Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Round 1 -- Hasson Reddick ILB/OLB

The guy you build your defense around. He has great pass-rush ability, but shows the instincts, speed and change of direction to drop into coverage as well. (Alternative: Gareon Conley)

Round 2 --  Chidobe Awuzie / Fabian Moreau CB

Either would be a good pick imo. We ignored corner in FA because there's so much value in the draft.  Awuzie is the more polished corner, Fabian has elite speed. 

Round 3 -- Joe Mathis OLB

He lead the nation in pass-rush productivity by an edge defender before he got hurt. Great value here. 

Round 4 -- Corn Elder/Jordan Lewis CB

Start in the slot day 1. Lewis would be a steal if he fell this far. He plead not guilty but who knows what will happen. 

Round 4-- Eddie Jackson FS

Another falling because of injury.

Former CB, now FS, with elite ballhawk (10INT) and return skills (3TDs). Playmaker in the run game (126TKL - 7.5TFL - 2FF), and pass game (12PD). Great hands. Great instincts, reads QBs and reacts quickly from center field. 

Round 4-- Antonio Garcia/Jon Toth OG

Even more competition on the right side. 

Round 5-- RB

Im sure one that's interesting will be available here. 

Tell me what you like or hate. I thought Simon and Sheard were good additions. 

I like Mathis I feel that might be high for him tho. Not so sold on Awuzie to take him rd 2, don't think he's very polished takes alot of miss steps and got beat a lot last year. Idk if Lewis falls that far, if he did it would be amazing. Love Eddie Jackson, because we re signed DB I wouldn't mind taking a RB in this spot but that's just personal preference Jackson would be a great value pick. Hit the key positions I'm a fan of this 

6 hours ago, Tmoney said:

I like Mathis I feel that might be high for him tho. Not so sold on Awuzie to take him rd 2, don't think he's very polished takes alot of miss steps and got beat a lot last year. Idk if Lewis falls that far, if he did it would be amazing. Love Eddie Jackson, because we re signed DB I wouldn't mind taking a RB in this spot but that's just personal preference Jackson would be a great value pick. Hit the key positions I'm a fan of this 

Idk man we have good luck with rushers named Mathis.. haha JK. 

Would you like Fabian in the 2nd? I'm convinced on a CB in the 2nd. (If we don't take the Con man 1st)

9 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Round 1 -- Hasson Reddick ILB/OLB

The guy you build your defense around. He has great pass-rush ability, but shows the instincts, speed and change of direction to drop into coverage as well. (Alternative: Gareon Conley)

Round 2 --  Chidobe Awuzie / Fabian Moreau CB

Either would be a good pick imo. We ignored corner in FA because there's so much value in the draft.  Awuzie is the more polished corner, Fabian has elite speed. 

Round 3 -- Joe Mathis OLB

He lead the nation in pass-rush productivity by an edge defender before he got hurt. Great value here. 

Round 4 -- Corn Elder/Jordan Lewis CB

Start in the slot day 1. Lewis would be a steal if he fell this far. He plead not guilty but who knows what will happen. 

Round 4-- Eddie Jackson FS

Another falling because of injury.

Former CB, now FS, with elite ballhawk (10INT) and return skills (3TDs). Playmaker in the run game (126TKL - 7.5TFL - 2FF), and pass game (12PD). Great hands. Great instincts, reads QBs and reacts quickly from center field. 

Round 4-- Antonio Garcia/Jon Toth OG

Even more competition on the right side. 

Round 5-- RB

Im sure one that's interesting will be available here. 

Tell me what you like or hate. I thought Simon and Sheard were good additions. 

I like it, more and more I'm convinced that this is going to be a secondary heavy draft us.

I like it. The more I watch of Reddick the more I'm sold on him. I'm still reluctant to pick him at 15, but I'm getting there... his talent might be good enough for it, just my mind needs to catch up.

