Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why not Peppers?

I don't really see too many Colts fans pitching for us to draft Peppers at 15. The guy can play numerous positions and can help elevate our return game as well. We could have him play safety or maybe even bulk him up a little and have him as a LB. We desperately need someone on this defense who can make plays and add a little versatility to this defense. Peppers can be that guy. I would love to see Geathers and Peppers as our starting safeties and we can bring in TJ Green off the bench for certain formations. I love guys like Harris, Lamp and Cook.. but I wouldn't mind adding a guy like Peppers to our defense.

I think the main reasons I've read are that he's sort of a "tweener" guy.  He's not really a LB and he's not really a safety, and we already have a guy sorta like that in Geathers.  So it's kinda like why draft the guy you already have?  Personally, I wouldn't hate the idea because I think the more talent this defense has the better.  And some teams are starting to go with more of these tweener, versatile guys and play that "ameoba" type defense where you aren't real sure who's at what position and what they are going to do, and there's no real "formation" per se and it keeps the offense guessing.

I would have no problem with it IF he's the best guy defensively at #15.  If he's not then take someone else.  I personally have 9 other guys on defense I'd rather have ahead of him, but if all are gone then I'd be fine with it.

12 minutes ago, Rick_Grimes said:

Geathers is nowhere as talented as Peppers.

Well, that would make Peppers a valuable addition.  I keep hearing people say he's a tweener, a guy in between positions ... but I have also read that he is a team guy that goes and plays wherever he is asked and that THAT is what happened in college, that he was moved about for the good of the team.  Ask Peppers, though, and he says he considers himself to be a safety.

So you have this guy, with awesome athleticism, that is a safety, but will take one for the team playing wherever you want him to ... sounds like a great guy!

I would not be upset at all to get him.  Sounds like he might actually be the next best thing at safety.   Still though, I have to admit to wanting Lamp to further solidify the protection for Luck and to help solidify the rushing offence.  Peppers would surely be a welcome defensive piece of the puzzle, though, so I'd be hip to it.

1 hour ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Because he's the 5th best safety in the draft. So, yeah. Would be terrible. 

Oh come on, I'm a Buckeye and I have to defend this guy?

MAYBE, the second best SS, but he's way more versatile than Adams.  He could return kicks and step in at nickel LB when Geathers gets hurt (we all know it's going to happen). 

He'd be a great addition but it's not a high necessity position right now.  

12 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Oh come on, I'm a Buckeye and I have to defend this guy?

MAYBE, the second best SS, but he's way more versatile than Adams.  He could return kicks and step in at nickel LB when Geathers gets hurt (we all know it's going to happen). 

He'd be a great addition but it's not a high necessity position right now.  

He's a safety that never played safety. He never got one interception. No thanks. 

Adams

Hooker

Baker

Obi

Peppers

would be a terrible pick at 15. 

21 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

He's a safety that never played safety. He never got one interception. No thanks. 

Adams

Hooker

Baker

Obi

Peppers

would be a terrible pick at 15. 

He played safety in 15 and played just about every position on the field last year.  

Quit making me defend guys from that school up north. 

6 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

You can defend him all you want my man, doesn't change the fact he's the fifth best safety in the class haha.

Want to make a friendly little bet on where the real GMs rank him in the actual draft?

Are you willing to bet he's the fifth safety drafted?

He needs to go to a defense like the Arizona Cardinals that uses Buchannon like a LB but can match him up in coverage vs TEs as well. We have too much invested in the safety position with Geathers and Green to totally give up on them and move in a different direction, especially after the re-signing of Butler.

He might do well in a star studded D like the Broncos to groom behind T.J.Ward and Darian Stewart but on our D, he will put us in a quandary as to how to use him. If we want to use 3 safety looks, we have the personnel and I really think he will make a good weak side LB in a 4-3 with some strength gained on an NFL regimen, but that is just my opinion.

I'm sorry but that's insane. People have gone way off on the other end of the spectrum after he was (undeservedly) in conversation for The Heisman. He looks really good to me in his 2015 safety tape. He's not the 5th best safety. Obi is freak athletically but he has nowhere near the understanding and instincts of Peppers and Peppers is one of the better tacklers in this year's safety class. I would be alright drafting him at 15 and I kind of expect him to even go before us. Peppers is a damn good player and is a blue chip talent, who sacrificed his NFL stock to help his team(played wherever they told him to play even though it ultimately hurt his image coming into the draft). Add to that that he can be a 4th down player for you(returner) and you easily get a mid-first value on him.

I think a lot of teams will regret it if they let him fall to the second.

I like Peppers. He's versatile and excting. Not sure our coaches will use him proper. He can blitz as a LB, cover backs &TE's, and be a dynamic return guy. Maybe even a few plays on offense too.

