain about him at #15, but I feel like he'd be overdrafted on the basis of a great Combine. I'm not sure his small school tape and collegiate career indicate a top 15 standing.

6 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Having the instincts for finding the ball in the air I find to be more important as once he hits camp tackling will be something they focus on.  Coaching on that is easier IMO then teaching the great skills and instincts he already has.  I like Conley as well but Lattimore to me will become a solid CB right away.

I think Conley's work with ball skills is more easily coached than Lattimore's tackling/physicality. I don't think Lattimore will ever be a good tackler. 

I do agree that Lattimore's ball skills are more valuable, which is why I still have him above Conley, as they are now.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think Conley's work with ball skills is more easily coached than Lattimore's tackling/physicality. I don't think Lattimore will ever be a good tackler. 

I do agree that Lattimore's ball skills are more valuable, which is why I still have him above Conley, as they are now.

I see Conley being available for us at 15th and Lattimore being gone but I would wait for the 2nd round and see who all is there.  If Conley is then perfect player for that spot or another guy I am liking is Moreau from UCLA.  I would not take either Conley or Moreau at 15th overall though.

Just now, DaColts85 said:

I see Conley being available for us at 15th and Lattimore being gone but I would wait for the 2nd round and see who all is there.  If Conley is then perfect player for that spot or another guy I am liking is Moreau from UCLA.

I don't think I'd take Conley at #15. Depends on the board, but I don't see him being one of my top five when we're on the clock.

I'm still trying to talk myself into Taco Charlton at #15, assuming Barnett is gone.

And I'm hoping Solomon Thomas tells everyone ahead of us that he'll sit out the season and re-enter the draft because he only wants to play for the Colts... but I dream.

I'm also preparing for Ballard to break my heart and draft Dalvin Cook.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think I'd take Conley at #15. Depends on the board, but I don't see him being one of my top five when we're on the clock.

I'm still trying to talk myself into Taco Charlton at #15, assuming Barnett is gone.

And I'm hoping Solomon Thomas tells everyone ahead of us that he'll sit out the season and re-enter the draft because he only wants to play for the Colts... but I dream.

Why wouldn't you take the Con man at 15? I don't like Taco at 15, would prefer Charles Harris if we have to take a ER. 

Just now, Superman said:

Taco I see potential but I agree 15 is pretty high for a 50/50 player.  I like Barnett but I just do not see him fitting our 3-4 scheme.

Thomas would be a stud and each day closer to the draft I am liking him more and more.  A month ago I did not see him as a great fit but now I do.  I think he is #2 off the board.

After the combine I think the Dalvin Cook talk for us has falling off IMO.  I still think he would be great for us but I would rather take a number of backs in later rounds now.  I hope Ballard looks to the trenches if all players available at 15 are similar as he said.  

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

1) Lack of big time competition. Admittedly, he did well in 2015 and 2016 against Penn State, but that's kind of it. Playing in the American conference is a lot different from any Power 5, especially compared to Foster's SEC schedule and big bowl games. 

2) Position switch to ILB. The geometry is different, the assignments are different... that's going to be a challenge, and it's one more variable to be concerned with.

Both of those issues are addressed by his Senior Bowl performance, but I think it's one thing to do well for a weekend against collegiate competition, and another to adjust to the NFL. 

I definitely like him. I just don't know where to put him. I had him as a second round guy (almost mocked him to us at #46), then he blew up at the Combine and everyone is putting him in the top 20, or higher. It would be hard to complain about him at #15, but I feel like he'd be overdrafted on the basis of a great Combine. I'm not sure his small school tape and collegiate career indicate a top 15 standing.

The speed and violence he plays with is unlike any player I've looked at this year and Ive seen them all....He explodes into guys when he tackles...Talk about a bulldog mentality with doberman speed, and tenacity...He can succeed at ILB, OLB, or even sometimes at Safety...Love his versatility especially in coverage as well....I would even trade up ro get him if necessary , I see a superstar player in the making...

Just now, jshipp23 said:

The speed and violence he plaus with is unlike any player I've looked at this year and Ive seen them all....He explodes into guys when he tackles...Talk about a bulldog mentality with doberman speed, and tenacity...He can succeed at ILB, OLB, or even sometimes at Safety...Love his versatility especially in coverage as well....I would even trade up to het him in necessary I see a superstar player in the making...

I'm not mad at you. Trust your eyes.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think your heart might be broken but it just might be McCaffrey instead of Cook. 

2 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

You're one of the very few fam. 

My problem is everyone had him in the second round until he blew up at the Combine. I'm trying to avoid falling in love with players on the basis of a great Combine. I have trouble moving him up a full round.

JMO

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Have you seen his reps at ILB? He had about 10-15 snaps at ILB in the USF game:

Not much you can glean from it but oh well... at least it's something of him playing the position we would be spending mid-first round pick on.

