Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard seems to be signing guys just "because".....

threeflight

23 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm guessing that he:

Watched film of the 2016 Colts

Identified areas that need improvement

Got rid of players he thought were not going to be part of the improvement

Gathered a list of players available

Compared that list to any players that he had notes on from previous resources

Signed players that fits the criteria that he has received from Pagano and the OCs

All why keeping in mind that the big name free agents rarely live up to the lofty contracts they sign

Also knowing that he wants to build the team through the draft but you can't do that in one draft nor do you want a team with 40-50% rookies in the starting lineup.

I hear you, but the Falcons just did it

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, threeflight said:

These are some quotes over on Stampede Blue, and I cannot argue with any of them.

Could someone name 1 position group we've upgraded?

have not addressed ILB. We have not addressed CB. We have not addressed pass rush or OLB as I don’t think Mingo, Simon, and Shepard are much of an upgrade over what we had 

Ballard lied to us all

I remember in one of his first interviews he stated that when they do go into free agency they are going to get guys who have "earned it". All the Colts have done so far is Sheard- backup, Simon- backup, Schwenke-back up and 

You are upset that we dumped Allens contract and haven't brought in TE to replace him? Doyle is the starter he took that job from Allen last year on the field. Grig's gave Allen too much money to be a back up. Huge loss? 

I don't understand how you look at OLB and don't think that position has been improved. Forget the fact Sheard started 59 of his 89 games as a Patriot. We go from Walden and a bunch of old men to Simon and Sheard. That is not much of an upgrade to you? Do you realize those were two of the top free agent OLB's? 

The LB's on this team were far and away the worse position group on the team and possibly in the league. Ballard has brought in 2 of the top OLB's and a former top 10 pick who can play both inside and out. 

We need to address ILB too Have any of the ILB's on the market signed? We have brought most of the ILB's on the market for a look I think when someone sets the market we will be players. 

We have not addressed CB in FA. That is a complete shock.Could that have to do with the fact this draft  class is one of the deepest and most talented maybe ever? 

You are complaining about guys like Harrison and Kerr not being resigned. Guys retiring and not being replaced. We didn't bring in any big names. Is that the problem?  I'm sure you wanted us to sign Poe yeah? 8M for a 2 down NT and we are better. 

There is a long way to go before we play football. You don't build a team in FA. That is how you get in trouble. We have made good signings all with a reason.  

Schwenke is better than Harrison and will make Blythe expendable. Only Grig's would draft a C 18th. overall then follow that by drafting a pure C. 

You may not realize it but we are better at OLB right now. Really it doesn't matter if we are better at any position unless they started playing games in April. Here is a look at PFF's top edge defenders on the market. Pay close attention to 4 & 5. You might learn something 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-the-10-best-edge-defenders-set-to-hit-free-agency/

Hoew about we wait until we see the final 53 before throwing in the towel. 

23 hours ago, threeflight said:

Am I the only one who is not liking what I am seeing so far with Ballard's free agent signings?  

He has signed 2 players who I guess could be considered starters in Simon and Sheard, and even they are not what I would call blue chippers by any stretch.

Other than that, he seems to be getting rid of the Colt players who were here already and just replacing them with "guys".  And I am starting to get the impression he doesn't really have any rhyme or reason to his signings.  It is almost as if he is signing them just because they weren't Colts.  

As soon as he signed that punter a little part of me went "uh oh".  I know he is just a punter but to me, it seems so much better to draft one then sign a guy like that.

And that was just the beginning.  Al Woods?  Mingo?  Schwenke?  Hunt?  And while their contracts are not large, they are still for $5 million or so and it is starting to eat away at our cap space and I cannot say we are any better off today then we were a month ago.

I just get the feeling that he really doesn't know what they heck he is doing, and is making changes just for the sake of changes.

Thoughts?

Oh boy...

Just sit back and let the guy do his thing. He has the reputation of building good teams...

And by the way...you do need depth as they play special teams, just saying. When's the last time you saw Peyton Manning in kick off return.

What I have noticed and dove into contract wise is that all of these signings aren't just giving away money. They are all really incentive based. Ballard is giving these second tier free agents a choice to go out and earn your spot, earn your money. Unlike Grigson who handed out money just because he had it. I love what Ballard is doing, he is essentially forcing his coaches to coach and his players to compete in order to earn their paycheck. Do some research dig into how the Patriots sign players...we're using the same incentive based contract formula they're using. 

Another signing....another who??

This team has a lot of depth.

Only one starter in the front 7, but lots of backups!!

This entire FA off season reminds me of when we used to be good.

Teams in our division used to sign our hand-me-downs.

How times have changed.

