Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why is Poe so coveted?

1 hour ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Can they afford him?  They gave out huge contracts last year and have to resign both Mack and Carr next year don't they?

Yea they had around 40 mil in cap space before FA but idk what they've done so far. But like you said they have to break the bank for Carr and Mack so signing a big contract could compromise that.

14 hours ago, masnerj said:

Though it is interesting why Ballard doesn't wanna give him the one year deal. 

I believe it comes down to contract control and potentially getting a better deal in the long term.

1 year deal

Does well - Commands more money next year and a long term deal at that.

Does poorly - Would probably get quite a bit less than the 1 year deal and would probably be another 1 year deal.

Multi-year Deal

Does well - Poe is stuck getting paid less than his play dictates, but has to wait a few years before commanding more money.

Does poorly - Most of our contracts are structured in a way to allow us to cut a player without much (if any) dead money, so it wouldn't be a problem to cut bait if he doesn't work out.

Poe believes he's worth more than his market value is saying, so he wants a year to prove it and leverage us or some other team for a top dollar.

We want to lock him up for a few years to potentially get more value out of the signing.

In order for this defense to succeed you need a DT like Poe. He clogs holes and produces double teams. He can create pressure up the middle as well. He's one of the best in the league and there's a reason why Ballard brought him in. Hopefully the connection with Ballard and having a QB like Luck is good enough to bring him here. We could really use his services, but I don't feel like we need to break the bank for him. I trust Ballard and if Poe signs somewhere else I won't blame our GM.

12 hours ago, Tmoney said:

That's why he's visited a different team everyday since Sunday. And another one 2morro. Yea idk if he'll even find a contract no body wants him

Nobody wants to pay him that much obviously. Probably because of his back issues. 

9 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Yea they had around 40 mil in cap space before FA but idk what they've done so far. But like you said they have to break the bank for Carr and Mack so signing a big contract could compromise that.

They have made only 1 signing of note; Cordarrelle Patterson to a 1 year, 5M deal, of which around half is incentive-based.

They are probably going to extend Mack and Carr this offseason and they both combined could be costing around 45M or so after next year; depends who they'll structure those deals. Even with that, they still have enough cap space to sign him but they might want to prefer keeping the cap space for the future.

As it stands now, they have quite a bit of question-marks in their Dline and it doesn't look like SB-caliber to me. So we'll see what they do.

13 hours ago, Track Guy said:

Nobody wants to pay him that much obviously. Probably because of his back issues. 

That's one theory, to me I think Dontari is getting all the offers he wants he's just taking a true FA tour. I guarantee every team as at least offered him 10 mil a year, but now that hes played the long game he probably ends up with 11-12mil.