He probably not the best pick for us @15, but maybe late 1st/early 2nd if he drops, which I doubt he will.

But I wouldn't be against him @15 either.

28 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Want to make a friendly little bet on where the real GMs rank him in the actual draft?

Are you willing to bet he's the fifth safety drafted?

I'd put a bet that he is the 4th safety drafted. If you'd like that?

Hard to predict who will go first before Obi and peppers. 

But in my rankings, he is 5th. 

17 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'm sorry but that's insane. People have gone way off on the other end of the spectrum after he was (undeservedly) in conversation for The Heisman. He looks really good to me in his 2015 safety tape. He's not the 5th best safety. Obi is freak athletically but he has nowhere near the understanding and instincts of Peppers and Peppers is one of the better tacklers in this year's safety class. I would be alright drafting him at 15 and I kind of expect him to even go before us. Peppers is a damn good player and is a blue chip talent, who sacrificed his NFL stock to help his team(played wherever they told him to play even though it ultimately hurt his image coming into the draft). Add to that that he can be a 4th down player for you(returner) and you easily get a mid-first value on him.

I think a lot of teams will regret it if they let him fall to the second.

It's really not that insane. If he was that great at safety he would have stayed there. He never even had 1 interception. The hype is what is insane. Also insane that you think he'd be a good selection at 15. Especially when you watch Buddha Bakers tape, they're in different leagues. 

Literally his biggest pro is that he is an athletic freak, same as Obi. And go watch Obis tape, he actually played the safety positions(both of them). 

2 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I'd put a bet that he is the 4th safety drafted. Hard to predict who will go first before Obi and peppers. 

It's really not that insane. If he was that great at safety he would have stayed there. He never even had 1 interception. The hype is what is insane. Especially when you watch Buddha Bakers tape, they're in different leagues. 

Literally his biggest pro is that he is an athletic freak, same as Obi. And go watch Obis tape, he actually played the safety positions(both of them). 

Agree to disagree. I love Buda Baker and I think they are about same level of prospects.

I'd actually prefer a guy like John Johnson out of BC later on. He can be that center-field type guy and help in the run game a bit.

I see where Peppers is an extremely gifted athlete, but I don't see the value in picking him at 15. He wouldn't be THAT much of an upgrade over Geathers, as opposed to the guys that will most likely be there at 15 that would be huge upgrades over the guys on our roster.

Just now, Majin Vegeta said:

That's fine. Except for the fact one has great tape, and one doesn't. And if you're drafting off of potential, I fail to to see how peppers has more than Obi. 

Why do you keep saying that? Peppers have great tape at S. I keep seeing that "he didn't have an interception" thing over and over and over again. He had 11 passes defensed in his 2015 season. That's no joke. Budda Baker doesn't have a single season with more than 7. It's incredibly dangerous to draw your conclusions from a single stat that doesn't even mean much when taken out of context. Just watch him playing safety. Would you like him to grab some interceptions? Sure... but that's not all that playing safety is about.

12 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I'd put a bet that he is the 4th safety drafted. Hard to predict who will go first before Obi and peppers. 

It's really not that insane. If he was that great at safety he would have stayed there. He never even had 1 interception. The hype is what is insane. Especially when you watch Buddha Bakers tape, they're in different leagues. 

Well, they asked him to play LB to help the team.  But quit saying he never played safety, that's not true.   

He will be a great SS in the NFL.  

16 minutes ago, stitches said:

Why do you keep saying that? Peppers have great tape at S. I keep seeing that "he didn't have an interception" thing over and over and over again. He had 11 passes defensed in his 2015 season. That's no joke. Budda Baker doesn't have a single season with more than 7. It's incredibly dangerous to draw your conclusions from a single stat that doesn't even mean much when taken out of context. Just watch him playing safety. Would you like him to grab some interceptions? Sure... but that's not all that playing safety is about.

Just my opinion from everything I've watched and read. Baker is a much better safety. 

16 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Well, they asked him to play LB to help the team.  But quit saying he never played safety, that's not true.   

He will be a great SS in the NFL.  

He literally didn't last year. You can say he did it to help the team, or you can say he is a better LB than S. And if he was physically bigger, he would be a linebacker in the NFL, not a S. 

And yeah the last thing we need is a SS. That's exactly what Geathers is and what Green will be. We need a FS. 

1 hour ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Just my opinion from everything I've watched and read. Baker is a much better safety. 

You can have the opinion that he's the fifth best safety available.  But you can't have the opinion he didn't play safety in college.  

So, now you're saying you'll bet he'll be the 4th safety drafted?   

13 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

You can have the opinion that he's the fifth best safety available.  But you can't have the opinion he didn't play safety in college.  

So, now you're saying you'll bet he'll be the 4th safety drafted?   