About Eddie Jackson - people forget that before he broke his leg he was projected as a day 1-early day 2 pick. I'm still wondering if his stock wouldn't rise before the draft.

3 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Would you like Fabian in the 2nd? I'm convinced on a CB in the 2nd. (If we don't take the Con man 1st)

I like it overall but would definitely take Moreau in the 2nd over Awuzie personally.  I think Fab will be a stud.  I like everything and we did have Lewis fall to us that would be great as well.  Not sure what RB you would want in the 5th but maybe someone like Brian Hill will be there.

3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I like it overall but would definitely take Moreau in the 2nd over Awuzie personally.  I think Fab will be a stud.  I like everything and we did have Lewis fall to us that would be great as well.  Not sure what RB you would want in the 5th but maybe someone like Brian Hill will be there.

I love em both. And I like Marlon Mack too. 

15 hours ago, GoColts00 said:

I like it!  Because Simon and Sheard were added I don't think we'll go after an OLB in Rd 3 but I like the players you have. 

I don't believe the additions of Sheard and Simon will alter anything that Ballard does in the draft.  If anything I think shoring up the areas they have in FA will mean they can more easily make a BPA decision in the draft.  

13 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I don't believe the additions of Sheard and Simon will alter anything that Ballard does in the draft.  If anything I think shoring up the areas they have in FA will mean they can more easily make a BPA decision in the draft.  

still pretty weak at CB and ilb.  we almost have to go after those positions early, but not necessarily round one

id rather put a weak second or third corner on the field than be weak at ilb

some say corner is more valuable, but i think you can hide them with solid front seven play

30 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

still pretty weak at CB and ilb.  we almost have to go after those positions early, but not necessarily round one

id rather put a weak second or third corner on the field than be weak at ilb

some say corner is more valuable, but i think you can hide them with solid front seven play

And others say you can hide a poor pass rush with lock-down corners.  I read somewhere within the last couple of weeks when Pagano & co did a postmortem on their bad defensive games, more times than not it was due to weak CB play.  

Even with all they have done in FA, they are in dire need of playmakers regardless of position.  This is why BPA is a far superior strategy.  They need difference makers so slotting players at a certain position into specific rounds does make much sense.  John Simon is a nice player but never in a million years would Ballard pass up someone he thought was an elite level player because he was already on the roster, nor should he.

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

ya, i have thought of that also. My choice for #15 is an OLB/ILB (Reddick) even though we added Simon & Sheard & Mingo. I'm not opposed to the Colts taking another OLB in Rd 3 if he is rated high enough on their board to warrant that selection. It's just my personal opinion that they probably won't take another in Rd 3 bc of the additions of players through FA.

On 3/20/2017 at 4:49 AM, Majin Vegeta said:

You know what dog. I went back and watch Chidobes film. As much as I hate how flat footed he gets in his press and when he breaks on the ball, all that is coachable. You can't coach that athletic ability and you can't coach that aggressiveness in the run game. Forget everything I said I like the pickhaha

1 hour ago, Tmoney said:

You know what dog. I went back and watch Chidobes film. As much as I hate how flat footed he gets in his press and when he breaks on the ball, all that is coachable. You can't coach that athletic ability and you can't coach that aggressiveness in the run game. Forget everything I said I like the pickhaha

Yeah man I'm definitely a fan of Awuzie. Day 1 starter on the outside. 

10 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Maybe we could get Moraeu a little later?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000794950/article/fabian-moreau-faces-draft-slide-following-pro-day-injury

I like your draft though.  Awuzie and Moreau together would be nice!  I would assume one would slide into the nickel since Butler is now a safety.

Maybe. It would be awesome if we could. 

Another DB I really like is Marcus Williams. This safety class was touted as super talented at the top but not close to as much depth as the corners. But it's a really deep safety class too.  

1 minute ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Maybe. It would be awesome if we could. 

