Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Eli Wins Super Bowl Xlvi, Does His Career Trump Peyton's?

Captain Americolt

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82686dae/article/if-eli-wins-super-bowl-xlvi-does-his-career-trump-peytons

For what it's worth, all these guys say no. Even La Canfora, who never really liked PM or the Colts, says no. It seems they all clearly say no. I'm glad they see how special Peyton is even with only 1 ring to show for it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nfl.com/n...r-trump-peytons

For what it's worth, all these guys say no. Even La Canfora, who never really liked PM or the Colts, says no. It seems they all clearly say no. I'm glad they see how special Peyton is even with only 1 ring to show for it.

I think the real question is;

If Eli wins, Does that make the Giants a better team over the last 5 years?

I'd say....YES

Exactly.

I'm glad these guys don't use championships as a measuring stick for individual greatness. PM is a great example of that.

Yep. People need to stop playing the numbers game. Some of the best players to ever wear an NFL uniform never even won a playoff game.

An ideal situation would be that Peyton will return next season and win the a Super Bowl in the next 2 seasons. Then Super Bowl L (Super Bowl 50) will return to Indy in 2016, the Colts will play in and win that Super Bowl and Peyton will ride off into the sunset.

As a year after year consistent and great QB to rely on? No, Peyton is better and an all time great.

As a big game QB? Yes, Eli is developing right now a bigger legacy in that regard. Not just his team either. Eli stays cool and makes big plays in hostile environments on the road. This was not a Giants powerhouse team from the regular season either. They had injuries everywhere, the last ranked rushing attack and Eli set a 4th quarter TD record.

Eli may not be better than his brother but if he wins that superbowl to me i will put him up there with his brother.

If he wins this SB then he will have two wins over Brady in the postseason in the biggest moments.

However, even if he loses he has still done quite a job on the road in the playoffs.

Its funny, I don't really trust the Giants at home. On the road or in a SB I love them.

Absolutely not.

SBs are nice to have on the resume but you cant ignore the type of consistency and leadership Peyton has shown his entire career.

Its just funny how quickly the media will change their opinion of someone when they have a chance to win more than 1 SB.

I remember when the Colts got to the SB in 2009, even members of the media who dogged Manning for being a choker were already proclaiming him to be the greatest to play the game. Then of course the Colts lost and the choker talk started to come back up again in some circles. Just another example of the living in the moment type mentality the sports world revolves around.

Eli is showing he's a good QB but he hasnt been the most consistent player to this point and he still has a way to go to even sniff Peyton's legacy IMO.

If he wins this SB then he will have two wins over Brady in the postseason in the biggest moments.

However, even if he loses he has still done quite a job on the road in the playoffs.

Its funny, I don't really trust the Giants at home. On the road or in a SB I love them.

I think he's done a great job at progressing and becoming who he is right now... he doesnt seem flustered or anything which is not what i could say for peyton.. i think all the pressure and weight put on peyton was the thing that prevented the colts from getting the rings they clearly could have gotten.

No question Peyton is the better talent but Eli steps his game up when it really counts and Peyton usually takes a step back. That's always been my only complaint about Peyton. More times than not he just doesn't play his best football when it really matters. Even when we won the SB he didn't play particularly well. Eli looks way more poised when he's on the big stage.

No question Peyton is the better talent but Eli steps his game up when it really counts and Peyton usually takes a step back. That's always been my only complaint about Peyton. More times than not he just doesn't play his best football when it really matters. Even when we won the SB he didn't play particularly well. Eli looks way more poised when he's on the big stage.

Yes - well said.

I think he's done a great job at progressing and becoming who he is right now... he doesnt seem flustered or anything which is not what i could say for peyton.. i think all the pressure and weight put on peyton was the thing that prevented the colts from getting the rings they clearly could have gotten.

Yes - true, Peyton has carried a lot more deadweight on his back in his career than Eli did.

Does Timmy Smiths career top Barry Sanders? why is all the credit placed on the QB? Jeff Hostedler & Trent Dilfer won superbowls & Warren Moon & Dan Marino didn't. It polishes a resume for HOF that's it. the same way fantasy stats can't be judged to determine how great someone is. balance out the stats and track record and the teams overall talent level.

No, I don't think so. Eli is a good QB, but Peyton's legacy will overshadow his entire career. The analysts will always say, "Some of you may not know this, but Peyton Manning, who was one of the all time greats, actually had a brother, Eli, who was a successful quarterback for much of his career as well."

Peyton holds tons and tons of records and his name is bigger than Super Bowls. Just check a copy of the Indianapolis Star... :) If it wasn't for Brady/Brees, Manning would still hold the TD record and the completion % record. I just think that his name, records, and being the 'winningest' QB of the 2000's will overshadow Eli simply having another ring.

