Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rueben Foster off the draft board of team with top 15 pick

I would much rather have Haasan Riddick as option #1, Derek Barnett at option #3 or T.J Hooker...Round 2 grab McCaffery , Mixon, or Forman..If we go D in 2nd option #1 is T.J. Watt, Option #2 is Desmond King, option #3 is Cunningham,  and ootion #4 is McMillan....Round 3- Option 1 is Mixon, option #2 is Kamara or Hunt...Option 3 is Curtis Samuel..Round 4- Option #1 is Kevin King, #2 is Tonah Kpassignon, #3 is Sidney Jones, option 4 is Conley...Round 5 option #1Akhello Witherspoon, #2 Howard Wilson#3 Budda Baker# 4 George Kittle TE....Still hoping we sign Zach Brown and another free agent CB or 2..

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maturity is a big thing at ILB. Need to be the leader and the centre of the defense.

I wouldn't say he's off my board at all, but his stock took a little bit of a hit in my eyes.

For teams that already have an immaturity and a culture issue, I don't necessarily blame them for not wanting to potentially add to the problem.

3 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I would much rather have Haasan Riddick as option #1, Derek Barnett at option #3 or T.J Hooker...Round 2 grab McCaffery , Mixon, or Forman..If we go D in 2nd option #1 is T.J. Watt, Option #2 is Desmond King, option #3 is Cunningham,  and ootion #4 is McMillan....Round 3- Option 1 is Mixon, option #2 is Kamara or Hunt...Option 3 is Curtis Samuel..Round 4- Option #1 is Kevin King, #2 is Tonah Kpassignon, #3 is Sidney Jones, option 4 is Conley...Round 5 option #1Akhello Witherspoon, #2 Howard Wilson#3 Budda Baker# 4 George Kittle TE....Still hoping we sign Zach Brown and another free agent CB or 2..

McCaffrey looked awesome at the combine and was a Great player at Stanford. If he is there in Round 2, man that would tempting! I do like Reddick at 15 a lot.

3 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Listening to Ballard, I'm guessing Mixon is off our board.  Maybe Foster too, although I hope not for either of them.

I really like Witherspoon, but I don't know if he'll last that long. 

Just read an article from Bleacher Report predicting what round some of the top prospects might be drafted in due to injury concerns or personal issues.  No mention of Foster but interesting enough predicted J. Allen at 12-20, Mixon top 50 pick.  Also Cook and Williams 2nd. rd. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

McCaffrey looked awesome at the combine and was a Great player at Stanford. If he is there in Round 2, man that would tempting! I do like Reddick at 15 a lot.

If McCaffrey is there in the 2nd, you take him IMO (in 98% of scenarios). There aren't many players out there with his versatility and skill set.

I want Reddick badly.

1 minute ago, UKColt13 said:

If McCaffrey is there in the 2nd, you take him IMO (in 98% of scenarios). There aren't many players out there with his versatility and skill set.

I want Reddick badly.

Yeah I am leaning toward Reddick as well as my favorite choice at 15. I notice a lot of people in here really like him too. I keep hearing McCaffrey will probably go mid to late Round 1 but oh well.

7 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

One of the best players in the entire class. I hope that the incident at the combine makes him fall into Indy's lap. It is really hard for me to imagine a scenario in which he is available at #15 and isn't the BPA, to say nothing of the need that the team has at ILB. 

Saban seems to think he's coachable. I know how little that means, but the tape shows a smart player. There aren't 10 players in the draft class that I'd rather see in a Colts uniform than Foster, but maybe it's just me. 

The report indicated there was a string of lesser known incidents while at Bama, not just this one at the combine we all know about.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Who would you rather have Reddick or Foster? Both have great potential.

From a talent standpoint, it's foster no question, but his struggles understanding a playbook will hinder him

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The report indicated there was a string of lesser known incidents while at Bama, not just this one at the combine we all know about.

One anonymous source claimed he has maturity/life skill issues....which were refuted by Foster's college coach.

27 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

What Reuben Foster did basically put Haason Reddick as more favorable for a lot of teams picking before us. I would love it if Reddick is there but I somehow doubt it.

I do have a feeling Foster will be there at our pick and I really hope the Colts do their due diligence like Ballard did with Marcus Peters, and take the chance. I would have no qualms if they do that given Ballard's history of lining all ducks in a row in the case of vetting out any athletes with alleged off field issues.