Another DB I really like is Marcus Williams. This safety class was touted as super talented at the top but not close to as much depth as the corners. But it's a really deep safety class too.  

I think John Johnson would be good for one of our 4th round picks as well.

21 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Yeah man I'm definitely a fan of Awuzie. Day 1 starter on the outside. 

The mock I have in mind looks a lot like this.

Awuzie is one of my favorite CB's in this class. He can play outside the slot and has S experience basically anywhere on the back end. I love his chops in the run game.

If we could grab Lewis too that would be something. I'm not a big Fab fan too many injuries. I think we can find good value day 3 on the back end.

A couple of day 3 guys I like are Cutrer and Ford. I know this is a deep draft for DB's. I am surprised Rudy Ford's name isn't heard more. He has good tape at Auburn then ran 4.3's at the combine and pro day. He plays S and the slot. 

I would not be surprised to see us go with an UDFA at RB. I hear the groans now. There is going to be some talent that goes undrafted there's no way around it.  We don't have the picks to fill every hole. RB is a spot it's not unreasonable to find help looking at UDFA's. 

This draft should provide some options. Guys like Butler Brieda or change of pace guys Mizzel Hop or Boom even guys like Yearby and Foleston. 

I have had my eye on Big Stevie in the 5th. We have to get stronger at NT and more talent at LB. If we want to run an effective 3-4. Stevie is block eating run stuffing 2 down NT. The clocks ticking on Parry. 

The big question is Ballard's thinking about the OL. If we are planning on getting a player to challenge for a starting spot. We will probably want to look the first 2 days. I am not sure we have our RG yet. We can't mess around here any longer. 

4 hours ago, akcolt said:

The mock I have in mind looks a lot like this.

Awuzie is one of my favorite CB's in this class. He can play outside the slot and has S experience basically anywhere on the back end. I love his chops in the run game.

If we could grab Lewis too that would be something. I'm not a big Fab fan too many injuries. I think we can find good value day 3 on the back end.

A couple of day 3 guys I like are Cutrer and Ford. I know this is a deep draft for DB's. I am surprised Rudy Ford's name isn't heard more. He has good tape at Auburn then ran 4.3's at the combine and pro day. He plays S and the slot. 

I would not be surprised to see us go with an UDFA at RB. I hear the groans now. There is going to be some talent that goes undrafted there's no way around it.  We don't have the picks to fill every hole. RB is a spot it's not unreasonable to find help looking at UDFA's. 

This draft should provide some options. Guys like Butler Brieda or change of pace guys Mizzel Hop or Boom even guys like Yearby and Foleston. 

I have had my eye on Big Stevie in the 5th. We have to get stronger at NT and more talent at LB. If we want to run an effective 3-4. Stevie is block eating run stuffing 2 down NT. The clocks ticking on Parry. 

The big question is Ballard's thinking about the OL. If we are planning on getting a player to challenge for a starting spot. We will probably want to look the first 2 days. I am not sure we have our RG yet. We can't mess around here any longer. 

Good post. I agree about Awuzie, he doesn't get the hype he deserves.  And I posted in here last night that Jeremy Cutrer is my sleeper, nice to see someone else likes him too! 

I dont know know anything about Ford, I'll have to watch some tape when I get time. 

And about the OL. I'm on the side of the fence that thinks Haeg and Clark are going to be good players. And Ballard specifically bringing them up makes me think he feels the same. I think Schwenke was a solid underrated signing. I do have us taking Jon Toth in later rounds though. Haeg, Toth and Schwenke is good competition at RG IMO. 

1 hour ago, GoColts00 said:

BYU had their pro day yesterday. My pick for Safety, Kai Nacua, had a 39" vertical, 10'7" broad jump and had a 4.5 40. The last 2 seasons he was targeted 59 times, gave up 0 TDs, 12 INTs and 5 PBU.

Don't know anything about him, I'll have to look into him later on. A safety that I really like too is Marcus Williams.