Not even close. This shouldn't even be a question.

Yet the media can't stop bloviating the proposition. Just like the question about Manning being released, this is just more crap that the media makes up, people hear it and become convinced there must be some substance to it.

It's almost amazing how bad of luck the Colts have had in the playoffs at times under Manning. Like things just do not go our way, the ball does not bounce our way. It's ridiculous. In 2006 it came together but thats one year in how many?

2005 is the one that will always haunt me the most. It was all there. What could go wrong went wrong all in the end.......

The SB vs. the Saints. I mean, if the onside kick was recovered by the Colts (and I still think that was iffy there) who knows, the momentum was on OUR side. After that play it was all Saints I felt. They had the mojo.

Eli as underrated as I think he is seems to have more Manning luck in the playoffs. I mean a Hali Mary TD vs. a 15-1 team. A helmet catch made vs. an 18-0 team.

Peyton is better. But, for some reason more breaks seem to fall Eli's way. Maybe the Giants are just built better for postseason play in general and Eli takes advantage of bigger opportunities and has more trust in those around him. Maybe Eli trusts his team more. There have been postseasons where I have felt Manning was pressing because he felt he had to, he had to do it alone.

In 2006 that was the beauty. All areas of the team showed up to play at once. And in the title game when the offense needed to pick it up they did. Peyton had his half of glory on the biggest stage. But, more times then not the Colts just never "got it" in the playoffs.

It's almost amazing how bad of luck the Colts have had in the playoffs at times under Manning. Like things just do not go our way, the ball does not bounce our way. It's ridiculous. In 2006 it came together but thats one year in how many?

2005 is the one that will always haunt me the most. It was all there. What could go wrong went wrong all in the end.......

The SB vs. the Saints. I mean, if the onside kick was recovered by the Colts (and I still think that was iffy there) who knows, the momentum was on OUR side. After that play it was all Saints I felt. They had the mojo.

Eli as underrated as I think he is seems to have more Manning luck in the playoffs. I mean a Hali Mary TD vs. a 15-1 team. A helmet catch made vs. an 18-0 team.

Peyton is better. But, for some reason more breaks seem to fall Eli's way. Maybe the Giants are just built better for postseason play in general and Eli takes advantage of bigger opportunities and has more trust in those around him. Maybe Eli trusts his team more. There have been postseasons where I have felt Manning was pressing because he felt he had to, he had to do it alone.

In 2006 that was the beauty. All areas of the team showed up to play at once. And in the title game when the offense needed to pick it up they did. Peyton had his half of glory on the biggest stage. But, more times then not the Colts just never "got it" in the playoffs.

The reason for the Giants success over the last 3-4 years is their team-wide balance. Unlike the Colts, they have solid talent spread across all cores, whereas the Colts have great strengths and great weaknesses. i.e. offense & defense

How can anyone say that Eli has had better teams. The Giants were 10-6 and wildcard when they won the SB and this year they were 9-7. Peyton has had many 12+win teams.

True this years Giants had weaknesses and injuries. But, they turned it on and got healthy in time. Again.

Peyton has had many 12+ win teams who often get beaten by more physical/more balanced teams.

Look at this years Packers vs. the Giants. In some ways GB eerily reminded me in the end of the 2005 Colts. And the Giants in the position of the 2005 Steelers.

It sucks. A lot has to come together to win a title or even get to the big one and in many of Peyton's prime years the Pats were more balanced in their prime.

In some ways I am more scratching my head at the Pats fortune. I remember after 2006 some saying the Colts had an "easy" run with the QBs outside of Brady they faced in the playoffs. Sure, but keep in mind this years Pats run was even easier vs. Tebow and Flacco at home. Honestly I was kinda mad this year at times. Of all the years for Peyton to be out come on...The AFC has been wide open. No Manning, no Schaub, a one legged Big Ben in the end and SD blows it. A "normal" Colts team owns the Ravens and can hang 40+ on these Pats.

Like I said. The football Gods hate us. Would Luck bring us "luck."? ;)

We have definitely caught some bad breaks... right before that 2005 game vs the stealers, Nick Harper's girlfriend stabbed him in the leg...and had that not happened, maybe he takes that ball all the way back and isnt caught by Roethlisberger...

Does Jim Plunketts career overshadow Marino?Does Dilfer overshadow Marino?This is crazy talk designed to waste air time.I can't believeanybody actually would think this.There is no comparison when you compare numbers.Football is still a team game and a lot of luck goes into winning the SB.That being said,I don't think the Giant's are going to win anyway.