Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scouting notes: Quincy Wilson, CB

Following the format of @Superman , I just wanted to do a little armchair scouting of some of the guys that I particularly like in the draft that would be possible options for the Colts. First one for me is Quincy Wilson....

Junior CB, #6 for the Gators

Size: 6'1", 211 pounds, good arm length. You couldn't get a more prototypical cornerback in terms of body structure for today's NFL. 10/10

Athleticism: Not an outstanding athlete, but pretty solid for his size. His combine numbers didn't pop out other than his 20 yard shuttle. He had a poor vertical at only 32", which is surprising when you watch his tape. He is excellent at out-jumping his man to make a play on the ball. He is not a sudden mover, so I would not match him up against the shiftier Antonio Brown's of the world. He definitely has the athleticism to make it in the league, especially going against opponent's bigger receivers. 7/10

Fluidity: Much more of a fluid mover than a sudden mover. He is the guy you want on the outside. He will turn his hips and run with people, with excellent balance and mirroring ability. Not the guy you want playing in the slot as he wouldn't be quick enough to react to the different route combinations that are often run out of the slot. 8/10

Physicality: Tremendously physical against the receivers but far less physical while being blocked. If coaches are able to get him to use more physicality against the run, I believe he would be a good run stopper as well. Does need to improve his tackling as well, but I'm not dinging him too much for it as I somewhat subscribe to the Deion Sanders school of cornerbacking. If you're asking your corner to stop the run, you're doing it wrong. He is strong and demonstrates a willingness to get himself involved against the run. As for playing his man, he is physical to a fault. Great at running his man down the boundary and getting a strong jab off the line of scrimmage. Excellent at breaking up passes at the right moment. The only problem is that in the NFL he will have to tone it down a little bit or risk being penalized, but the ability is absolutely with him. 9/10

Technical ability: Some of the scouts seem to like him better in zone schemes, but I disagree. He occasionally gets lost when a receiver enters his zone and may not have the best route recognition in such a scheme. He's not bad, and against simple routes he'd be fine covering the curl/flat in a Cover 2, or a deep third in a Cover 3, but when receivers are stacked on his side, he seems to struggle with knowing who to pick up. In man coverage, he is nasty against routes that are outside the numbers, but when a guy uses an inside release he allows too much separation. Gave up a passer rating of 29.9 and a less than 40% completion rate. 8/10

Ball skills: Considering he played predominately in man coverage and was targeted only 49 times on the year, his 3 interceptions and 9 pass break ups speaks volumes to his ball skills. He knows when to attack the ball in both man and zone. 10/10

Run defense: Needs to improve here. He is slow to react to the run, but that also has to do with his man coverage style. He will learn to react faster. Needs to get better at keeping his head up and making tackles like a professional. He is also very easily blocked downfield, which is a shame given his physicality. I do believe the coaches will get the best out of him in this area as he does show a willingness to get involved. 4/10

Consistency: Prone to being beat inside and against the smaller receivers, but will stick to his man like Jerry Rice's sticky gloves when he is given favorable match-ups. Needs to get better at beating blocks downfield, as well as recognizing run plays. 7/10

Scheme fit: I would have liked to see him move around a little bit. He doesn't appear to have much experience at all other than playing the right cornerback position. I know that some teams prefer to leave their corners on one side, but I'd like to know if he could be moved around effectively. He can play different kinds of coverage, and if we play predominately man, he will be a perfect fit. 9/10

Intangibles/Potential: He has football in his blood, his father was a corner for the 'Canes and now a coach. Appears to be of high character and have a passion for the game. I don't see anything to indicate he would be a poor locker room presence. Strikes me as a guy that will be willing to work and perfect his craft. 10/10

Overall: 82/100 

One of my favorite prospects of the draft, and he seems to be projecting anywhere from the middle of the first to the middle of the second. I don't know if I'd want to draft him with our first, but if he's there in the second I would be ecstatic to land him. Based on his physical brand of man coverage, his lack of targets, and his exclusive right cornerback play, he is comparable to Nnamdi Asomugha from his Raider days. Also somewhat comparable to my 2013 draft crush; Xavier Rhodes. 

I could be off but I'm not impressed with either Gator CB.  Mainly because they weren't tested.  The good teams had no need to throw against them, they ran it down their throats.  

Neither of the two are particularly fast.  I'm hoping the Colts stay away from them.  

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I could be off but I'm not impressed with either Gator CB.  Mainly because they weren't tested.  The good teams had no need to throw against them, they ran it down their throats.  

Neither of the two are particularly fast.  I'm hoping the Colts stay away from them.  

1st round yes. But I'd take Wilson round 2. Tabor is way overrated.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

1st round yes. But I'd take Wilson round 2. Tabor is way overrated.

For what it's worth,  Tabor had a terrible combine.    Think he clocked something like 4.64 or something close to that........     Not sure the rest of his results were that much better....

If Tabor is a stock,  then I think your analyst just gave a signal to SELL!      :peek:

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it's worth,  Tabor had a terrible combine.    Think he clocked something like 4.64 or something close to that........     Not sure the rest of his results were that much better....

If Tabor is a stock,  then I think your analyst just gave a signal to SELL!      :peek:

Yeah. Tabor had a bad 40 and looked bad in the drills. Plus he played like 15-20 yards off of receivers. Wilson is better IMO.

Tabor is the better of the 2 players. Unless Wilson goes to a team like Seattle where he only plays Cover 3 and stays on the boundary, he will be exposed at the NFL level. He will struggle severely against quicker WRs. 

On March 13, 2017 at 9:27 PM, The Peytonator said:

Following the format of @Superman , I just wanted to do a little armchair scouting of some of the guys that I particularly like in the draft that would be possible options for the Colts. First one for me is Quincy Wilson....

