Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sympathy For Irsay

We as fans have it easy. We can sit from a distance and judge every decision, every play call, every draft pick and everything else without feeling the strain of real money ramifications and really hard decisions.

Irsay is in a no win situation in a lot of ways. Of the given scenarios no matter his course of action there will be a group of unhappy, doubtful, maybe even angry fans and people. Irsay isn't like many pro sports owners. The Colts are his business. He doesn't have razors or Internet companies or real estate development or truck parts and bumper cars to fall back on. This isn't his hobby. For anyone to doubt that he will do whatever he can to sustain success, sustain profit, to me doesn't understand where the Colts rank on his list of priorities. Does that mean he will make the "right" decisions? Of course not. But what it does mean is he will absolutely gather all the facts, seek the best advice, and weigh the options thoroughly and thoughtfully before doing anything. And then, to me, he has earned the right to make whatever decision he deems best, no matter the fallout. That's all we can ask of any owner. Knee-jerk, emotional decisions rarely turn out positive. Irsay has spent a year assessing this situation, watched his team win twice all year, and if his doctors, his cap people, his closest advisors tell him to keep or release Manning, I will move forward as a Colts fan all the same.

I know there have been other Irsay threads, but I wanted to start this as more of a 'I'm glad I'm not you' thread. For all the options, for all the tough decisions, for all the pressure this situation has and will cause, I am glad it isn't me having to make the call. So for that, I just want to wish Irsay the best, due diligence until you're gagging on it, advice until you can't stand to hear another word, and patience to wait until a decision has to be made, not when anyone else thinks it has to be made. This moment will shape the next generation of Colts players, play, and fans. Not easy….

We as fans have it easy. We can sit from a distance and judge every decision, every play call, every draft pick and everything else without feeling the strain of real money ramifications and really hard decisions.

Irsay is in a no win situation in a lot of ways. Of the given scenarios no matter his course of action there will be a group of unhappy, doubtful, maybe even angry fans and people. Irsay isn't like many pro sports owners. The Colts are his business. He doesn't have razors or Internet companies or real estate development or truck parts and bumper cars to fall back on. This isn't his hobby. For anyone to doubt that he will do whatever he can to sustain success, sustain profit, to me doesn't understand where the Colts rank on his list of priorities. Does that mean he will make the "right" decisions? Of course not. But what it does mean is he will absolutely gather all the facts, seek the best advice, and weigh the options thoroughly and thoughtfully before doing anything. And then, to me, he has earned the right to make whatever decision he deems best, no matter the fallout. That's all we can ask of any owner. Knee-jerk, emotional decisions rarely turn out positive. Irsay has spent a year assessing this situation, watched his team win twice all year, and if his doctors, his cap people, his closest advisors tell him to keep or release Manning, I will move forward as a Colts fan all the same.

I know there have been other Irsay threads, but I wanted to start this as more of a 'I'm glad I'm not you' thread. For all the options, for all the tough decisions, for all the pressure this situation has and will cause, I am glad it isn't me having to make the call. So for that, I just want to wish Irsay the best, due diligence until you're gagging on it, advice until you can't stand to hear another word, and patience to wait until a decision has to be made, not when anyone else thinks it has to be made. This moment will shape the next generation of Colts players, play, and fans. Not easy….

This is by far my favorite post of the the offseason. It is most importantly, real. You obviously have empathy, which is not a necessary virtue to be a fan. I feel so giddy that the Colts are owned by a young thinking, progressive owner. That is so rare when you think of "old money". He isn't hiding behind others, or making excuses.

Mad props to Jimbo.....and speaking of mad props, about time for that Mad Hatter Hat.