11 minutes ago, threeflight said:

How times have changed.

You just had to resurrect this crappy thread, didnt you? 

On 3/17/2017 at 1:24 PM, SteelCityColt said:

What about paying market value based on your projected performance level for them?

Exactly!!! Butler, Spence and Turbin were not overpaid, they were paid according to what they did last year and Spence is the only one truly projected, just for 1 year. Doyle, who was much younger, was paid market value.

Sheard and Simon were paid market value based on current and projected performances, not what they did 2 or 3 years ago, like AJ and Trent Cole with Grigson. They were 2 of the top 10 edge defenders in free agency on the appropriate side of 30. Al Woods, he is paid like a 2 down run defender. He had a calf injury last year but was paid like a 2 down defender. 

5 hours ago, threeflight said:

How times have changed.

This is a smart way to reconstruct a roster. Guys like Simon Sheard  Spence etc will help this team. We needed more help at LB than any draft could provide. That's about Grig's no one else. 

There are very few 3 down ILB in this draft. The signing of Spence gives us a guy who can cover and play ST's. He may save some wear and tear on Geathers at ILB too. It will be interesting to see. We have more options than yesterday. 

We are no longer in spot we have to take an ILB the first 2 days unless we like how the board falls. The only spot I see that has to be hit in the draft is CB. This is the perfect draft to get a couple of CB's. We will of course get an Edge too. 

Thess signings are to create competition and cover glaring weaknesses before the draft. Ballard has said all along you get your foundation pieces in the draft. Anyone expecting splash signings wasn't paying attention. 

I hope will still bring in Hodges and  McDouglan in FA. That's the 2 guys I have been wanting to see. A CB would not hurt my feelings either. I think bringing Butler back might be enough in Ballards mind on the back end before the draft. 

This draft is full of DB's. It will not be the pass rushers that slide very much. They will push some quality guys at other positions down the board. If we only had some extra day 3 picks I think there will be real quality to be had early day 3. 

I think everyone needs to understand we don't need the 85 Bears defense to win this division or even compete for the SB.   

We were 2 games from winning the division last yr.  

Ballard cant rebuild this team in 2 weeks of FA, and as much as many of you want to believe he cant sign everyone.   Other teams are competing to get players and some players that some of you want are just not right for the fit of this team.

Give him a chance....  we haven't even had his first draft yet

I am fairly optimistic Margus Hunt will do better in this defensive scheme.  I think he has quite a bit of potential as a 5 technique DE.  Think he can also cause some disruption from the 3 technique position as well shooting through gaps.  As an athlete I think he's got just as much juice as Henry Anderson. Didn't realize he runs a 4.6 forty.  It will be interesting to see if they can coach him up to bring it all together.  If so then that will be a big plus. 

On 3/16/2017 at 0:48 PM, lester said:

I can see what Ballard is doing.

He is getting rid of 30 year old depth and adding 26 year old depth. ...and the depth he has been signing has  almost universally the same career story - guys who never quite panned out and/or were playing behind some really, really good players on really, really good squads.

or have had injuries (sean spence).  But who hasn't been dinged up by the time they reach the age range we're signing (26ish).  I'd like to think this is going to create immense competition come training camp:

1) he's already stockpiling

2) the draft is still to come

3) free agency is in full-swing and he's obviously not done yet.

I'm sure some were like, "why isn't he doing anything?"   there at first..... now what are you saying?  He's doing too much....

Those of you complaining because of the randomness of the picks, have faith, I'm sure he is consulting with Pagano on every single acquisition :sarcasm:

But on a serious note,,,, I feel like what's going on in his Colts office is "Skunk Works".  Let the man design and develop.  He is, after all, the chosen one.

Image result for hilarious chosen one animation

Image result for hilareous The chosen one animation gifs flash

Image result for skunk works

Image result for skunk works

Image result for flash animation the end

Good read.

http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1258744

Before the start of free agency, new Colts general manager Chris Ballard warned that his first foray into the open market would be a careful one, saying his approach would be based on getting good value rather than seeking out blockbuster additions.

Few listened to Ballard's proclamation, however, and the Colts - who were one of the most cap-flushed teams in the league - were expected to spend big to fix their 30th-ranked defense.

While the Colts showed interested in defensive stars like Dontari Poe, A.J. Bouye, and Nick Perry, as well as surprisingly making a run at wide receiver Alshon Jeffery, they ended up capturing none - and that's a positive sign for Indy.

(edit: see link for the rest of the article)

Edited by Superman
copyright

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:25 PM, tfunky14 said:

Oh boy...

Just sit back and let the guy do his thing. He has the reputation of building good teams...