8 minutes ago, BOTT said:

One anonymous source claimed he has maturity/life skill issues....which were refuted by Foster's college coach.

Coaches usually sell their players to the media.  If they get drafted high, its a nice recruiting tool.  Lesser known players they may be more honest about but the higher profile players get more favorable treatment, IMO.  I'm sure NFL GMs have more to go on than the internet news reports so I trust they know who's opinion to value and who's not to.

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

A no risk player.

So what if we had JJ Watt and he made a stupid mistake one night and got in a fight with another dude, would say release JJ Watt then becusue he's a risk player now that's he's made a mistake because ya know... he's only human? 

41 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

What does Foster do better besides big hits? Just curious. 

Are you serious?  He has great instincts and is extremely athletic so he will be able to cover as well as provide those "big hits".  He is the clear cut top ILB and would be an immediate impact with the 15th pick.  I am not sure what little things happened at Bama and I could care less what Saban says.  I see CB looking at everything and making sure he is someone who can translate well to the NFL and not let the money and fame become a bigger issue.  Watching tape if you only see the hits then that is on you.

28 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

So what if we had JJ Watt and he made a stupid mistake one night and got in a fight with another dude, would say release JJ Watt then becusue he's a risk player now that's he's made a mistake because ya know... he's only human? 

Well for one thing we don't have JJ Watt so using hypotheticals with him has no effect on us.

I just stated my opinion and point of view. no more. no less.

If you have a different opinion I have no problem with that. If everyone had the same opinions and thought the same way it would be pretty boring in this forum.

I understand being young and a little immature but these players had been trained by agents as to what to expect and how to act at the combine. His incident becomes more of a red flag taking that into account. Other red flags are his admitted trouble learning X's and O's which everyone one this board criticized Tim Williams for. His shoulder injury and this being a mandatory physical exam only raises more concerns. His game films show hesitation on reaction times, however playing behind a dominate college D line it did not affect his stats.

I like the kid but would look for another day one D starter.

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

There is a higher risk when you already know there is a risk.

CrazyColt I like you as a poster but this statement is so far accurate.

Many companies pay people boatloads of money to figure out and know the risks so they can determine a game plan for the risks before they happen and an NFL team is no different.

For some teams the risk management is removing the player from their draft board, for other teams the risk management is handled with contract language, etc.

The risk of a move biting you in the back side is a lot less if you know the risk upfront.

If I ran an NFL team, I would not let this one incident change my draft board at all.

4 hours ago, akcolt said:

I think Foster and Reddick go in the first McMillan and Davis in the 2nd with Cunningham somewhere in between

If we don't get one of those guys then I am looking for Riley early day 3. He may go in the 3rd. That's about it at ILB. We need to get one of the 5.

Beckwith and Walker would be better than nothing. Munson is a sleeper I think could surprise. There is an obvious gap in talent after Riley. 

AK I've still been wondering in my mind what about Foster and Reddick makes them a high first rounder over Jarrad Davis.   Davis can do it all.   He's a thumper, he can cover, great leadership skills, great athlete, he's smart.   I don't really see anything those guys do that's any different than Jarrad Davis.   I'd have no problem with taking Davis in the first round if they went that route.   It's the same issue I had last year when people were talking about Andrew Billings in the first round, but they kept placing Austin Johnson in the second round.  As I studied the two of them I felt Austin Johnson was a better player or at least on equal footing.  Austin ended up being drafted much higher than Billings when the draft happened.    Don't think the same outcome will happen this time, but I've still been asking myself what makes Jarrad Davis a lower draft pick than Foster and Reddick.  To me Davis can ball.

19 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Many companies pay people boatloads of money to figure out and know the risks so they can determine a game plan for the risks before they happen and an NFL team is no different.

For some teams the risk management is removing the player from their draft board, for other teams the risk management is handled with contract language, etc.

The risk of a move biting you in the back side is a lot less if you know the risk upfront.

If I ran an NFL team, I would not let this one incident change my draft board at all.

He called the plays for the Bama defense the last two years.  He graduated (no Bama jokes necessary)   They say that he's aces in the film room, and the other players love him. 