Well he switched from safety to linebacker soo..

And yes sir. But for MY rankings, he's 5th. 

And you ignored all of this:

He literally didn't last year. You can say he did it to help the team, or you can say he is a better LB than S. And if he was physically bigger, he would be a linebacker in the NFL, not a S. 

And yeah the last thing we need is a SS. That's exactly what Geathers is and what Green will be. We need a FS. 

Just now, Majin Vegeta said:

Well he switched from safety to linebacker soo..

And yeah. 

You're messing with me, right?  Okay, one more time.

He played a number of positions last season, including safety.  Did you ever see a game or are you just quoting the position they listed him as on the roster?

Was he playing LB when he scored 3TDs running the ball on offense?  

42 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He played a number of positions last season, including safety.  Did you ever see a game or are you just quoting the position they listed him as on the roster?

What he did on offense doesn't really make any difference. He'll be drafted to play defense and I wouldn't expect any team to use him on offense or special teams. 

I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him. But he'll need to be developed properly and used in a way that maximizes his potential. This is an area the Colts have struggled mightily IMO. 

36 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

What he did on offense doesn't really make any difference. He'll be drafted to play defense and I wouldn't expect any team to use him on offense or special teams. 

I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him. But he'll need to be developed properly and used in a way that maximizes his potential. This is an area the Colts have struggled mightily IMO. 

Hey, I'm not arguing for or against him.  I was just pointing out to the poster that he played more positions than LB.  

That guy's 'opinion' was that he didn't play safety.  That's like having an opinion that 2+2 does not equal 4. 

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

He needs to go to a defense like the Arizona Cardinals that uses Buchannon like a LB but can match him up in coverage vs TEs as well. We have too much invested in the safety position with Geathers and Green to totally give up on them and move in a different direction, especially after the re-signing of Butler.

He might do well in a star studded D like the Broncos to groom behind T.J.Ward and Darian Stewart but on our D, he will put us in a quandary as to how to use him. If we want to use 3 safety looks, we have the personnel and I really think he will make a good weak side LB in a 4-3 with some strength gained on an NFL regimen, but that is just my opinion.

Buchannon is who I envisioned as well.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

You ignored everything, again. Jeesh. 

Who cares what he did on offense. 

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Hey, I'm not arguing for or against him.  I was just pointing out to the poster that he played more positions than LB.  

That guy's 'opinion' was that he didn't play safety.  That's like having an opinion that 2+2 does not equal 4. 

He switched to linebacker. Therefor he wasn't a safety anymore. Like I said if he was bigger he wouldn't even be a safety in the NFL.  He is not a true FS like WE need. Therefor a terrible pick at #15, Which is my argument. So if you think a safety that literally did nothing but stay in the box and blitz last year, is a good pick for us at 15. Awesome. Good for you fam. 

27 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

He switched to linebacker. Therefor he wasn't a safety anymore. Like I said if he was bigger he wouldn't even be a safety in the NFL.  He is not a true FS like WE need. Therefor a terrible pick at #15, Which is my argument. So if you think a safety that literally did nothing but stay in the box and blitz last year, is a good pick for us at 15. Awesome. Good for you fam. 

Comprehension son.  You're the one who said he never played safety.  

He played safety...LB...RB...KR.  In one game he played something like 9 different positions.  

I never said I wanted him, just pointed out you were wrong in your description of him.  You still don't get it, but that's okay.  

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Comprehension son.  You're the one who said he never played safety.  

He played safety...LB...RB...KR.  In one game he played something like 9 different positions.  

I never said I wanted him, just pointed out you were wrong in your description of him.  You still don't get it, but that's okay.  

People are such * bags on this forum. Just argue to argue. The point never matters. 

39 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

People are such * bags on this forum. Just argue to argue. The point never matters. 

I was trying to be patient and explain that Peppers did play safety.  He played many other positions besides LB.  That's not an argument, that's a fact.

Not that I wanted him, or even that he was the top safety.  (Although I think he'll be drafted better than fifth.)

If I missed your point I'm sorry, but you really need to do a better job of reading, comprehending, and responding.   That's good advice for anyone, and not just on this forum.

I'm out.

Peppers is a damn good player.  And I like his overall swag and confidence in his own abilities to ball out. Seems like a very good guy and I love the infectious personality.  Loved his attitude at the combine where he was just volunteering himself for new challenges without any hesitation.  You want guys like that on your football team without a doubt.  He's a very good athlete and I love his speed and tackling.  Instincts are better than TJ Green.  He's got speed and athleticism to play either safety spot, but I think he's more of the in the Box type.  I think he'd definitely get better with focus on mastering one position versus many.   I'd love to have that kid on this team.   Pick #15 isn't my preference and I'd be mad if we took him there, but I'd eventually get over it I suppose.