Just now, stitches said:

Have you seen his reps at ILB? He had about 10-15 snaps at ILB in the USF game:

Not much you can glean from it but oh well... at least it's something of him playing the position we would be spending mid-first round pick on.

I have, it's still a position change though. I don't doubt he has the tools and ability to make the change, but it gives me pause.

My problem is everyone had him in the second round until he blew up at the Combine. I'm trying to avoid falling in love with players on the basis of a great Combine. I have trouble moving him up a full round.

JMO

That's fair. But I think scouts knew about him before we did, and before the combine. He looks just as fast on tape imo.  The same way that Fabian is rated so high now out of nowhere, but Mayock said he was a 2nd rounder before the combine even happened. Atleast that's how I think about it, could be completely wrong lol. 

I have, it's still a position change though. I don't doubt he has the tools and ability to make the change, but it gives me pause.

1 minute ago, Majin Vegeta said:

That's fair. But I think scouts knew about him before we did, and before the combine. He looks just as fast on tape imo.  The same way that Fabian is rated so high now out of nowhere, but Mayock said he was a 2nd rounder before the combine even happened. Atleast that's how I think about it, could be completely wrong lol. 

Every year you have the combine warriors who do amazing and get over drafted.  Not saying that Reddick is going to be that guy but Grigson showed me that looking at the combine numbers as a key focus is a wrong approach.  Also, as Superman stated and I mentioned earlier switching from OLB to ILB in a 3-4 scheme and in the NFL is no easy task.  

14 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Why wouldn't you take the Con man at 15? I don't like Taco at 15, would prefer Charles Harris if we have to take a ER. 

I have Reddick ahead of Conley, along with Taco, Harris, Barnett, McDowell, etc., and I see a good chance that many of them are on the board at #15. 

I think Conley is a little stiff and needs refinement once the ball is in the air -- not just playing the ball, but playing his man without panicking. I do think he can be good, but he has to respond to some coaching.

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

If Colts had #1 pick in the draft I think I would take Reddick over Garrett to be honest...If Reddick is gone I hope we get Hooker or Barnett..Barnett reminds me of Julius Peppers...

I would take a lot of players over Garrett.  If Hooker was there then I would like to have a ball hawking safety for sure.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

The thing I love about him is that he has no stop motor. He doesn't stop pursuing. His speed side to side is amazing. I can't believe some of the plays he gets to make simply by deciding to go after plays that at first sight look out of reach. He also seems to have good feel for coverage even though he's not done it much. In the few instances he's done it, he has several batted passes and an interception or two. With that said, he's not a perfect prospect. I too have some trepidation about his switch to ILB, from what I've seen he whiffs on some tackles when the runner is coming straight at him and makes a cut and he sometimes over-pursues which again - leads to missed tackles. I don't think I'd be mad with him at 15 and I think he has all the tools to be a great player, I just am not sure I trust our coaching staff to get him there.

2 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Every year you have the combine warriors who do amazing and get over drafted.  Not saying that Reddick is going to be that guy but Grigson showed me that looking at the combine numbers as a key focus is a wrong approach.  Also, as Superman stated and I mentioned earlier switching from OLB to ILB in a 3-4 scheme and in the NFL is no easy task.  

But he has tape to back it up. TJ green was a combine warrior. 

2 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

But he has tape to back it up. TJ green was a combine warrior. 

TJ was definitely that.  Reddick has tape as an OLB versus some lesser competition.  So he has not shown that he will be a solid ILB for the pros.  He has potential though.

12 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Nothing is real until the draft happens.

But prior to the Senior Bowl, Reddick was widely considered a mid round prospect. Mike Mayock was already a fan of his, and considered him a second rounder who would switch to ILB. Mayock was impressed with him at the Senior Bowl, said he made the most money, and considered him his #2 ILB, behind Foster, probably a late first, early second round guy.

Bucky Brooks and Daniel Jeremiah were both impressed with Reddick, and both considered him to be a late first rounder. 

(I don't take any of these guys as gospel, but Mayock stays away from the hype and sensationalism that is common to draft season. Brooks and Jeremiah are former scouts for NFL teams, so I respect their opinions, even though I sometimes disagree with them.)

Then, the Combine happens. Everyone shoots Reddick up the board (and Barnett, to a lesser degree, while Taco dropped). I think there's a lot of Combine hype surrounding his jump. He showed off at the Combine, and there's no doubt that proof of his athleticism should influence one's draft board. I just don't know about him going from a top 40 prospect to a top 15 prospect because he runs well in shorts. 

I like him. If we draft him at #15, I'm okay. I'll give our scouting the benefit of the doubts and assume they were impressed by him before the Combine, and had their opinions reinforced by his workouts.