Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts are signing WR Kamar Aiken

Everyone

51 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

The Colts last year were a good "middle of the field" team, but not especially good in the red zone. Far too often, the Colts had to settle for a field goal. Adding another big bodied receiver, (similar height to Moncrief) adds another red zone weapon. 

I believe in competition. Let the best players earn their playing time. If that's Aiken, great. If that's Doresett, great. Let the best players play and use the best of their abilities -- use them wisely as the situation calls.

I concur

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

The Colts last year were a good "middle of the field" team, but not especially good in the red zone. Far too often, the Colts had to settle for a field goal. Adding another big bodied receiver, (similar height to Moncrief) adds another red zone weapon. 

I believe in competition. Let the best players earn their playing time. If that's Aiken, great. If that's Doresett, great. Let the best players play and use the best of their abilities -- use them wisely as the situation calls.

The Colts offense was actually one of the best redzone units in the league last year, 4th overall, scoring TDs 66% the time. Most of the FGs that they did settle for were outside of the redzone.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

The Colts offense was actually one of the best redzone units in the league last year, 4th overall, scoring TDs 66% the time. Most of the FGs that they did settle for were outside of the redzone.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I stand corrected.

4 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I stand corrected.

There were long stretches, usually in the first half of games, where it felt like they couldn't get the ball pas the 50, so at times it definitely felt like they couldn't even get to the redzone, let alone score.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

This can't be stressed enough.  After two years, everyone has used up their 'where they were drafted' entitlement.  Now, it's what can you do for the team.

IMO, Rogers was more productive than Dorsett in the limited time he was in.  And it could just be the way Dorsett was being used.  But if the QB doesn't have confidence in you, then something is wrong.

I concur

3 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Haha...Ravens fans are dumb.

Man. Not saying he's as good as Boldin, but if you watched him play you'd see the resemblance. Watch that highlight reel I posted. He'd have to put up 6-7 straight 1,000 yard seasons to be in the considered in the same conversation as Boldin as Boldin has produced at a high level for years. Aiken is just kinda similar, but faster and taller. I think Aiken can have some monster years though. But if he's our 3rd WR I'd be happy with ~600-700 yards and 5-6 TD's.

4 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

From our Cap Guru on my website

this does not include Williams and now Aiken

According to over the cap dot com, counting all signings except for Aiken, we have $28,801,909.  This includes the dead money from the players cut and traded to date.  

Spottrac dot com lists the current cap room NOT counting Williams or Aiken as 29,371,319 not counting the draft pool and counting the draft pool at $23,048,901 but they are estimating the 2 of them costing a hit around 7 million combined, leaving us around 16 million.

Also, lets say we do go after a NT, we can easily save 5.5 million more by cutting Art Jones, who I still think is borderline staying/going. and if you do need too, you can push that to a post june 1 cut and make the savings 6.2 million. There's also Akeem Ayers that would save yet another 2.5 mil roughly. 

Also, for thought food, Dorsett has a 2.06 million dollar cap hit this year but a 3.27 million dollar dead cap hit, next year that turns to 1.4 million in cap SAVINGS, so for this year, we'd infact paying more to cut him than to keep him for a year. So I highly doubt he's going anywhere.

I'm sure Superman will chime in with more detailed and accurate information.

1 hour ago, Shive said:

Werner was considered by most draft talking heads as a potential top 10 guy, so I don't think it was necessarily a terrible pick at the time, but Rhodes was my draft crush that year and I was not happy when he was there and we didn't take him. It wasn't because I thought Werner was bad, just wanted Rhodes.

I'm OK with the signing. I liked what I saw from Rogers last season, but having a bigger WR to work into the rotation is not a bad idea at all.

By the time the draft rolled around, he was no longer a top 10 guy.

Mel Kiper, Dan Kadar and Walter Football didn't even have him in the 1st round. McShay had him going near the very end of the 1st round.

All four of those mocks had the same person going to the Colts...take a guess.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

how is aiken the 6th anyway?  he should easily be in front of rodgers and bray.  probably dorsett too, and he could certainly pass moncrief.  in fact aiken has more yardage than any of those guys in his career

NCF makes some bizarre comments

Volume stats as always mean anything without context. Moncrief averages more yards per game and Dorsett who is a "bust" a whopping 1 yard per game less....and Rodger has had one season in the league and you want to point at career yardage totals.

For the record I hope Aiken does well here, as do I hope Moncrief stays injury free and Dorsett maybe gets the ball thrown his way when he's actually open or maybe gets used in a more sensible way. 

i want us to use dorsett the way that the chiefs use Hill. 

I wonder if ballard will be able to influence that at all - i know that is not his job.

Hopefully, like others have said, this signing will wake dorsett up. 