If people knew his family history, they'd be surprised he turned out so well.  Take a moment and read about what he went through with his father.  We'd be lucky to get him.

All that being said, I'm not sure if he's a 'Ballard guy'.  I guess we really won't know what that means until after the draft, Free Agency, and the roster is set.

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

He called the plays for the Bama defense the last two years.  He graduated (no Bama jokes necessary)   They say that he's aces in the film room, and the other players love him. 

If people knew his family history, they'd be surprised he turned out so well.  Take a moment and read about what he went through with his father.  We'd be lucky to get him.

All that being said, I'm not sure if he's a 'Ballard guy'.  I guess we really won't know what that means until after the draft, Free Agency, and the roster is set.

I'm not sure if he's a "Ballard guy" or not, that will take a couple of years to get a feel for that.  I do know he was a big part of drafting Peterson and Hill in KC.  His due diligence in those situations is a big reason why the Chiefs were willing to take a chance on those guys and why it has worked out for them.

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

Are you serious?  He has great instincts and is extremely athletic so he will be able to cover as well as provide those "big hits".  He is the clear cut top ILB and would be an immediate impact with the 15th pick.  I am not sure what little things happened at Bama and I could care less what Saban says.  I see CB looking at everything and making sure he is someone who can translate well to the NFL and not let the money and fame become a bigger issue.  Watching tape if you only see the hits then that is on you.

Obviously I'm serious. So just because he's "extremely athletic" he will be able to cover? Have any tape of that? And he isn't even more athletic than Hassan. So you're wrong there.  Because Reddick actually can cover, if you want something easy to watch go watch the senior bowl. And his instincts? Have you even studied Foster? Because his instincts aren't any better than Reddick. 

So bascially all you just said is big hits. lmao 

Try again 

1 minute ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Obviously I'm serious. So just because he's "extremely athletic" he will be able to cover? Have any tape of that? Because Reddick actually can cover, if you want something easy to watch go watch the senior bowl. And his instincts? Have you even studied Foster? Because his instincts aren't any better than Reddick. 

So bascially all you just said is big hits. lmao 

Try again. 

At no point were we comparing him to Reddick so if you want to change your argument feel free i guess.  Back to original topic though, if you cannot see that he has some instincts and can coverage (watch tape) that is on you.  I cannot be your eyes.

Now as for Reddick I will not say that he is anything less.  To me, in my opinion, Foster is the #1 ILB.  Reddick is right there but he also has little tape at ILB in a 3-4 so he would become a transition player so your comparison is not great by any means.  :lol:  

4 hours ago, akcolt said:

I think Foster and Reddick go in the first McMillan and Davis in the 2nd with Cunningham somewhere in between

If we don't get one of those guys then I am looking for Riley early day 3. He may go in the 3rd. That's about it at ILB. We need to get one of the 5.

Beckwith and Walker would be better than nothing. Munson is a sleeper I think could surprise. There is an obvious gap in talent after Riley. 

To me Jarrad has that Dog in him. Patrick Willis/Navarro Bowman type personality. 

4 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

At no point were we comparing him to Reddick so if you want to change your argument feel free i guess.  Back to original topic though, if you cannot see that he has some instincts and can coverage (watch tape) that is on you.  I cannot be your eyes.

Now as for Reddick I will not say that he is anything less.  To me, in my opinion, Foster is the #1 ILB.  Reddick is right there but he also has little tape at ILB in a 3-4 so he would become a transition player so your comparison is not great by any means.  :lol:  

Lolololol no need to change the argument because they go hand in hand kid. I did watch tape, but again, please tell me what tape to watch to see his amazing coverage and instincts.( him running to the rb as soon as the ball is hiked doesn't count btw)

You draft off of skill set and potential, so yeah it's a fine example. 

Just now, Majin Vegeta said:

Lolololol no need to change the argument because they go hand in hand kid. I did watch tape, but again, please tell me what tape to watch to see his amazing coverage and instincts.( him running to the rb as soon as the ball is hiked doesn't count btw)

You draft off of skill set and potential, so yeah it's a fine example. 

