Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts linked with ILB Zach Brown

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I used to always check the newspaper at school to see if the Braves won or not. First thing I did each morning in class. :) Would look at the stats and keep a copy all day for class lol. 

lol same here but with the Cubs....Man I loved me some newspaper box scores

10 hours ago, Superman said:

Yes, he's got the range and the ability to move in space, and he's good sized. He hasn't been a consistent player at all, but he has some good stuff on the books. I'd much rather have him than Minter, for instance. But if Minter wants $4m and Brown wants $10m (just for instance), I'd probably go with Minter and wait to get my guy in the draft at some point. 

Yeah, im not a believer in big spending on 3-4 ILBs in particular. I think if youve got your front 5 in good shape,  your LBs just need to be able to tackle well. I know that is an oversimplification, but the point is, if youre gonna spend slbig on anything in a 3-4, it should be your DLs and OLBs.

13 hours ago, chad72 said:

It is called The Village. An interesting take, nevertheless portrayed in the movie. It will at least be somewhat entertaining for you. 

Loved that movie. M Night has had some good movies....and some bad ones....this was a good one. Acting was top notch imo.

4 hours ago, JTrouble said:

lol same here but with the Cubs....Man I loved me some newspaper box scores

I used to check the sporting news to keep up with my fantasy baseball more than 20 years ago......yeah fantasy football might be king now but back then fantasy baseball was the only one around......we had to use pencil and paper to run it but boy was it fun. I remember the arguments who was better...Griffey or Frank Thomas....good ol days in first period health class checking the stats.  

Brown, in a contract year, played about 8 games at a level never seen before, and then reverted back to his norm.
 Not someone i would want to lock in on in years 2,3 4 as part of our next SB charge. We need to do better and this draft can get us one of those guys.
 True of Minter also. He is just a (DQ) guy.

46 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Brown, in a contract year, played about 8 games at a level never seen before, and then reverted back to his norm.
 Not someone i would want to lock in on in years 2,3 4 as part of our next SB charge. We need to do better and this draft can get us one of those guys.
 True of Minter also. He is just a (DQ) guy.

I wouldn't mind Minter, because he's been known as the linchpin of the AZ defense and that type of player is extremely important. He may not be a superstar, but you draft a Reddick, Foster, or McMillan, put them beside him and they'll shine.

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Of course we know he's not Hightower.  Not to say he doesn't deserve a good contract. 

He's been nowhere near consistent enough to warrant a Hightower-like contract. If he consistently played at the level we saw at times last season, he'd absolutely deserve a big contract.

I would be okay with signing Zach Brown. He is the perfect age, and at this point you know what you're getting with him. His salary will likely be anywhere between 5-7 million per year. I think it will just depend on who falls in love with him the most. 

By signing with the Colts, he could get sweet revenge. Tennessee didn't tender him, and let him walk onto his best year as a Pro.

Not the end of the world if we do not sign him, but he does appear to be a nice fit for our scheme. He shined in the Ryans' system, and I am sure he would like to stay working in a similar defense. 

5 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I would be okay with signing Zach Brown. He is the perfect age, and at this point you know what you're getting with him.

That's the problem. You don't know what you're getting. He was incredibly inconsistent last season. One second he looks like a top ILB, the next he looks clueless.

He's got that cocky attitude you love in your defensive players. He's worth the money and we have the money. Might be the 2nd most athletic LB in the league behind Shazier. I dont blame him for saying that, Oakland probably low-balled him and he knows what he's worth. Had a 2nd team All-Pro year last year and feels he deserves more. I hope we offer up 7-8mil per, in 2 years that'll be chump change. Our cap guy knows how to structure contracts, front load the deal, make it easy to get out of if need be. 

1 minute ago, Shive said:

That's the problem. You don't know what you're getting. He was incredibly inconsistent last season. One second he looks like a top ILB, the next he looks clueless.

I definitely wouldn't say clueless but he did digress after the mid way point last year. Motivation could be the problem, but that's why I'd have his contract with high incentives. 

8 minutes ago, Shive said:

He has been in the league for 5 years (injured one). He has started more than 50 games. Whoever signs him, knows what they're getting with him. 