11 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Mel Kiper, Dan Kadar and Walter Football didn't even have him in the 1st round. McShay had him going near the very end of the 1st round.

I went back and looked at McShay and Kipers mocks for 2013.  Two things stood out - neither of those guys had a clue (and still don't) and that was a horrible draft for just about everyone.  Ryan Nassib - top 10 pick?  Really?

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

I went back and looked at McShay and Kipers mocks for 2013.  Two things stood out - neither of those guys had a clue (and still don't) and that was a horrible draft for just about everyone.  Ryan Nassib - top 10 pick?  Really?

Hindsight is my favorite thing in this world. Right next to hangnails. 

I don't think very highly of Dorsett but I don't think he should be traded, nor do I think this signing means that Dorsett is gone.

Dorsett doesn't have much trade value, nor does trading him save a lot of cap space. Might as well keep him and hope he breaks out, though I'm not expecting it. Aiken isn't similar player as Dorsett either. I'd like this signing even if we had 3 good receivers. Injuries happen.

3 minutes ago, Finball said:

I don't think very highly of Dorsett but I don't think he should be traded, nor do I think this signing means that Dorsett is gone.

Dorsett doesn't have much trade value, nor does trading him save a lot of cap space. Might as well keep him and hope he breaks out, though I'm not expecting it. Aiken isn't similar player as Dorsett either. I'd like this signing even if we had 3 good receivers. Injuries happen.

it doesnt save any, it actually costs use 1.4 million to trade or cut him

7 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Man. Not saying he's as good as Boldin, but if you watched him play you'd see the resemblance. Watch that highlight reel I posted. He'd have to put up 6-7 straight 1,000 yard seasons to be in the considered in the same conversation as Boldin as Boldin has produced at a high level for years. Aiken is just kinda similar, but faster and taller. I think Aiken can have some monster years though. But if he's our 3rd WR I'd be happy with ~600-700 yards and 5-6 TD's.

I get what you are saying...it just sounds silly to call Aiken a "faster and taller Boldin."

I hope he produces, but he probably isn't getting those number without an injury or two.

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I've already spoke about Dorsett.....But its not hindsight when we're talking about taking Bjoern Werner over Xavier Rhodes. Its common sense if you know what you're doing, how to spot talent, and have good scouting, and just know football in general. Saying we should have drafted Chris Harris Jr. and Damon Harrison in the 6th or 7th rounds 6-7 years ago is hindsight.

I guess it's already been established that Grigson is gone. It has also been established that every pick Grigson made has not been a bust. Why we are even debating this is beyond me.

Saying Dorsett is a bust is too pre mature because we have yet to see what his talents are. He is still young and has not had the chance as his role has always been a back up. It is not unusual for a WR to take three years to adjust to the NFL.

I understand he was Grigson's pick but there was a reason why he was picked regardless of where he was picked.

I like the signing of Akin, looks like he played well in Baltimore when given a chance and I like his size!! I felt the Colts needed a bigger bodied tough receiver. I like Moncrief but I think he is more tall than tough and if he walks next year you are covered. And now you don't have to draft one. Going to be intresting how the coaches divide up playing time next year between all these guys for sure. I like the signings Ballard has made so far! Not sure any of them will be superstars, but he has done what he said he would do, create competition, I think with a bunch of guys that are VERY HUNGRY to prove them self's, be given a far chance at playing time, and seem to maybe have a little chip on there shoulder!!

8 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

QBs are a different animal when it comes to mock drafts. Unless it's a Luck/Mariota/Winston, it's difficult to know how teams value the QBs in a "weak" QB class.

Still, in the mock I looked at, they both had 90%+ of the guys that went in the 1st round. The order of those players is a different story.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

lots of people were high on wilson

he should have gone sooner, but he happened to be in the best QB class the draft has seen in a long time.  i guess luck and wilson are making it a good class, but at the time RT and RG3 were obvious first rounders

Yep...I know others that liked Cousins in that draft too. It worked out for the best for everyone involved honestly...but I thought Russell was getting a bad rap for his size. What I saw at Wisconsin I was impressed with him....and his earlier tape at NCST as well. Just a clear leader...and didn't seem to get flustered...and had a big arm. 

37 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I remember him falling, but I couldn't remember how far down.

My dad is a die-hard Vikings fan, so at least I was happy for him that they drafted him. Then I wanted Eric Kendricks in the first. Vikings ended up with him too... Both times, I was extremely disappointed.

I'm fine adding a veteran WR (despite the fact that it burns the Colts every year, it seems), and I'm fine with Aiken. But he hasn't done anything special in the league. He did produce in 2015 when Smith was hurt and the Ravens had practically no one else. 