No one said amazing but he will be solid IMO.  That last line helps my point just fine.  Both have the potential to be great and again I am not going against that, not sure why your trying to say that.  Your thoughts are your thoughts and I am not here to change that kid.  But I will go off of what I see and what scouts say and be alright...  Here take a look of what a scout says, 

"He's not a MIKE linebacker. I think he's a pure run-and-hit WILL linebacker with good cover talent. I'm worried about what his medicals will show because he's had some issues with stingers during his career. I have a higher grade on him than I had on Reggie Ragland. Better pro potential to me." -- NFC director of scouting

2 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

No one said amazing but he will be solid IMO.  That last line helps my point just fine.  Both have the potential to be great and again I am not going against that, not sure why your trying to say that.  Your thoughts are your thoughts and I am not here to change that kid.  But I will go off of what I see and what scouts say and be alright...  Here take a look of what a scout says, 

"He's not a MIKE linebacker. I think he's a pure run-and-hit WILL linebacker with good cover talent. I'm worried about what his medicals will show because he's had some issues with stingers during his career. I have a higher grade on him than I had on Reggie Ragland. Better pro potential to me." -- NFC director of scouting

He isn't the "clear cut #1 LB" is what I'm saying. The only thing you can say he's better than Hasson is making big hits. And I'll give him that he played tougher competition too. But besides that, Reddick is better in every category. JMO obviously but I don't think Foster is all he's hyped up to be. Short, injury history, has trouble with playbook, immaturity, not as "twitchy"

2 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

He isn't the "clear cut #1 LB" is what I'm saying. The only thing you can say he's better than Hasson is making big hits. And I'll give him that he played tougher competition too. But besides that, Reddick is better in every category. JMO obviously but I don't think Foster is all he's hyped up to be. Short, injury history, has trouble with playbook, immaturity, not as "twitchy"

To me I think he is but again that is just personal preference.  That being said based on just pure athleticism Reddick is a freak.  I would be perfectly fine with either and depending on the injuries, we will see how he falls.  In the pros he can learn each year and maturity wise we will see on that.  How he does with team meetings I think will tell all.

Now lets talk about my #1 draft crush in Lattimore at CB....lol  (#15 pick please) 

13 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

To me I think he is but again that is just personal preference.  That being said based on just pure athleticism Reddick is a freak.  I would be perfectly fine with either and depending on the injuries, we will see how he falls.  In the pros he can learn each year and maturity wise we will see on that.  How he does with team meetings I think will tell all.

Now lets talk about my #1 draft crush in Lattimore at CB....lol  (#15 pick please) 

I'd be happy with either also. I just don't believe there is a clear cut #1. 

And I like Lattimore, but I'd rather have his teammate Gareon. How do you feel about that lol 

9 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I do find it odd that they mentioned top 15 pick.  If it were a top 10 team then why wouldn't you just say top 10?  So what that tells me is it's a team between 10-15.  And the Colts just happen to be one of those teams.  Hmmmmm.............

That was my thought too.....the only thing is that he may not be a concensus top 10 pick so it might not be a story to say a team in the top 10 wouldn't pick him because there is probably several that don't need a lb anyways....but I agree with how it is worded it appears to be a team 10-15. 

15 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I think what separates Foster from Reddick is that he has played the position his entire career and scouts and guys like us can watch and see how he performed there. There's a lot of projection with Reddick. 

Foster is all over the field at Bama. His range is incredible and he finds his way to the ball carrier nearly every play. Xs and Os might not be his strength but he sure knows the game of football and was the leader of his defense. 

I dont think anyone on here dislikes Reddick. They've just seen how good Foster is against much better competition and like him more. 

Can't go wrong with either one. 

2 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I'd be happy with either also. I just don't believe there is a clear cut #1. 

And I like Lattimore, but I'd rather have his teammate Gareon. How do you feel about that lol 

Typical lol!  You truly like Conley more? 

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

You are not telling me anything I don't already know.

You said for some teams the risk management is removing a player from their board. IMO that is what I would do. I have no clue if it would be the right move just as no one in this forum would know before hand.

We are talking about a player who some thinks he should be the 15th pick. I just don't happen to be one of them.

I am not a GM and I don't have a staff to fill me in of the risk of any players taken.

A lot of forum members see tapes of the players highlights but don't have excess to the player as a whole. If you take 10 plays out of 200 plays and only see those ten plays an educated guess is all it is.

I don't claim to know every player in every draft but todays GMs do have all the information just as you say.

We as fans are far less informed of any negative or positive issues these players have.