Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best Team Draft

(I GOT MOST OF THIS STUFF FROM riftastic28'S MONSTER DRAFT)

where all in love with luck even me. We trade luck and get a kings ransom we could get 3 first rounders 2 second and 2 thirds...I dont know if the colts would be able to resist...i doubt this would happen but u never know heres how the drafts should look if they traded with the browns...

If we traded are 1st pick to the browns this is what the draft should look (HOPEFULLY).

RD1 PK4 Morris Claiborne CB (browns)

RD1 PK22 Mark Barren SS or Fletcher Cox DT (browns)

RD2 PK34 Zach Brown OLB or Alshon Jeffery WR

RD2 PK37 Lamar Miller HB (browns)

RD2 PK47 Kelechi Osemele OG (freeney traded to jets)

RD3 PK65 Nick Foles QB or Kirk Cousins QB (the one that is available we draft)

RD3 PK68 Nick Toon WR (browns)

RD4 PK97 Micheal Brewster C

I think the colts should dump luck and manning and go with nick foles. Manning is due to much money and he`ll never be the same and hes old ..2 luck is a stud but what teams will be willing to give for him is a whole alot and u can take advantage of some team out there looking to get him. I dont think manning, freeney, mathis, brackett, addie, wayne, and clark will be back and thats a whole lot of money for us to spend.

(I GOT MOST OF THIS STUFF FROM riftastic28'S MONSTER DRAFT)

So you are saying dump Manning and don't draft Luck? That will not go over well here. So you would want to have a team like the Bears who have always had solid defenses but haven't hada solid QB since Sid Luckman? If Manning goes it's clearly Luck. In fact if Manning were to have retired last year, everybody would be ecstatic to have the opportunity to draft Andrew Luck right now. Just a difficult situation all around.

The #1 way to run a franchise into the ground is to start without a franchise quarterback. These type of players are not "commodities"...they are extremely difficult to come by and we just so happen to have the 1st overall pick in a draft year with two of the best quarterback options you could hope for. We have no idea if Peyton can play again. We MUST take Andrew Luck or RGIII. Let the rest of the draft shape out how it will.

Everyone is trying to trade down and get an entire team of great players...well it doesn't work that way. There are skill positions that have to be drafted highly and almost without exception that starts at QB.

Dumping luck AND manning and going with a worse QB in the later rounds is a good way to run the franchise into the ground for a long time. You do not pass up on a franchise caliber QB especially the way the league is now. QB is the most important position and you want the best player you can get at that position whether it be Manning, Luck, Rg3 , Flynn or whomever. But to select a worse QB when you have a chance to take the best one in the draft is not a good move.

It reminds me A LOT of the 2008 Miami Dolphins.(a little different since they didnt trade down) They had the #1 pick, they had the option to take Matt Ryan. They didn't and took Chad Henne in the 2nd round instead. That didn't work out so well. I know it's hindsight and two different franchises but its a good example of why you usually don't take a worse QB when you have the chance to take a best one. They did get a great pick in Jake Long. Unfortunately this is not the first time the dolphins have passed up on a franchise caliber QB. It has haunted them for over a decade and I dont want the Colts in that same position.

I have to say I agree with everyone else here. You have to drafft a QB first. You get your QB and build around him and his talents. They keep saying they are rebuilding but you don't start rebuilding without a QB. That makes no sense. If Peyton is released then we will most likely be getting Luck. After that I say we should go for a good CB. I would be more worried abut getting some defensive players 1st. You can always get a good WR in a later round or in free agency. I agree with letting go of Addai and Brackett. I don't think we need them. I like Dallas Clark but think we would be fine without him. Mathis would fit in well for a 3/4 and we need some experienced players of defense. Our defense needs a good leader. I would hate to give up Freeney so hope they can fit him into the plan.

The #1 way to run a franchise into the ground is to start without a franchise quarterback. These type of players are not "commodities"...they are extremely difficult to come by and we just so happen to have the 1st overall pick in a draft year with two of the best quarterback options you could hope for. We have no idea if Peyton can play again. We MUST take Andrew Luck or RGIII. Let the rest of the draft shape out how it will.