1 minute ago, Tmoney said:

I definitely wouldn't say clueless but he did digress after the mid way point last year. Motivation could be the problem, but that's why I'd have his contract with high incentives. 

Some say that the issues caused by the whole Rex Ryan debacle are to blame for his regression in the 2nd half of the year. An incentive-heavy contract would be a good idea for him, but anyone that has a questionable motor in a contract year concerns me. If nothing else, you're playing for yourself. That's what the 1 year "prove it" deal is all about.

Some say that the issues caused by the whole Rex Ryan debacle are to blame for his regression in the 2nd half of the year. An incentive-heavy contract would be a good idea for him, but anyone that has a questionable motor in a contract year concerns me. If nothing else, you're playing for yourself. That's what the 1 year "prove it" deal is all about.

We dont blitz as much but our 3-4 scheme is pretty comparable to Rex's. I think he'd be a perfect fit, plus the versatility of playing Mike or Will

4 minutes ago, Shive said:

An incentive-heavy contract would be a good idea for him, but anyone that has a questionable motor in a contract year concerns me. If nothing else, you're playing for yourself. That's what the 1 year "prove it" deal is all about.

He already had a one-year prove it deal. And he proved it. 149 tackles, 4 sacks, a pick, and 2 forced fumbles. Those are not numbers to sneeze at. 

He is going to get paid now. 

6 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

He has been in the league for 5 years (injured one). He has started more than 50 games. Whoever signs him, knows what they're getting with him. 

The number of games isn't the concern. The fact that he was hot one second and cold the next is the problem here. Here is a scouting report on him by Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2691726-nfl1000-free-agency-rankings-for-the-2017-ilb-market)

Zach Brown might be the most inconsistent player in the league. Where he goes and how much a team spends will largely depend on which plays that team watched and bought into. Turning on game film of Brown at various parts of the season paints the picture of an entirely different player. That inconsistency is, and will continue to be, his major flaw.

Brown’s best reps flaunt him as an athletic, run-stuffing versatile player that can defend the run inside and out and pressure the quarterback when asked to. His worst reps, however, show a lethargic and disinterested player lacking the aggressiveness to defend interior runs with any weight behind him. Zach’s play was the NFL’s equivalent of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, with one play highlighting a player dominating his competition and the next showing a player that looked lost and overwhelmed.

Additionally, his last half of the season was an example of a player mentally checking out, often looking disinterested in playing with passion whether it was because of his upcoming contract situation or the general dysfunction of the Buffalo Bills organization. Brown has more than enough traits to become an above-average linebacker in the league, but he’s failed to control his own recklessness to be an efficient and consistent player.

Teams will call because he’s shown flashes of being very good, but he’ll have to answer questions about his inconsistent play and his end to 2016. Many players see regression in their play throughout the years, and it isn’t surprising to see players have random career years, but Brown’s fluctuating performance has to be a cause for concern. He may have no choice but to sign a deal with a couple of years on it at the most.

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

He already had a one-year prove it deal. And he proved it. 149 tackles, 4 sacks, a pick, and 2 forced fumbles. Those are not numbers to sneeze at. 

He is going to get paid now. 

You're looking at stats. The above looks solely at film, which is the end-all-be-all..

The number of games isn't the concern. The fact that he was hot one second and cold the next is the problem here. Here is a scouting report on him by Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2691726-nfl1000-free-agency-rankings-for-the-2017-ilb-market)

First of all, you're quoting one of the worst NFL sites in internet history. 

Zach Brown is likely to get anywhere from 5-7 million a year, which will prove the article you're quoting an exaggeration. 

He will get that much money because he earned it. 

1 hour ago, backshoulderfade said:

He is definitely going to want that Hightower money. 3 year contract might not be too bad, though. We will see.

Huh?!?

What makes you think he'll want Hightower money?      That only happens if he's got the worst agent around.

And I don't think he does, because that hasn't been leaked anywhere.    No reports of him wanting Hightower money.   

He's not the same as Dont'a Hightower.    They're not even close to the same.     One has done it his whole career,  the other has had one, maybe two nice years.     That's it.