And by the way...you do need depth as they play special teams, just saying. When's the last time you saw Peyton Manning in kick off return.

Since this is his first GM gig, how has he a rep of building good teams?

We don't know how much input he had working under GM's for Chiefs/Bears.

I'm not saying Ballard is doing well so far or not, we will see. But this is HIS FIRST opportunity as far as I know.

3 hours ago, deedub75 said:

I just find it hard to believe that Pagano has a large role in picking the players. Irsay has looked to replace him over the last 2 seasons and Pagano needs to win now to save his job. 

When you look at the fact that they're all pretty much one year contracts, it's easy to understand. If Pagano gets chopped, they can rework the roster pretty easily in 2018, if necessary.

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Since this is his first GM gig, how has he a rep of building good teams?

We don't know how much input he had working under GM's for Chiefs/Bears.

I'm not saying Ballard is doing well so far or not, we will see. But this is HIS FIRST opportunity as far as I know.

1. Ballard has been credited with helping Kansas City General Manager John Dorsey remake a roster that went 2-14 in 2012 into a team that has posted four consecutive winning seasons, with three playoff appearances and this season’s AFC West title. Kansas City is 43-21 over the past four seasons.

3. Ballard was hired by the Kansas City Chiefs as director of player personnel in 2013 after 12 seasons with the Bears, 11 as the franchise’s southwest area scout, his final year as director of pro scouting. He helped draft Pro Bowlers Matt Forte, Johnny Knox, Charles Tillman and Nathan Vasher with the Bears,

4.Ballard has had personnel input that has delivered several top-tier players to the Kansas City roster, including tight end Travis Kelce, cornerback Marcus Peters and wideout/kick returner Tyreek Hill, Pro Bowlers all.

5 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

1. Ballard has been credited with helping Kansas City General Manager John Dorsey remake a roster that went 2-14 in 2012 into a team that has posted four consecutive winning seasons, with three playoff appearances and this season’s AFC West title. Kansas City is 43-21 over the past four seasons.

3. Ballard was hired by the Kansas City Chiefs as director of player personnel in 2013 after 12 seasons with the Bears, 11 as the franchise’s southwest area scout, his final year as director of pro scouting. He helped draft Pro Bowlers Matt Forte, Johnny Knox, Charles Tillman and Nathan Vasher with the Bears,

4.Ballard has had personnel input that has delivered several top-tier players to the Kansas City roster, including tight end Travis Kelce, cornerback Marcus Peters and wideout/kick returner Tyreek Hill, Pro Bowlers all.

Dorsey is the GM, Head Honcho. His job, his reputation, as all GM's are on the line with each move they make.

Sure they have assistants with some input, but it's their call and responsibility when moves are made.

I'm sure Griggs had other people whispering in his ear, but the bad signings and draft picks was his responsibility and that's why he was canned.

On 3/17/2017 at 0:07 PM, akcolt said:

You are upset that we dumped Allens contract and haven't brought in TE to replace him? Doyle is the starter he took that job from Allen last year on the field. Grig's gave Allen too much money to be a back up. Huge loss? 

I don't understand how you look at OLB and don't think that position has been improved. Forget the fact Sheard started 59 of his 89 games as a Patriot. We go from Walden and a bunch of old men to Simon and Sheard. That is not much of an upgrade to you? Do you realize those were two of the top free agent OLB's? 

The LB's on this team were far and away the worse position group on the team and possibly in the league. Ballard has brought in 2 of the top OLB's and a former top 10 pick who can play both inside and out. 

We need to address ILB too Have any of the ILB's on the market signed? We have brought most of the ILB's on the market for a look I think when someone sets the market we will be players. 

We have not addressed CB in FA. That is a complete shock.Could that have to do with the fact this draft  class is one of the deepest and most talented maybe ever? 

You are complaining about guys like Harrison and Kerr not being resigned. Guys retiring and not being replaced. We didn't bring in any big names. Is that the problem?  I'm sure you wanted us to sign Poe yeah? 8M for a 2 down NT and we are better. 

There is a long way to go before we play football. You don't build a team in FA. That is how you get in trouble. We have made good signings all with a reason.  

Schwenke is better than Harrison and will make Blythe expendable. Only Grig's would draft a C 18th. overall then follow that by drafting a pure C. 

You may not realize it but we are better at OLB right now. Really it doesn't matter if we are better at any position unless they started playing games in April. Here is a look at PFF's top edge defenders on the market. Pay close attention to 4 & 5. You might learn something 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-the-10-best-edge-defenders-set-to-hit-free-agency/

Hoew about we wait until we see the final 53 before throwing in the towel. 

Word!! :)