Everyone is trying to trade down and get an entire team of great players...well it doesn't work that way. There are skill positions that have to be drafted highly and almost without exception that starts at QB.

There's was no need to put that little comment there in the end, as you yourself no it's not true.

There's was no need to put that little comment there in the end, as you yourself no it's not true.

I said almost without exception. The number of 1st round quarterbacks that became franchise quarterbacks is staggering. I'm not saying all these guys are HOF's or even Pro-bowlers, but they are currently franchise quarterbacks that in most cases you build a team around. It all starts there...the quarterback...and if you have a shot at getting a great one it could setup your franchise for a decade. Hey, I love the Tom Brady story as much as everyone else, but the odds are against it.

Compare the list below to that of notable 2nd round quarterbacks (Favre, Esiason, Drew Brees, Ken Stabler...and that's about it). You have Matt Shaub, Dan Fouts, Joe Montana, and Frank Tarkenton who were 3rd round picks and not much else of note from that round. After that you have Rich Gannon and Joe Theisman who were 4th round picks and Matt Hasselbeck who was a 6th round pick along with TB. I won't even bring in guys like Unitas and Staubach who were in the 10+ round days. My point being that there are almost as many starting/franchise quarterbacks drafted in the 1st round as there have been notable quarterbacks in all the other rounds since the beginning of the NFL. The sheer number of drafts in round 2-6 over a span of 30+ years is vast compared to the sum of round 1 picks.

1st Round Quarterbacks

John Elway

Troy Aikman

Drew Bledsoe

Peyton Manning

Michael Vick

Chad Pennington

Ben Rothlisberger

Jay Cutler

Carson Palmer

Philip Rivers

Eli Manning

Alex Smith

Erin Rodgers

Matt Ryan

Joe Flacco

Mark Sanchez

Josh Freeman

Matthew Stafford

Cam Newton

Bold denotes 1st overall pick

I said almost without exception. The number of 1st round quarterbacks that became franchise quarterbacks is staggering. I'm not saying all these guys are HOF's or even Pro-bowlers, but they are currently franchise quarterbacks that in most cases you build a team around. It all starts there...the quarterback...and if you have a shot at getting a great one it could setup your franchise for a decade. Hey, I love the Tom Brady story as much as everyone else, but the odds are against it.

Compare the list below to that of notable 2nd round quarterbacks (Favre, Esiason, Drew Brees, Ken Stabler...and that's about it). You have Matt Shaub, Dan Fouts, Joe Montana, and Frank Tarkenton who were 3rd round picks and not much else of note from that round. After that you have Rich Gannon and Joe Theisman who were 4th round picks and Matt Hasselbeck who was a 6th round pick along with TB. I won't even bring in guys like Unitas and Staubach who were in the 10+ round days. My point being that there are almost as many starting/franchise quarterbacks drafted in the 1st round as there have been notable quarterbacks in all the other rounds since the beginning of the NFL. The sheer number of drafts in round 2-6 over a span of 30+ years is vast compared to the sum of round 1 picks.

1st Round Quarterbacks

John Elway

Troy Aikman

Drew Bledsoe

Peyton Manning

Michael Vick

Chad Pennington

Ben Rothlisberger

Jay Cutler

Carson Palmer

Philip Rivers

Eli Manning

Alex Smith

Erin Rodgers

Matt Ryan

Joe Flacco

Mark Sanchez

Josh Freeman

Matthew Stafford

Cam Newton

Bold denotes 1st overall pick

What is the first round quarterback list of? Just first round quarterbacks that you wanted to list? Don't forget guys like Andy Dalton and Ryan Fitspatrick, 6th and 2nd rounders respectively. A lot of quarterbacks come from the first round, but that doesn't mean they have too.

And the almost without exception part, you basically said that it almost never happens, when that is not true.

What is the first round quarterback list of? Just first round quarterbacks that you wanted to list? Don't forget guys like Andy Dalton and Ryan Fitspatrick, 6th and 2nd rounders respectively. A lot of quarterbacks come from the first round, but that doesn't mean they have too.

And the almost without exception part, you basically said that it almost never happens, when that is not true.

2nd and 7th round respectively.

What is the first round quarterback list of? Just first round quarterbacks that you wanted to list?

