Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perfect_Clark

Would you trade for Sherman?

Saw a source earlier today that if the price was right that the Seahawks might be willing to deal Sherman. If we had to give up a first and third, I would do it for 2018 (Since were picking 15th and by adding Sherman I think we would be picking later next season) He does have two years left on his contract and makes roughly $11 million annually. But his talent on the field is second to none and he's still young. He's a bigger corner who can play man, but he also is a big trash talker. But I kind of like that about him. Maybe he could bring a little toughness and a lot of talent to our defense.

Thoughts?

I mean I think he would be a great CB for us. But not nearly as good as he would be in Seattle. They play a zone. He has two great safety's that he can always count on. If he played man to man every down, I think he would get beat by speedsters a lot more like he got burnt by Hilton a few years ago! 

Does Seattle really expect a first and a third for a CB with an $11mill/year contract?  

They must like the CBs in this draft as a replacement.  So I'll do what they are thinking, and take a rookie with one first round pick instead of trading more picks and cap space for Sherman.

He is a zone scheme corner.  We run a press man most of the time and he would get destroyed in our system IMO. Plus at that price no chance anyone bites.

I think Seattle is zeroing in on a few CBs in the draft.  There are a ton of tall corners who would play well in their scheme.  If they manage to trade him away, I'd bet they target Rasul Douglas and Kevin King in the draft.

3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

He is a zone scheme corner.  We run a press man most of the time and he would get destroyed in our system IMO. Plus at that price no chance anyone bites.

3 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I mean I think he would be a great CB for us. But not nearly as good as he would be in Seattle. They play a zone. He has two great safety's that he can always count on. If he played man to man every down, I think he would get beat by speedsters a lot more like he got burnt by Hilton a few years ago! 

Seattle plays a ton of cover 3 and they use pattern-matching in their zone, so Sherman covers his guy like man to man in most deep routes.

I very much agree though that having safety like Earl Thomas makes his life easier. And I agree that trading a big price for 29yr old corners isn't something that should be high on Colts to-do list.

A. Good luck getting them to agree to picks for NEXT year instead of this year

B. Just use the pick(s) to draft a CB or even TWO and you got younger talent, more potential, all at a cheaper price. 

2nd rounder, yes, IMO. You are not going to find anyone better, in terms of skill, length and experience that would be better as a play maker in exchange for 2nd round value and with current CB prices higher than that, we will get good bang for the buck. We can definitely, I mean definitely use his play making opposite Vontae Davis. He will bring an attitude to the secondary as well. There is a vacuum with leadership and attitude on our D and I am not seeing who else is going to provide it right now.

Sherman would be a very good addition for a 2nd rounder for so many reasons stated above. Quantity is not quality and even if you bring in 2 rookies, it is not the same.

As I've felt about most trade speculation  this off season. We have enough holes on this roster already that we don't need to be giving up picks to get one guy. If we were just one player away from a superbowl I'd consider it, but not right now.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

2nd rounder, yes, IMO. You are not going to find anyone better, in terms of skill, length and experience that would be better as a play maker in exchange for 2nd round value and with current CB prices higher than that, we will get good bang for the buck. We can definitely, I mean definitely use his play making opposite Vontae Davis. He will bring an attitude to the secondary as well. There is a vacuum with leadership and attitude on our D and I am not seeing who else is going to provide it right now.

Sherman would be a very good addition for a 2nd rounder for so many reasons stated above. Quantity is not quality and even if you bring in 2 rookies, it is not the same.

Since we've got the cap to absorb his salary, I wouldn't hate a second rounder.

But then consider we'd have 2 old-ish CBs at high contracts, in a draft that is high in CB talent.  The salaries prevent us from drafting a CB earlier than round 3 (since you'd expect him to start), so your'e kind of cannibalizing your opportunities for the future by paying two guys that probably aren't going to help you win the SB this year.

I'd rather take the CB from Colorado in the 2nd, Awuzie Whatever.  That way, he could play the #2 role now, but also be in position to take over at #1 when Vontae leaves.  Vontae and Sherman are going to probably decline at about the same time, leaving two holes to fill in the future.

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Since we've got the cap to absorb his salary, I wouldn't hate a second rounder.

But then consider we'd have 2 old-ish CBs at high contracts, in a draft that is high in CB talent.  The salaries prevent us from drafting a CB earlier than round 3 (since you'd expect him to start), so your'e kind of cannibalizing your opportunities for the future by paying two guys that probably aren't going to help you win the SB this year.

I'd rather take the CB from Colorado in the 2nd, Awuzie Whatever.  That way, he could play the #2 role now, but also be in position to take over at #1 when Vontae leaves.  Vontae and Sherman are going to probably decline at about the same time, leaving two holes to fill in the future.

That would be another reason to consider a younger Trumaine Johnson if the Rams bite for a 3rd rounder, IMO. You never give them what they ask, and see if that would work out. :) 

I'm leaning towards no. I'm not as impressed with Sherman as everyone else, as a player, especially in a man defense. He's a great player and a playmaker, for sure. 

The reason I'm not fully a no is because A) his contract has no remaining guaranteed money; he's due approximately $11m a year for two more years, so the commitment isn't long term or burdensome. And B) he's 29 this year, and still has another 2+ years left in him, most likely.

I'd rather have a younger player who has more experience in a man defense, especially if I have to give up a pick for him. I still don't think we have the pass rush to support good corner play.

No.  It would be a yes if the colts had difference makers on defense to play alongside him, but they don't.  At Sherman's age it would be kind of a waste.

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

No.  It would be a yes if the colts had difference makers on defense to play alongside him, but they don't.  At Sherman's age it would be kind of a waste.

Yep. If we were a piece or two away from a championship then sure you make a run for him...but we are far away from being that type of team. A team like NE or Pittsburg or the Giants I could see having interest...but that's just not us yet.

Richard Sherman is one of my favorite non-Colts players.  I'd love to see him as a Colt.  Realistically, I don't think the Colts are competitive enough right now to make that kind of move. 

9 hours ago, Rick_Grimes said:

Saw a source earlier today that if the price was right that the Seahawks might be willing to deal Sherman. If we had to give up a first and third, I would do it for 2018 (Since were picking 15th and by adding Sherman I think we would be picking later next season) He does have two years left on his contract and makes roughly $11 million annually. But his talent on the field is second to none and he's still young. He's a bigger corner who can play man, but he also is a big trash talker. But I kind of like that about him. Maybe he could bring a little toughness and a lot of talent to our defense.

Thoughts?

Don't drink the bong water 

8 hours ago, coltsfan77 said:

Would think Atlanta would jump to deal for him.

I don't think they will. Alford will make just under 10M the next few years and Trufant will get monster contract extension soon and will make 8M this year.

21 hours ago, Finball said:

Seattle plays a ton of cover 3 and they use pattern-matching in their zone, so Sherman covers his guy like man to man in most deep routes.

I very much agree though that having safety like Earl Thomas makes his life easier. And I agree that trading a big price for 29yr old corners isn't something that should be high on Colts to-do list.

Yeah they do play a lot of cover 3. But when they go to man. Sherman generally covers the No. 2 receiver while the No. 1 receiver is covered by the second best corner with a safety doubling him overtop. Sherman only plays one side of the field most of the time as well. 

15 hours ago, Finball said:

I don't think they will. Alford will make just under 10M the next few years and Trufant will get monster contract extension soon and will make 8M this year.

I don't think Seattle would trade him to Atlanta because that would give them another weapon to beat Seattle with. I'd imagine they would trade him to an AFC team or someone who isn't a top team in the NFC.