Junior CB, #6 for the Gators

Size: 6'1", 211 pounds, good arm length. You couldn't get a more prototypical cornerback in terms of body structure for today's NFL. 10/10

Athleticism: Not an outstanding athlete, but pretty solid for his size. His combine numbers didn't pop out other than his 20 yard shuttle. He had a poor vertical at only 32", which is surprising when you watch his tape. He is excellent at out-jumping his man to make a play on the ball. He is not a sudden mover, so I would not match him up against the shiftier Antonio Brown's of the world. He definitely has the athleticism to make it in the league, especially going against opponent's bigger receivers. 7/10

Fluidity: Much more of a fluid mover than a sudden mover. He is the guy you want on the outside. He will turn his hips and run with people, with excellent balance and mirroring ability. Not the guy you want playing in the slot as he wouldn't be quick enough to react to the different route combinations that are often run out of the slot. 8/10

Physicality: Tremendously physical against the receivers but far less physical while being blocked. If coaches are able to get him to use more physicality against the run, I believe he would be a good run stopper as well. Does need to improve his tackling as well, but I'm not dinging him too much for it as I somewhat subscribe to the Deion Sanders school of cornerbacking. If you're asking your corner to stop the run, you're doing it wrong. He is strong and demonstrates a willingness to get himself involved against the run. As for playing his man, he is physical to a fault. Great at running his man down the boundary and getting a strong jab off the line of scrimmage. Excellent at breaking up passes at the right moment. The only problem is that in the NFL he will have to tone it down a little bit or risk being penalized, but the ability is absolutely with him. 9/10

Technical ability: Some of the scouts seem to like him better in zone schemes, but I disagree. He occasionally gets lost when a receiver enters his zone and may not have the best route recognition in such a scheme. He's not bad, and against simple routes he'd be fine covering the curl/flat in a Cover 2, or a deep third in a Cover 3, but when receivers are stacked on his side, he seems to struggle with knowing who to pick up. In man coverage, he is nasty against routes that are outside the numbers, but when a guy uses an inside release he allows too much separation. Gave up a passer rating of 29.9 and a less than 40% completion rate. 8/10

Ball skills: Considering he played predominately in man coverage and was targeted only 49 times on the year, his 3 interceptions and 9 pass break ups speaks volumes to his ball skills. He knows when to attack the ball in both man and zone. 10/10

Run defense: Needs to improve here. He is slow to react to the run, but that also has to do with his man coverage style. He will learn to react faster. Needs to get better at keeping his head up and making tackles like a professional. He is also very easily blocked downfield, which is a shame given his physicality. I do believe the coaches will get the best out of him in this area as he does show a willingness to get involved. 4/10

Consistency: Prone to being beat inside and against the smaller receivers, but will stick to his man like Jerry Rice's sticky gloves when he is given favorable match-ups. Needs to get better at beating blocks downfield, as well as recognizing run plays. 7/10

Scheme fit: I would have liked to see him move around a little bit. He doesn't appear to have much experience at all other than playing the right cornerback position. I know that some teams prefer to leave their corners on one side, but I'd like to know if he could be moved around effectively. He can play different kinds of coverage, and if we play predominately man, he will be a perfect fit. 9/10

Intangibles/Potential: He has football in his blood, his father was a corner for the 'Canes and now a coach. Appears to be of high character and have a passion for the game. I don't see anything to indicate he would be a poor locker room presence. Strikes me as a guy that will be willing to work and perfect his craft. 10/10

Overall: 82/100 

One of my favorite prospects of the draft, and he seems to be projecting anywhere from the middle of the first to the middle of the second. I don't know if I'd want to draft him with our first, but if he's there in the second I would be ecstatic to land him. Based on his physical brand of man coverage, his lack of targets, and his exclusive right cornerback play, he is comparable to Nnamdi Asomugha from his Raider days. Also somewhat comparable to my 2013 draft crush; Xavier Rhodes. 

This is a darn fine write up Peytonator. I like how 1 of your categories included scheme fit, a factor most evaluators refuse or neglect to even touch at all. 

"He has football in his blood, his father was a corner for the 'Canes and now a coach." 

Kids with football bloodlines are always a good omen too since they have been exposed to so many formations & situations throughout their playing lives. They know what is being utilized to slow them down. 

It's good to know that Dustin has some evaluation competition. Just kidding! Well done though Peytonator. :hat:

I don't see what's so special about either corner either. I agree with a lot of your analysis, so I'm wondering how he got a 82/100. He's more like a 74/100. They are average at everthing, so that would have them project to 2nd or 3rd rounders.

I'ts also more difficult to scout these db on these top 15 ranked, defense heavy ranked teams. They really don't get targeted much. Sidney go targeted a lot so you get a lot examples of how he can interfere with a pass or make a play.

These CB may have entered into a comfort zone because of he overall help on he defense. Kind of like Morris Cliaborne. Those type of corners seemed to get shell shocked a lot when they get to the pros.  

2 hours ago, Freeupfreeney said:

I don't see what's so special about either corner either. I agree with a lot of your analysis, so I'm wondering how he got a 82/100. He's more like a 74/100. They are average at everthing, so that would have them project to 2nd or 3rd rounders.

I'ts also more difficult to scout these db on these top 15 ranked, defense heavy ranked teams. They really don't get targeted much. Sidney go targeted a lot so you get a lot examples of how he can interfere with a pass or make a play.

These CB may have entered into a comfort zone because of he overall help on he defense. Kind of like Morris Cliaborne. Those type of corners seemed to get shell shocked a lot when they get to the pros.  

He's not targeted a ton, but when he is he just makes plays...or prevents plays. I wouldn't say he gets a lot of help either as he is regularly on an island. Giving up a QB rating of 29 is impressive no matter how you slice it.