Brown's market is much lower than Hightower's.     And odds are teams have not been offering what he's asking for and that's why he's still shopping around.

NOTE:   I see in the thread other poster's said similar things to what I said...   sorry I didn't see that sooner....    didn't mean to echo them....

5 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

First of all, you're quoting one of the worst NFL sites in internet history. 

Zach Brown is likely to get anywhere from 5-7 million a year, which will prove the article you're quoting an exaggeration. 

He will get that much money because he earned it. 

This all started with you saying that you know what you're getting with him. I posted an example of a write-up explaining why that wasn't the case. I can post many more, because it's a widely known fact that he was extremely inconsistent.

You cited his stats for the season. We've had ILB's rack up gaudy stats before when they weren't actually good players. The issue with him isn't whether or not he'll make the tackle, but is he going to be playing with passion and make the TFL or sit there letting the play come to him and make the tackle for a 4 yard gain.

7 minutes ago, Shive said:

This all started with you saying that you know what you're getting with him. I posted an example of a write-up explaining why that wasn't the case. I can post many more, because it's a widely known fact that he was extremely inconsistent.

You cited his stats for the season. We've had ILB's rack up gaudy stats before when they weren't actually good players. The issue with him isn't whether or not he'll make the tackle, but is he going to be playing with passion and make the TFL or sit there letting the play come to him and make the tackle for a 4 yard gain.

So how do you "not know" what you're getting with him?

Effort has been the knock on him for a while, right. He has been labeled as one of the most athletic inside linebackers in the NFL, right? When he is on his game he plays at an elite level, right?

At what point do you "just know" who a player is? Not sure about you, but it doesn't take me 50 starts to figure it out. 

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?!?

What makes you think he'll want Hightower money?      That only happens if he's got the worst agent around.

And I don't think he does, because that hasn't been leaked anywhere.    No reports of him wanting Hightower money.   

He's not the same as Dont'a Hightower.    They're not even close to the same.     One has done it his whole career,  the other has had one, maybe two nice years.     That's it.

Brown's market is much lower than Hightower's.     And odds are teams have not been offering what he's asking for and that's why he's still shopping around.

NOTE:   I see in the thread other poster's said similar things to what I said...   sorry I didn't see that sooner....    didn't mean to echo them....

Hightowers deal is 8.8 million per. I think Brown will want 7-8 million per. I understand it is more complicated than just the per year numbers.

I don't think Brown is the same level of player as Hightower. But he is a good player nonetheless, who is still available relatively late. I think that's a sign he wants more than teams value him at.

1 minute ago, backshoulderfade said:

Hightowers deal is 8.8 million per. I think Brown will want 7-8 million per. I understand it is more complicated than just the per year numbers.

I don't think Brown is the same level of player as Hightower. But he is a good player nonetheless, who is still available relatively late. I think that's a sign he wants more than teams value him at.

Hightower's deal is 4/43.5     His deal is 10.875 Million per.   

How did you come up 8.8?    Did you view it as a 5-year deal?     It's 4.

2 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

Thanks, good info.    I had not seen/heard that anywhere.    Much appreciated.

That definitely doesn't help Brown.     He was not going to be in that neighborhood anyway.

A lower ceiling for Hightower is a lower ceiling for all ILB's.....

Anyway,  thanks again!         :thmup:

6 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hightower's deal is 4/43.5     His deal is 10.875 Million per.   

How did you come up 8.8?    Did you view it as a 5-year deal?     It's 4.

Yup I just saw this too. Huge difference so disregard any speculation on Brown's contract from my posts. 

This is good for us though 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks, good info.    I had not seen/heard that anywhere.    Much appreciated.

That definitely doesn't help Brown.     He was not going to be in that neighborhood anyway.

A lower ceiling for Hightower is a lower ceiling for all ILB's.....

Anyway,  thanks again!         :thmup:

I don't know what the incentives are, if they are NLTBE or what, though. 

I just think you misinterperated me, I was in work and didn't really put much thought into my initil post. I think he has priced himself out the market so far.