But he got nearly 600 snaps last year, and put up 28 catches. Kyle Juszczyk -- the fullback -- played 463 snaps, and had 37 catches. The year Flacco finally goes over 4,000 yards, and Aiken was WR4, 8th on the team in receptions.

He has good size, good speed/athleticism, no question about his tools. I don't expect him to be a big time producer. He can play some on special teams, but he's not a returner. I'm not over the moon about this addition. I assume his contract will be reasonable. 

13 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

QBs are a different animal when it comes to mock drafts. Unless it's a Luck/Mariota/Winston, it's difficult to know how teams value the QBs in a "weak" QB class.

Still, in the mock I looked at, they both had 90%+ of the guys that went in the 1st round. The order of those players is a different story.

I think most of us could pick 25 guys that will go in the first round, if we don't have to pick who they're going to. 

These guys are supposed to be experts.  When you pick a guy to go 8th overall and he gets drafted in the 4th round, maybe you need to do a little more research.

I see Bucky Brooks has us taking Chidobe Awuzie in the first.  Nice player, but there are at least 5 CBs I'd take over him.  Including the other Colorado CB.

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

how is aiken the 6th anyway?  he should easily be in front of rodgers and bray.  probably dorsett too, and he could certainly pass moncrief.  in fact aiken has more yardage than any of those guys in his career

NCF makes some bizarre comments

If you're looking to pick a fight,  you've come to the wrong spot.

I didn't last Aiken as the 6th guy in order of his ability.     I listed him as the 6th guy after listing the other 5 WR's already on the roster and expected to be on the team.      Aiken would make 6.

Would you like it if I made comments about your posts even when you and I aren't engaged in a coversation?

You might want to re-think this approach.     I'm trying to ignore you.    But I won't be a punching bag for your ignorance.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I wanted to keep Peyton and take Russell Wilson that year....but I was a huge Peyton fan and just being selfish. It was the right move to let Peyton go for both parties but I just didn't want to not watch him continue to play for anyone else. I really liked Russell as a back up and to groom later on.

I think we were all torn over Peyton.

however, i'm SOOOOOO happy he got another ring.  Even if it was with another team.

Peyton is the GOAT in my mind.

3 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I think we were all torn over Peyton.

however, i'm SOOOOOO happy he got another ring.  Even if it was with another team.

Peyton is the GOAT in my mind.

In my mind too.  (Although we all really know who the GOAT is, and who the GOAT coach is, and what the GOAT franchise is...)

Peyton is still has the best commercials.

4 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Maybe, but the video is a nice contrast to listening to a bunch of people who are blatantly rooting against him so they can pile on about how he's a bust.

Those people complain about everything.  And i'm sure it doesn't stop with football.  Our society has become a bunch of spoiled malcontented people who go thru their trivial, sad lives complaining instead of doing ANYTHING to change their situation. Sometimes inthink they get pleasure out of being negative and unhappy.  Thank god i'm not one of "them".

Just now, WoolMagnet said:

Those people complain about everything.  And i'm sure it doesn't stop with football.  Our society has become a bunch of spoiled malcontented people who go thru their trivial, sad lives complaining instead of doing ANYTHING to change their situation. Sometimes inthink they get pleasure out of being negative and unhappy.  Thank god i'm not one of "them".

Seems to be prevalent amongst the Colts fanbase... I've been seeing this stuff all over social media today.

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

In my mind too.  (Although we all really know who the GOAT is, and who the GOAT coach is, and what the GOAT franchise is...)

Peyton is still has the best commercials.

I dont consider brady the goat.  I won my country club's championship one year.  Was always in the top 5.  I could have cheated and won a few more times and become a legend too.  But winning unfaily isnt winning in my book so brady and bellycheck are not on my list.

everyone is entitled to their opinion and THAT is and will always been mine.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Seems to be prevalent amongst the Colts fanbase... I've been seeing this stuff all over social media today.

They dont understand building a solid roster.  Its not all about A+ stars.  You need "lunchpail guys" too.

maybe we'll get lucky and they'll jump ship to the Texans.

53 minutes ago, Superman said:

Watch him finally stay healthy and lock down a starting spot... smh

Didn't Ben Ijalana re-sign with the Jets after starting 13 games last year for them at LT? Not sure how he faired but it was good to see him get past all those injuries and start to make a difference. Yeah I could see that happening with Thorton lol.

4 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

They dont understand building a solid roster.  Its not all about A+ stars.  You need "lunchpail guys" too.

maybe we'll get lucky and they'll jump ship to the Texans.

Lots of people seem to not realize that the roster has to be up to 90 by the time camp starts, and explaining it to them is just painful. Like, we can't just sign 40 offensive linemen, that's not how it works.