Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

best offensive formation vs 3-4 defenses

rughstr

why don't the colts use the double tight double wing or split w a single back which they used so effectively for one or two series against san diego in the playoffs several years ago n then never went back n reused it; i have been a colts fan since 62 n one thing old school offenses did was to remember the formation that gave opponents the most difficulty; does anyone have an answer for something so simple; thanks,

why don't the colts use the double tight double wing or split w a single back which they used so effectively for one or two series against san diego in the playoffs several years ago n then never went back n reused it; i have been a colts fan since 62 n one thing old school offenses did was to remember the formation that gave opponents the most difficulty; does anyone have an answer for something so simple; thanks,

I like it and I think it makes perfect sense. I think with an improved offensive line and Eldridge at full health, no reason they shouldn't be able to do this.

i think the way you beat the 3-4 defense is to run it and throw short passes because the rush comes quick in the defense since you dont know whos coming and whos dropping so you dont have time for long patterns

i think the way you beat the 3-4 defense is to run it and throw short passes because the rush comes quick in the defense since you dont know whos coming and whos dropping so you dont have time for long patterns

If you have a mauling offensive line (which the Colts don't have), you can handle the 3-4 easily. That's just a general case though, many 3-4 teams run specific defenses with their own strengths and weaknesses. For example, the zone blitz is very good because it is a confusing and aggressive defense, but it is weak against things like screen passes because it lets you put a more agile WR or RB against a much slower DL. It's also been shown that if you go out in a 4 WR set, you can control Polamalu easily and their defense isn't as big a threat.

Peyton is getting better at reading 3-4 defenses because so many teams are using it now in the NFL. I wouldn't say he has trouble against it anymore. He will know just what to do to beat any defense he faces.

If you have a mauling offensive line (which the Colts don't have), you can handle the 3-4 easily. That's just a general case though, many 3-4 teams run specific defenses with their own strengths and weaknesses. For example, the zone blitz is very good because it is a confusing and aggressive defense, but it is weak against things like screen passes because it lets you put a more agile WR or RB against a much slower DL. It's also been shown that if you go out in a 4 WR set, you can control Polamalu easily and their defense isn't as big a threat.

Peyton is getting better at reading 3-4 defenses because so many teams are using it now in the NFL. I wouldn't say he has trouble against it anymore. He will know just what to do to beat any defense he faces.

i dont know. he struggled against the chargers and cowboys 3-4 last year. guess we will find out how well he will do vs the zone blitz this year

i dont know. he struggled against the chargers and cowboys 3-4 last year. guess we will find out how well he will do vs the zone blitz this year

I was at the Cowboys game last year, and I wouldn't say he struggled in that game, he did make a couple bad choices and couple were just tipped balls that got picked. He did have around 400 yards that game, I know Reggie alone had 200 yards receiving