Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rueben Foster off the draft board of team with top 15 pick

My apologies if this has already been posted. But I found this on NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000794183/article/report-reuben-foster-off-draft-board-of-team-with-top15-pick

Basically says he's off the board of an anonymous team that had a top 15 pick. Talked about how they believe his combine incident basically is part of a string of things that have him deemed as "immature". 

Obviously no clue what team, but thought it was interesting regardless. If anything (assuming said team isn't the Colts), I guess it gives them a better shot to get him come draft night :scratch:

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

My apologies if this has already been posted. But I found this on NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000794183/article/report-reuben-foster-off-draft-board-of-team-with-top15-pick

Basically says he's off the board of an anonymous team that had a top 15 pick. Talked about how they believe his combine incident basically is part of a string of things that have him deemed as "immature". 

Obviously no clue what team, but thought it was interesting regardless. If anything (assuming said team isn't the Colts), I guess it gives them a better shot to get him come draft night :scratch:

Now why would the Colts want him when no other team ahead of him wants him?

16 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Now why would the Colts want him when no other team ahead of him wants him?

That's not what it says.  It says one team "allegedly" has him off the board.  It doesn't say "no other team".

45 minutes ago, krunk said:

That's not what it says.  It says one team "allegedly" has him off the board.  It doesn't say "no other team".

IMO him not being able to control himself by going off on a medical staff member makes him immature. We have no use for a player who is at any risk at pick #15.

19 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

IMO him not being able to control himself by going off on a medical staff member makes him immature. We have no use for a player who is at any risk at pick #15.

That's certainly your opinion Crazy Colt.  In my opinion I think it rejects the fact that his whole career has been clean,  his coach has backed up the type of character he has on more than one occasion and the guy has held a press conference with the teams and apologized and explained the episode.  What more do you want?  Even his team mates have vouged for the kind of guy he usually is outside of that incident.  Due dilligence is what is needed here.

One of the best players in the entire class. I hope that the incident at the combine makes him fall into Indy's lap. It is really hard for me to imagine a scenario in which he is available at #15 and isn't the BPA, to say nothing of the need that the team has at ILB. 

Saban seems to think he's coachable. I know how little that means, but the tape shows a smart player. There aren't 10 players in the draft class that I'd rather see in a Colts uniform than Foster, but maybe it's just me. 

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

That's certainly your opinion Crazy Colt.  In my opinion I think it rejects the fact that his whole career has been clean,  his coach has backed up the type of character he has on more than one occasion and the guy has held a press conference with the teams and apologized and explained the episode.  What more do you want?

A no risk player.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

A no risk player.

Yeah right.   That same no risk player can turn around and screw up when he gets on the team.   You can't always take that position.  Especially on this type of caliber player.    What risk is there other than he had an argument?  You speak like he cocked back and punched the guy and kicked him in the gonads.   I respect your right to your view, but I don't see this as a huge risk.  Especially when there's plenty evidence saying this is an anomaly overall.  I don't think you ignore it, but certainly you perform more due dillegence and you proceed if you're comfortable. 

11 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

One of the best players in the entire class. I hope that the incident at the combine makes him fall into Indy's lap. It is really hard for me to imagine a scenario in which he is available at #15 and isn't the BPA, to say nothing of the need that the team has at ILB. 

Saban seems to think he's coachable. I know how little that means, but the tape shows a smart player. There aren't 10 players in the draft class that I'd rather see in a Colts uniform than Foster, but maybe it's just me. 

Foster and Jarrad Davis are my favorites.  I really don't see much difference between the two of them in terms of Caliber.   Don't see why Davis isn't being talked about in a higher area of the first round.   Wouldn't mind if we took either one of them at 15 or another part of the first round. 

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Foster and Jarrad Davis are my favorites.  I really don't see much difference between the two of them in terms of Caliber.   Don't see why Davis isn't being talked about in a higher area of the first round.   Wouldn't mind if we took either one of them at 15 or another part of the first round. 

We have a ton of options at 15 that are potentially great + 6 picks in the first 4 Rounds. I like our situation.

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

A no risk player.

There's no such thing as no risk player. Every player has some sort of risk - injury, performance, athletic, mental, character. You don't get riskfree prospects at 15. They have to weigh in those concerns and figure out if they are likely to manifest in some detrimental way in his career with the Colts. To me this thing with the medical worker ranks very very low on the list of things we should worry about. For example, his injury is more worrisome for me(even though still not worthy of scratching him off the board).