No...these were the 1st round quarterbacks that I consider to be franchise quarterbacks...guys you build a team around.

Don't forget guys like Andy Dalton and Ryan Fitspatrick, 6th and 2nd rounders respectively. A lot of quarterbacks come from the first round, but that doesn't mean they have too.

I'm not forgetting those guys. Ryan Fitspatrick has only just become known as a quality quaterback and Dalton looks to be one but it's only been one year. Both of them could easily have been included in my list, but that still doesn't affect the odds very much.

When you compare the number of franchise quarterbacks....guys who eithere were undisputed HOF candidates or went to multiple (3+) probowls then you will see how many of those guys came in the high rounds...primarily the first round. I'm not saying they can't...I'm just looking at the odds. I don't want to take an unnecessary chance on a lower round player when we have the 1st overall pick and a great looking kid who can come in here and be someone we build a team around. Just like we did with Peyton.

I agree we have the 1st pick you gotta take a QB. It does not make sense to do anything else. Even if we keep Peyton we need someone when he is gone. The fact that we have never had a good backup never really bothered anyone til this year. Orvlovsky has some potential that showed some this year but they waited til last few games to play him. Either way with Peyton or without we have to draft our future QB. Everyone knows there is no guarantee picking a guy 1st round 1st pick that he will be elite. The probability of Luck turning out to be great though is too much to just pass up. This team right now needs a QB for the future and a better defense. Thats what they need to do draft time.

I'm on the fence in what direction to go...we can dump/trade the 1st overall pick and get a ton of choices rounds 1-3, and possibly next year too, or we pick Luck and build around him and our needs...that also leaves out PM possibly returning. What of he's full strength then do you build around him for winning now and still try to prepare for the future...either way it's a no lose situation with a ton of changes coming to Colts land. If I had my way. I'd trade down and get the defense we need, and a few offensive weapons then build on that for next year. To be fair I really like Luck...it's a hard decision.

I'm on the fence in what direction to go...we can dump/trade the 1st overall pick and get a ton of choices rounds 1-3, and possibly next year too, or we pick Luck and build around him and our needs...that also leaves out PM possibly returning. What of he's full strength then do you build around him for winning now and still try to prepare for the future...either way it's a no lose situation with a ton of changes coming to Colts land. If I had my way. I'd trade down and get the defense we need, and a few offensive weapons then build on that for next year. To be fair I really like Luck...it's a hard decision.

Thats my choice, offers will be to good to pass up giving ammo if want to trade up for QB nnext year and can still take very good QB later with extra picks as welll as fill many holes to fill

& as those who say we cant pass up on a franchise QB, well we were ridiculed when we passed on trent dilfer and look how well we did later in the QB position, do u need me to state the name ( LOL )

Thats my choice, offers will be to good to pass up giving ammo if want to trade up for QB nnext year and can still take very good QB later with extra picks as welll as fill many holes to fill

& as those who say we cant pass up on a franchise QB, well we were ridiculed when we passed on trent dilfer and look how well we did later in the QB position, do u need me to state the name ( LOL )

Did you just compare Luck to Trent Dilfer? Is Dilfer even in Kiper's top 100 draft QB's much less number 2 like Luck.

Did you just compare Luck to Trent Dilfer? Is Dilfer even in Kiper's top 100 draft QB's much less number 2 like Luck.

No I would not compare Luck to Dilfer , Dilfer was never considered the prospect luck is, Not Many are, thats why he is considered so special and so valuable in trading that # 1 pick

, What I was saying was simply the Colts were crtized that draft for not taking him nor another QB ( forgot name ) as each were supposed to be franchise QBs coming out of college, , later on In the end we still wound up with the greatest

The 2 situations though are not truly analogous as potential & polish of lucks QB physical & mental abilities R so far superior to where Dilfer was in College, just saying colts were crtized for not taking the then franchise QB as Difer was called

Then what you're saying is let's sacrifice winning later for winning now but our picks won't come till later so we won't win now either.

How do you figure that? Lets say we got 3 first rounders plus later rounds. having 2 first round picks next 3 years including this year isnt setting you up to win now as well as the future? They arnt going to trade the pick so it doesnt really matter. But i still do believe that trading down if Manning is healthy would give the Colts the best chance of success.