I think we also have to remember that these guys are in their early 20s.  They'll make some bonehead decisions from time to time.  Some can be ignored and some have to be addressed immediately. I think you definitely gather more information in the case of Foster.  But overall I deem that situation to be light weight when compared to some of the other stuff we've seen from other guys .

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Watch us take McCaffrey at 15. Man this Site would go nuts :Nuke:

Overall I think Ballard has his mind on Defense from what it seems.   If it's offense I tend to agree with some of the other posters sentiments.  Probably will be an offensive lineman if anything offense.   My gut tells me we have plans to pick up a back in the 4th round.  Perfect area to do it considering all the 4th round picks we have.

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

There's no such thing as no risk player. Every player has some sort of risk - injury, performance, athletic, mental, character. You don't get riskfree prospects at 15. They have to weigh in those concerns and figure out if they are likely to manifest in some detrimental way in his career with the Colts. To me this thing with the medical worker ranks very very low on the list of things we should worry about. For example, his injury is more worrisome for me(even though still not worthy of scratching him off the board).

There is a higher risk when you already know there is a risk.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Overall I think Ballard has his mind on Defense from what it seems.   If it's offense I tend to agree with some of the other posters sentiments.  Probably will be an offensive lineman if anything offense.   My gut tells me we have plans to pick up a back in the 4th round.  Perfect area to do it considering all the 4th round picks we have.

Probably so but you never know. I do like Hunt, he should be there in Round 3.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think we also have to remember that these guys are in their early 20s.  They'll make some bonehead decisions from time to time.  Some can be ignored and some have to be addressed immediately. I think you definitely gather more information in the case of Foster.  But overall I deem that situation to be light weight when compared to some of the other stuff we've seen from other guys .

I came here to say exactly this. One minor incident isn't really worrisome to me. Especially considering how he went out of his way in an attempt to make things right.

Plus, I'd be willing to wager that most of the Alabama players a little cocky/immature. Nick Sabans isn't really what I'd call a "model of discipline."  

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like McCaffrey but most people in here want Defense so it would be interesting to see how people handle it if we take him or Cook.

Yeah if Ballard went in a different direction all of a sudden he would need fired immediately. :sarcasm:

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah the Posts in here sure would be entertaining haha. I hope we go Defense (maybe Reddick/Takk/Barnett/Foster) or take Lamp but I have no idea what Ballard will do?

No matter who they take I would be happy to get a starter who can make a difference.

In any case it will be good to read and discuss something different besides the draft.

I do find it odd that they mentioned top 15 pick.  If it were a top 10 team then why wouldn't you just say top 10?  So what that tells me is it's a team between 10-15.  And the Colts just happen to be one of those teams.  Hmmmmm.............

Theres nothing wrong questioning a top 10-15 pick.  It happens every year and something as strange as the combine incident would get my attention, too.   I certainly don't think it's Mixon bad, but if he is going to be your defensive leader for the next 10 years, you do need to be careful.  I remember Johnny Manzel leaving ( or being kicked out of) the Manning QB camp.  In that case the red flag was legit.   I haven't seen Fosters explanation so I don't know if it's fake sounding or sincere.  

Will Carroll, the Injury Expert, suggested at the combine that many teams will eventually downgrade him or remove him altogether from their board because of what the medicals show on his shoulder.  The incident surely doesn't help either.  

I think any reasonable brain trust of any team would want to ascertain was the incident due to lack of maturity or character flaw. If its immaturity, time will negate the behavior ( I mean who amongst us was not a knuckle head at least once in our early 20's?) .....if its a character flaw, take him off the board. I think we are talking about 2 different things here.

5 hours ago, krunk said:

I think Foster and Reddick go in the first McMillan and Davis in the 2nd with Cunningham somewhere in between

If we don't get one of those guys then I am looking for Riley early day 3. He may go in the 3rd. That's about it at ILB. We need to get one of the 5.

Beckwith and Walker would be better than nothing. Munson is a sleeper I think could surprise. There is an obvious gap in talent after Riley. 

The major concern with Foster for NFL teams, beyond the off-field questions, is his ability to absorb a playbook. Foster has struggled in interviews with teams who ask him to draw concepts with X's and O's. "I've been working to get better," Foster says. "Other people learn different, other people have ADHD, or have a learning disorder. X's and O's on boards is hard to do for me. I second-guess myself."